How long does Hydrocodone withdrawals last?

I was prescribed Hydrocodone/APAP (10/500) in December 2011. Never took more than the prescribed amount (3x Daily). I am now in day 5 since I quit cold turkey. The first 2 days were rotten. My whole body felt achy. Mostly in my lower back. I couldn't fall asleep. I finally fell asleep on the evening of day 2 and slept a good solid 9 hours. (Something I haven't done in quite a while.) When I woke up on day 3 I felt as if I had energy to burn. (Actually got more accomplished on that day around the house than I have in a long time.) However, after working about 8 hours on rebuilding one of my decks I figured I had worn myself down enough to get a good nights sleep...again. But that wasn't to be the case. Day 3 turned into day 4 with no sleep in between. I was able to sleep a little during the day and last night got about 6 hours sleep. But for the last two days I've had this feeling that my body's just not right. I've not had any nausea or vomiting, just diarrhea and a general feeling of malaise. And really not much energy or any ambition. Not sure if I'm bordering on depression. (Though I did have some ambition to get a little done on the computer when I woke up at 2:00 am this morning, but that only lasted a couple of hours.) Also, I find I have to be really hungry to eat (nothing sounds appetizing), and cigarettes (maybe fortunately) taste like they do when I'm sick with a really bad cold or the flu...ich!

Anyway, I have searched all over the net trying to find a list of withdrawal symptoms from Hydrocodone, and it seems no two sites can agree. And all the information I've found about how long the symptoms last are usually dealing with someone who's been taking a lot more per day than I have, and for a lot longer. So here are my questions:

First, can someone point to a reliable web site where they list the symptoms?
Second, how long I can expect this general lousy feeling last?
And last, how long will it take to get back to a feeling where I want to do more than just lay around all day?

Thank you all in advance for answering my questions.
Ive been on pain meds for around 3 0r 4 yrs now. I suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life. Im buying 300 to 400$$ a week. TABS,PERCS/ WHATEVER. I just love the feeling. Im trying to quit. I just felt like they where the only thing that made me feel normal. Like I said ive always had severe anxiety/ depression. I remember times meeting people in the store that I knew well,maybe went to highschool with etc. I would try to get away or try to act like I didn't recognize them to keep from talking to them! The tabs or percs whatever I would take them and feel happy and normal. Even go outta my way to talk to people. I love em what can I say I gotta quit. Gotta wife baby boy and a little girl on the way. I have to quit. I bought 25 Norco 10's last week.. That's 250$ that lasted 2 days. Im on day two right now. having a very hard time but seem to be feeling some better already. The worst so far for me was Around 24 to 36 hrs without any. Hope we all beat these stupid things. There controlling our lives.
My daughter is going through withdrawals from hydro-morph and  dilates not sure that is correct spelling. About 2 hydos 12s  a day and 4 dilates 4s a day for the last 6 months,Two years ago she was addicted to Oxycontin 80s for about 2 yrs .
With the help methadone she got away from oxys,  she just finished one week of methadone 30ml to help her withdrawals form the hydro, Not taking anything now. How long before she starts to feel better she is so sick and so sore, restless legs  all day and night.
I have been on hydro/apap 10/325 4 tabs for almost 3 years. They have made me withdrawn from doing the things I enjoy and taken all of my energy away. I use them with non narcotic patches, gel and ointment prescribed also prescribed for pain relief. Hydrocodone made me crave smoking too. I started becoming concerned about my feeling anxious, depressed, irritability. developing GI reflux, developing DEEP MUSCLE PAIN in my right butt cheek down the back of my leg. There where times when I experienced vision changes, sob, and just an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue every day. I recently got a refill of #120 tabs and flushed the entire contents. I am on day 4 of CT and never plan to look back again. I think this is mind over matter. I have been very lucky with only experiencing annoying coughing and choking the first 2 nights with insomnia. I have some robitussin dm to help with that and sleepy time tea. For the runny nose I use my Flonase nasal spray and take a Claritin tablet. If I get anxious I will take a Xanax if needed. So far my faith has helped me and reading these posts. I'm feeling more like myself every day. I have not had the desire to smoke at all. The pills made me crave a smoke. It's a sick vicious demon but if you want to live a healthy life you have to let go now. I'm off work for 9 days and this is what I planned to do. I'm at home, resting, and getting caught up on many things. Too many people do not have a choice to be ill. I realized I was heading in the wrong direction and turned myself around. I am grateful for what the Lord has blessed me with in life and I want to continue to receive more. My family and my friends would be very hurt if I went in another direction. I'm doing this for me first and the ones who have helped me become that person I am.
I have been on lortab 10/325 for 3 years I was up to 10 a day maybe more. I am not really sure how it happened. I don't drink I only smoked pot 3 times when I was in high school and didn't like it, but lortabs I love (and hate). I have a 3 year old son and a 4 year old daughter and I am a stay at home mom. I quit before and told everyone I had a problem most people didn't even know not even my husband that was a year ago and I only lasted two weeks. When I started again I didn't let anyone know except my brother who also has a problem. Three days ago I was done to my last 6 pills so I took 3 pills for two days and I already started to go through wd. This morning my brother came by and gave me herbal pain pills that he bought online. I took 2 right away my wd somewhat stopped I didn't get that high feeling but  all the wd feelings went away and I got my energy back. I want to know if someone else has taken them before and are they ok to take? Thanks
i have no exp with herbal pain pills nor can we say if there good or bad this site is for quitting  not for giving advice on how to be a better addict.....this is a old post you will have better luck starting a new thread ...but be careful on askin questions about using and how to use most of us are clean or trying to get clean some ppl have been clean for decades other have joined today like you i hope u choose 2 get clean again if not for yourself then for your 2 lil kids and your hubby...your brother as nice as he is for helpin you not be sick is enabling your addiction.....stay strong no better time then now 2 get clean right !!!
thank you guys for being here
I have been on Norcos for 2 years got up to 3  , 3 times a day I have taken it down to 1 1/2  2 times a day as of today should I go down farther ? I have pain but I am afraid it will be like before no sleep and craziness,  what do you think?
wow ! all of you, after reading more I have a great hope to completely get off of it all , but I will go lower before I get off completely I guess I am a wuss, one post said get down to 1/2  3 times a day and should be easier, I am self employed and cant afford to just take vacation, I do feel better reducing them already though , I feel like there is hope and freedom is at hand, once again thinks to all for posting, I will keep trying I promise
I'm a retired cop from TX, and I used to bust folks who had unscripted hydros in possession. Then, I had surgeries and was given 10/500s. I've been using them for 10yrs with decreasing effectiveness; they just don't work anymore. So, I decided with my doc to taper and quit. Not bad, except the arm pain, deep shoulder pain that doesn't quit. I haven't had hydro for 10 days, but nothing touches the pain. I can't take aspirin or any NSAID because I'm on blood thinner, but I will not go back to any opiate. I have a new appreciation for addiction, and I sure didn't think I was addicted, but I now know that I was (am). But no more. I'm retired and married 49 yrs, and I don't want to mess up what quality time I have left. I didn't know this site existed, but found it at 4AM today because I couldn't sleep with the pain and RLS. I glad to hear so many refusing to return to the pill.  I'm with you.
Why dont Dr,s tell you , warn you, put you on a schedule when prescribing opiates like Hydrocodone? I took them from Jan16- March 30. Had surgey on March 26 and shortly after my body started to reject the hydro.Now Im having the worst time of my life trying to recover from Cervical Spinal surgery and go through withdrawals and keep my **** together so my 3 yr old doesnt hink daddy is whack job! Im day 3 and feeling tired, nervous, blood pressure meds arent working well my sweating is less than desirable and stomach is cramping, im drpressed and trying to not cry and no matter what i do i cant get more that 4 hours of sleep!!!!!

