How many is too many?

I haven't been on here in a while but a while ago i was struggling with addiction to painkillers anyway i have been ok, but twice in the last month i have taken an overdose of painkillers, i told my psychiatrist who said i would need to get tests done. I posted on here because i find you guys really helpful and i just wondered how many is too many when does it become dangerous? Thanks everyone
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry i frustrated  you i know i can be like that sometimes, yeah i am struggling with life in general at the minute but i know this is an addiction forum so its ok, i know everyone is different and has different problems.
Thankyou so much for talking to me, it has helped so much.
I also saw my therapist today we are trying to work out why i hate myself so much which leads me to take medication impulsively, i guess i'm just messed up thats why at times i want to end it all.
Was with my doctor too and he recommended i stick it out with the therapy, thats all i can really do.
Thanks again
Helpful - 0
Glad to hear that it helped some..I'm sure that finding something to feel good about has been difficult in your life recently but know you can find an ear in the forum here, and we will do anything we can to help lift your spirits at times you really could use it...

I have to admit you were frustrating me some as without knowing what it was you were taking,, I felt like it left me standing with no way to figure out what to say that might help you deal with your loss of identity right now..Heck, we all get caught up in that from time to time so your not alone with that or the feeling we get on occassion that people don't understand....

So breath easy, things are what they are, take it baby steps at a time if necessary, and stay close to the forum if you need some shoring up or hear that things will get better..As long as your making a positive attempt to make things better, it has no choice but to get better.

Hope all went well with the Dr today..Drop a note from time to time and let me know how your doing ,,ok?  David
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all that information that has made things a lot clearer to me, i really need to stop this and now, i will get blood taken tomorrow just to be sure.
I am recieving some help for depression, but its not helping much but anyway.
Thanks again it really helped.
Helpful - 0
I wasn't goofing around i know i may have come across like that though, thanks for replying again.
I am going to discuss all this tomorrow with my doctor i need to sort it out and soon. Thanks again
Helpful - 0
Thankyou "Inneedofhelp". Knowing what it was you were talking about does help when interacting in this forum:)

Ok, I looked and researched it some..First off, here's some of the side affects I found listed:

Common side effects of Nurofen may include, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness, fluid retention and swelling, heartburn, indigestion, nausea, nervousness, rash, and vomiting. Rare side effects of Nurofen may include, abdominal bleeding, blood in urine, blurred vision, changes in heartbeat, confusion, depression, dry eyes, hives, inability to sleep, kidney or liver damage, severe allergic reactions, shortness of breath, sleepiness, stomach ulcer, vomiting blood, painful urination. Ulcers or internal bleeding can happen especially when Nurofen is used for long time or in large doses.

I note there are a couple different versions of this drug out there..One called Nurofen Plus has codeine included to aid over and above the normal Nurofen's pain killing attributes..Normal doses range in the 800mg to 1200mg range..The "max daily recommended dose" was set at 2400mg..I saw a number of forum comments in different sites where some individuals were taking 20 to 24 pills daily who stated they hadn't had any major problems but were seeking help as they were concerned that they would develop problems if they kept that dose up.And rightfully so..Continued use of large doses will eat away at one's stomach lining causing ulsers and bleeding..

So based on that, I'd say you probably dodged a bullet when you took those larger doses as it was only a couple times and not something you were doing on a daily basis for weeks at a time..

I would still go ahead and get some blood work done and discuss this with your doctor though as that will give you a definitive answer on all your concerns...Seeing a good blood test come back which I think you will have will definitely help get some of this pressure off of you where you can see things aren't as bad as you thought..Then get yourself some followup help to deal with your anxiety and depressive issues, some which the nurofen may have contributed too.....

Wishing you the best..Hope what I posted here helps ease some of that confusion thats chasing you...
Helpful - 0
Hey~  I know I was not taking your post very seriously at first. But,you were pretty vague
and it seemed like you maybe goofing around.  I apologize for my remarks.

So,what were you taking specifically?  Anything in huge amounts will hurt you. But more importantly,you need to look at the reason WHY you did it.  

Oh,I see now what you took. 20 is a lot but won't kill you. It will hurt you though! Please don't do that again. It WILL cause buzzing in your ears,at the very least.  Have a nice long talk with the doctor tomorrow. Make a list of all the things that are stressing you.

