Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Chronic Pain and Alternatives

What is there for people with chronic pain to use to help with the pain? I can't take motrin or aspirin and Tylenol works on absolutely nothing, so for someone like me, what else is there?
Hmmm..I don't know hunny.   Some people really do need the opiates for legitimate reasons.  Sounds like maybe you need to talk with your physician about your pain management and desire to not be dependent on opiate therapy.  
Apparently I am just stuck
nothing to help?
When I first came off pain meds, nothing OTC worked as my body was reregulating my pain for what it really was.  The opiates cause tolerance and rebound pain.   Salonspas patches, creams, ointments, hot showers and kept on taking aspirin, ibuprofen to take edge off in the beginning.   If it continues, I would discuss with your Dr what options you have that are non narcotic.  
That is my problem though, I can NOT take motrin or aspirin, that is the one huge problem that I face. I really wish that I was able to take motrin as it works well, but if I take it, I can literally die from it. Same goes with aspirin.
What about naproxen sodium?  (Aleve)
It is a NSAID which I can't take, I kind of feel like someone like me is screwed. I have chronic pain but I have had so many other issues and have had to have many blood transfusions and I had to have a part of my stomach removed due to a bleeding ulcer that wouldn't heal after two years of meds. for it and so now I only have part of my stomach and everything was re-routed and that is why I can't take NSAID meds, motrin based products and aspirin based products, they all cause bleeding which for me could be deadly. :( Not sure if I am just stuck in this spiraling rut or what. I have stuck to my regimen of only taking 4 a day of the Hydrocodone 10/500 instead of 6 (which on real bad days would be 8) but am I going to have to suffer forever staying on a lower dose regimen or will I be able to find some other relief to get totally off the meds. I am on now?
Thank you, I have had severe back problems and was diagnosed with scoliosis in grade school, from there it went to bulging disks, herniated disks, degenerative spine disease, and so on. I am actually missing a vertebrae in my spine which causes severe compression on my lower back, my Doctor laughed (jokingly) at me and told me that if I were taller it would help. Being under 5 feet tall isn't a blessing sometimes. The pressure is unbearable some days but I do manage. I have never taken more than 10 in a day which is a lot, I know. Most days I stuck to taking the 6 I was prescribed, but when all of my stomach issues came in to play I was taking more like 8 a day when the pain was bad. There was a time where I was given dilaudid and demerol but I didn't want to stay on that so I went back to the Hydrocodone/APAP......I guess I don't mind taking the meds, I just do NOT want them controlling me or my finances, I want to know that IF they are my only solution that I can and will be able to stick to a regimen and not go overboard and spend money that I don't have and  I don't want to get into a bad situation because of them. I am not saying I am not in one already because I am, grrrr, this is so frustrating!
I feel ya here and I am here to tell ya OTC stuff will help. I have had two major back surgeries and used to think the same thing. When on pain meds for a long period of time what happens is our body and mind become dependent on the meds and eventually your mind will physically make you hurt worse to get you to take the meds it wants. Sounds crazy I know but it is the truth. Log story short I got clean and two weeks into it I was noticing OTC meds were working better and better because my body was getting again used to not having the meds and my mind was no longer creating pain on top of the real pain I have. I have been clean now for around two years and after I did physical therapy and have also had some steroid/cortisone shots I can handle the pain without pain meds. Ibprofen Tylenol and when it does get bad ice and heat will help me out. I would suggest talking to your doctor about an NSAID which are anti inflammatory meds since you say you can't take ibprofen and they should help a lot especially once you have some time off of the narcotic pain meds. But I can promise the longer and longer you are on pain meds the less and less they work but the more and more you take. At the worst of my addiction I was taking between 450-550 mg of oxy or 200-300 mg of opana and even with enough narcotics in me to kill five full grown elephants the pain was still there and I had finally just had enough and realized I was really close to killing myself by taking so much and the pain was still there so I had to do something and the rest is history and I can say today my back feels better than it ever did while I was on pain meds. Well feel free to shoot me a private message of ya got any questions or just wanna talk whatever the reason may be I will help ya any way I can

Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
Thank you but that is the problem, I can't take anything like Aleve, Advil, Motrin, I can't even take Excedrin. My Doctors and I have talked repeatedly about this and I feel stuck because the Dr.'s are telling me that my only option is nothing or narcotics, I don't know what to do anymore............
This may sound off the wall, but be open to alternative treatment. I go to an acupuncturist and it really is amazing for some... and im a huge skeptic, but it worked for me!
I would suggest you find a good pain management dr like I finally did. If you do look for a pain management place tho and in their advertisement or whatever explaining what kind of things they offer if you see "opiate treatment" just keep looking because I found out that when they say that it means they are not going to address the cause of the pain and try fixing it they are going to just keep feeding you more and more pain meds and that's not what you want. My pain management doctor offers all kinds of different things from physical therapy to cortisone shots and nerve burns and that's the kind of pain management you want so they can try and actually fix the problem not just mask it with pain meds
And as clean guy said alternative treatment can and will help cause I'm the same way and always said there is no way someone sticking me with lil needles can help my back but I was wrong and y would be surprised how much things u think would never work really do
Excellent advice from abritt.  Pain management centers help treat the source of a problem rather than cover it up with opiates.   I went to one that did both and wish I had never took the opiate therapy part because when my use got out of control, they dropped me.   So now, no pain management for me.   I use otc pain patches, heat patches, ice, heat, hot tub, exercise, walks...and there is an anti inflammatory drug called indocin that can only be taken short term prescribed by your doc.  Mine treats me with that when my pain is out of control.    Biggest fear is you building more tolerance to pain meds and having to increase types and doseage, but that's something you have to decide.  
I also think one the that helped me more than anything after I got over telling myself nothing works ill always be in pain meds was to stay positive and keep an open mind about any kind of alternative because going into something new and telling yourself before you even try it that its not gonna work is going to do nothing but make it not work because you have already convinced yourself of that. I found that once I set my mind to it and told myself there has got to be a better way and quit convincing myself that nothing would work things actually helped me more. Your mind is VERY VERY POWERFUL and just having that positive outlook and trying to make things work even if in the end they don't will make you feel better. I mean I have actually seen things on TV where ppl have killed themself just believing they are sick whenthey really aren't. For instance one guy believed in voodoo and a voodoo priest cursed him long story short the doctors did every test they could but found nothing wrong but the guy was about to seriously die he was on life support so his doctor gets a wild idea n tells him he talked to the priest n he said he had a lizard growing in him so he gave the guy something to make him throw up n he  Threw up in a bucket and the doctor snuck a lizard into the bucket n said finally we found the problem even tho there was never a real problem and the next day the guy was leaving the hospital 100% healthy. So that's what I mean by keeping positive because if you honesty believe and convince yourself there are no other options and nothing will ever help you then you are keeping yourself from getting something that could actually help. Haha sorry that's so long I just think its crazy how your mind can actually be that powerful over your entire body but it is

Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
I didn't see anyone post this yet... Have you tried or asked about Anti-Depression or Anti-Anxiety meds? Some have a super side effect that helps treat pain. Cymbalta is one of them (check spelling) There are a lot like it that are used for pain over depression. Worth asking about.

I have been offered them but I refuse to take anthing that has long term inhabition of normal function... coming from an X-addict, lol. Those meds scare me to be honest but that's me, they might be good for you. I would ask about it because you clearly have a special case going on for you.

Goodluck

-MS
I definitely agree with the alternative root. Acupuncture, epsom salt baths, massage, theracane, biofreeze or chiropractor...
Wishing you the best and I hope you can find some relief soon.
I am too a chronic pain suffer and i know how much it su ck s!!!!!  I am not sure how many clean days you have but you will experience rebound pain, it happened to me and bad, but over time it went away.  So now i still deal with chronic pain here are some of the remedies that i do and actually help......

epsoim salt baths
heating pad
pain patches
stem (TENS machine)
Aleve

I hope this helps relieve some of your pain

Best wishes
Ice and/or heat sometimes help.  I love the ThermaCare patches.  There are also lidoderm patches that are prescript.  Voltaren gel is a great prescription gel and you can also get creams/gels that specifically compounded for you   Also some PT may help, and light swimming or even walking in a pool can be very beneficial.  Have you ever worked with a pain psychiatrist?  Acupuncture, massage may help.  It sounds like you are going to have to piece a bunch of things that bring a little relief and together they may bring you more relief.

Have you tried any other meds like Lyrica, Neurontin, Cymbalta, etc.?

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I don't go to a pain clinic, I have a regular family doctor and I also have my Gastro-Enterologist Specialist and then I also have the actual surgeon who did my surgeries to remove a portion of my stomach and re-route everything. I don't have good insurance at all and at times I have no insurance at all. That is another problem but I am very strong headed and I will figure it out. Thanks everyone.