Had i known prior to taking these drugs that this is what will happen i would have never taken them!!
Dr's need to take the drugs before prescribing what they do.
I was given 180 pills a month of Hydrocodone. Yes my pain was bad but was there an alternative? why is there no education before we undergo such trauma?

I hope this will be over soon, i feel like im missing out on my childrens lives cuz I feel like a junkie!
So much for medical Marijuana like i asked for " oh we dont belive in that" they said. ******** you dont get kickbacks for it !!
thanks scot, injured & 2 surgeries. took hydros for over a year. my dr.cold turkeyed me & and I had diareha,vomiting, & and went into kidney failure. dehydration was cause ,because of too much fluid loss. the emergency dr.put me on low dose taper hydros. & and I am glad to be alive. all you tough guys be careful. sometimes slow reduction may save your life. day 4, and I feel better than cold turkey.
Hey Brother' that pounding your feeling is very common, coming off this ****..I bet sometimes while ur laying in bed, ur heart feels like its gonna beat out of ur chest. It's just part of the withdrawal.There's so many different things we feel ..coming off it';s crazy. The amazing thing is ur working' that is a good thing..takes ur mind off of it a bit.Your doing it the right way..tapering  urself off of it.Try and eat as much fresh veggies as possible..not sure if you had the ***** or not, since ur doing a taper.One of the most annoying things is the restless lrg or whole body shaking thing..that to passes.This whole thing is natures way of reminding us...don't use this **** again!..Good Luck Man!
I was on 325/7.5s for 7 years, 5x a day. I was trying to hold off as long as possible on a knee replacement, as I only wanted to do it once.My doctor told me  
1) you WILL get addicted, period.
2) when the time comes, we will make a plan to get you off of it.
3) I signed a pain  contract, saying I would only get it from them and only take what I was given according to directions.
4) I only got 140 a month, so they had to last 28 days
5) NOT to go cold turkey as the shock to the system could affect heart and liver function, and make successfully getting off of them more difficult.

