How do you get off of Xanax?

In an effort to help me stop drinking, my doctor prescribed 1 mg of Xanax which I take nightly to help me sleep.  This has proved effective and has helped me stop using alcohol to help me sleep.  I have been taking the 1 mg dose of Xanax for about 7 months now and I would like to get off this medication.  I have heard horror stories of people trying to do this.  How do you recommend I wean myself from this medication?  The 1 mg tablets can be cut in half but would dropping to .5 mg/day be too sudden a jump?  Thank you.
Blah Blah Blah you don't need to hear my whole story but that said nobody on this post has anything on me with respect to zanax addiction. I have not used or needed the medication for two years at this point. I slowly reduced my dosage, (10% reduction with no modification until I was comfortable with that amount for a full two weeks). When I finally got down to 4- .25mg doses a day I found it difficult to either break down my tablets further or reduce the frequency of dosing. Without the help of a willing supervising physician I felt sort of stuck. My answer was to use 4 tiny bottles and combine 30ml of water with 1/2 tab of zanax, .25mg in my case, in each bottle. From here I reduced the volume of the 30ml solution in each bottle by a measurable amount every two weeks or until I was comfortable. Eventually I used fewer bottles per day and finally just carried one around as a security blanket, just in case. At that point an aspirin could be used to take the edge off just as effectively. The whole process took about 2 months from the time I started using the 30ml solution in lieu of the tablets. I must mention too that the insanity that was in my life prior to my use of this medicine was gone and the only thing causing a panic attack was withdraw from zanax. I was a horrible twit to be in and I hope you too can safely get off this medicine!
I have been on 0.5 mg (1/2 twice a day - total 1 pill only) for 15 years and am in the process of weaning myself off very, very, very slowly.  Cutting back to two small halves every other day and two regular halves the alternate days for two weeks.  Then two smaller halves daily for two weeks, then 1/2 only once per day for two weeks, then 1/4 daily for two week, then out of there.
Hello im new here!! and ive been on xanax for two years , i was perscriped too 60 .5 mg xanax every ten days and taking way more then i should about two and a half to four bars. now my doctor cut me off cold turkey and to make madders worse im also an epileptic who has grand mall siezures what should i do i dont know if my doctor knows?
Go to the top of this page and hit the green Post a question button.  Copy and paste your post above.  That way you will have your own thread as this one is an older one.  We are here to help you........sara
i am trying to taper myself off of xanax i take 2mg 4 times a day and tonight im starting to take 2mg 3 times a day how long do i do that untill i drop off another 2mg??
Hello:

