Aa
A
A
A
Close
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Effexor XR Addiction

I have been on 150mg Effexor XR for about 5 years.  I have been trying to wean off of it for over a year.  Ia m taking 1/5 of a 75mg capsule every other day.  I still have headaches, nausea and a feeling that my head is swimming.  I went completely of of it for 5 days and felt so bad both physically and mentally that I had to start taking it again.  My doctor doesn't understand why I want to go off of the Effexor.  He has prescribed promethazine to help with the nausea, but that is all the support I get from him. What can I do?
5 Responses
271792 tn?1334983257
Why are you stopping the Effexor?
402205 tn?1230484605
Hi,

Some people have difficulty coming off antidepressants. And the head swimming thing is very common. If you search the internet, you'll see a bunch of symptoms and a lot of people who experience this. I would definitely go get a second opinion.

Melissa
372416 tn?1242669352
I weaned myself from the Effexor.  I tried to just stop it and nearly lost my mind.  I cut the dose in half for a while.  Then I started opening the capsule and pouring 1/2 on my tongue.  Then less and less, till every other day till none.

I hate the docs for not telling you how dangerous it is to stop taking.  
I too, have been trying to get off of it.  I'm down to 37.5 mg/day.. I tried to go every other day, but felt too bad (head swimming, feeling blue, etc).  I decided to stay on it.  My doc says there is no need to get off of it.  I'm just sick of taking meds.  
228936 tn?1249097848
It's not an adiction but a dependence. I never compulsivly took Effexor but I did have a tough time with the "abstinance symdrom" after. I took it for 5 years and quit last summer and am glad I did. It made me emotionally constipated.
Have an Answer?
Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333897642
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.