I had the surgery, and 3 months after, at the completion of physical therapy, I told the doc I was ready to get off of them. He prescribed 70 pills, and tapered me off by 10% a week- 4 for 7 days, then 3 for 7 days, then 2 for 7 days, a then one, and I was done. It was still rough- not mentally, but I experienced symptoms of diarrhea, restless leg, a squeezing feeling in the chest, anxiety, and so on- but after 5 days, it was mostly gone, though at 21 days now I still wake up at 4 AM and can't sleep, sometimes I can feel my clothes crawling on my skin and I feel twitchy- but this too shall pass. I already sleep better than I did (ironically, opioids make you drowsy but don't allow you to enter into deep sleep, making you tired all the time). My appetite is back I have a better outlook on life, and I'm not the short tempered "angry man" like I used to be.  Best of all, life doesn't revolve around my drugs anymore.I don't have to schedule vacations around when I can get my scrip,  or get halfway to somewhere and have to turn around because I forgot my drugs.  
My doctor recently
hi I hope as is going well for you,..I have to tell you I feel for you, My life is upside down and i want to just give in but then I know how this works.. THERE IS NO WIN.As a nurse I know better than this, but just remember this can happen to anyonebut you can do this. your family is worth it all.. keep fighting!!! im praying for you
I’m retired military, 31 years service. Married 49 years. Three grown children, seven grand children. I am just tired of living on medications I don’t need.  I don’t even know if I can function on my own because I’ve been on pain medicine to long. I have been taking Hydrocodone  for 14 years. I got hooked after taking this medication for three months in the combat zone. I was started on this pain medicine after getting hurt from having my Armored APC 113 blown up in battle. I know I’m well from the injuries or, at lease, well enough to end Hydrocodone. I discovered that I could work longer, harder, and march on longer combat patrols when I used pain medicine, so I continued to keep an active prescription. Now I’m ready to give it up for good! I am in day 2 of  cold turkey. I put the pills away, and I’m ready for battle. Thanks to all your posts. They have provided me with 7+ days of will- power! I’m feeling anxious, depressed, irritability, muscle pain in my lower back and both of my legs. I have an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue all day. My whole body feels achy. I’m walking slower due to low energy and tiredness. My shoulder and neck pain are giving me hell. I am taking Methocarbamol 750mg, 1 tablet 3x daily for my aches. I ‘m taking 1 Ibuprofen 800mg at bed time for pain and inflammation. I take a dose of ZzzQuil to get to sleep at night. PLEASE HELP ME! I'm determined to put an end to this dependence. I still have 120 pills left. Should I be tapering instead of cold turkey? I feel like crap. I feel afraid to trash my Hydro pills. I wanted to just take one more to get thru these aches a bit better. But I didn’t. Anybody; send me some advice and a few words of “hang in there.” Thanks. sgme9.
Thanks....I still am have cravings after a week. Hope they go away.
The best way to get off hydrocodone addiction or quit taking them is to taper !
i got addicted thinking i can work longer and get more accomplished but the truth is its all part of the drug and in your mind you can do just as much if not more with out hydros. this is a strong drug and should be used for pain only and for no further use if you do then sooner or later you will have problems with addiction and become dependent on these. I was addicted for a 1 year and a half was taking 3-4 a day and came to the point were i was dependent on these todo anything. So i started to taper 3 for 3 days 2 for 4 days 1 for 4 days then down to a half for 7 days after that i only had 5 left so i started went 2 days with out them and felt the minor symptoms decided to go anthore 5 days on half a pill a day and quit again i knew what to expect this time just minor flu symptoms after day 4 i felt back to normal   so the best way is to taper for a month  or make your own plan and stick with it it is just will power the less you take the less your withdrawals will be. after being off for a week i fell renewed more clearly thinking good energy better health once you get to this point you will say what was i thinking getting addicted to those and will not wanna go back. Stay positive i prayed to god to help me he guided me so pray for it and he will get you through it and don't forget who was there for you when you get back to normal. Good luck to those headed in this direction and let god be with you. O and protein shakes help when you don't fell like eating and make you fell better. come back and read these post when you get the craving and during your withdrawal it help me!
I'm a disabled Veteran and the VA had me on 8 hydrocodone 10/325 a day for 6 years. Hydrocodone and other opiates for some reason make me hyper. In the past six years they have put me on Oxycodone, Fentynal Patches and Morphin because my body got used to the Hydrocodone and then switched me back to hydrocodone.
I think everyone at one time or another want to quit this horrible drug because the withdraws are pure Hell! My time came when my prescription came to me two days late. I tried to contact anyone I knew who had Hydrocodone to no avail. I knew then my problem was really bad especially because I always found myself taking more than 8 a day.
