Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

DR discharged me im having a baby and on 45mg of ms contin 3 times a day!! Tried everything for help!!

I am new hear and in need of questions very fast I hope someone can help me. I was in a bad accident and had both my arms broke plus I have a sciatic nerve problem in my back I have been on 45mgs of MS contin 3 times a day for a while now. I am really starting to realize my body does not like it when I do not have my meds.
My DR tried weaning me off at 8-9 weeks pregnant I felt very unwell The taper was way to fast it went from 45mgs 3 times a day to 30mgs 3 times a day for 2 days than to 15 mgs 3 times a day for 1 week. I called mother risk because I was so scared I read so much info on detoxing a pregnant women especially in the 1st trimester is very risky and not the right thing to do. So mother risk gave me a number for a DR in Toronto to call. I called that DR and spoke with the nurse I made it clear to her what was going on and she made it ever clearer to me that that's not safe for my unborn child! She advised me to go the the walk in clinic and try to get my normal dose back until I can get into see the DR in Toronto. I did that and I went to see that DR (drove 2 hours) I get there they make me pee in a cup ect.. paper work the whole bit and after 3 hours there with my 2 cranky and tried children at this point my kids got kicked out of the office. They had to wait in a different part of the hospital!!! By now I was angry!! So after all the waiting and intake and the 2 hour drive I am told sorry you live to far away we can't help you. Did I mention I lost my family DR due to calling mother risk because I was concerned and the nurse at the Toronto Dr was calling my Family DR to let her know how important it is that I had my dose of Morphine. My family DR took it as I betrayed her and went behind her back so she discharged me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention I called mother risk on a friday and my family DR was only in on wed,and Thursdays she believes I should have waited until the next week and just called her. Ya ok like that was possible going through withdrawal raising 2 young children and fearing for my unborn childs life!! So today is the last day I have any meds left I only got enough from the walk in to last me until my appointment in Toronto just like the nurse in Toronto advised me to do and made it seem like once I see them we will figure out something then. Instead I hear sorry you live too far from us ,(they knew how far I lived from the beginning)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I thought OK today I have a midwife appt maybe she can help me? Nope she can't (lovely lady though) I don't want to be on methadone at all and the whole be treated like a @#%#!. I want to be tampered off my meds at a safer time and at a reasonable rate. But now that my midwife can not even take me in her care now im with out a midwife and a DR at all and with no meds. Everyone says methadone! I have done alot of research on methadone and I refuse to bring my child into the world dependant on anything that's not fair. I should have never listened to mother risk and lost my DR and just let someone very rapidly tamper me but I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting until my 2nd trimester and now I am all alone with NOBODY. Just ppl who see me and judge me and say here is the methadone clinics number!!!!!!!!! Someone nonjudgemental please help me :( Will my baby survive the withdrawals I am going to go though now?? Thank you

Alone and confused

PS  I do know that some women have babies on methadone and the babies where fine and needed no meds to help the newborn but the worst part is I am a single mom who has no help at all and I cant stay in the hospatal with  the baby my previos child I was home 2 hours after giving birth (midwife) I can only be in one place at one time and it will break my heart to be without the newbaby or my other 2 babys!  I just want a somewhat normal pregnacy  and to be able to have my midwife if im on methadone she can not take me into her care. Methadone is a great chioce for some women but I just don't want to go that route.
boy hun...i dont know what to say this is a tough situation your in...please stick around, i am sure there will be someone who can help you...
the only thing i can suggest is to see if suboxone can be used during pregnancy and do a quick fairly painless detox with it,like 10-14 day detox...
i just dont now if suboxone is approved or safe for pregnant women...
its worth checking into...ask someone who might now...flutterby11 posted a phone number to a place that deals strictly with suboxone, maybe they would now...
or go to www.suboxone.com and see if there is a number or place you can ask...i'm sorry hun...
I am so sorry for your situation. I don't have the answer but hope someone will help soon. Wishing you all the best.
From what I understand ......doctors do use methadone for addicted Mommy's.  It is safer than what you are taking now......so they say..........I would find a new Dr. ASAP or try to talk to your current one.  Oh, what a mess this person got you into.  I am so sorry.  I would be a little concerned about the withdrawal you might have.  Please just get to a doctor.......any doctor and explain your situation........I wish there was more i can say or do .......God Bless,