I have been on xanax for almost a year now. I started taking 3mg a day.  Now i am down to 2.5 mg.  I am also an epileptic for more than 25 years in which i take medicine for it.  I would love to get off the xanax, but i know it is not easy, i heard about the withdrawls for this medicine.  I agree that doctors give people this medicine for anxiety/panic attacks, but they don't seem to understand what  a person goes through in their body.  I would like to take natural products instead of medicine for anxiety.  Has anyone tried any natural products that has worked for them.
you are posting on an old thread, go to top of the page and click on ask a question, you will get some help and replies that way,  
l tried not having any for 3 days , l am on 2mg a day ..l was climbing the walls it was one of the worsted feeling l had ever came across,Iv been on them for the past 6yrs now after my brothers death that happen sudden.l wish l can get of the ******* of a thing ..these drug company certainly know how to get you hook on their **** they sell,cant see the difference between a street dealer and a drug company..I'm going to try and weed myself off ,
l will drop to 1 mg a day first week then .5 the next week ..God Help me
I've been taking 1 mg Xanax every night for about 5 years.  I have bad insmonia and was taking a variety of sleep aids (Ambien, Lorazepam, etc.).  I found that Xanax really worked in getting me to sleep and helping me to stay asleep.  Now, I am sick of it and my current doc said that Xanax is the worst thing for sleeping.  He has suggested Lunesta.  I've been taking it and tapering off Xanax.  When I don't have to work the next day (very stressful job) I take just the Lunesta.  Does anyone have an opinion about transitioning xanax to Lunesta.  I wasn't taking xanax for anxiety, although that is what is keeping me from sleeping.
So I don't have a script for xzanax but for the last 4 months I've started taking .50 or 1mg a day and after the 1st month ice been taking 3mg a day I am weaning myself off and for the last 4 days have only taken 2.25 to 2.50 mg a day but I only have 12 more mg to ween myself off is this way 2 fast/? How bad can I expect my withdrawls 2 b/ is there possibility of seriouse side affects? Like ceazures exct even though I've only been on them for 4 months? I am currently seeing a doctor and being treated for back. Pain, I have 4 hurniated disks n my back and. Am on norcos and Soma as well, the soma wasn't working for me as far as helping me sleep mostly what I use it 4, so I asked the doc if we could try something els and nothing else he gave me worked better, so 1 day a friend offered me a xzanax and they worked well, I told my doctor what I tried and how it worked but he would not wright me a prescription, so I took it appon myself and started getting it elsewhere anyways and after recently finding out how dangerous the medication is, want nothing to do with it, any suggestions , only taking it for 3 to 4 months and currently taking 2.25mg a day and only 12mg left to ween off do u think I will b ok as far as seriouse side affects like ceazures?
HI......your best bet is to go tell your doctor what you havev done benzos are nothing to mess with at worst you may have a seizure at best the anxiety of the withdrawals will have you crawling out of your skin and not sleeping for quit some time....let the doctor taper you off properly this is byound the scope of a home detox.........Gnarly
My husband abuses xanax and his preferred method is to snort them. He has been in treatment and goes to groups and counseling for the abuse of benzo's and opiates. Been to detox as well. Have successfully got clean using the taper method. Did I mention he already has a seizure disorder that he is treated for. I am going out of my mind with worry as well as fed up. He still seems to think he can take benzo's a couple times a month using the same method, because of stress, aniexty and panic attacks and claims nothing else works. Any suggestions even though I already know the answer...... almost forgot he uses bars and can do up to three every 3 to 4 hours if given the opportunity or gets enraged if (not violent) people who need them won't give them up.
I tapered from 3 x 0.5 xanax for a year ( panic attacks ) to 0.25 every 2-3 days! what helped me was an SSRI Lexapro 7.5mg, and that I had extensive health checks all exemplary so I figured that there is no real reason to panic!!! Tapered down very slow and I tell ya that even though I do get a bit anxious but so does everyone else and it passes!! Eat well, go for long walks and don't dwell on your own problems 24/7 like I did! I reckon I know as much as a third year med student researching why and what. Xanax can help for sure but in most cases as you get better mentally xanax will keep you in the mud. Recognising when you get better and synchronizing it with the tapering is crucial. I asked my doctor why benzo? Simple answer was there is nothing else that does a job like xanax when panic attack visits!
Zanax is tough to get off of Dr.'s write this script which for some people turns out to be a long term remedy that sometimes is impossible to get off of. DO NOT COLD TURKEY ZANAX taper down, talk to a dr. about the schedule and follow it precisly. Do not use caffeine of nicotine while removing yourself from benzodiazapine it may trigger unwanted effects. The best and healthiest as with all substance removal is to eat a healthy diet with pletny of fruits and veggies, stay hydrated, avoid caffeine, physical excersie primarily cardio nothing crazy just get the blood flowing, i have herd adding yoga really helps as well. The main thing you want to do is keep busy Benzo'S have a way of making feel like the world is gonna end when you dont have it and you must stay strong it is not easy but it is worth having your mind back. Good luck and be healthy and make sure you consult a Dr. before doing anything on your own!!
Hi!

I am trying to get off xanax too and I think I am close. I only take 0,125 mg every 2 days at night for about 3 weeks now, after constantly reducing the dosage since about 4 months. I am taking it for a year now and my maximum dosage was never more than 0,5 mg 3 times daily. Xanax was prescribed to me after I began to have tough panic attacks because I have suddenly stopped drinking and smoking(was heavy drinker and smoker but clean for a year now) I feel good now but I do not know if the 0,125 mg is low enough to stop taking it completely or I should downdosage it even more before stopping completely? I would appreciate  if someone who has been through this could give me a hint as I do not trust my doc on this because if it was up to him I would probably still take 1 mg a day.
Thanks for the help and I wish everybody the best of health,

