Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Marijuana

I am very worried that my sister may be addicted to marijuana.  I hope that you can answer my question expeditiously because I need answers and I need then soon because the sooner I know something, the sooner I can help her.  I have tried this type of website before and I never received a response, so I hope your website is different from the other.  Anyway, may sister is married to a man who smoke marijuana on a VERY regular basis and I am afraid that she may have started smoking as a result.  Here are her symptoms:  the palm (inside) of her hands are darker than normal, her lips are darker than normal, her teeth look yellow, but ironically she is loosing weight very rapidly.  I noticed low immune systems are associated with the use of marijuana, and she just got over a disease called luekopenia, which I am not familiar with.  Another symptom of marijuana is rapid or increase heart rates and my sister has suffered from an illness called mitral valve prolapse.  I have notice a huge turn around in her personality, as well.  Can you please help me?  I am so worried about my sister, so worried, that she is on my mind constantly.  Please answer this question quickly, because my sister is also a mom and I want to help her very quickly, if, in fact, these symptoms prove to be true.

Sincerely,
C. Gregory
Christian-
I am a 24 year old nurse, I do not intend to diagnose with my following words.  This is my disclaimer to all I talk to, As with any medical condition, please consult your family physician.

I understand your concern for your sister.  The best thing to do in a situation of suspected drug abuse is to let the proper authorities know, in your case, her physician.  Proper testing can eliminate any question of abuse.

You mentioned that your sister has MVP (Mitral valve prolapse).  I am assuming that this is a proven prolapse and not MVPS (mitral valve prolapse syndrome).  If that is the case then, the MVP can cause the characteristic darkening of the hands, feet, and lips.  The fingernails and toenails will sometimes also appear to be dusky or a darkened pinkish-purple.  This is caused by a decrease in oxygen to these extremities aggravated by the slippage of blood through a malfunctioning valve.

MVP can also cause mood changes for the same reason.  Individuals with MVP will experience a "spaced-out" feeling.  They also experience panic and anxiety attacks.  These attacks leave them feeling vulnerable and in turn cause personalities to become more defensive.

MVP is  most frequently diagnosed in young women in late childhood to early twenties.  The following is a list of some more symptoms:
Heart murmur, chest pain, INCREASED heart rate, fainting, fatigue, low blood pressure, dizzy spells, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, insomnia, too hot or cold (not related to weather), irritable bowel syndrome, difficulty swallowing, frequent headaches, mood swings, allergies, muscle spasms, PMS, sensitivity to meds, decreased immunity(could explain prior health problems), frequent stomachaches,weight loss, and sweet tooth tendency.

The symptoms of MVP as you can see would be easy to mistake for substance abuse.  Since there is reasonable cause to suspect substance abuse in this case though, I would recommend consulting her physician with this possiblity.  If you feel that your sister will be cooperative on the subject, then even discuss it with her.  There are now over the counter drug tests that can be purchased reasonably.  This may be an option if she would willing concede to one.

I wish the best of luck.
Please listen to Elizabeth.  The symptoms you describe are consistent with a diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse.  They are not necessarily indicative of smoking marijuana.  You should advise her that smoking marijuana due to her condition is contraindicated.
smoking pot won't cause the symptoms you described anyway. You cannot become physically addicted to pot, there are no withdrawals on the body, only addiction there could possibly be is mental. Actually read this forum, if one had to choose a vise, pot is the best of them all, easiest on the body. Beats the heck out of alcohol, or pills!
Christian,

Elizabeth is correct.  I have 2 daughters.  One has mitral valve prolapse and the other PVC (premature vascular contraction).  Both smoked pot.  Neither could handle the negative effects on their hearts.  Both quit.  Both displayed nearly all the symptoms Elizabeth has described.  The worst was panic and anxiety.  Believe her.  She speaks the truth.  After all, forums are places where positive information is passed back and forth... and that's what its all about.  They aren't places to play, although some might think they are.- Christine

ive smoked pot for 40+ yrs, recently diagnosed with mvp I cannot do it any more I get the worst panic attacks that last for 1 to two hours ,and who says pot isnt addictive, it is very hard to quit
We are having a debate in our English 11 class. The group that we are debating against is for legalizing marijuana and lowering the alochol age to 18. I would like for you to help me answer som questions.
1.Do you think they should legalize marijuana?
2.Do you think they should lower the age of drinking alochol?
3.Why or why not?

