Cold Turkey Vicodin Withdrawal

I am starting cold turkey vicodin withdrawal due to  running out of my prescription early yet again. In the past I would have just gotten some from a family member, but I cant bring myself to do it anymore. I had surgery after breaking my back and while the back is mended, the pain has not changed. I have been on pain meds (vicodin) for about 4 years now. I am working on losing weight in hopes that will help out with the pain. I have been unable to do alot of the exercising I would like due to this. I receive 90 5/500 pills per month and they have lately been gone in two weeks. I am ashamed of this. I think at most I am taking 3 in the morning and 3 when I get home from work. I have been sick with the runs and aches for about 24 hours now, but it is the mental part of this that Iam having trouble with. The evenings are depressing, yet there is nothing in my life that is depressing. I have a wonderful family, great job, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. My body is just depressed and i keep thinking if I had pills my back would stop hurting and I would be out of this funk. Please pray for me. I could use comments. I have been reading through the site. I have taken effexor for about 8 years. maybe it is time to change that. originally prescribed for anxiety/depression over nothing in particular.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum. I, too, have chronic pain and was taking hydrocodone tens, five times a day. I was okay on that dosage for quite a while but then I started taking more and more to get relief and I realized that I needed to do something before it got out of hand. Quite honestly, it scared me how I was losing control. I stopped cold turkey in November, 2011.

It is very important that you find alternate ways to cope with your pain. I talked with my doctor and receive trigger point injections, go to physical and massage therapy, and use home TENS and traction units. I also use Biofreeze gel on my neck and shoulders. It is kind of like Icy Hot only better. My physical therapist gives it to me but you can also buy it.

As for the withdrawal, you will feel like you have a bad bug for a few days. Get the supplies to help with the symptoms and just ride it out. Immodium for tummy troubles. Gatorade or something like that to replenish nutrients and stay hydrated. Herbal teas. Foods that are light on the tummy such as soup and crackers, broth, toast. Bananas for potassium which helps with the restless legs. Hot showers. Soaking in a hot tub with Epsom salts.

I hope this helps and keep posting. Posting here really helped me and still helps me get through many a rough day.

Minn
Helpful - 0
I agree with Minn.  You really need to have a talk with your back doctor.  The problem is we need more and more of the pills as we build a tolerance to them.  There has been some discussion that the brain/body actually makes the pain to keep the pills coming.  Some have detoxed to see where their pain levels actually were to help them determine what is REALLY needed.  It takes time as some say that the rebound pain after getting clean can be tough...it is like the body and brain are saying...if we make you hurt enough you will start the pills again.  The pain is real..I have been there, but after a month or so passes you may be able to ascertain how real it is.    It really becomes an endless circle.  

That is why it is important to keep your doctor in the loop to come up with other options to support you.  Minn talked about some of them.  

Stick around and post as you need support.  

I kept telling myself...YOU HAVE the FLU!  It will be over and I will feel so much better.  My brain seemed to get that and settled down a little.  It is hard, but doable!  The Thomas Recipe (bottom of the page) under Health Pages will help.  I did not to the tranquilizers and had to cut back on the Ltryosine, but the rest really helped.  Imodium, Imodium, Imodium (liquid or pills if the liquid can't be found or you can't swallow it) will help.  I took double the dosage for a few days (personal choice) and it helped so much..even with the withdrawals in general and the opiate trots which sucked.  

Hydrate and eat! ((gatorade is good) Even if it is just a little every hour or so.(boost or ensure might work for both food and drink)  You have to eat something to keep your energy up as much as possible.  

If you have Restless legs..it is hit or miss what works.  Walking seemed to help me some.  Hot bath with epsom salts..a little.  I finally had to get my doctor to refill my restless legs meds (non addictive) to get some sleep.  If nothing works,your doctor might help.  Benedryl helps some with sleep issues and you will have them.

One hour at a time is all anyone can ask.  After 2 weeks it gets a little better and I started to say, One day at a time!  Your brain will do all sorts of things to get you to take a pill.  I found if I was hungry..the cravings got worse.  I would try to eat a banana, a few grapes or a few crackers to get that under control.

The hardest part comes after the detox.  Your brain will be all over the place and will try to get you back on the pills...It is having to work and not depend on the pills to help.  