So, that was my rock bottom and I went cold turkey off of them. Today is day 41 off of Hydrocodone. I can agree that the first week is pure Hell but if you are dedicated you can do it.
My withdraw effects were nausea especially in the morning, body aches everywhere such as my torn tendons in left shoulder and separated right shoulder along with my upper and lower back...The Hydrocodone just masked my problems for so long that when I came off I could barely move my body at all. Sleepless nights but since being off the hydrocodone its better than having those horrible withdraws every single morning before the hydrocodone kicked in.
Everyone out there trying to quit, you can do it. It's tough, it ***** but, can be done!
I am and it is horrible. I feel like im going crazy. it hurts so bad.
I live in a home with my BF and he was prescribed 10/325 Hydrocodones because he is prescribed other medications that can't be taken with ibuprophen or other anti-inflammatory medicines.  I have taken them before for sports injuries and surgeries I had in the past.  With having access to these pills for basically free, it wasn't hard to take one here and there for residual back pain and other ailments.  This began about 2 years ago.  At first I was only taking them every few weeks or so, but over time I found that they woke me up, gave me motivation to do things, and masked my pains (Most of which I could easily remidy with exercize, but laziness gets the best of me).  Over the last year I went from taking one every few weeks to taking 3-4 a day.  I realized that when we got a 60 pill prescription filled, I would have the bottle reduced by 1/2 within about 2 weeks.  I'm aware now that I have issues with these pills, and have started to not take them anymore.  I have taken them consistently (at least 2 a day) for about 6 months now.  It is now 48 hours since I took the last pills and let me tell you the worst thing for me is the depression.  I feel completely worthless, like every decision I have ever made is leading me down a road to nothing but sorrow.  I'm sure part of this is due to my mother's health, which has recently taken a turn for the worse, as well as a bunch of other life situations that have sprung up which have been hard to deal with.  The desire to continue to medicate and numb the depression is greater today than I was expecting.  I knew the side effects of these drugs were strong, as I have had MANY friends who have dealt with the addiction, but wasn't prepared for how strong the depression has been for me.  I feel like I am in a constant state of hearing bad news... where your heart constantly feels empty and is skipping a beat, and doesn't let up.  I know this will go away, but it is making things very difficult to deal with.  I found myself avoiding anyone and everyone I knew yesterday (even my 3 dogs and 2 cats) because my anger was so temperamental and I wasn't able to control my reactions.  I started to think I was just hitting rock bottom emotionally, but then realized that I was also quitting these damn pills and was likely having a reaction to not being on them.  Thank god for these comments, or I would have likely gone home and taken a couple just to east the symptoms.  I am going to be strong and continue on and push through this BS and hopefully regain my control over my own life.  I really hope that everyone here is making progress with kicking this ****.  You always say you won't be the one to get addicted until it is too late.  Well, it is too late now to avoid the addiction.  The only thing I can do now is to push on and try to stay positive.   Here is to the fighters!  Keep going and keep connecting to others who can help.    
I'm interested to know if this really worked for you. I've been on hydros for over 2 years and finally had surgery and of course the dose went up for the last month. Now it's time to quit and I'm wondering if tapering wouldn't be better than going cold turkey?
From experience I use xanax on occasion for anxiety..However decades ago I was prescribed xanax for back pain (go figure) Short term is not a problem..maybe 3-4 weeks max..preferably less..however beware of long term use..I was on purple pill (1mg that is the strongest)  3x aday..They also come in .25 mg white pill...50 mg  peach colored pill..When I decided to quit I thought I could just stopping taking them..I kept getting sick and vomiting e/d with severe headache and did not know why..I finally realized what was happening to me..I had to take off work for 4 days..my skin felt as if I wanted to crawl out of it..along with jerky legs..The dr never told me how addicting they were..I was on them for several years..they are very effective for short term ailments..and give relief from withdrawal of other meds..At least they were for me..hope this beneficial..to someone...
I have done it 3 times now.  2 neck surgeries and 2 back surgeries from a hit and run drunk.  My first W/D was from Methadone that a pain doctor got me started on.  I lost my mind and finally quit after 5 months.  By far the worst and at 30 I thought I was going to die.  went 8 days without sleep (maybe 10-15 min rem sleep) and then another 6 days with about 2 hours sleep.  Got zaps in my arms and legs for a month.

