IV Pentazocine Addiction

Dear sir,
I wish to state that my husband has been using pentazocine medication IV for the past 5 years now.  Is there any way or any medication I can give that will help him avoid taking the drug?  Secondly, I wish to know if pentazocine has any effects on libido and procreation?  He takes approximately 100 mg of pentazocine daily.
Regards,

This discussion is related to Forum Guidelines - Please read before Posting.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi & Welcome,

I assume you are not in the US, probably India. We don't have that drug available here to my knowledge so if you could give us a bit more information it would be helpful.

What is he taking it for? How does he obtain it?
Helpful - 0
Just from what I see online, this drug is available with and without Naloxone. Obviously if he's using it IV, it doesn't contain Naloxone or he would go into precipitated withdrawals. Since the drug is an opiate I'd assume it would decrease libido. I can't speak for everyone but l have experienced decreased libido on opiates - on the stronger ones it's basically non-existent. I don't think using opiates has any effect on procreation, if you mean birth defects. As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) birth defects aren't possible until further along, until after the egg has been fertilized and development has begun. In other words, if the mom was shooting up Pentazocine, then maybe, but with the dad, I don't think so. There are plenty of alternative opiates, but really you should discuss with a doctor. Maybe there's a legitimate reason why he needs that particular drug, maybe not.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply.

For IBKleen,
Yes, I am from India. Initially, my husband has started taking Fortwin injection IV to get relief from toothache. Gradually he became addicted to it.

For bkwrm679,
He is taking fortwin injection IV (without Naloxone). He has lost libido for the last few years. We have discussed with doctor. He advised him to get admitted to the hospital for treatment, but my husband disagreed. He would prefer to taper the daily dose of fortwin gradually and thus zeroed it. But I don't think that it will be possible for him, as he has a hectic schedule.  
Helpful - 0
I have been on pentazocine and i want to stop, what do i do. Am in Nigeria
Helpful - 0
i am a sickle cell patient and take 60mg of pentaz daily. i feel my day is not complete if i dont take it. i know am seriously addicted bcos i didnt wanna believe when my doctors told me. even with pains i can control, i keep crying i dont want other pain killers and i dont fell good if i dont take it. please, how do i stop this completely. i need help
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
My fiancee was a Nigerian living in Lagos, we were just about to get married. She has been taking Fortwin for 5 years, due to a severe chronic hip joint pain. She used to take about 450 ml daily (15 ampoules of 30 ml each, IV). Eventually she died of Acute Liver Failure. My friend, I beg you, please stop doing Fortwin, it's an insidious killer, beside being a pain killer. Best regards.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community