Good for you.  I hope all goes well.  You have made a good start coming here....this site has helped me so much!!!  Keep posting!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Hi, I am detoxing from vicodin right now too.  I am on day 5, doing it cold turkey also.  I am also taking effexor for depression and I have been thinking about getting off that as well, but I think it is best to do one thing at a time.  The first 4 days of no vicodin were the hardest so far. The worst symptoms for me is the depression and having NO energy. If you can take at least a few days off from work, that may help. Drinking lots of gateraid seemed to help me too. And then just doing ANYTHING to keep my mind off what is going on inside my body and mind.  I couldn't sleep, so watching movies and listening to books helped pass time.  Most of it is just patience.  I keep praying to Jesus too.  I have alot of those thoughts about how just a few pills could give me some relief, but then I remind myself that it's those pills that are causing me to feel this way. I am trying to develop a hate towards vicodin.  I keep telling myself over and over again that I hate it.  I used to tell myself how much I liked it and needed it and that is what got me in my current situation.  So now I am doing the complete opposite.  Good luck to you and I know you can do this. We all can:)
Helpful - 0
This day has been real rough. My wife is leaving tomorrow to see her grandmother who is not expected to live much longer. I have no energy. I was able to take the next two days off to take care of my daughter while my wife is gone. I have so much anxiety right now. I called to speak with my docters nurse regarding this and the Effexor, and I have not received a call back from them. This has happened several times, I am sure they get alot of crazy calls all day. I am doing ok other wise. I have taken some preemptive immodium in hopes i can catch the reah ahead of schedule. I went to the local arcade during lunch and played pinball for about an hour. This seems to be good for me. I have a machine at home so I am zoning out. I wish I had energy. Has anyone tried that 5 hour energy? Does it give a boost during this time. I have some xanax but I am not sure if I should take that when I get real anxious. Thanks for all the comments.
Helpful - 0
Been trying to keep my mind on other things, It is amazing what my mind is doing. I feel really fuzzy like things are not real. Time seems to go by at about half speed. Then in other moments i feel great. I had one of those moments a little while ago where I was up and happy and felt I could beat this to a pulp. I am worried about sleeping tonight. I have netflix and I dont have to work tomorrow.
I have had thoughts going through my head about how to get more vicodin. Thinking about if I left any anywhere or what if I fell and broke my arm. I know it sounds silly or maybe psychotic, but it is what is going through my head.
Helpful - 0
Hey man it sounds like you're ready to quit, your dose of vikes are minor compared to what I used to take, the reality is you're going to feel like crap for a while, you just have to keep telling yourself it's only temporary, I'm at 30 some days without and I thought I would never feel Better but I do now, the few weeks of misery far outweigh the torture of being addicted and letting these things run your life. If you have any questions feel free to message me. You CAN do this. Keep telling yourself that.
Helpful - 0
Great job so far! Well, the good news is that you will be home. How old is your daughter? Is she old enough to understand if you tell her daddy is sick? You can still do activities like drawing, working puzzles, or playing a board or video game or watching a movie. Take her for a walk, which will get you out of the house for a bit. Sit on the porch and watch her play. I babysat my three year old grandson during my wd one day because I promised my daughter I would, so while I don't have any little ones at home any more, I know it is tough. I explained to him that Gamma wasn't feeling well and he behaved very well and even " took care " of me.