My second time was getting off 30mg oxycodone and 10mg Norco.  I was also given 2 months of dilaudid after my 3rd surgery.  It lasted 10 days with fever symptoms, constant throwing up and limited sleep. No sleep first 3 days then it got a little better each night.

The third time was off Ambien, believe it or not.  I was taking up to 15 a night.  The more I took the less I slept.  My wife finally made me stop.  I lived in Hong Kong and could get 200-300 every other week from a pharmacy.  Over there money talks and you can get anything.

I hope you all stick with it.  I understand why you go through it multiple times when your in pain and then more for the high.  Your not bad people, your just a person like the rest of us.  We are flawed as all people are flawed.  ONCE YOU START, DO NOT STOP.  No matter what.  You will really feel like you accomplished something once your done.
I have kicked Hydrocodone 3 times after long term use months-years taking anywhere from 6-20 10's a day. I find it best to stop everything at once and plan at least 72 hours of no commitments. Say you have the flu. CLONIDINE was by far a gift from science for withdrawal. The worst symptom they call "restless leg" but for me it was more like the feeling of holding my breath until my body was jerking and screaming for relief. The clonidine took all of that away and most of the pain. Advil Immodium and Nyquil are also helpful. Remember Hydrocodone has a short half life so withdrawal is quick. If you keep moving and use a sleep aid and possibly an antidepressant you will get through it. I usually feel better within 36-48 hours. Hang in there! Withdrawal can also be a beautiful and empowering spiritual experience. It brings back the God Factor or Hope and it can be magical. Remember the "restless leg" will come in waves. Get up and walk and walk and walk until it passes then try to sleep. Love you all!
This is a very old thread.  If you would like to discuss substance abuse or have need of our forum please go to the top of the page and click on Ask A Question.  Thanks!
That's crazy Texan817 is me lol I remember all those post I posted I just never figured I run into it again. I got clean for 7 months then started parting a lot (I turned 21) and then I started to abuse the hydrocodien again. As you can tell I'm back on here just with a new name Jameskeenom8171992 I saw someone say don't use Xanax cause then you'll get addicted to Xanax and the withdrawals. But it takes a few weeks to develope a dependence on Xanax. Now if your taken 5 a day for 2 month ya your screwed the withdrawals on Xanax I heard were horrible. But if you break a 4 bar (Xanax) into a 4th or even break it in half it won't be that bad I'm currently on day 5 of withdrawals from hydrocodien (which is my second time detoxing) and over these past 5 days I've taken 6 Xanax bars the 1mg ones (which are the weakest ones. But some people get easy addicted to certain drugs like for me hydro and viks are my poison but Xanax I hate and it helps with sleep and (RLS) along with vitamin c and tonic water etc etc. I'm just saying I'm an example of someone who relapsed I went 7 months clean and just said **** it one pill won't hurt then a year later I'm here addicted once again so I've learned that. Now some people love 4bars(Xanax) and can become addicted to it, but I actually hate Xanax and last time I detoxed I used a bit of Xanax I think I used a total of 12-15 Xanax within 12 days then stop completly no withdrawals and that's when I started working out hard and life got so good I was so happy god was on my shoulder guiding me threw evil then I just said I deserve one good high then got addicted. That's how easy it is to come back on your drug of choice,what I'm saying is it all depends on how you like a drug in my opinion (and I say my opinion) weather or not you develop and addiction depends on you. I personally hate Xanax I don't like the high it makes me sick a little that's why I take small proportions but when your going threw withdrawals for the first 1-14 days I think it's okay to take a small dosage to help with RLS and sleep (although it doesn't help a lot but it does help for me a tad bit but it not might work for others so listen to the people on her purrfectlykrazy is a great supporter and advice giver I listen to HER quite a bit. So if anyone reads this anymore there you go
I have been on hydro 10/5 for over two years, I went cold turkey  4 days ago, I feel a bit better today, I finally slept about 5 hours in 4 days, I am still so miserable, I feel like my skin is crawling, restless legs are awful, I'm very emotional, my chest feels like my heart is going to jump out. I am going to do this if it's the last thing I do, I don't wanna take them anymore, I'm very embarrassed about it but I opened up to my sister and husband and my daughter's so with their help I'm hoping to concur this terrible addition I have, (had)...thank you for your encouraging words..god bless you and I hope your life is better
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
I have been taking lortab 10 for 5 years up to five a day max . I'm thirty years old and I'm starting to realize it's taking affect on my life . I'm not the mother I want to be my mood swings are terrible . I don't spend a lot money on them because they're prescribed for my back but I hate depending on something . Sometimes when I run out I just ly in the bed all day . My child wants me to play but I have no energy and it's killing my soul . I have to stop now. I tried once but I couldn't handle the withdrawls and having to work 8hr to 12hr shifts and be a good mother n wife . I just read about a vitamin supplement called withdrawal ease , the testomonials were great . They described everything I'm going through . Do you know anyone that has tried this .     Cb
Last pill @ 9pm.  Starting in the morning, on Thanksgiving I will not take my medication.  I have been taking between 1 up to 3 per day since 1998. December of 98, I was rear ended in a car accident. Toyota T12 hit me on the off ramp of the hwy.  The force of 50mph pushed my car into a row of 6 waiting at the red light. Car was totaled. I had a compression fracture T11/T12.  Now I degenerative disc disease. One disc is full of blood.  With all that, and time I have been on meds.  What am I in for?  Maybe the pain in just in my head, and the Drs. Are getting rich off of prescribing pain meds.  Or the pain is real.  I am aiming for Christmas for the truth. What can I use for back pain? Thank you for any advice. 51 year old male.
I've been taking hydrocodone for back pain on and off for 15 years,  and this is my third (self)  detox.   Every time it's different.   At first,  the medicine made my moods swing  between  during the day   depending whether I  was on and off (the med) .    In my kids' words,  it  made me seem like I was manic depressive. When they left home,  I detoxed (especially waited because I knew I'da be severely depressed and didn't want them  affected (and i was - I  already tend to depression).

After a few years I went back on  (always prescribed) ,  deliberately allowing myself to up the dose to very high (for me) - ~ 6   10/325/day.    That  was  to  allow me to put my house in shape despite  my pain  (I worked on it 10-16 hrs/day for ten months!)  .   Then I  had to suddenly detox (doc "hadn't realized how much he was prescribing")  at a terrible time  -   family was visiting,  from overseas).  The doc's  ultimatum came  a week before their arrival  (my area is "medically underserved"  - few decent physicians).  This was an irresponsible decision.

