Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

How do I deal with the anxiety?

Although it has been a month without opiates, I am still extremely anxious. Could someone give some advice on how to cope with this? It was so bad yesterday I was breathing in a paper bag just to feel normal and help the tingling in my fingers. Also I am having bad headaches and am not supposed to take aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofin, what can I take that will help besides narcotics?
I am glad you posted this question.  I came on to say basically the same thing.  I am so scared.  I have been here off and on for over a year.  I am about 21 days off the opiates, but, the anxiety is so bad that I drank alcohol all weekend and now the anxiety is even worse.  Of course!  I don't want to go back on the opiates, but, I am so scared I can't function.  My job is so important to me and it is all about helping people, so I can't tell anyone what I am doing.  I realize now that I have had an severe anxiety disorder since I was a small child.  Withdrawn, social phobia.  The opiates I started taking 8 years ago when I was 40 for back pain.  Oh my God, I was a new and different person.  But, now I want to be me, but, not with the anxiety.  My family doc gave me ativan, but, I took more than I was supposed too, so now I can't refill it until next month.  It helped so much, but, he only perscribed 2 a day and I need at least 4 for right now.  I know I need something for this anxiety, but, don't want to be addicted anymore.  I hope some of you will respond to our anxiety and just give us some feedback and support.  I know I have to do this.  I have heart palpitations right now, slept none last night, and severe snxiety. It is so scary. Help!    Love to all who share and help on this forum.  Please doc, respond to our question and is there anything we can do besides ride it out!
Sugarbeens
I know exactly what you both are referring to.  Whenever I have gone into withdrawal from pills.  (My drug of choice is "fioricet" a pain med for migraines which contains a barbituate). Very dangerous stuff.

I have had such severe anxiety that I couldn't eat or sleep for days. I have found trazadone helpful for the insominia. I was given that a few years ago when I experienced extreme anxiety and it helped with the sleep and gradually the daytime anxiety went away.

This time around (I have been off the pills since just before Thanksgiving) the doc put me on neurontin, it is non-addicting and helps with the anxiety, insomnia and even helps somewhat with the cravings.

I take it 3 times a day and I have found it to be helpful.  The worst time for me is the morning I wake up terrified and then once I get up and get moving I start to feel better. I do still have cravings not as bad as they used to be and they are mainly in the morning when I first get up.

You may want to ask your doc about these medications. Sugarbeens - I would be careful with the ativan because it can be very addicting.

There are other options out there.
Hi there,
I have been looking into anxiety for a friend of mine.  We just discovered that she suffers from Social Anxiety.  Anyways, the medication Paxil..is supposed to help with this problem.  Go to www.paxil.com for more info.  My other friend went on this for 6 months and she came out a brand new confident self.  Anyways, it is worth looking into.  Keep smiling
CAtherine
Lady,

1) When you are closer to 60 days (I am at 63) the anxiety will be less and less frequent

2) You may want to tell you doc that the Ativan is not lasting long enough. Ask to be switched to Klonopin, its longer lasting.

3) Think positive - force yourself to list the positive things in you life.

4) Excercise - this will help you sleep more than anything else!

Good luck..

Rex
How was San Diego - how do you ankle hold up with all that driving?

Rex
Thanks everyone for your responses.  I have been on Paxil and it just made me tired and feel depressed.  I think I just need something for anxiety, and may have to take something the rest of my life.  I used to exercise all the time Rex, but, when I started working on my Masters Degree a few years ago, I stopped because didn't have time, since I also work full time.  I do stretches everyday and as soon as the anxiety gets better I will start back exercising as it did help me before I started taking opiates.  I took off today because of the anxiety, and I feel so guilty.  The anxiety feels a little better now.  I go back to my pain doc on Wed. and I want to tell him I do not want the opiates.  I am clean of them again, and I do not want them. I don't want to drink either, but, I have to have something for anxiety.  You are all wonderful and thanks so much. Love to all.
Sugarbeens
Diego was CROWDED!! Ankle was O.K. during the drive but the end of the first day was pretty bad. Woke up hurtin' REAL BAD. All in all is was a GREAT trip though. Needed that.

How goes your battle?

