Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Cocaine Septum Damage

I fell into a 4 month binge with cocaine and I just had an eye opener.  I basically lost control.  Yesterday I felt a little hole on the inside of my nostril against the septum.  It seemed like a layer of skin had deteriorated.  After that heart stopping find, I began to do some research into the connection of cocaine and my find and learned that cocaine can eventually cause serious damage to the septum and nasal cavity.  My question is...Is there a thin layer of skin that covers the cartlidge that is the septum?  I suppose I needed this discovery to open my eyes and I realize what I have done to myself.  Right now I am more scared that what I discovered is permanent and I may need surgery.  It must have appeared recently because I have never noticed it before.  I don't feel that it is a deep hole, but more like a skin had deteriorated and left the cartilidge bare.  This was enough of a scare for me to completely stop my use.  I had not known that this could occur until I did my research. Since I am stopping my use, is there a skin that will grow over the hole or is it bare cartlidge naturally there and I caused damage directly to my septum's cartlidge.  I feel that if a skin will grow back, I will have been lucky and need to use this as an opportunity to straighten my act.  I'm not looking for sympathy or lecture, just some help in understanding what is going to happen.  The thought of all of this is deeply concerning me and I need to know if I can let it heal itself. I know cartlidge does not grow back, but is there a skin that grow back over.  I don't believe that I caused damage to the cartlidge itself.  I keep repeating myself because this is a great concern of mine.  Does anybody know what I am talking about?  Please help.
I'm not the doctor here and hate to invade his territory but I know you have been waiting for an answer to your problem.
When I was in drug rehab, several people who used cocaine had the same thing happen to them after snorting for long periods.  To my knowledge, they were able to heal and had no long term effects.  We've all read the stories of people having to get plastic implants, etc. but I think you would probably have to use cocaine for a longer period than four months.  You should see a doctor asap however because infection of your membranes may cause even worse problems.  It sounds like you've had quite the wake up call here with your nose!  Plastic surgery can be very painful physically and financially.  Take care of your nose and the rest of yourself as well!
man i dont think that will heal itself, hope it does. good luck ps.you did get the wake up call? i hope??????
Dirk,

May I ask what site you did your research on this problem of yours?

I would like to check it out.

thanks
just wanted to say I loved your work in Boogie Nights.

The first reply to your post was pretty much righ on target.  Coke can erode away the protective membrane in your nose.  One of the first things I would be concerned about is - nosebleed.  Do you, or have you suffered nosebleeds?  I am glad this is a wake-up call and I pray you get some help right away before the damage becomes serious enough to require surgical intervention.  One thing you might try on your own while you are waiting for your appointment with a doctor... moisture, and lots of it.  Get a cold mist humidifier and put it next to your bed.  Run it all night.  Hot steam from the shower for 15-20 minutes also can help moisturize the mucosal membranes that may be dry and erroded.  Drink lots of water.  Keep yourself hydrated.  A nasal moisture product called Ocean (which is pure saline solution) and sold under many names , is cheap - and you use it like nasal spray to keep your nose hydrated.  It may help.  Any coke use though, will only hinder any good your natural attempts to get some relief are doing.  Stay Strong.  It's not easy but you can do it if you set your mind.  Get someone to look at that nose right away.

Peace,
deja
Thanks for everyones input.  I really appreciate it, but please leave ridiculous and unnecessary comments out.

I currently do not have health insurance because I am in the middle of a job transistion and that is why I am using this method to possibly learn more about what is going on.  Someone had mentioned that that layer over my septum is actually a membrane.  Is that true?  Does anyone know if that portion will heal over and grow back?  Someone also suggested using a salene solution to keep the damage moist and prevent it from drying.  Would it be safe to use neosporin to help it heal by killing germs and keeping it moist as well or will it never begin to heal over naturally?  I am looking to find a doctor, but without insurance I do not know where to begin.
If anyone would like to help me out on this through email, my email is ***@****.

Did you try mayoclinic.com ? You can E-mail them with your question.
Thank you Kate, but the portion where you can ask questions won't help with individual medical cases unless they are of broad interest and educational value to the general public.  They wouldn't handle my question, especially since they get thousands of emails a week.  Do you have any other recommendations?

You may have a hospital in your area that has a "Ask A Nurse" hotline number. Or do a search under "Ask A Nurse", but sometimes the online services ask for a fee.
Dirk my man you should be O.K.  The condition which you describe does not sound like a full blown deviated septum.  Keep the area moist and put an antibiotic cream like Bacitacin or Triple Antibiotic on the area four times a day.  Don't pick your nose.  Don't blow your nose.  Don't do coke in your nose (or anything else)  The area should heal quickly but if it does not then you will need medical attention.  Good Luck.    BOB
P.S. With a handle like Dirk Digler do you get alot of flack?
That is the Ear, Nose and Throat area of medicine.  I have terrible sinus trouble and I see an Otolaryngologist.  I did not know if you surfed and searched under that name if you might hit a case study or find some Q and A stuff.  Good luck to you.
Sincerely,
Shelly