Rudy
And this is why Doctors are ignorant. Xanax to get off alcohol?  Thats replacing one thing for basically the same thing. They both work off the GABA receptors causing the same adverse withdraw effects. Why don't you smoke marijuana to get off alcohol. Its alot safer than alcohol and xanax combined. You cant black out and kill people tryin to drive on it , doesnt kill your liver. Helps with anxiety , pain , depression ,  everything. It even cures cancer.
I have been taking 2mg of xanax once a day for over a year now and want to wean myself off on my own. However, I was told that since I take it only once a day I am already going through withdrawels everyday because xanax does not stay in the body long, that  probably explains why I feel like xxxx for the most part of the day until I take my daily 1 dose of 2mg. I was thinking should I start taking 1mg twice a day for a week and then cut down by .25mg a week thereafter by taking a lesser dose twice a day? This seems to me a better way. Does anyone have any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. I take 12 mgs a day. It's sad and it's ruining my marriage.
I am a 68 year old woman and twenty years ago, my doctor prescribed xanax, 3-times a day, for panic and anxiety. He never lowered the dose, nor did he tell me how addictive this drug actually is. I can't say what prompted me to stop taking xanax (lack of energy, decreased enjoyment of life, no desire to leave my home) but, 3-months ago, I began the process of weening myself off of xanax. I honestly don't know how I survived the syptoms by myself. These included severe depression, feelings of hopelessness, severe shaking, hot sweats, trouble swollowing, loss of appetite, feelings of isolation, headaches, chest pain, nausea, paranoia, sensitivity to light and sound, hallucinations,and ry mouth. Since coming through the worst of these sypmtoms, I still have severe ringing in the ears (I have been told that this could last a very long time or even be permanent) and dry eyes (feeling of sand in the eyes). I have discovered that withdrawl from this drug can cause seizures and even heart attack. I can't stress enough that no one should ever take agree to take this drug, it IS NOT intended for long term use and I am still fighting the feelings of anger toward my doctor for allowing me to stay on this for so long. If you find yourself in a similar situation, please seek professional help coming off of this drug, I have heard that there are programs to assist seniors and others in discontinuing this drug use. Only prayer, belief, faith, and the grace of God brought me through this without medical help.
I imagine this blog is for people having issues with Xanax, as those who are not having problems would probably not come across it accidentally.
I am a 70 year male with bipolar disorder. I have been on meds for bipolar for 7 years and depression meds for 15 years previous.
Two months ago I was going in for an eval on my bipolar meds and my internist MD suggested Xanax as a stop-gap to relieve anxiety until I got to the Psych. I take 1/2 mg per day around 10am and have never felt more in control of my anger in the past 50 years.
If .5 mg is an overdose, then I will go to my grave with it. I feel better; my wife (third) is still with me and loving "my old self." and so am I.
Meds always affect you in one way or another or they would not be prescribed. Perfection is not a human attribute. Take what you need to be civil to yourself and other people and get on with life.
If Xanax is a problem for you, your MD can wean you off..
first of all sir, .5mg isn't even a large dose of alprazolam at all, your saying once a day right?  It's very common for people to be prescribed that 3x/day or much more.  those of us with anxiety problems, and i don't just mean the nervous wrecks who can hardly function, ya know, simply need real help, but also ought to careful because our treatments are a pain in the *** but it can be done.  I'm all for benzo's because the WORK.  "Just breathe?"  melatonin, valerian root, exercise...i do intense 3-4 mile cardio runs I'd say ~27 days a month so I'm trying to put in my part but I need med help too so don't worry, I'm a young man, and in reality I know I must somewhat soon learn a way to at least deal with life on much smaller doses as I'm on some pretty legit doses man, lets say you can x that .5 several times to get to my current per diem (but thats only been for a week or so and will only be another few then back to .5 3x.day), but hell your 70, enjoy your life man, it won't kill you unless u fly into outta control addiction and quit cold turkey in which case u could have a seizure....meds that work always have a downside, the trick is in managing the downside and making it as alright at possible.  Love, peace and my chi to yours
Thank u 4 giving me gr8 hope with the knowledge of ur info, best of luck with the rest of ur battle< CHEERS!
I have been on xanax for 10 years. Stasted off light and now up to 11 mg epr day that is 4 2mg tablets per day and 2 of the 1mg xr so I just found out that I am an addict I have cut my dose to 2 mg I am feeling out side of my body and am scared as I also have seizures. My Dr, wants me to keep taking the high amounts because when I get stressed out I get blisters. Do yoiu guys think that I am doing the right thing? How long will ths feeling last?
hon, this thread is old enough you might not get the help and support.  Go up to the top and click on the orange ask a question icon.  Repost (cut and paste) your post and it will start a new thread that will be seen!  This is a very active group and you will get help!  Glad you are here.
BP - you have posted on an old thread the member "lostmarbles" posted that response several years ago.  Please let me encourage you to redo your post as a "Post Question".

You say you are suicidal - why can't you go to hospital?  I want to encourage you to reach out to someone asap.  I want you to know there is help out there and to please not hurt yourself.