FINISHED!!
How long did you take the opiates.  I feel like I have taken them so long that I probably have a lot of anxiety that may never go away.  I didn't abuse them at first, but after about 3 years I did so I would run out every time before I was to go back to the doc for refill.  I talk to a lot of people and hear that a lot of people are on narcotics for pain.  It seems like doctors give them so freely and then we have a bunch of people abusing them.  I don't know , it just seems like everywhere I go someone is taking them.  It is so hard to get off for good.  I hope I can do it this time.
Just read your post to me regarding my remarks about Michael & Achy...Now you KNOW that those percs had me a little looped. Good reply though. I don't often laugh out loud while on this forum but I did on that one.

"I bought some batteries & they weren't included...HA...ya slay me.

FINISHED!!
Good Morning!  I wish I could just take the two of you and protect you from that darned anxiety demon.  Just remember in the throes of the attack that you always, always make it through to the other side.  It doesn't seem like it while you are in it, but it's true.  Just ride the wave and know you will be afloat once it crests.

Don't forget to take time to take care of yourselves.  Eat good, nutritious food, no junk.  Take your vitamins.  Drink lots of water and juice.  Take long hot bubble baths if you can.  Take time to celebrate YOU!!  Be extra nice and gentle with yourselves.  How would you treat a friend going through the anxiety?  Take time to love yourselves like you would a friend.

Write me at ***@**** if you need to.  Distraction helps too.  Focus on the board here or we can email together, andything that will get you focused on something else but not being able to breathe.

Sugar-are you a compulsive, too?  Just this latest round of sharing I have noticed that there are more of us than I would have thought, but compulsive behavior and addiction go hand in hand.  I am taking Celexa and it really, really has helped me.  I've done others, prozac, etc.  Celexa really helps.  Selective Seritonin Reuptake Inhibitors.  I think as they progress they are better able to pinpoint the drugs that help.

Don't you ever be ashamed of being and addict/OCD person!  You don't think any less of me, do you?  So why be so harsh on yourself.  There is a reason for everything, maybe you have had to travel down this horrible road so you can learn to love yourself.  We will all do it for you until you can, ok?  I promise.

I wish I could be there to talk you through this.  Lady, your sister has been so supportive.  Can you teach her how to talk you through?  To just rub your brow, back, soft gentle talking, whatever gets you to be calmer?  Sugar, do you have anyone else in the house with you that can do the same for you?  Hang in there!  Let me know how I can help!

Connie
GREAT POST Harley!!! You have shown a great deal of understanding & compassion & your experiences are welcomed here with wide open arms. I was just reading about the anxiety & really wishing I knew something comforting to say. I myself have never had this demon except for 1 day on the fourth of detox. The reason I feel that I needed to say that was because it may give a little hope to those ready to detox. Not ALL people suffer from the depression & anxiety that sometimes follows detox. Every person is different...but be ready because it MAY happen. My only advice for anxiety would be the same I have for depression...exercise. A close friend of mine suffers from random anxiety attacks & instead of taking a pill, he starts doing push-ups. We've actually been walking down a busy street & he'll drop out of nowhere & start doing push-ups until the attack subsides. You wanna get some funny looks & stares...do this on a busy avenue in downtown Long Beach. He DOES occasionally take a pill from time to time for the really bad attacks (zanyx I think) but they knock him out. I don't have much more than that. I hope it helps but I'm sure everyone has to deal with these demons differently.

FINISHED!!
Hi there,
I just wanted to tell you that i too am on Celexa.  I have been on it for depression.  It has been 3 1/2 weeks so far, and i have seen differences in the way i handle life situations.  It is amazing...how clear my head is...and how much better i feel about life in general.  I am not saying this is all i need to do to better myself..but it is certainly giving me the energy and willpower and assurance etc. to figure out my life with a clear head.  It is nice to know that you are on it too..because so far i have not heard or met of anyone on it.  How long have you been on it?  And what dose are you on?  Did you go on it for depression?  Thanks
You celexa sister (hahaha)
Catherine
Oh and i wanted to say to Lady and Sugar...if the anxiety is because of withdrawals...i would think that Finished is correct.  If it will pass eventually why not just try and naturally go through it (torture as it may be).  Try not to put more **** in your system.  If it is long lasting, then yes i would say to try and find a med that is non-addictive.  These days more and more people are suffering from anxiety...says something about the society we live in don't ya think?  Anyways, hang in there...we are all thinking about you.  
HI!
How are you doing?  Just thought about you and didn't see a recent post....so i thought i would post and ask.
Hope you are doing well.
Catherine
i just got an email from life is better aaaa( greg)
he seem's fine .