Continue to post. Again, I'm sorry for my blase' attitude. I do wish you well~
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Please talk with your doctor about this.  None of us here want to see you hurt yourself.  Stay in touch okay~~~~sara
Helpful - 0
Neurofen, don't know if its spelled right, 20 in one go, i know its too many in one go, thanks for your help, sorry for overeacting i'm just stressed at the minute. I see my doctor tomorrow i will talk more with him then and get the blood tests done i think i have to go to another hospital to get them done.
I know i didn't give enough information i should have been more clear in what i was saying.
Helpful - 0
I know and i am sorry i didn't give enough information but thanks for the support anyway.
I am trying to work through my issues but i have moments where it doesn't go so well for me. Thanks again
Helpful - 0
Nobody is trying to be rude..Its your asking for some feedback yet your leaving out the most important part which is "what was it you took?". Aspirin?, motrin? How much?

Without that info though, your asking us a question we can't even begin to answer..Your best bet is get some blood work done and consult with your doctor..Then seek some help for whatever underlying issue you had that drove you to do what you did.
Helpful - 0
Hey Inneed,

No bother...it's just hard to help w/o specifics. Get your blood work and follow your doc's instructions. It would probab;y be a good idea to talk it through with him; like what you're trying to run from. If you can work through that, its a good start.

You've got to take what you can learn from this forum and leave the rest. Dont let ppl's comments get to you.

Stick around. You deserve to be here as much as anyone else.

Take care.
Helpful - 0
No, need to be rude, you have know idea what i have been going through, sorry if i don't seem as bad as everyone else ok, i took an overdose with the intention of killing myself, it didn't work, end of story, i just wanted to know had i done any damage sorry for asking that of a so called support forum. Sorry for bothering anyone don't worry i won't again
Helpful - 0
Yes. I'd suggest bringing this question to a doctor or a mind reader. Perhaps a miracle worker,as well.
Helpful - 0
What "exactly" is it you think you've abused? This isn't a guessing game forum. Your asking for suggestions but its kinda hard to give you any if your not going to say what this "mild painreliever" is..What is the drug and what was the amount you took that you feel was an overdose?

IBKleen says it all though..Your doctor is really the proper person to ask as to whether or not you have put yourself in medical jeopardy..
Helpful - 0
There is no way we could diagnose your physical condition on the internet. Please listen to your doctor and get a good check and blood work.
Helpful - 0
Taking too much of anything can hurt you, that is why the directions tell you how many to take....it is not just a suggestion made by the drug company, it is because extensive research has been done on that drug and going over that amount could and has caused problems. The thing is, wether you are using over the counter meds or opiates, you are taking them as an addict and you need to deal with that. When I was in rehab, someone had to change thier sobriety date because they used benadryl in an addictive way. Until you get to the root of that, you are in danger of relapse....please be careful
Helpful - 0
I take them just to get through the day, its not a buzz i'm after its an end to all the buzzing in my head that i'm after, had enough of all this stuff, just wondered did anyone know if i could do damage by the amount i took my psychiatrist said i needed to get blood tests done, just wondered did anyone on here know anything about it.
Helpful - 0
If you're talking about Asprin, then take what the bottle says to take.

No more, no less.

There's absolutely NO way to catch a buzz off Asprin, if that's what you're thinking. If you take too many Asprin, however, your stomach lining will deteriorate and you'll eventually develop ulcers.

Take what the bottle says to take dude.
Helpful - 0
It would help if we knew what it was you were taking and how many, but to answer your question, your probably taking too much if your concerned about it..Are you taking these for the right reasons such as a pain issue or just to get thru the day?
Helpful - 0
something like asprin, just mild painkillers.
Helpful - 0
Are we talking about narcotic painkillers here, or are we talking about Asprin?

If you're an addict, (1) is too many if you're referring to narcotics.
Helpful - 0
What about just plain painkillers not really too strong i know what it says on the box i exceeded it by about 5 tablets, just being stupid really.
Helpful - 0
I can be pill free thats the thing, then when things get bad its like i need out of here and i just do it and wait, i feel so out of control at the time. I feel like i'm kind of pushing myself to see how far i will go, don't know how to stop.
Helpful - 0
the old saying goes...1 is to many 1000 is not enough.. and WOW twice in the last month a overdose that doesn't sound like your OK to me ,so are you ready to quit using or no..????...AND P.S IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN THE DANGER ZONE NOW 2 OD'S IN A MONTH......just hope you decide to quit cause life could be great for you living pill free..god bless you.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community