Xanax must be tapered very slowly to be safe.  are you getting from a doctor?  There are many many members here with much more experience than I but I saw your message and was really concerned.

Give us a little info and please repost to a new thread so the members with heavy benzo experience can give you some support.

Above all, NOTHING is worth hurting yourself over.  You are feeling bad right now and can't see a way through it but I promise there is a way.
Hey bp - go to the top of the page and hit the 'post a question" button
and that will start a new thread. Sorry you're struggling so much. Get your own thread going and people will help you.
hey man,start you a thread,theres lots people here to help...good luck.
I am in the same boat you are.  I have been taking the drug for more than 3 years now, taking a dose of 0.5 daily.  I now want to quit it all together, and found it very dificult.  Not taking has made me very "stupid" in everyday normal activies, such as talking!!! Let me know if you have found anything thst has helped you get through it. I was thinking about taking st. john's wart or 5-htp, to help get back to "normal".  Thanks for any suggestions
I sometimes go on these xanax binges usually during the transformation from spring to summer it's something seasonal or whatever . So me I slf medicate and I don't have a doctor monitor me iv been up to 8 bars which is 2 mlgs which makes 16 mlgs a day. Talk about not remembering but I believe I will cut my days down by two bars a day so one day is 8 bars next is 6 bars next 4 and so forth. I need to know is this safe? I have had seizures before but my anxiety and panic is absolutely crazy and my mother doesn't allow my doctor to put me on any benzoids so I cannot have a doctor monitor . Is this a safe way to do this? Or is it too quickly should I cut it by 1 mlg a day ? Any insight would
Be appreciated thanks
Kim, I am in chicago suburbs, my dr had me on 10 mg a day and it's been upping for four years now...now he has stopped and I have no insurance and can't afford dr. no clinics treat benzo's...believe me and I'm in the medical field..Please help, I have no choice and I have just a cpl left.

Thanks!
The only problem is finding a heartless non money hungry Doc in the box who will do it.
Do not ever take more than your average daily dose in a day.  That is the first step.  Afer that, progess is progress, no matter how small the incriment.  Go slow so you don't seize.  No more than 0.5mg every 3 days even if you are comfy with that pace, is what I read.  Start now and you are already on your way.  =)   I take 0.75mg/day for over two weeks and I'm already ready to talk to my doc about stopping Xanax.  This forum has some horror stories.  Good luck people. God bless.
i been taking alprazolam for 9months since starting ive always taken 1/2 a pill of .50mg ive always wondered is the name brand xanax stronger or weaker than the generic alprazolam ? Before starting alprazolam i drank alcohol often 2-3 times a week since early 2008, i been sober since starting alprazolam , its depressing to me being sober that long i felt like i was "in paradise" when i was drinking my budweiser and listening to my fave music :( i miss those days!. my doctor always gives me 3 refills i sell my leftovers before getting refills. I experimented with melatonin taking 1/2 of a 1/2 a 3mg melatonin so .75mg worked well for me so does drinking chamomille tea , Im going to ask my doctor next visit i want to get off it! i miss my lifestyle im just going to change by drinking only a 6pack of pint cans  of beer once a week.  I have fibromyalgia symptoms after starting xanx , im not working anymore i feel very fatigued , senstive to light & sound, also my legs /feet have felt numb tingly since nov 2010, i have trouble staying asleep longer than 4hrs at night,  can anyone posts what medicine is given as a substitute for xanax ?? Im seizure prone theres some medications that have seizure warnings i took dilantin for 11 months nov 2004-oct 2005, thanks for any replys!
That can possibly kill an individual because xanax withdrawl is the most dangerous in the world besides hardcore alcoholics. Poeple should check with their Dr. and coordinate a safe way to detox.
I was on 2.5 a day mainly to help me sleep and help with bp going up due to my pain medications. some people get sleepy on pain meds others get energy! well thats me! when I take my pain meds I can clean my whole house! so my doc gave me xanex to help control my bp and it worked but now I want to stop the xanex because I tapered down from my pain meds to a point that is manageable.. but sometimes not always I get a spike in my BP so not sure what to do? i've got myself down to 1.25ml of xanex from 2.5
but I'm at a stand still at this level for weeks due to my spikes in BP! I'm so confused  because I need my pain meds to manage my pain and now my bp spikes are more frequent due to my decrease in xanex use..  can anybody find me somebody to help!!!!!!!! me
I was on Xanax for 12 years. I did not take more than 1mg at any time.  My doctor prescribed it to help calm my anxiety and sleep problem.  I finally realized I needed to get off of it when it was creating problems for me; I would frequently urinate - every 10 minutes all day long even at night before bed.  I became withdrawn from people - felt nervous in social situations and would sweat and turn red.  I would lash out at people for minor things.  All these things were also affecting my productivity at work.  I didn't think I could go without it.

