Coping Strategies During Holidays

With the Holiday's soon approaching, what are some suggestions for coping strategies to use during these stressful times.  We are all often invited to parties where there will be drinking & drugging.  Many of us will be faced with triggers (more-so than usual).
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
I will only be attending family events this holiday season.  I wont put myself in that situation.  Now that i think about it this will be my first holiday season clean!!!!!
Helpful - 0
I agree...increasing meetings and staying away from the friends who drink and drug can help for sure..depression sets in for many and that can be a big trigger for some...after my divorce i tended to get depressed this time of year for a long time...u know i had not even thought about it this year so maybe i wont!
Fortunately none of my close friends drug at all...drinking yes..but drinking has never been my bear either...course i am older and pushing 50 so i know the younger crowd is around more of this stuff...be safe,,,i think increasing meetings is a wonderful idea and if i feel depression setting in then i will try that as well
Helpful - 0
Just thought it would be nice to have everyone at least take a moment and think about what they will do when the situation arises.  I think it is important to be prepared with what actions to take when it happens.

I plan on increasing my AA/NA meeting attendance, and skipping parties that have people I don't get along with or that annoy me...which is a trigger for me.  Simply saying thanks but no thanks.  And one more thing.....Not to take on more responsibilities than I can handle.
Helpful - 0
i am not sure of your situation as far as addictions and the alcohol goes...i personally have no problem with a social drink, but would not put myself in a position where i would be faced with drugs at a party.  its just to dangerous to my recovery.  and remember that many a oerson has relapsed due to having a few social drinks and not thinking clearly.  please be very careful of the invites you accept.  sorry, i didnt mean to give the impression of a snotty biotch, i just know my limits.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community