Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

COMING OFF PERCOCET?

I HAVE BEEN TAKING PERCOCET FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW, EVERYDAY! IT STARTED FOR BACK PROBLEMS AND THE AMT. I WAS TAKING WAS OKAY IN THE BEGINNING, THEN I STARTED TAKING MORE AND MORE THAN I SHOULD.  IT IS NOW TO THE POINT WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANY LEFT, I AM RUNNING AROUND WORRYING ABOUT WHERE I CAN GET MORE, I AM EVEN GOING IN DEBT FROM BUYING THEM OFF THE STREET.  I AM SCARED AND DON'T WANT TO BE IN PAIN ALWAYS, BUT, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO COME OFF THEM WITHOUT HAVING HEART FAILURE OR WHATEVER.  IS SOMEONE JUST ABLE TO STOP COLD TURKEY? OR, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS MEDICATION I CAN ASK MY DOCTOR FOR TO HELP ALLEVIATE SOME OF THE WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS AND GET ME EITHER TOTALLY OF THESE THINGS OR AT LEAST BACK TO TAKING THEM THE PROPER WAY? I NEED SOME HELP. THANK YOU.
Hey girl. First of all, welcome! Coming here and posting is a big step in the right direction.

Is there any reason to think that you will NOT have crippling back pain without the narcotics? If so, great! You can start planning to get your life back by freeing yourself from this terrible addiction! If not, you should really talk to your doctor about your options.

As far as HOW to get off the percs, recovering addicts have different things that have worked for them. Some can quit cold turkey (that's why I'm trying), some tapered, some switched to something else (like suboxone). The only med that I can say absolutely has helped me in terms of physical w/d is Imodium, which I took maybe 15-20 pills total. Others have claimed that vitamins, supplements, anti-depressants, Robitussin DM, etc. has helped them and it probably has.

My point is this: you CAN get off of the percocets! It won't be easy, but education and support can make a huge difference in your recovery.

Please keep us posted of your progress.
Thank you so much for your response.  I have a dr. appt. this afternoon to speak with the Dr. and explain to him my dilemma.  I am going to research Suboxone, as I've heard alot of about it. I will keep you posted and I appreciate your concern.  I am just very afraid as to how I will feel if I just stop cold turkey!
And, having to work just makes this worse.  I will speak with Dr. today and see if he can help in some way.  Again, thank you and will be in touch.
Let us know what the doctor says. I agree about researching your options. There are a large number of helpful resources online that can help you immensely. Use discernment and look at the body of your research as a whole to help guide you to making this decision, because it's an important one.
I know that fear of running out of pills.  Getting that monkey off your back is one of the big benefits of quitting.

Please tell your physician everything.  He/she will want to help you get off the pills.  In fact, your physician will probably be very happy when you him/her that you want to quit and will rally to help.

One remedy before and during withdrawl is to drink lots of water.  Also, water melon and cantalope help to raise the fluid intake.  Anything that will speed up the flushing out of opiates from you body is a bonus.

BTW: After I quit, I was surprised that my original pain was far less than when I was taking pills.  It seemed like my body was creating more pain to justify the pills.  If I'm right, you may find your original pain to be far less than you expect after you quit.    

Congratulations on your decision to move forward.  Please remember that quitting is a process, not an event.

This Forum really helped me through W/D and the current members, going through W/D at  the same thime as you can be a great support.   I check in once a week and I am looking forward to reading of your progress next week.

Cordially,
GEORGE
Week 9  C/T
Hi and welcome!!  Coming off of any opiate has it's affects on your body and mind. going c/t is the fastest way to get clean and you will not die from it. My best advice is to come clean to your doctor and tell he or she your problem. They will not bust you for getting it off the street. Most of the time your doctor will already know you have a problem. Doc can give many different drugs to help the side effects of w/ds. Admitting you have an addiction problem is the first step your already on your way to recovery if you want. Hang in there and stay in touch with us on this forum there is good support here!!!!!
In answer to your questions:

Question: How long did it take you to quit?
Answer:  I spent three months tapering down from 30 pills to 6 pills per day.

Question: How long were you on meds:
Answer:  10 years

Question: Was it percocet?
Answer:  Originally vicodin and then tylenol/codeine

Question: Did you just wake up one day and say, ''THAT'S IT!?"
Answer:  Yes, in the middle of my taper I just stopped taking pills.

Question: Do you know if there is some type of out patient program that works maybe faster?
Answer:  I think this varies by your area.  My HMO wouldn't take me.  I think this Forum is better than any program I could have attended.

FYI:

Please remember that quitting is a proccess, not an event.  The process includes:

There is a WITHDRAWL period (W/D) of up to a week while the opiates are flushed from the body and the brain/body begin learning to live without opiates..

That is followed by 3-4 months of  RECOVERY which is characterized by the body beginning to restore itself; however, it also includes (different for each person)  craving, depression, fatigue, and sleep issues.   At the same time the body starts regenerating and you begin realizing the benefits of not using pills.  

From then on, it is SOBRIETY where we begin function in life without pills and avoid relapse.  