Nauty..........
I would recommend calling a MAJOR medical center, preferably a teaching type institution in your area only because you're more likely to find an OB/GYN who also specializes in addiction.  Below somewhere, is a post I made about pregnant women on drugs and the laws regarding this...In that post, at the very bottom, are two phone numbers for resources.  They should be able to point you in the right direction.  
i HAVAE BEEN THERE.  I HAVE A 5 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER WHO WAS BORN ADDICTED TO METHADONE.  YOU CANNOT TAKE SUBOXENE WHEN PREGNANT, I KNOW CAUSE I LOOKED IT UP.  IT IS VERY DANGEROUS.  YOU MUST GO TO A METHADONE CLINIC.  YOU WILL GET ONE RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE YOU ARE PREGNANT.  I AM TELLING YOU DO NOT GO CT.  YOU CAN KILL YOUR BABY, VERY DANGEROUS.  METHADONE IS SAFE TO TAKE WHEN PREGNANT THE ONLY THING IS YOUR BABY WILL BE WEANED ON MORPHINE WHEN IT'S BORN.  YOU MUST LET YOUR DOCTOR KNOW CAUSE WHEN A BABY IS BORN ADDICTED THEY KNOW!!  AND YOU WILL HAVE CPS SO FAR UP YOUR *** IF THEY FIND THAT OUT AND YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING.  CPS DOES GET INVOLVED BECAUSE EVERY BABY THAT IS BORN ADDICTED THEY HAVE TO BE NOTIFIED, BUT THEY DON'T ALWAYS MEDDLE IN.  BY GOING TO THE CLINIC THOUGH IT'S LESS LIKELY THEY WILL. WHEN PREGNANT YOU NEED TO BE ON A CONSTANT DOSE AS CHANING HOW MUCH YOU TAKE DAILY IS ALSO DANGEROUS FOR YOU BABY, YOU USUALLY GO UP IN YOUR DOSE AS WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT YOUR BLOOD VOLUME IS HIGHER SO YOU WILL NEED A HIGHER DOSE. YOU CAN HAVE A NORMAL DELIVERY.  THAT DOESNT AFFECT IT AT ALL. IT DOES NOT CAUSE YOUR BABY ANY DAMAGE OR LONG TERM RESULTS FROM IT. BUT DO NOT WITHDRAWAL.  FOR YOUR BABYS SAKE. AND SHAME ON YOUR DOCTOR FOR WEANING YOU WHEN PREGNANT.  THAT IS NOT SAFE AT ALL. BASED ON HOW MUCH YOU TAKE YES YOUR BABY WILL BE WEANED.  IT IS NOT VERY OFTEN THAT BABIES GET TO JUST COME HOME WITHOUT ANY DRUGS AFTER BEING BORN ADDICTED.  IT IS A VERY ROUGH TIME THEY GO THROUGH.  THEY GET STIFF AND SHAKE BADLY. THEY SNEEZE AND YAWN AND SUCK LIKE CRAZY.  PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE.  I STILL GO TO THE METHADONE CLINIC AND KNOW MOST OF THE GALS THERE THAT ARE PREGNANT OR WERE.  THIS IS THE SAFEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BABY.  THWE CLINIC ISN'T TO GET YOUR HIGH, IT MAKES IT TO WHERE YOU CAN FUNCTION, BUT IT IS NOT FOR PAIN RESORT.  IF YOU NEED IT FOR PAIN THEN STAY CONSISTENT ON YOUR DOSAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING IT LEGALLY CPS WILL NOT LIKE YOU GETTING IT WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION.  I HOPE I HELPED ADN KEEP ME INFORMED!!
ALSO WHEN YOUR DOCTOR KNOWS YOU ARE GOIGN TO THE CLINIC YOU WILL GET A STRESS TESS DONE TWICE WEEKLY AND AN ULTRASOUND DONE ABOUT EVERY THREE WEEKS TO  CHECK UP ON BABY, SO YOUR BABY WILL BE VERY MONITORED.  MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 5 MONTHS OLD AND IS CHUBBY, HAPPY AND IS HEALTHIER THAN MOST KIDS. I AM GLAD I CAME OUT, BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO WEAN OFF AND THEN I FOUND OUT FROMTEH SPECIALIST AT SACRED HEART HOSPITAL THAT IT IS DANGEROUS.  I WAS RELIEVED CAUSE I COULD HAVE HURT MY BABY!!  ATTHE CLINIC THEY HAVE PREGNANCY AND POST PARTUM COUNSELING SESSIONS FOR YOU TO HELP YOU WITH THIS CAUSE YOU ARE NOT ALONE. SORRY I DIDN'T SEND THSI ALL IN THE FIRST ONE BUT I FEEL LIKE I CAN BEST HELP YOU CAUSE I HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS,.  YOU NEED THE COUNSELING BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY WITH HAVE GUILT AFTER YORU BABY IS BORN SEEING WHAT THEY GO THROUGH.  BUT KNOW THIS, THEY ARE MONITERED AND THEY DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOUR BABY. THEY DROP SLOWLY ONLY IF BABY TOLERATES IT.  MY BABY WAS IN THERE FOR THREE WEEKS AND WAS ON .04 MG OF MORPHINE.  YOU CAN NURSE YOUR BABY AS LONG AS YOU ARE TAKINGLESS THAN 100MG OF METHADONE.  I HOPE YOU TAKE THIS ADVICE.  TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS YOU.
PM 1234betterlife...she is an OB nurse and can answer your questions and give you some guidance. Good luck!
It sounds as if you really want off the drugs, and that's good. I know they do put pregnant women on methadone, but I too don't feel it's A MUST. I would go to maybe an ER and just be honest. Ask them where you can go. Make sure they understand you don't want a "fix", you want help. Going C/T isn't PROVEN to cause miscarriage, but I suppose it can. You don't need to be on any pain meds while pregnant- You absolutely can taper off- You just need to find someone to help. Try every agency you can think of.. But make sure to express your want of not being on anything, GL
Thanks everybody for your non-judgemental comments. I go see a ob/gyn on May 8th outta town so I am assuming she specializes in addiction (cause we have plenty of ob/gyn in town here) I will keep you all up to date after I see her once again THANKS
I just read this thread, and WOW what awesome people are on this sight!!!!! Not ONE judgemental comment!!!!!!!! That is so awesome that good people are out there to help those of us that struggle! Good luck to you Mommy...you sound like a truley caring mommy, and I bet your baby is going to get the best of care from you! Congrats on the pregnancy, and you will be in my prayers
