Daughter's vicodin problem

Hello:  My daughter just confided in me tonight that she is having a problem with vicodin.  She was prescribed this pain killer for a back problem two years ago and is apparently taking seven pills a day. I am ignorant with all of this and am looking for some advice.  She is 27,very scared, and said she tried to stop but had many side effects.  She has no health insurance at this time so going to a private health center would not be an option.  She is petrified and I am heart broken for her.  I just found this out an hour ago so I am still processing all of this and looking for help and support. Is it better to wean off or quit completely?   I'm glad she confided in me because I think that's the first step in getting help but I'm not sure where to begin.  Any help or support would be appreciated.  Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I quit cold turkey four times and it was very very diificult i have never weened off of them so i cant say much about that but you quit it a shortet time cold turkey but it is very much more painful. To ween off isnt as painful but the withdrawals willll last longer while shes weening offf but if she quit scold turkey shellll start to feel better after about a week. but with the weening she have withdrawals for awhile but no where near as bad as cold turkey. i have heard alot of good and bad things about both sides of the table

Ray
Helpful - 0
please tell her do not stop all at once its horrible!!!! i am going through this right now, its pure hell ! i wish i was dead sometimes, tell her there is methadone clinics that will help for as low as 10.00 a day but thats another med she will be on for years so tappering down then going through hell for about a week is the best hope all goes well keep me posted i am trying my best to quit now, tonight is the first night without anything and its gonna be rough!
Helpful - 0
Darr, that is HUGE she decided to confide in you. I am going thru day 1 of withdrawal today and too scared to tell anyone in my family.(I live alone but have siblings in town.) I know, from reading here, and other boards that getting off vicodin can be done and is not life threatening to detox from opiates as much as benzos are.
If she cannot afford prof detox or a dr, perhaps you can help her taper. I tapered off of ultram myself a few months ago and it made the withdrawal easier.
Now, I'm just flat out of vicodin and while I know I can probably get more in a few weeks, I don't want them. I'm done. I wish I could have tapered but the call of the opiate is too strong for me and I had no one to ask to help me taper.
I also go to AA and now will try NA.
You must be a wonderful mom for her to feel safe to confide in. Good luck to both of you.
Ms Done
Helpful - 0
yes i agree cold turkey is bad, but i have been weening off with just 4 days and its been pure hell i mean really . so i'm not sure which is best
Helpful - 0
the other thing is. is that you have to understand that she isnt doing anything wrong being addicted is the same as having a desease it is a desease she has to know your not mad at her or disappointed her and help her in anyway. My parents disowned me when i told them and it made it os much harder for me. that was when i needed them the most my dad thought that quitting pills was easy like you could just stop but it really is super diifficult. as long as she doesnt have any previous health problems she hsouldnt have any problems quitting cold turkey and if hse does quit cold turkey by the 4th or 5th she will porb feel alot better then the 3rd. Personally i would stay away from a methadone clinic because meth withdrawals are much worse and last alot longer then vicodin withdrawals ive withdrawed from all sorts of painkillers and methadone is on eof the worst to withdraw from if she is going to ween off of something i would recommend weening off the vicodin and stay away form the meth. but thats just my opion.
Helpful - 0
I am glad you found this site,please tell your daughter so she can read the posts,sometimes the fear of what to expect during withdrawl is one of the hardest parts of deciding to quit.I took lots of vics for ten years and quit cold turkey 84 days ago.It was not a walk in the park but for me was doable.I was so sick and tired of those pills,then I found this site and it gave me the strenghth and courage to do it.It is like a bad flu for the first 7-10 days ,but you can take vitimans and various other things to help the symptoms.It is different for all but it can be done.She is lucky to have your support ,so hand her the computer and let her start reading,I lurked for a week before picked a date.Good Luck and keep posting there is alot of support here
Helpful - 0
i had to write again cause i forgot to tell you to tell her what she will be expecting so she don't freak out, for one it will feel like ice water running through your veins and sweating too, nightmares or dreaming of pills, feeling like you have no energy at all, emotional problems depression, have someone stick by her she will need it. dirreah bad to the point of it being like water, bad stomach pains, hope i got it all oh yeah i sneeze alot too. hope this helps to educate her.
Helpful - 0
Many have quit from that amount of Vicodin and did OK. It is quite rough but it lasts only 4-5 days for the worst part and another week feeling not so good. If she can taper and maybe you dole out her pills. It is a bit easier. The main reason people quit cold turkey is that only taking 1 at a time is way too hard for addicts.
Helpful - 0
yeh you withdrawal wether you ween or quit cold turkey it just with weening there a bt lighter withdrawals but you stretch the withdrawals out for weeks when cold turkey will on ly last about a week and like i said if she has seziours(not sure how to spell that) or a heart condition or naything like thta she can quit cold turkey certain regular physsicains can prescribe your somehting called suboxon which will make all withdrawals not happen and it works really well i have used it my self but its very expensvie specciially without insurance.
Helpful - 0
oh and one more thing people who quit cold turkey uses Thomas'  Recipe or the Amno acids program to help with the withdrawls and the depression after withdrawls they really help. you can search for them on this website. sorry for so many posts

