Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Can someone please give me some advice on how to ease hydrocodone withdraws?

I've been taking lortabs/hydrocodone the 10's for about a year now I consume about 8 pills a day. I found that I've spent crazy amounts of money of these pills and when I don't have them I feel like I can't do anything. I have a family and I just want to be clean not only for myself but for them also. So today is my last day taking them and I'm already feeling the wrath my body aches my stomach hurts I can barley eat anything when I move around it feels like I'm gonna throw up my head feels out of it. I guess what I need is some support I have no one to talk to about this so I'm basically all alone no body knows I was taking these pills I'm starting to feel depressed. If anyone can just talk to me about this I would greatly appreciate it.
Hey Justin
Hopefully you got some sleep.  It sounds like you are doing a bit better.
You are about to give your daughter the best birthday present ever.  A clean parent.
How are you feeling now?
Hi Justin Welcome to Medhelp and congratulations on your decision to get your life back. You are probably going to feel like you have the flu for a week or so. Go to the bottom of this screen and click on the Thomas Recipe it has great advice on this process that you are starting.  Just remember that every journey in life begins with a first step and you have taken that first step so Feel Proud of Yourself. There will be a lot of people on here to help you so keep on posting and You Can Do This!!!! God Bless You You are in my Prayers
Baths and focusing on killing time by being busy. Imodium will help withdrawal symptoms.  You have to take allot though. Just think 4 days from now youll be free somewhat.. exercize.. I would nyquill m yself to sleep.. its just killing time.. I went through it twice on percs over 3
years of 80mg a day.. ***** just make it the last time is the real battle
I would try not focusing on pain and tell yourself this is not ever going to happen again.. you can make it
Hi and Welcome..You have one good thing on your side and that is you only took them for a Year and not at a really High dose..You will go through some stages while detoxing the poisons out. The Physical will be over soon it is the Mental that will take time as the Brain has to re-adjust back from the removal of these Stims. Just keep drinking lots of water to flush this all out. Get some Epsom salt and take some baths to help draw the toxins out. Maybe get some Protein and Electrolyte powder to mix up some drinks..Get some good natural vit/min. We loose alot of vit/min when we use. This all will take time to kick in. You will still have w/ds but just give it Time and Patience. You will be walking in the Light soon..Try to do all the exercising you can to help get the Brain Chems and such fired back up. I wish you the best and we are always here..Some of us wave in & out. Great Group out here.
Bless
Thank you both! I hate that I've put myself in this situation especially on thanksgiving. I feel like giving up but I know that is not an option I just want to get through this and knowing it'll take a week is killing me.
Thank you for the great advice I will be posting a lot until I'm better knowing there is people listening makes me feel better.
You will get there..Please try not to put a time limit on it OK?? Just take it day by day. The time will go by fast and you will be able to look back at it all. The detox is the easy part (hard) but it is trying not to use again that takes a lot of work..Maybe look in to some Support Groups..I have 431 days today I can tell you it took Time and Patience to get here..Still have some Emotional days but I am no young chic and have used off and one for over 40 years..This is why it takes more time to Heal the Brain then someone who used for short term. You will bounce back fine..I just know it..Stick around for support..We will hold your hand day by day..
Bless
Hi Justin, and welcome to the forum! You have been given really good advice so far. I just wanted to add my support, and let you know that you can do this. It takes strength and focus. Don't lose sight of the goal. Keep posting here for support and advice, especially when things get rough. We will help you get through every step. Make sure that you cut all of your sources for pills, whether that be doctors, friends, or whatever. This is critical. Otherwise, in a weak moment, it will be too easy to just pick up that phone. Aftercare is also important, counseling, meetings and such. It helps to have live, in person support. I wish you all the best, and please keep posting!
Hi Justin and Welcome. I am proud that you have decided to take your life back from pills.  This is a big step and one to not be taken lightly.  There are many people on here that have fantastic advice, support and encouragement. WD is going to be difficult, but there are things to ease it up a little.  Warm baths, Imodium for tummy issues, drink plenty of fluids and try to get some sort of exercise everyday; even if you just walk around your house.  You can do this, we are here for you.  Good luck on your new life!
Thank you all so much. I will keep you all posted on how everything is going. The advice I have gotten from this group is amazing thank you all I will take it day by day it feels like 1 hour is 6 hours time is going by so slow.
Justin, just think in a week you'll be past the physical part. Where would you be if you used? Still wanting to quit ! The week is going to go by whether you use or not so I would push through the week without the pills and give your self a very nice Christmas present . You can do it. Everyone on here is pulling for you!!! With the Lords help and this site you'll make it. God Bless you
Hi and Welcome.  I, myself, am getting off the Hydro.  I was taking 10/325's since 2008 for chronic pain. The most I would take a day would be 4. I had a bad year last year and while I still needed them for pain, I started to use them for "other" purposes and using my pain as an excuse.  What I did was research herbal supplements before I took my last pill.  I knew that if I wasn't taking the hydro anymore, I needed somethihng to replace it. I knew that depression and anxiety would be apart of my withdrawal, so I started taking SAM-e about a month before I quit and I started taking kava kava. Also, taking a complex B vitamin and a vitamin D.