I knew it was going to be hard but not HOW hard.   Trashed our  visit,  because I was  in terrible shape.   Imodium controlled the diarrhea and the back pain  was  difficult.   However,  this time the worst was the insomnia.  I couldn't sleep for at least a month no matter what I took  (Ionly tapered for a week  -  until they arrived -  then CT).

Finally,  I got a script for Seroquel  (an antipsychotic used "off label" in very  low dose  for sleep).    Helped some,  but I was literally off balance  and completely nonfunctional from the detox and weird medicine side effects.  I feel repeatedly,  several times breaking ribs.  (I  didn't even go to the ER since I figured there was nothing they  could do and it  wasn't an emergency   since there was no  pneumothorax  (lung puncture).  I knew that because I could breathe without pain.

Gradually,  I went back on (remember, I have a  severe spinal problem!) and  allowed myself to  get up to  3  10/325/day  -   never more,   because of  previously hellacious detox.   Sudden doctor change (the one prescribing the hydrocodone)   forced me to detox,  and within one week I'm  down to 1/2 a day  (5 mg)but in terms of habituation,  I'm   far from  "off".   My sleep is more regular and not as long  (was over sleeping).   I  take sleep aids as needed, also imidium,  and have upped my Advil dose for pain.  

The depression is pretty bad though  (after all,  I am chronically depressed,  "treatment resistant"  - i.e.,  no meds help,  (except for one - Nardil,  which unfortunately landed me in the hospital due to rare side effect.  i figure I need more  dopamine and ordinary antidepressants work mostly on  serotonin).

My problem is coping  with the  depression and  not reaching for a pill. Hope I'm  not overdoing the  Advil  for pain (can cause kidney damage).  I don't know how to handle the chronic pain and depression.

I'm very grateful  that  I kept my dose low this time,  even though it meant I was always in pain.  Currently,  I'm researching new antidepressants (don't want any that leads to  weight gain or sexual side effects).  

I have  four months+  supply left  (3/day)   but I don't want to be dependent on a doctor's caprice (they aren't very good here).  Feeling in control is very important to me.    If it doesn't cause  permanent damage (memory,  hearing loss.  mental clarity) I  wouldn't mind staying on a low-dose indefinitely.      However,  I need better advice from better doctors.   (I already have permanent tinnitus - ear ringing).  I'm also trying meditation,  but so far it hasn't helped,   though getting out of the house is good.  Note,  my spinal disability hampers my ability to socialize -   house is disorganized since I can hardly walk (need support) and I  have trouble making myself do things since even basic  self care  takes so much time,

I  don't feel I can do without that last  1/2 pill   - just knowing I can take  it,   helps.  I must admit I was taking the medicine to a degree as an antidepressant   -    not  just for pain relief.  However, I never took enough to get high in the last years,     Either the dose was too low,  or it's stopped having that effect.    One thing  I'm  wondering is how my brain  chemistry has changed from all the hydrocodone use (over the the years).

BY the way,  you all,  It is NOT true that detox is a matter of a week (least of all for a high dose) .   Maybe the acute  discomfort,  but not  the brain mechanisms!   My  reading of scientific lit  says  the brain chemistry changes can take a decade to normalize, if  EVER!    I  feel my memory may have been affected - also clarity of thought.   :)

Good luck all of you.    One word of advice,  try to get narcotics from a pain med specialist  as few doctors have proper training in prescribing them.   I especially fault them for not warning patients  about side effects,  and  especially  depression.     For anyone addiction-prone and/or depressed they need to know what to expect.   It's even worse to experience severe depression when it's discontnued  (for example, post surgical).    It at least, you know to expect it and that it's chemical,  it can prevent much psychic pain.   Surgeons are very irresponsible this way!

I'm horrified at the dosages some of you  were taking,  especially with alcohol.   THe risk of liver damage from the acetaminophen  is  VERY high,   The maximum allowable daily dose has  been dropped  recently in accordance with research.

Some of you asked how to know it you have liver damage.
GET a "metabolic panel" (it akso checks liver enzymes)  and follow   your doctor's advice.  

This is more serious than the addiction,  although at least the liver regenerates (this means it's easier to get transplants  if vitally needed).
I started hydrocodone in the hospital. I just had brain surgery! That was back in January of this year. I'm an alcoholic and x druggie. I've been sober 16.5 years. I must admit before going in for surgery I was a little excited knowing I was going to have major painkillers. But now I'm sick of them and trying to get off.

So what I've done over almost 6 weeks:

When I came home from the hospital I was on 2 325/10 Norco hydrocodone pills as needed a day, which for me at that point was every 4 hours.  Two weeks later I tried downsizing to 1 pill. That was too low for pain and a sense of withdrawal I could tell already! Then I got the staples and stitches removed and that was even more severe pain than before. My Neurologist at a follow up then told me that when the pain usually really happens because tanking off the stitches/staples makes the muscles start repositioning. Yes, the pain was with a vengeance and I went back up to 2 pills every 4 hours. It was Norco as needed.

