Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Day 0 - Stopping Hydrocodone

I guess I should start with a little intro...  I'm a 35 year old father of two great kids and have been married for 12 years.  I have been taking prescription opiates for the last 4 years pretty much constantly.  I have chronic pain in my legs that multiple doctors have been unable to figure out what is going on.  The last thing they are testing is for MS, but that is a whole different story...

Anyway... I've been to see many pain management intervention and management specialists.  There was a time that I wasn't on any meds and the pain was manageable.  Once I started going to see the docs again, they just started piling on the opiates.  First it was percocet and oxycontin both of which I couldn't handle the side effects.  Then it seems like they just started piling on hydrocodone.  They first started me on 4 x 5/500 / day.  As I would continue to feel pain, and tell them about it, they would continue to add.  The latest prescription is at 6 x 10/325 / day.  I try to stay on schedule with the pills and some days I do and some days I don't.

I came to realize over the last few weeks that it seems that the meds aren't really helping.  I talked to the pain docs about this and they told me that's not what it is.  I talked to my psychiatrist and he said that was more than possible.  I told him my plan of a very fast taper (I don't want to refill a prescription) and then cold turkey.  He thought I was going to fast, but didn't think I was being irrational.

I have cut from 60mg / day to 15mg / day in the last 2 weeks. Tomorrow morning will be my last dose.  The reason behind that is that I need to functional as a soccer coach.  After that, I'm done with it all.  I'm tired of feeling like one of Pavlov's dogs waiting for the bell to go off so I can take my next dose.

I have told my wife and she is supportive and understands that I'm going to be a real piece of work for a while.  I have told my oldest son that daddy isn't going to be feeling good for a while.  I'll be working from home this week, so that will make things easier but I'll still have to be somewhat productive.  Hopefully this will be easier than when I stopped the oxcy, but who knows.  I did contact a doctor about Suboxone, but they are months out and I just don't want to wait that long.

The main reason that I'm posting is that so many people offer so much support that this felt like a good place to keep myself on track.

Wish me luck...

Matt
Good for you. Sounds like your head is in the right place. 5 to 7 days. Get yourself ready.
You will need some over the counter advil or something for body aches, diarrhea, Lots of hot showers or baths. Have a look at Thomas recipe. It really helps.

You can do this! Post often!!

Terry

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.Take Terry's advice and check out the thomas' recipe and post often.Lots of help and support here.I couldn't have gotten clean and stayed clean for over a year now without these fine people.Sending prayers and strength your way.YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! All the best...Kim
  Have your Dr. ever mentioned neurotin?  I was wondering if perhaps a big dose of that daily might help with the leg pain alot.  It has helped me, as I have Fibro along with SLE and so,  I take 600mg of neurotin 3 times a day.  This sounds like alot but I assure you it's not that bad.  Some take more and some find less works for them.

I wish you could tapper longer but you know what you can handle, so best of luck on your quit and please look into the neurotin.

Ella
We've tried the gambit.  

Lyrica - no effect.  
Neurontin - Turned me into a zombie for some reason.  Like I was paying bills twice and neglecting others.  I shouldn't have been driving and it scares the hell out of me that I was driving my kids to school every day.

The best thing that I've been using is Voltaren Gel.  It has been pretty helpful.

At my last pain doc appointment, they told me that they felt I should get tested for MS because I do have some symptoms that look like it.  What's one more test?  I've been MRI'd, CT'd, checked for rheumatoid arthritis and generally poked and prodded for the last four years.  Whats a more giant needle into the spinal column?

As for a longer taper, I wish I could, too, but I don't want to refill another prescription.  180 more of those tablets scare the heck out of me.

I know this is going to suck, but I gotta get it done.

Matt
I agree with Ella that Neurotin might help with the pain. That's what I got in Detox. Even if you just use it for the first week of withdrawl. It made me really zoned out, but really helped with the pain. Seems like you should already be experiencing some withdrawl having tapered down to 15mg. How are you feeling?
Yes, I have been experiencing withdrawal during the taper.  The last 3 days, I have only taken the 15mg in the morning and have held off until the next morning.  The pain has been there and the loss of appetite.  I've lost 15lbs in the last week or so.  Had a round of diarrhea when I went from 30mg to 15mg that I used Imodium for.

I've been alternating ibuprofen and naproxin for pain.  I'm not sure which one really works yet.  I just got out of a nice hot bath and feel pretty good.

I have a refill of Neurotin that I could get as well as a refill on Valium.  After reading the Thomas recipe, perhaps the Valium may be a good thing.  I don't think I could do the Neurotin again and I don't think my wife would let me.  It freaked her out to be living with a zombie.

Now the big question is what to do tomorrow.  Do I take that last dose tomorrow or do I just let it keep rolling?  Its been 14 hours since my last dose.  Like I said, I have to coach the last soccer game of the season tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Matt