Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Can you call yourself sober and still smoke pot?

A friend of mine, a sober friend, recently told me that he regularly smokes weed.  Is that really sober?  Is there any danger to this to using other substances?  Kind of worried me but then again, he's not like he was when using.  
IMO, no, he's not sober, his mind is still clouded.  I believe it's possible this could lead to a relapse of his previous substances, as he is not thinking clearly and someday might just say 'what the heck'.  
Yes, IMO, yes. I disagree with the old school thought of one still smokes it will lead to more. If it were not for weed I don't know if I could have made it though withdraw 7 years ago. Weed keeps me happy, and I have no desire to ever go back to anything else.
Yes. That’s my opinion.  There isn’t a right answer.  On both sides of the issue valid points can be made.  So for me marijuana is okay and your still sober.  I’ve been exposed to other definitions of sobriety and personally don’t believe there is a one size fits all approach. That’s just me though.
No, your friend is not clean.  The theory of getting and staying clean is not using ANY mind altering substances to live.  It's not use a lesser form of drug that maybe doesn't get you in as much trouble.  IMO...it disrespects all of us that ARE doing it without using anything.  I mean, honestly, how hard is it to stay sober when your smoking pot....you still have that something to take the edge off, so why bother learning how to deal with things as they are?  Addicts are addicted to drugs....alcohol is a drug.....the disease is not defined by the type of drug we did?  A drug, is a drug, is a drug, is a drug...................you get what I'm saying?  
Certainly I respect everyone's personal opinion, but yes, motye51, I feel the same, you said how I feel about the subject perfectly.  

And please everyone, let's not get into a debate.  mombojombo asked the question that if her friend smoked weed, was she really sober?  We've given her our opinions...which we are all entitled to...now she can come to her own conclusion.  

Peace~  
Kelcoo, exactly, thank you, there is no 'right answer', because to each his own.
**was HE really sober.
I agree with you. “Clean” means a certain thing in the recovery community and someone smoking weed is not “clean”. I did want to point out one thing though: It’s possible to be clean and not be healthy. If someone is drinking a six-pack of soda a day, they are clean, but are they healthy? If they are eating 1000 calories a day of junk food, they are clean, but are they healthy? If they drop all their disposable income on shopping or gambling, they are clean but are they healthy? Now, if they have a couple hits of weed a day and are living a happy and balanced life, they are NOT clean, but maybe they ARE healthy. The concept of being clean is very important as a part of recovery, but I’ve always believed it’s also important to keep a holistic view of overall health in long-term recovery.
COMMUNITY LEADER
No, not in my opinion, you are using a mood altering substance.  
If he isn’t drinking ALCOHOL then yes, he is technically SOBER (by definition). BUT if he has poly substance abuse issues and isn’t just and “alcoholic”, but is, in fact, an ADDICT then he is definitely NOT CLEAN because Addicts must abstain from all mind altering, mood changing chemicals to be considered clean.
I really appreciate these responses.  There are different opinions to be sure.  I want the best for my friend.  
My opinion is yes you can be sober.
Depends on who you ask! If you ask me I would say YES, as long as it's legal inside where you reside.  I do not smoke weed but I believe it is safer & less intoxicating than alchohol or pills. It should be legalized throughout the US & decriminalized. Some people have medical cards & smoke it to relieve pain, adhd, seizures, ptsd, diabetic neuropathy, ms, fibro, RA, chemo effects, ETC.
WE MUST ABANDON ALL ARCHAIC BELIEFS & LAWS! Everything we were taught & conditioned to believe when we were children is inaccurate!!!!