Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
536882 tn?1225512859

Coping Strategies During Holidays

With the Holiday's soon approaching, what are some suggestions for coping strategies to use during these stressful times.  We are all often invited to parties where there will be drinking & drugging.  Many of us will be faced with triggers (more-so than usual).
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
495284 tn?1333894042
COMMUNITY LEADER
I will only be attending family events this holiday season.  I wont put myself in that situation.  Now that i think about it this will be my first holiday season clean!!!!!
Helpful - 0
401095 tn?1351391770
I agree...increasing meetings and staying away from the friends who drink and drug can help for sure..depression sets in for many and that can be a big trigger for some...after my divorce i tended to get depressed this time of year for a long time...u know i had not even thought about it this year so maybe i wont!
Fortunately none of my close friends drug at all...drinking yes..but drinking has never been my bear either...course i am older and pushing 50 so i know the younger crowd is around more of this stuff...be safe,,,i think increasing meetings is a wonderful idea and if i feel depression setting in then i will try that as well
Helpful - 0
536882 tn?1225512859
Just thought it would be nice to have everyone at least take a moment and think about what they will do when the situation arises.  I think it is important to be prepared with what actions to take when it happens.

I plan on increasing my AA/NA meeting attendance, and skipping parties that have people I don't get along with or that annoy me...which is a trigger for me.  Simply saying thanks but no thanks.  And one more thing.....Not to take on more responsibilities than I can handle.
Helpful - 0
340590 tn?1290952141
i am not sure of your situation as far as addictions and the alcohol goes...i personally have no problem with a social drink, but would not put myself in a position where i would be faced with drugs at a party.  its just to dangerous to my recovery.  and remember that many a oerson has relapsed due to having a few social drinks and not thinking clearly.  please be very careful of the invites you accept.  sorry, i didnt mean to give the impression of a snotty biotch, i just know my limits.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.