I just wanted to say cause I read a comment someone wrote. No you should absolutely not taper when you are pregnant!!  Unless you know for a fact don't tell someone that.  I was there just five months ago.  adn it killed me that I found out I could have harmed my baby. Yes it is proven that it causes miscarriages, it doesn't happen to all pregnancies thoguh.  But Im sure most moms are not going to take the chance of that. I fyour told you might harm your baby if you come off then dont do it.  Better safe than sorry. Dont go into an ER.  They will treat you like an addict.  And they will.  They did to my sister.  The er rarely does help anyways, all they will do is send you to a methaone clinic.  My straight up advice like I said yesterday is meet with your doctor adn be honest.  She will know what is best.  Research this.  But I will tell you that the worst time to taper is int he first timester.  That is not good.  So polease do not do this.  I would hate for somethign bad to happen.  I wish I coudl post pics of my healthy 5mo little girl.  She has not been sick or no ear infection.  and i thank god that I didn't quit while I was pregannt.  Even Cps will tell you not to come off.  I hope this helps.  I am here for you.  I just get kinda flustered when someone gives advice, when I know they have good intentions, but its not the truth.  Think abotu ti.  Withdrawals are bad.  See what they do to your body.  When babies are addicted when they are born they soemtiems have seizures, shake horribly are really really stiff adn this is just a few of the many things.  Now image an underdeveloped baby in womb going throguh exactly what you do.  I think it makes it a littler more clearer.  Pain meds are safe to take, they do not harm your baby.  They do not drug your baby or cause harm such as alcohol, meth and allthe others.  I wish you the best of luck on your apointment and keep me posted!!
Thanks guys .
I called the methadone clinic again and I go in today to give my info and health card number ect there is no Dr in the office today but the nurse is going to take all my info to speed up the process for tomorrow. To be honest I am scared as %$#@. I did not see this comming a month ago but I am willing to do whats best for my baby. I tried detoxing not by choice I ran out of pills 2 days ago and my stomach hurt so bad and my lower back that really scared the #%[email protected] outta me along with all the other symptoms but they where normal so it was the contraction type pains that make me go on my quest for a few more pills :( I was also not so nice to my other two children I did not even want them touching me . Thats not like me at all I felt so bad I broke down and cried. I hope the children's aid don't get called on me for giving birth to a dependant baby. Long story short 4 years ago my eldest son was in the care of childrens aid for my addiction to coke and crack. He was not apprehended I put him in care to get better witch I did. Then 2-3 years later I needed the pain meds and I told my DR i was 19-20 I %$#@^$ up big time hung with the wrong crowd and got caught up. I told the Dr I was honest about the problem before and I self referred myself to rehab and put my son in care until I got better by choice and that my stupid nees as a teen-young adult should not mean I have to live in pain the rest of my life. She agreed I did pee test for the dr every now and then to prove I was not abusing my meds nore any other substance. And now I can't help but to feel like a peace of #$%@ I came so far and now I have to be on methadone cause I am pregnant and can't get of the meds. I am so afraid when Children's aid gets there hands on this all 3 of my kids will be taken:) GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will they understand I was on meds and its just not safe to go off during pregnancy or will they think hahahaha we got her now she ****** up again big time. My lifestyle now compared to then is so different and so are my actions I was addicted before and now im dependant not by choice. I am so confused why is it so hard to do the right thing. It took me years to gain my pride and self esteem back and its all going out the window so fast this is eating me up like crazy. I love my kids so much I can't even stand the thought of them not being with me I am so disapointed in myself for letting my body become dependant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no, they won't. not all states have to notify cps.  i live in washington therefor the had to tell cps. my worker actually required that i go to the methadone clinic after I had my baby.  this baby was my third.  they do really get in your life thoguh, so if you have a case opeend be prepared.  but if you are a great mom then don't worry about it.  i am so glad you got on the clinic.  i hopefully have just a month left.  here's the thing.  you went to get help!!  that shows a lot.  that shows that you don't want to use but are doign the safest thing for your baby. and no matter what!!  don't let people give you sh ti for goign there.  you will here a lot of difference in opionions.  but the supprt is awesome.  i am only required to go to conseling once a month but go once a week cause i love the support adn group. but just take things into consideration.  they will look in tyour past. and they will hold a family meeting where all the pros and cons are listed adn they will come up with a safety plan for your baby.  i will pray for you. and taek this opportunity to come clean and utilize the counseling. methadone at the clinic is not to get you high but so that you can be a productive citizen, meaning you can work, taek care of your kids, do normal daily functions.  dont' let anyone get you down!!