A week or so later I went down to 1.5 pills every 5 or 6 hours. Then a week later I went down to one. At some point in between I've tried just taking Aleve a couple of times, but the cold turkey withdrawal symptoms started. I had never experienced it but figured it out quickly. I get them when I don't take my anti seizure meds.

I've tried taking half hydrocodone pills every 4-6 hours but somehow that is uncomfortable. So now it is about 6 weeks. I had 2 surgeries. January 6th and 13th, 2015. My hydrocodone script was getting low so I called my surgeon's office for another and asked for something milder. I told her about the withdrawal symptoms, and how I want to get off. The nurse suggest Tylenol 3. She reminded me that it's just to be used as needed. I know what happens when it wears off. I totally let it wear off last night and my head hurt immensely. I know a dose of something like 2 Aleves doesn't work and I get withdrawal symptoms.

Tylenol 3 has less than half the codeine but I'm using it. I'll  keep reducing the dosage slowly. I am experiencing a little withdrawal now. I took some Immodium, yesterday.

I've been laid up for 6 weeks anyway so all of this is part of a recovery but I hope this helps. I hope its helps me just talking/writing about it putting in perspective. I like being sober I intend to stay that way. I need the painkiller I'm not using it to get high. I ask my Higher Power for help all the time. Everythings gonna be okay.
I been addicted to viccodins 10/325 I was taking as much *** 25 a day my money started to decrease all I can do is think of it so I had anuff so I went cold turkey and by day 3 I was moving around and got more sleep and today is the beginning of day 4 and I fill better
I was on a similar dose as you for years.   I weaned down slowly.  Basically after about 2 weeks I felt normal.  Specifically day 17 was a huge breakthrough.  You will feel normal soon.  Hang in there!
I did it! I was taking 2 Tylenol 3's for pain every 8 hours until about midnight Monday night. It's now been just over 24 hours! I woke up without much pain and just thought I would see how could get by. I made it through all day. It's still a little touchy. My head could still get achy. I suppose I could take a plain Tylenol and see if that works. Anyway, those dang withdrawals are done, Jeez Loueez!
Keep up the great work!
Been taking 4-6 hydrocodone 10mg for 8 years trying to stop my pain doctor prescribed gabapentin 800 mg four times daily it helps
I am just reading into this years after it had originally been posted. I am grateful for those that have been clean for months at end. I am on day 2 of my cold turkey cut off. Hydro-acetaminophen 10/325

I am feeling leg pains tightness, this morning was down in the slums; sad; not sure of why; I have been feeling that I need to cut off these pills because i would see myself daily doing for pills. I want to flush what is left of these pills and this way it'll dry up what I have left. I am feeling okay as the day gets better, I called loved one to talk about nothing just to feel better talk on the phone see how they are. Theres a lot of negative in this world.

This is the first time I've been on meds that I require I feel like i wanted that daily feeling of just feeling better... I guess that would be a high?

Thoughts from others?
I would start a new post as this one is very old. Just go to ask question and tell your story, many people on here to help!
I have been taking 1 to 2 hydroco. for the past year...I have a hypersensitive
stomach and overthecounter pain meds mess it up.  For the most part I have
taken only 1/2 of a 10/325 each morning and then mid-afternoon.  Rarely have
I taken more than 2 whole ones a day...primarily only the two halves....my
script is for 60 tabs/60 days, so that limit has been helpful.  I'm very sensitive to medications and cannot use many that have been prescribed
for other problems.

HOWEVER, I have developed what is called "rebound headaches"....this has
happened to me twice before, once in the 80s on analgesics, and once in the
90s taking fioricet for migraines.  I would awake each morning of both events
with splitting headaches after taking these meds for several months.  The only way through it both times was cold turkey plus I used biofeedback
methods.  I learned that from a headache clinic when getting off the original analgesics.

So now I'm getting off hydrocodone.  You'll either think I'm crazy, or you've already heard of this....I am alleviating, sometimes avoiding completely, the
withdrawal headaches by sleeping with a large bar of soap under my pillow.  I started using the bar of soap (dial or some hard soap...not Dove) 3 months ago after hearing putting a bar between your bedsheets at night alleviates
leg cramps/leg aches.  It worked beautifully for that and has brought about
other improvements in my body.  The only thing that I and my scientific
brother can figure out is what we've read:  an acidic body causes inflammation, and inflammation is the basis of many illnesses.  Muscles get
inflammed and contract.  PERHAPS the alkalinity of the bar soap neutralizes the acid....I'm just guessing, but there has to be a chemical
reason.  I know lots of people (especially older people) who have experienced these positive results.

When I started having these rebound headaches, and knew I couldn't take
ANYTHING to help....everything would make it worse....I thought that
possibly the contractions in the blood vessels in my head might be caused
by inflammation. And I have read that medications do make the body more acidic.  So I sleep w/the soap bar under my pillow and wake up
without a headache.   This has happened 3 mornings in a row....I'm not
taking the hydroco., but my side effects now are lethargy and mild depression.
I have very little energy and am hoping, based on what I've read on this website, that will change in a few days.