Good luck and keep posting. We're here and will do everything we can to help you through.
Helpful - 0
Woke up this morning feeling like someone beat me up. Really jittery and cant seem to relax. My wife left for the airport. My daughter is awake earlier than usual and is watching cartoons. I am just trying to get energy and get some of this pain to go away.
Helpful - 0
able to shower and here i am back laying on the bed.wish I had energy but my head feels clear. Brain keeps playing tricks on me though.
Helpful - 0
hang in there only a couple more days and you'll start feeling a little bit better day by day it gets better from now on STAY STRONG you can do this........mine seemed to take a little bit longer this time today is day 10 for me and my brain is feeling better mabey due to a good nits sleep FINALLY !!!!! hang in there and keep posting
Helpful - 0
Have you tried any of that stuff on the Thomas Recipe? I think it's something called L-Tyrosine that's supposed to give you energy.  The whole thing is listed somewhere on this forum.  Good luck to you..Stay strong for the ones that are still too weak to jump.
Helpful - 0
You are doing great! I know it doesn't feel like it right now. It's good that you keep posting and getting it out. Right now your body is pretty ticked off at you, yet you are showing it who's boss. Take as many of those hot showers as you need, and a heating pad helps a lot, too. Keep going! You can do this!
Helpful - 0
Not sure if i am posting right or not never done this before but just wanna say these stories and support are amazing. I think its great to read them. Pinhead1000 i have been reading post from different ppl for days and your story really hit home to us I am so glad to have read it. My husband started cold turkey also on Monday we are at almost 48hrs :) he wants this so bad. His started from a work injury 2 yrs ago and then became the only way he could get through a day work. He is such a good man he works his but off for our family and others. What he is now come to understand is that his body is not meant to go as he does. His days start at 5am he works hard labor all day comes home and works more on house, yard and so on. Then spends time with the kids some days not ending til 12am then starts all over again. He NEVER just sits and watches tv. He is adhd so that is normal but not to the point of only 5 hrs of sleep a night. So he takes these to keep going in eveyday life not for thr "high" he was at about 10 10's a day. With not missing a day in 2 yrs. It started with maybe 2 a day. But now he is tired of the money he spends he is tired of still being tired all the time, he gets sick alot and he never use to. So monday he handed over all that he had and we together flushed them. He slept ok on Monday night then yesterday was pretty bad with aches, sweats, chills and so on he did not sleep last night. Today is rough what is helping him though is we keeping reading the post from everyone wether they are new or old and thats his light at the end of the tunnel. He has aked me to tell you he feels your pain and not to give up to think of you child to do it for her. These pills are the devil over time they will kill you the body can not handle it. Although he is tired the legs and lack of sleep is what is killing him. He has been taking a multi vitiam and a 90 mg of potassium(this is what i have read that helps) he does not wont to take any other kinds a meds). He is not eating as I would like him to but he is drinking alot. He says even though he feels really bad today he can tell its getting a little better. Keep commenting dont give in you can do it. Everywhere I have read says that there worse is over between days 3 and 5 you 2 are almost there. Ps he says to tell u hot baths help alot with the pain he has lived in the tub.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your comments. They really have lifted me up and given me a boost. The issue that started this whole mess happened playing football in high school. I hit a guy with the top of my helmet and ended up with the spinal fracture that no one new about. It caused problems for many years until my doctor finally figured it out and send me for an MRI. I have a ton of scar tissue after the repair surgery and the pain has been wacko. Been exercising to try and lose weight. The vicodin was keeping me going. I felt I could live life again. And maybe if I had used them properly they would have helped, but anytime a stressful situation would pop up I would throw back a couple pills and felt i could handle anything. The abuse has not been to be high, it has been to feel normal and pain free. I have done EVERYTHING, shots, PT, massage accupuncture ect... no relief of the pain. I am not sure what to do now, I know that in a week I have a doctors appointment and he will dish out more.
Helpful - 0
Praying for your husband. I have been playing pinball in the evenings to keep my mind off of this crap. I have lived in the shower. Getting better symptom wise.
Helpful - 0
Just took my daughter out for lunch.  Feeling ok. Sore, Sore Sore especially my shoulders. I have some gabapentin that I take for the nerve damage from surgery. Some people say that it helps with this. I have not had RLS like I have in the past. I think I am going to take a bath here in a minute. My daughter and I played pinball at the pizza parlor. Lots of fun. Can it be getting better? I need to keep going.
Helpful - 0
Sitting in an Epsom salt bath right now. Boy am I fat. My daughter said I would fit in the tub. Proved her wrong. Probably shouldn't be using the computer or toaster so close to the water. When I had my surgery for my back fusion, I was working in the Lowes tile department. It was not the best place for a guy with a back injury to be working. But I needed to take care of my family so I would pop a few pills before work and do what had to be done. Move freight, load out customers. I wanted to take care of my family as long as I could move. I thought the pills were my power. Just like pacman
Helpful - 0
sounds like your in better spirts pinn !!!! keep up the good work
Helpful - 0
At my daughters swim practice   Really feeling it. Just got a text from the dentist asking if I need an appointment. I know there is a 90% chance I could get Vic from them by going in and crying.  I have to be strong.  Brain is racing. Wish I could dumb it down a bit.
Helpful - 0
You gotta call your doctors and tell them you are not coming back and are not going to be prescribed narcotics.  Last October I did that and that has keep me clean longer than I have been in 5 years.  I still have relapsed multiple times but they have been short.

Do not let your mind play games.  F*** these pills man, think about how much you have been through and how much those F******* pills took from you.  It is not worth it.  Go do something nice for yourself.
Helpful - 0
Feeling dizzy right now.
Helpful - 0
be strong pinn !!!!! you know as well as i do we can always find an excuse to get the pills you dont need them my friend !!!! not much longer you can do this........
Helpful - 0
The dizziness is starting to pass. I went and found some people to talk to at swim practice. Took my mind off of the pills  
Helpful - 0
Hello, hang in there, I just posted a comment titled anxiety meds, it really works, read it and ask your doctor, it really works. And will help you thru this difficult time. It really helped me. Look it up if you'd like, it's called Vistaril and I haven't read any posts on here where anyone has tried it. Stay strong!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community