Aa
A
A
A
Close
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Do you lose the weight that methadone puts on you?

I have been on methadone for 2 years. I am 5'5 and before methadone 125. In the last 2 years i gained 90lbs!! Yes 90.
My doctor said that is was the mehtadone. I have detoxed off methadone, while the weight go away.
I go the gym 3-4 days a week. and while on it ,could NEVER lose weight.  
PLEASE HELP THIS IS ALL NEW TOO ME.
62 Responses
228936 tn?1249097848
This is a tough one. I'd guess you are a woman and it is harder for women to loose gained weight. I spent years on methadone and know people who had these excessive gains on done but I never gained. I don't know any long term overweight methadonians who ever got off the done so you are to be commended for this. I think you can loose it but it has to be a combination of diet and exersize. All the best and congrts for getting off the done
Are you still on methadone? and yes..you will lose the weight. i gained @ 20 lbs while i was on that ****..Almost everyone does that I have heard.
I lost 20 pounds real fast after I got off methadone, which ten would have been ok, but 20 was a bit much. But Im healthy & happy, so I guess I shouldnt complain. Are you currently still on methadone? Take Care Penelope
The reason that you couldn't lose the weight while using is that pain meds slow down your metabolism.  It is a side effect that few talk about.  It is very difficult to lose while taking throughout the day.  One has some chance if only taken at night but other than that it is hard.  Now that you are quit, keep hitting the gym and you will start to see a difference in no time.
569676 tn?1315644758
I assure you wil lose the weight.  I was on methadone for 5 years and went from 145lbs to 225lbs in that time, granted for my height 145# was too thin, but 225 is insane!  I dropped my dose from 460mgs to 30mgs and started Suboxone.  Started sub on march 25th and I have gone from 225lbs to 160lbs!  One that Sh** is out of your system you will feel and look amazing!

Best regards-
hs
228936 tn?1249097848
I;m glad you lost your done weight. How long do they want to keep you on sub?
Have an Answer?
Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333897642
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.