I hope to here from you ASAP.
Marijauna is not right for everyone, but it has many medical and recreational properties. For instance, marijauna is known to do the following: Relieve pain of arthritis and rheumatism, reduce interocular pressure and arrest the advance of glaucoma, help relieve migrane headaches, is useful in psychotherapies including those for stress, depression, and anorexia, it reducesspasticity in multiple sclerosis and paralysis, it eases withdrawl from other more harmful drugs such as opiates, alcohol, and tobacco, it relieves menstrual cramps and pains (the U.S. government is currently testing it for that application), helps astma and emphysema patients breathe more freely (these people do not have to smoke it to attain theses affects), allieviates nausea and vomiting especially for chemotherapy patients,helps overcome insomnia, helps overcome dehydration, blocks epileptic siezures, helps (especially HIV and cancer patients) relieve stress, depression, pain, loss of appetite, and drastically reduces nausea. It was originally made illeagal not because it was "bad" for you (in fact over 30,000 doctors were arrested for using it as medicine), but because the hemp industry was the only major competitor with other fuel, food, paper, textile, and pharmacological industries. Hemp could replace all nuclear power plants at a fraction of the cost of fossil fuels, and none of the pollution. The plant can create four times as much pulp/acre for paper than trees, four times a year at a fourth of the price, and a fifth of the pollution. "The hemp seed is the best and cheapest scource of protein." - FDA. The plant will grow in almost all conditions, and unlike tobacco, fixiates the soil with nitrogen, thus helping other crops. The fabric made from the plant is the most durable in the world,and can be made into all qualities of rope and fabric. From the corsest rope, to the finest silk. The sails of the mayflower were made of hemp. All drafts of the declaration of independence were written on hemp paper. "Make good use of the hemp seed, and sow it everywhere." - George Washington, First President of the United States of America. Marijauna also has recreational properties, but with far less devastating effects than alcohol or other legal stimulants or depressants. Marijuana does not cause violence, money and organized crime associated with the drug are responsible for that. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on non-violent drug offenders , many who are valuable members of society. Marijauna can also inspire imagination. Paul McCartney once said to producer George Martin "Seargent Pepper was a drug album. Read one last thing: Would you judge a book by its cover? Would you tell a friend or family member that a book is bad, if you've never read it before? Have you ever read a movie review that called a move bad, then saw the movie and realy liked it? Would you ever persecute someone for liking a book you've never read, or did not personnally   enjoy, just because they are, or have read it before?

If You never have, and think people who do the things stated above are shallow, then take a look at the paragraph slightly altered.

Would you judge marijauna only by what you've heard about it? Would you tell a friend or family member that mirijauna is bad, even if you've never used or tried it before? Have you ever read a movie review that called a move bad, then saw the movie and realy liked it (The same is extremely likely with marijauna)? Would you ever persecute someone for using or liking marijauna, even if you think you wouldn't like it, just because they use it or have used it (Have you ever thought you would dislike a food, then tried it and loved it)?

The choice is yours. If you are ignorant of something, will you express an opinion about it, and persecute other people who have different opinions then you. Make the wise choice, the one only you can make.

The choice is yours. If you are ignorant of something, will you express an opinion about it, and persecute other people who have different opinions than you. Make the wise choice, the one only you can make.
I couldn't agree more with Stuart Campbell.  I'm so sick and tired of pot getting such a bad wrap.  I've been smoking for over 30 years, have had serious abuse problems with pills (fiorinal & soma) that I have not taken for 4 months.  The pot helps me, it doesn't hurt me.  I'll be smoking pot until the day I die.
Honestly your sister is not the only one in the world that smokes pot if she does! If you realy want to know just ask her and dont get all bent out of shape cause then your gonna want to make her keep smokin pot and if she does not want to stop you realy cant stop her. Just tell her how you feel about it and go from their,and just rember alot of people do smoke pot.
hey. i was wondering if anyone could help me out. I get the WORST tension headaches. the pain is hard to describe. Anyway, ive had every test u can imagine done to me. They cant tell me anything besides "its stress" i dont even know what im stressing about. i see physcologists, stress managment people, learnt how to meditate. The tension headaches are still there. a friend of mine suggested that i try smoking weed to help releive the pain. at first i thought it was a bad idea, but the drugs i am taking now (pain killers) completley knock me out and i hate them, so now im serriously consdiering it. does anyone have ANY advice for me? will weed help me with the pain. PLEASE {PLEASE give me some advice. im completley clueless on this subject!