RayRay
Helpful - 0
Thomas recipe is now in the Health Pages as are many other helps. Look near the top right of the forum page.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your quick response to my questions.  I guess the first this I'm wondering is how bad is a seven pill a day addiction?  I know any addiction is bad, i'm just trying to get an idea of what i'm dealing with.
Helpful - 0
when i was taking vicodin i was taking up to 35 a day
Helpful - 0
by the frst time i quit i had graduated to Oxycontin and was taking alot more then the equivalency of 35 vicodins and i went thorugh helll quitting cold turkey but id rather do it an 5 days of hell then 3 weeks of hell or a month of helll 7 a day is bad but its not as bad as most people it willbe more painful then anything shes ever done though but she needs to know it gets better. after a few days . any pilll addiction i sbad honey. just make sure your daugter knows what to expect and that it willl get better alot better on days 4 and 5. WDs were so bad for me i would rathe rbreak my knees again then WD again but since your daughter only was eatng 7 a day it wont be nearly as bad as mine were but they sahlll still be painful and like i said honey please if she has had any previous medical problems check with a doctor to seee if those will cause a fatal risk while quitting cold turkey or even i fyou post it on here someone will know. i mean if she does she could have a seziure a blood clot umm heart failure but if she is healthy she wlll be fine a hundred percent
Helpful - 0
7 is low compared to what I've read on this forum.  I was tapering to 4 a day and 1 oz hydro cough meds-she will feel like she has a super flu.  If she can get some valium or one of it's cousins, she can sleep through it.  Keep her hydrated and read the Thomas recipe.  I'm clean since 3/3/08.  This was the first time I've had an urge, but life seems to suck right now.  I could have gotten them.  I have refills, but I didn't.  5 weeks-it seems alot longer.  Keep us posted and good lucck to you both.  .
Helpful - 0
super mom is right i took alot of xanax while WD cold turley slept through most of it and lots of hot baths imodium and thomas recipe or FLaddicts aminoacid program
dont ever let her htink your dissapointed in her or mad at her or anything always let her her know your on her side adnyoullll do what evre she needs you to do ok Darr
Helpful - 0
TryingHard- As I sit here & type this, I am sneezing nonstop... Im on day 2-- ct from lortab... I was at one point taking 8-12 pills a day (sometimes more) But over the last month, Ive tried stopping a few times, & all my refills ran out & Im ready to end this right now. Im tired of taking the pills, & being scared to think how bad the next withdrawal will be...

This site has been great for me... At least now, I know there are things I can do to get through the withdrawals, get through the really hard times, & others are here doing it too.... This site is giving me strength to give it my all to just deal with the fact that Im addicted &  HAVE to stop!! SO..... Its been almost 2 days since my last pill... I hurt all over, Im sneezing, cold & hot, sweaty, shaky, nervous, & my energy level is about zero. I havent left my bed all weekend, until right now, & Im glad I did. I needed to get on here to remind myself that its gonna get easier with time....
Helpful - 0
the people who can help with a taper plan are not in here right now, but they are Ffladict and avisg.  i tapered off of vicodin myself a few months ago.  i took it down by one pill, every 4 days, evenly spread out over 24 hours.  when i got down to 2 pills a day, i broke them in half and took 1/2 every 6 hours for 2 days then 1/2 every 8 hours, and so on.  by the time i got down to 1/2 pill a day, there were hardly any wd's at all.  you have to be strong to do this, but there will be hardly any wd symptoms at all, just some anxiety and jumpiness.  if she decides to go cold turkey, she can expect to be sick for about a week, with the worst days being days 3-5.  upset stomach, sweating and chilling, bad diarreah, restless legs, unable to sleep, nervousness, and wild dreams are the common symptoms.  you feel like you will die, but you won't.  if you get the Thomas recipe ingredients, they will help.  have some immodium on hand, and gatpraid to keep from dehydrating.  fresh fruit, and fruit juice were all that i could eat at the time.  my prayers are with you both.  if she does the taper, she will need someone to dole the meds out to her, as she will come to the point where she will not be able to control herself.  hopefully she can take time off work, and just rest.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
I have been off vicodin and percs,now fow for a monthwith the help of suboxone no withdraws, I feel normal again, except somtimes not sleeping very well. But I would rather put up with that than the withdraws. If you want to talk to me About suboxone you can e=mail me at ***@****. Susie
Helpful - 0
I forgot to add this the last time I posted on this topic...
During the first few days of w/d's, Ive always had major issues eating & drinking, because the nausea/vomiting & diarrhea were so bad...  It made me get so dehydrated, which just made the w/ds even worse!  This time, Ive been drinking koolaid (I HATE water & Im too miserable to go to the store for gatorade) & eating things that I would eat when I had stomach flus'.... It seems to help.
Sorry I cant give ya better advice! Everyone here has great ideas-just do what ever you can.... I'll be praying for your daughter--shes very lucky to have a parent who cares as much as you do! Thats gonna be one thing that will help pull her out of this deep hole of addiction. Having a good support system is crucial when beginning w/d's... Ive always had to go through it alone, & would give anything to have someone just to be there with me!

Good luck-keep us updated!
Helpful - 0
It is possible that she is doing a little more than 7 pills.  I hope not but usually by 7 it becomes 17 real quick.  This drug is insidious in that you can develope a dependency all the way to a hundred pills a day.  Best to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.  Let her know that deeper on, she will change her brain's physiology and have an extremely difficult time getting away from this drug.  A famous doctor known for specializing in addiction on TV considers these drugs an oral form of heroin.
Best to you
Jim
Helpful - 0
i just recently stopped taking them almost 2 days now and im going craaazzzzy!! u need 2 help her..she give her 1 and when she starts to feel the with draw give her half!!!i havent taken any!!! but vicodin is the worst drug!!! this is my second time getting off of it...ive been on it for 6months
Helpful - 0
I have went thru the same thing but with percocets which is way worse for withdrawls just have her ween off if she can but i repeat do not let her go to the methadone clinic or even suboxone that stuff is waaay worse i did both and i would much rather do the withdrawls from percs any day the vitamins she can take is a multivitamin vitamin b6 lots of potassium and another one which is tryosine which will help with the restless legs and it gives ur body the endorphins back into your brain.also showers and walking helps alot as well best of luck your a fantastic mother for wanting to help instead of being mad at her about it..i hope for the best for her
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community