I saw a new doctor and he gave me the BEST advice to get off the Xanax.  While you withdraw, slowly taper off of it, by about .5 mg every other day.  Only drink WATER and LEMON.  NO CAFFEINE period (includes coffee, tea, mountain dew soda).  This is extremely important.  NO Coffee (including Decaf); NO Alcohol; NO sugar; NO Chocololate.  NO Soda (esp Mountain Dew as it is high in caffeine); NO herbal teas.  I stayed away from caffeine for 6 months.  If I would have caffeine, alcohol, or anything high in sugar, I would get an urge for the Xanax.  Believe me - this works.  I've been off of it for 7 months and recently started incorporating tea and decaf coffee.  I feel 100% better..I can't believe I thought I needed it. I sleep better, no more frequent urges for the bathroom; I'm sociable again.
I have been taken xanex regularly for about 2 yearsfyearsfrom doses ranging from doses ranging from 4mg to upwards of 10mg I dont take it more then three days in a row because as much as it helps my anxiety it has started to help. I tryed to get xanex prescribed to me but because of me being a 20 year old male I guess I fit the profile of someone that would abuse. So unfortunatly for me it is easyer to find xanex bars then it is to buy a beer so I began self medicating. Before my uses of xanex I had anxiety and anger issues if I taper off how should I? and if I do will I be full of anxiety and and anger for ever? Any answers would be fully appreciated sencierly Ben C
I have been self useing for 2years about 1to 2 bars a day. Went one day with out last may an has a seisure. I want off I dont kno how an I am scared I dont want my kids to see me have another seizure again can anyone help
You should start your own thread under "post a question". You should get lots of answers.
I was on 1 mg four times a day and got pregnant and had been taken the xanax for years as soon as i found out i was pregnant i went off it cold turkey, i was sick at least eight months of my preganancy, it was like having morning sickness, i got thru it and my daughter is a healthy 18 year old. i stayed off it because i was nursing, then went back on it and now he just up my does to 2mgs four times a day for severe aniexty. good luck
PLEASE HELP.  My son is addicted to xanax.  He is spiraling and I am going to lose him.  I do not know what to do to help him.  He wants help.  We have no money.  He tried cold turkey and ended up in the emergency room with seizures.  He got a concussion from falling and broken teeth.  PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.  I'M BEGGING.
     I have been on 2 1mg's tablets a day for well over 10 years,  what is the best way of weaning myself off of this? I really want to get out of this addiction really bad.  I'm afraid of getting seizures can anyone here give me some advice on what would be the best way of going about doing this in the safest way? Thanks to all.
I've been taking 2mg of Xanax, it's a long story but basically I was supposed to get the XR kind,but instead got the regular "bars" of 2 mg. I noticed this a few days ago and got the Xanax XR they don't feel that different but that's beside the point. I've only be taking Xanax for about a month and have read some of the worst things about the withdraw you'll get from it. I don't want to take this anymore for a fear of addiction, how's a safe way to ween yourself off this, without getting a lot of the symptoms that come with withdrawal?
Hello there and welcome.
You have posted on a 14 year old thread.   Please start a new thread of your own.  You'll get more help that way......I myself just scan over the years if they are so long ago and don't read them.

The xanax thing is tricky.....I was a mistress to this devil for 13+ yrs.
So because you haven't been taking them for that long and the dose
is not that bad (not abusing) you shouldn't have a nightmarish experience.
I can't advise you on how to wean, and I would never advise anyone to
go c/t as this is very dangerous with benzos.

Post a new thread like I said and others will be sure to respond as soon as
they can.  I have been clean of benzos for about almost 20yrs. So I think
there are others here who are more current on how to advise you.
I wish you much luck and strength and think you are doing the right thing.
Benzodiazepenes are "H*LL"  in a tiny little pill.  Stay away.

hugs.
ive been on zanax three weeks dont take it all the time .5 mg can i taper off using .25 mg
Been on xanxa for 15 yrs .25 to 1mg.I want to get off but scared of panic coming back.Ive never taken y more than 1mg a day.mostly .50 aday.How should I tapper? victoria
This is a very old thread.  Please start a new thread so your question doesn't get missed.

Click here to start a new thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=77
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.