hippy-------- peace!!!!!!!!!!
WEll my head is killing me again.  this relentless pain reminds me of why i took the stadol.  I am in the dark room with ice on my head.   I used to sleep every night wiht ice on my head for years.  WEll just bitching and moaning.  ty for listening!
No.. bungee u have missed my depresing posts evidentally.   ther are many.  But ty for the compliment.  I ebb and floww and wax and wane in my abilities to cope with the pain and depression.  
Peace!
Suzie
Is anyone worried that they may have liver disease.  I am.  I noticed when I pulled my bottom lids down that it looks yellow in there.  Is that normal or do I have something to fear?  I can't tell if my skin is yellow or not.  It looks the same to me.  What are some other symtoms of liver disease, jaudice?  Will it go away if I have it if I don't use the narcotics anymore?  Please if anyone knows, answer. Thanks.
Sugarbeens
Feel better sunshine...We all NEED you here. But you take care of YOU first!!! We can be patient...for a while...

FINISHED!!
Hey Tara...Ya lurking out there somewhere? Just checking in on you. I hope & pray that all is well.

FINISHED!!
every momant and every event
of everyones life on earth plants something in our soul.
For just as the wind carries thousands of invisible
and visible wingedseeds, so the stream of time brings with it germs of spiritual vitality that come to rest imperceptibly in
the minds and wills of us all. Most of these
unnumbered seeds perish and are lost, because we are not prepaired to receive them: for such seeds as these can not spring up anywhere except in the good soil of liberty and desire.
The mind that is the prisoner of its own pleasure and the will
that is the captive of its own desire cannot accept the seeds of a higher pleasure and a supernatural desire.
FOR HOW CAN WE RECEIVE THE SEEDS OF FREEDOM IF WE ARE IN LOVE WITH SLAVERY AND HOW CAN WE CHERISH THE DESIRE OF GOODNESS IF WE ARE FILLED WITH ANOTHER AND AN OPPOSITE DESIRE?
GOD CANNOT PLANT HIS LIBERTY IN ME BECAUSE I AM A PRISONER AND I DO NOT EVEN DESIRE TO BE FREE. I LOVE MY CAPTIVITY AND I AM IN LOVE WITH MY CHAINS. I LOCK MYSELF IN THE DESIRE OF THINGS THAT I HATE ,AND I HAVE HARDENED MY HEART AGINST TRUE LOVE.
BY ADDICT WHO WAS USEING.
Thanks for that last post.  It really helped me today as I have been having some intense cravings.

It helped me to see how quickly I could again become imprisoned.

Golden Slipper
Well said Mr. Hippy. I was a slave in a $200,000 plus home searching for my next little demon. If you wrote that ,great, if not ,great anyway. Free 6 days and counting.
    B'Belt
6 days your out of the hard part week 1.
after that it is the lack of energy.
keep up the good work, because that is what it is work.
it's not easy , but it is worth it.
freedom from addiction is like an elixer from the gods.
sweet freedom.
peace to you !!!!!!!! hippy.
Hey Sista!!  I have rad your posts, and you too are a very compassionate, sweet person.  Thank you for the compliment.  (I am learning to just say thank you and tell you 15 reasons why I don't deserve praise.)

I am on 40 mgs (1 tablet) and day.  I was on just half, but I couldn't tell any difference, I was still very compulsive.  I had a major nerve surgery done in Nov and I was doing too much around the house, sobbing uncontrolably, or extremely giddy.  The mood swings may have been from the Neurontin, so they lower that from 2 400 mgs to 2 300 mgs.

I have panic attacks, too, which the Celexa has helped.  I've only had one since taking it.  And it was pretty mild, just waited it out.  Anxiety is so hard to deal with, because you know you are crazy, and you are afraid that other people are going to find out, and that ups the anxiety level even more...vicious cycle.

You hang in there, Catherine!

Connie
Its time to post again.... Some may remember me like Rex and Methman who helped me in the past, by the way, thank you.  But I tried the totally off narcs method by using over the counter drugs, therapy, tried accupuncture but nothing worked, the pain is way too great. By the way the pain is from 2 flopped surguries to put my right hand back together which 4 seperate hand surgeons concluded is no more repairable.  Now what do I do?  I am about 32 days off narcs but my work and family is suffering immensly over my pain.  I sleep little to none. I guess its its back to the pain clinic, any other suggestions before I throw in the towel????????

Brian