For all the people with restless legs, muscle cramps, whatever....try a bar
of hard soap between your sheets.  Doctor's columns in the Los Angeles
Times and Orlando Sentinel newspapers have discussed this phenomenon.
I know people whose dogs had arthritis, they put the soap in the dog's bed and the dog improved dramatically.  You can google this...there is a website
about "Bar of Soap Helping Muscle Spasms".  In my personal experience
and that of others I know, it helps.
for other problems.

and that of others I know, it helps.
Does anyone still monitor this thread. I am starting to detox from hydrocodone and wonder is this is still monitored I take 4 10/325 now and have for about 2 years maybe less. I take it for the pain in my feet from diabetes but hate that it has taken control of my daily life.
Start a need post and you will get a lot of help from some amazing people on here!
Have your compression fractures healed and are you without
pain now!  I got on hydro a year ago for the fractures and now I'm in the process of tapering off.  I thought I could just quit.  Ha.  That's a joke.  I tried not taking hydro for just a couple of days and thought I had the flu.  Bad flu.  I'm now down to raking just one 7.5 per day.  Believe me, when I don't take it, I'm miserable.  Hopefully I'll taper down to 5-325 in the next week or so.  I hope this works.  

I've been on Hydrocodone for 13 yrs., for Degenerative Disc Disease.  I recently saw a spinal expert reconstruction surgeon.  His requirement is that I must be off hydrocodone, then wait 4 weeks, taking no hydrocodone for pain relief AT ALL.  

If anyone knows anything about spinal disc degeneration, you know what kind of pain I'm in right now.  My pain management Doctor is taking me down slowly.  I will be completely off by the 9/29/15.  Still, I am having withdrawal symptoms.  He gave me a drug to take if the withdrawal got bad but said to only take it if I really needed it.  The script was for 56 pills in 8/15.  So far I've only had to take 6 of them.  I can take up to 1 every 8 hrs.  

How long does the body hold onto the addicted state?  My surgeon says that in order to get good pain management post surgery, I need to be off hydrocodone for at least 4 weeks.  This is so that my body will not demand an escalating amount of pain medicine to give the same pain relief.  He says that by waiting the 4 weeks, my body will have returned to normal mode.  I'm not addicted mentally, but physically.  

I thought that I could quit cold turkey and did so.  I wound up in ER with a racing heart and throwing PAC's.  I had had Atrial Fib and had 2 surgeries to correct the atrial fib.  I no longer have A Fib, but coming off hydrocodone is affecting my heart!  I never knew that my body could be addicted like this.  I wanted to just stop taking the pain med and that would be that.  It just does not work that way.

Does any one else out there have the same problem I do?  Logically, I know that I won't be able to stay off the hydrocodone indefinitely.  The surgeon has already told me that I will require "damage control" surgery on my back every few years for the rest of my life.  And, that at some point I will have to go back on hydrocodone because I will have pain the rest of my life.  This is seriously depressing.  I will have to do this again, and again, and again.  Seriously, I just want pain relief.  I am only going to get a slight reprieve, then have to back on hydrocodone again.  I just hate this, hate having to live like this!
After taking hydrocodone for about 25 years, I quit 1 month ago.  I knew about the withdrawal symptoms from reading on the Internet. Pretty accurate. I took Benadryl for the first week to help me sleep.
Take your life back. I did   Such a waste of so many years
I realize these posts are a few (years)and months old but if anyone out there sees this, I'm looking for ideas.
I was on hydrocodone for 10 years, started out at 10/500, 2-4 times/day but eventually lowered the dose to 1/2 that on my own. Just didn't feel I needed that much. I take it for VERY severe Restless Legs Syndrome. I started on it in 2006, by late 2007 I started having dizzy/nauseous spells (like motion sickness). I saw 5 primaries, 2 ENTs, a neurologist, allergy Dr.,physical therapist.... NO ONE could figure out what was wrong.  It usually came on in the fall and went away in the spring/summer. Last year a PA diagnosed it as possibly, vestibular migraines and at the time it seemed logical except that nothing he tried me on would stop it. I actually did not have it this year until March... weird.... except that is coincided exactly within 3 days of quitting hydrocodone. When I quit the hydro, though, it was to go on methadone (low dose) as per the Mayo Clinic neurologist's direction. Same issue... RLS. The dizziness/nausea symptoms have now lasted a month. It seems eating (anything) usually triggers it. I get really sleepy and will sleep over an hour during the day when this hits me. Can hydrocodone do this? Either being on it OR quitting cold turkey? Hydrocodone NEVER made me feel good, it was actually the opposite. I felt tired and flu like for the first 3 months. Everywhere I turn, I get a different opinion as to what caused this and how to stop it,  I've had MRI's, allergy tests, blood work, ear/hearing tests and recently was told by a Mayo nurse that it might be hydrocodone withdrawal, (except that it's lasted so long). It's not the methadone (5mg/day... very low dose) as I've been on methadone before with no side effects.
Any thoughts? I tired of being sick!!