Can yrs of drug abuse cause heart problems

Can any1 tell me after yrs of drug abuse cause heart problems. As in just out of hospital after a minor heart attack. I'm scared I don't want to leave Kim I'm paranoid defeated and so helpless
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes it can James.  You are clean and sober now right?  Why do you feel so defeated and helpless?  Talk to me James
how are you James?  we love you.

Meegy
Yes I'm still clean. But my family don't want to know me Sarah. This is what makes me sad. I done everthing they wanted. My niece is getting married but me or Kim are not invited. No addicts allowed. I thought I had done the right thing getting clean. And I mean my whole family including my mum. Kim is giving me a hard time. She is only telling the truth. My grandchildren did not even get a birthday cards. So Kim is right they have no love for me or my grandchildren. I'm not even getting on with Kim as it must hurt her. She tells me the truth and she has nothing good to say about them. Kim does not understand my family as Kim's mum and bro are so different. They show love I did not get one birthday card from my family. But Kim's family got me a card and a present. Anyway I think all this caused me to end up in hospital I can't think of anything else
Hi Meegy I no you love me and I you. I've been having a hard time of it lately. Thank you Meegy for your nice comment. It means a lot to me big hug for you Meegy.   James
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am so happy to hear you are still clean!!  As for family....this is tough as we burnt so many bridges along the way.  Our families dont trust us and it takes a long time to regain that trust.  Just us putting down the dope doesnt take all the trust issues away.  We can talk till we are blue in the face but it is our actions that speak the loudest.  This will take time.  You did the right thing by getting clean so please dont doubt that.  You have kim and her family by your side.  Focus on that.  Remember we cant control how others think.  Cheer up my friend, we all love you here too~
Thank you Sarah I know you do love all our MH members. I'm not going back to see my own family. Ill stick with Kim and her family I know they love me and are so proud of me. I made a mistake but it seems my own family wont forgive or forget the embaressment I have caused them. Now I know its there loss. I could not have ment that much to them. The only one who would have been proud of me is no longer here my old dad.Sarah if I did not have Kim and her family I would most likely be dead. It sounds harsh but its true. If they don't want to acknowledge what I have worked so hard for then its my family who have the problems. But as Kim said you can choose your friends but not your family. And it seems they want me to fail. But ill keep rocking the clean world. Sarah I will cheer up theres no point longing for love when my family wont show me love. I will talk to my drug councillor next week about this. So thank you Sarah and Meegy for your concern this could have cost me everything.My life my wife my own family son daughter grandkids they keep me going and always will. As long as I have them in my life then I will be ok. Just upsets me that my mom and brothers and sisters dong give a dam about my life or its out come.,,,,,James
oh James like i said in the note im just very sorry.  and even though this is something *I* am working on myself, and i cant take my own advice (im trying though) your family / parents are not the arbiter of your worth as a person.  you know that deep down.  Everything that you do clean and honest is a testament to your new, precious, incredible, brave life!!!  as long as you stay clean and keep moving forward, you can walk tall and proud without a second's hesitation.  i told one of my students once (his parents had sent him to live in a group home and he felt abandoned) it's not that they don't want to show you they care, they can't.  and i don't know why James.  it aint right.  but ya.  when i had my 'suicide' attempt i called my parents from the hospital.  they were not too comforting.  and i have not heard from any of them since.  i feel like they don't care if i'm alive or dead.  but these are all issues im working on.  at my core i know that i am the victor ... i have to accept and forgive them, i guess.  as Rilke said, "Be patient and without resentment and think that the least we can do is to make his becoming not more difficult for him than the earth makes it for the spring when it wants to come.  And be glad and confident."

love to you

Meegy
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you both remember blaming everyone else for our problems?  I know i did.  Why did we do that?  So we didnt have to take a look at our own issues, our insecurities etc.  None of us wanted to step out of our comfort zone even when that zone was killing us.  Our family members are no different.  As long as they can keep blaming us they dont have to take a look at their own actions.  It is too bad but we must place one foot in front of the other and continue walking our recovery path.  I know first hand how this hurts and it comes with so many unanswered questions,  We learn to love ourselves and with that the rest falls into place.  We cant control them but we can control how we respond to the situation.  Just know you both are loved so very much by me and so many more here~
aw you brought tears to my eyes.  ty Sarah
How are you today James??

I too had a silent heart attack and did not know or have any sings of a bad heart at all. No high blood pressure or so forth. I now have 2 stents in. I had almost 2 yrs of clean time before I found out.When we leave our drugs alone and come clean we do go through a Grieving cycle. Both you & I have lost loved ones during our recovery and had to go through this again. Having a Heart issue also can bring on some Depression and Grieving. However, I know now that my Lord has given me a second chance in Life. I had to go through this without my Family, like my Mom, Dad and such, as they had passed before I knew this. At least they where still on earth when I first came clean. Yes, I do feel that my drug use played a BIG role in my heart disease, because i had always ate healthy and exercised. My DOC where the ones that got me wired up and going fast, so therefore it pumped the Heart hard. I started doing uppers at the age 13-14. I would tap in and out of using or drinking until I got really hooked in the later 90s and finally came clean in 2012. .So, again Yes, my drugs damage my Heart organ. This can happen to any of our organs. They break down first.

You got some great feedback regarding family. Just hang in and focus on You and Kim right now. They will see the Light soon. Some people just do not get or understand this Disease and they might judge. They are NOT our Judge, so plz do not let it bring you down. Pray for them and sooner or later they will come back around. If they are Negative people then you do not need that right now in your life anyway. Just keep your chin up and move forward and up.
God be with...
Vickie
vic I'm angry with my famiy I hd a hospital appointment they were ment to  take me but never turned up.im very angry and hurt I wont be disrespectd. they judge me everyday sorry for venting. I will have to stay  away  from them

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community