Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Hydrocodone withdrawl

I want to withdraw from Hydrocodone. I've been on pain meds steadily for 2 years. A year and a half ago, I came off cold turkey from Percocet which I had been using for 6 weeks. It was the worst experience of my life.  Physical symptoms were horrible, but the depression was worst.  I have always struggled with depression and take effexor. I have used the drugs to self-medicate. Lately i've been taking Vicodin ES.  It no longer gives me that HAPPY feeling just keeps me going.  I am a married mother of two school age children.  Is there an alternative to  a detox center?  I still have the viocdin, could I gradually wean off of them if I enlisted some outside help.  I would rather die than face that debilitating depression again. My husband is aware of my problem and has been supportive. What about Clonodine; i've heard things about the patch.  Last time I withdrew I was up and around again on the fourth day.  I know that wouldn't be the case this time.  I know that I will need help to stay clean, but for now, I'm simply worried about the withdrawl and my children.  Please help if you can.
Thank you.
It's possible but realistically probably unlikely that you'll be able to wean yourself off the Hydrocodone by tapering. That kind of will power is just not common in addiction.

A better option would  be to try to taper to as low a dose of hydrocodone as you can over a week's time, then quit entirely with the aid of clonodine or even better, buprenex. A doctor can prescribe buprenex, and it will enable you to withdraw almost completely painlessly.
Pancake:
welcome to the forum! there is always room for one more addict, so come on in out ot the cold!

to start with don't start making assumptions about what your withdrawl will be like. you'll find out soon enough. second yes clonidine can help, especially in the patch form. there are a number of other meds your doc can give you. klonipin for panic attacks (these are a hallmark of any opiate withdrawl i've ever been thru). also valium for sleep, and a muscle relaxer.

i'm sure someone will post Thomas's detox. i'm not sure of the easy board site address though. among a lot of good comon sense advice, a regiment of vitamens and an amino acid called L-ty- rosine. This vitamen/amino acid stuff really has worked wonders for me. just remember opiate withdrawl might make you wish you were dead, but it won't kill you!

hey eveyone else:
day 3 no oxy. i feel retty good except for this horriable feeling
of restlesness. i was actually able to go out to breakfast with
my wife this morning!

in the 7 months i've been coming to this cyber place i can not
describe how much beter my life has become. the board adminis-
trator, "Cindy & Phil" desereve a good deal of this gratitude.
see i don't want to be just another junky that shootsup, burnsup,
and generally wreaks a wide swath of destuction in my path. i'll
probably be on oxycontin for some time, (or so my doctor says) i
guess more than anything this forum has let me find out that one
can live a productive life, while taking opiate pain meds. these
little vacations from dope i take serve several purposes, one of
which is for me to find out the level of pain i'm going to have
to live with without my oxycontin!

anyhow keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Just admitting that the hyrdocodone only makes you feel normal now and taking the first steps in wanting to wean off and eventually stop is A HUGE FIRST STEP. Give yourself alot of credit for acknowledging and realizing that. If you need mre help and feeling anxious than please get in touch with an addictionist doctor. If you live on the East Coast, check out www.doctordeluca.com  He has a listing of doctors who specialize in outpatient detox. Last Spring Doctor Deluca helped me wean off a major percocet habit, weaning me off with Darvocet to stifle the Opiate withdrawl, Clonidine to help with withdrawl pains and Valium for the Anxiety and restlessness. You can do this at your pace. I was fine until tearing my knee up in September and going through Reconstructive Knee Surgery. As you can imagine, I had no problem asking my docs for Oxycontin and Percocet. The good news is that, like you, I realized it was controlling my life again and getting pretty ugly. I haven't used since 1/18 and still hurt a little but I AM GETTING BETTER. I picked up some LYOSINE 500 mg. They are Amino Acids that restore you and help regain some of the brain chemistry that dimmed when we were medicating. I still take an Ambien at nite for sleep and an occasional Ativan for the Anxiety. For all the resources and wisdom I used to get the drugs, the trick now is to remember THIS PAIN OF WITHRDRAWL and stay clean at all costs. I rationalized my drug use for 25 years(I'm 41) and I truly want to stop beating the **** out of myself. If I can beat this Oxycontin addiction than you can sure kick the Vicodin. Don't ever be afraid to reach out and ask for help. It's heartwarming when you find out just how many people will basically come out of the woodwork to help you. You just got to want it. The best of luck to you.YOU CAN DO IT!!!!  Tommy
sWEET PERSON, i AM GLAD YOU ARE FHERE. yOU ALREADY MADE ONE OF THE DECISIONS AND THAT IS THAT YOU ARE AWARE YOU NEED TO DETOX. iT TAKES COURAGE ANS STRENGHTH AND YOU MY DEAR, HAVE IT. i WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOU SOME MORE SUGGESTIONS THAT MADE ME FIVE DAY DETOX A BREEZE. iT WILL TAKE A DOC. WHO REALLY UDERSTANS ADDICTION AND SOMEONE TO GUIDE YOU IN THE VITAMIN DEPARTMENT. i STARTED WITH THE "RECIPE" BUT CONTINUED ON THAT AFTER THE FIVE DAYS WERE UP. i AM STILL TAKING VALIUM AND TRAZADONE AT NIGHT, BUT DON'T SLEEP. i just talk on the phone or read, or listen to my music. Also, Don't beat yourself up. No need. It takes what it takes to be in that mind set to prepare for that not so frightening day. Please,pleas e-mail me at: ***@**** and I will respond. You take caqre and get as many questions answeres before you rush into it. I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT i FEEL LIKE I DO.  loVE ANS pEACE rOSE1
In addition to all of this great advice, I worked at an herb store for a while. Chamomile tea is a natural muscle relaxant and it is good to get direct sunlight if you can. The sunshine stimulates a gland that will produce a good neurotransmitter. Hot baths and showers helped me too! Do hang in as long as you can and know that you are not alone my friend.
Hi everyone, it is past midnite, and though I have taken everything I could think of, being in day two of Vicoprofen withdrawals, sleep is not coming.

I am wondering.  Ihave been on about 50mg a day of hydrocodone products, Norco, vicodin, vicoprofen, for over 3 years.  I still have the pain problem, but want a new way of living.
Question:  How long does this misery last?

I can be reached at ***@**** if anyone wants to offer additional advise.

Peace be with all of you.