Cordially,
GEORGE
Week 9 C/T
Thanks for responding.  How long did it take  you to quit? And, how long were you on meds (was it percocet?) before you decided to quit?  I mean, did you just wake up one day and say, ''THAT'S IT!?" Also, do you know if there is some type of out patient program that works maybe faster?  Like, a 24 hour type program or anything like that? Please advise, any and all help from all of you is appreciated.
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Sorry about that. You just tokd my story. I starte taking Percocet for neck pain from an accident I was in. And within 2 years I was taking up to 30 10mg pills a day and had also cross addicted to Oxycontin, because the perks werent enough. But there is hope and it is not fun at first but it is so worth it. I would definetly try and find a program that you can participate in so you have the support you need to get through the hard times. Because I can tell you it is a rollercoaster. I just graduated and out patient program that I was in for almost a year and it saved my life. I have been clean for year in April. You need the support you cant do it on your own. Good luck  you can do it your awsomw.
Sad_girl
Hi, you ame to the right place. I found alot of help here.
You can do this for sure, Im 17 days clean now . and soon you will be too.
Mike

1911 . Wow i thoguht i was the only one . i swear my foot ands shoudler hurt way more when i was taking the oxycontin/percoset, then they do now. once I quit i found I could take asparin/motrin and get by,, granted, it hurts but I can handle it

mike
I have been taking percocets for about 2 years and only take about 2-5 pills a week.  I know its not much but I like them because they take away the stress after work.  If there any alternatives to get off without other medication.
Hi, I read your story and I am in the same boat just not as far as you have gotten. I also take percocet 10 mg, anywhere from 8 to 10 a day. I am suppose to take only 4. At this moment I have only 5 days left and I can not refill for another 16 days. I have been going up and down every month. I'm fine for two weeks then the it starts, I run low and panic. Several times, almost every month I end up having to cold turkey it. Everytime I slip so far into depression and DT's that I feel like I would rather die. I have 5 children to care for I lost my husband in april, we were separated at the time, he took his own life leaving all us to wounder why he did this. Two days later the apartment I had burned down and three months later I was robbed taking everything we had, at the same time my former father in law tried to take my youngest daughter from me and now our home. I have been wrapped up in the most horrible battles and nothing mad me feel any better but the meds. They made my mind feel better so that I could handle these issues, which are far from over. But I just can't take it any more! These pills which once helped make me feel in control have now taken control. I need to get off them saftly without the depression. It would help alot if anyone had some sujestions. I read everything posted and just broke out in tears, I can not let my kids down by being a mess. What should I do? Is there an alternate medication to get off these pills?? I need real help!
Sincerly,
Mom in peril  
wow my heart bleeds for you! Have you tried Cymbalta - an antidepressant and pain med, then try Suboxone for short term detox and get some support group and counselling?
Start a new thread at the top of the page.. This is an old one and will get left behind.. It is good that you are here and want to share.. Just copy and paste your info that you wrote above and start a new post of your own.. You will get alot of responses that way.. This way you might not get any, other than to do hwta I am informing you of.. Good luck
Please, looking for advice.....I took percocet for 6yrs I am now coming off of them as of 4 days ago.  I ended up in the ER because they caused me so many problems.  The doctor gave me meds.  Does it get easier at this point they are always on my mind I am trying to look forward.  I can't drink liquids.  I don't even know if this makes sense at this point.  Thank You
you need to post a new question to draw attention to ur post as it is an old thread....have u scanned the health pages for the thomas recipe?...keep posting...lots of support here
I have a stepson who is injecting percocet, he says he has stopped and the doctor has him on  a tapering med. Is this true? then he said after 2 weeks clean the doctor will inject him with a pellet or bullet so if he does get high it will make him sick?? we dont know what to believe please help
I have been taking 1/2 percocet daily for migraines for about 3 years.  I moved up to 1-2 per day, depending on the day.  I am weening off now because I only have 20 left and I am very nervous.  I took 1/2 today to take the edge off.  How long will this last?
So did you get to the Doctor's this afternoon, are you back yet , what did he say???
HELLO!  I, TOO, CAN TOTALLY RELATE.  I HAVE HEPATITIS C, TOOK TREATMENT AND WAS A COMPLETE RESPONDER, IN REMISSION FOR 6 YEARS.  I INJURED BOTH LEGS AND HAVE BEEN ON PERCOCET 10, XANAX AND ALSO BP MEDS.  I WANT OFF NOW!  I HAVE TEENAGED BOYS WHO NEED ME NOW.  I NEED AND WANT MY LIFE BACK.  PLEASE HELP ME!  HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE AND HOW BAD WILL I FEEL TO GO COLD TURKEY OFF PERCOCET?  I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR APPROX 2 YEARS.  WHAT ABOUT THE XANAX?  I AM SO SORRY TO READ EVERYONE'S STORIES...BUT I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE OTHERS WHO KNOW WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH.  PLEASE ADVISE.  PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
what are the med that i can ask my doc to get off this demon/ percoset
ill bre reading every day to see if i can get help