Let me tell you the SAM-e was a life saver for me! It's a mood enhancer a long w/ helping a lot w/ the osteoarthritis pain in my neck. Along with a lot of hot baths, staying hydrated,and the kava kava to help w/ my racing heart (that freaked me out the most) my withdrawal process wasn't as bad as alot of people I've heard about.

I had about 3 days of feeling like crap,runningto the bathroom, anxiety, racing heart, no appetite, no sleep etc.  Then  after that, I started to feel a little better each day. I was hopeful and my mindset was in the right place. No cravings either.  I finally got a fulls nights sleep on the 6th night and have ever since.  Today marks 2 weeks that I haven't taken any hydro.  I feel good and have energy.  I feel differently then I did months ago.  My mind is not clouded.

My point is research supplements you can take that will help your body heal. You'll get thru the withdrawal a lot better, I believe.  you can do this.  Keep reading here for inspiration, it helped me a lot.

Thank you I will try SAM-e I will admit the depression has already begun I've cried out of no where twice today I just feel sad and out of it.  Also I have diarrhea everyone in awhile. I can barley eat at all I don't feel like I'm getting hungry what so ever. Also I'm trying to get some sleep but I can't stop moving around, It is horrible does anyone know what to do in this situation?
Will muscle relaxers help me to try and get a good nights rest?
Hi Justin.  I sent you some information that might help you.  I don't think muscle relaxers will help during this time, but others might know.  The less stuff you put in your body the better.  Again... trading one drug for another...
Good luck and keep pushing.
Thank you so much for the info! I will take a run to the store very soon, it means a lot that all of you are helping through this horrible situation. Thank you so much.
Hey Justin! I just wanted to give you some support. :) I know not sleeping is rough I had a very hard time with sleep in the beginning. Try not to fight it ok? It will only make it worse. Watch a funny movie, listen to some music and just try to relax. It will get better :)
Hi justin, I just wanted to add my support.  At one time I was taking 8 10/325 Norcos and 8 5/500 Vic's a day for over a year, that was 2 years ago.  I haven't touched them since.  You can't look too far into the future while going through the WD's, you have to take small steps or you will get overwhelmed.  Just take each minute as it comes and know with each passing minute it will get better and before you know it, that week will have passed.  What helped me was taking lots of hot baths, drinking lots of fluids, trying to eat bland foods, listening to the music that I love, thinking back to how I used to be before the pills and the awesome, caring people in this forum.  I also took a good probiotic, because these pills will play havoc on your digestive system.  If you have everything right in your head you will get through this. Just as with quitting anything bad habit, you have to be right in your head first and it sounds like you're on the right track.  We have all been where you are now and have gotten through it, although there have bumps in the road, but with a good support system in place you will get over those bumps.  It's going to get better, I assure you and you will feel so much better on the other side.  Keep up the good work, keep posting, and know we are all here for you...Dave
Thank you for the support I barley got any sleep last night it's now day two and I'm trying to just get by. My muscles are all out of whack when I lay down I can't help but to keep moving tossing and turning it is horrible. I am constantly running back and forth to the toilet (diarrhea) I'm drinking a lot of power aid to keep me hydrated. I've taken B-Complex, B-12, vitamin C, and D for my body. I'm trying my hardest to stay strong, I just want this horrible nightmare to be over already. Thank you all for the support these post are helping so much.  
Thank you for the kind words. Knowing that there are people that have been three this and have overcome it really helps me stay strong.
I will continue to post how I am doing thank you all!
I had restless legs and some in my arms I felt like I had to rock or shake my legs. I would definitely get a cal/mag/zinc and try and eat some bananas. Also a heating pad works great too I would wrap my legs in my heating pad. Congrats on day 2! Keep up the good hard work it is going to get better!