Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Methadone Taper

Hello , im new here, im currently on 10mgs of methadone, i have less then a month to finsh out my taper. i have never felt any of the drops, im goin to drop to 7.5 on friday , does anyone know at what point do you start to feel the taper. My therapist told me you dont untill your actually off, and its not that bad if you tapered down. Should i just ride out the 10mgs till my clinic closes or finsh my taper.
OH i had another question, i have bad anxiety , i see a therapist to help with breathing and other drug free ways, i was told to go to my family doctor to get clonodine as my blood pressure is 140/90 or something like that , as was told it would help with the wds, i also was giving prozac , is this stuff safe to take while im still detoxing , my doctor wanted me to start the prozac before i got off so it has time to kick in , says takes a month to work. i must say ive been on methadone for almost 8 years, always at a low dose, i been clean since that day i got on it, other then the methadone . ive been ready for this , for a long time, but as a addict i would find reasons to stop my taper, now i dont have a choice , my therapist thinks this is a sign , that its time , the little push i need to get off , its not that i htink i will relapse, as i dont even know where to get drugs now a days, nor do i care, i got rid of that life along time ago , im afraid of the wds, and being a single father , scares me. ive seen alot of support from this site to other members , i think i found a good place to share my story.
Hi...and welcome to the forum.....well your doing great as for feeling the tapers it is different for everyone  I came off 150mg and went in and out of withdrawals the whole time  I did a fast taper though  kicked in 8 1/2 months....most people start to feel it at around 20mg so your doing great so far.... just take your time and let your body be the final judge in when to lower doses....get up to walmart and pick up a 3 in 1 vitamin  calcium/magnesum/zinc  take 4 with breakfast and 4 with dinner  in a few days it will really help with the withdrawal  as for what to expect it is different for every one the forumula we use is how long you been on it...how high a dose and your age will foctor in  it is not so much the severity of the withdrawal but the long recovery time that makes this drug hard to kick.....you just dont realize just what this drug has been doing to you until your off of it.....also it can take 3 days to feel the drop in dose because methadone has a long 1/2 life....just know there is life after methadone and getting off it will be one of the best decisions of your life...I have helped a lot of people kick this drug and will be happy to help you also....keep posting for support................................Gnarly.......................
Many congratulations on getting this far and wishing you all the best on your journey.
Thanx Gnarly , ive been taking a multi vitamin for about 2 months now, i have some melatonin and got clonodine from my doctor, my taper can only extend into may 28 to be exact , as thats when my insurance is up and the clinic is closing.  i was suppose to be already down to 7.5 but they been giving me a hard time and not putting my request in for the doctor , but i went and demanded to see the doc and he scheduled 7.5mgs on friday. Hopefully i wont feel it as i started this whole journey at 17.5 and havent felt a thing yet. i never was on a high does 30 was the most , but i just been on it for so long.
had no one pushing me to just get off , it was like drinking coffee , didnt really do anything other then i guess keep the cravings away, which its been so long i dont know what they are anymore. depending on how the clinic mess around i might have to drop 5mgs the next time around. but i guess ill tackle that bridge when i get there in 2 weeks. do you recommend any thing else , i saw someone say 5 htp, lytrosine or something like that. i havent started NA yet, i wanted to wait till i got like down to 5 or 2.5 . Thanx for answering me.
Well everyone some good news is that im down to 7.5 , and so far everything is a ok. but im not sure, if i will get to continue to taper down, i read that possibly this friday coming up ,my clinic might be closing for good. just looking for some strong words of advice, that it wont be so bad coming off of 7.5.
God Speed
hi....well 7.5 is very doable  I always recamend 5 as the goal because tapering below 5 is miserable  just know you have tapered well and it is not so much the severity of the withdrawal as much as the long recovery time  the issues that bother most people are the inability to sleep and the ''energy crash''  both take time with this drug...I also recamend getting up to walgreens and picking up some stuff called highland restful legs  it really helps with the restless leg syndrome that happen  a lot when detoxing off this drug  it takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to get threw the phyical withdraws so just be ready for it  keep us posted on how it goes  where here to help
.................Gnarly..................
Thanx Gnarly , i really needed that boost , i set myself in to a panic attack yesterday wasnt able to sleep last night cause of it, ive been taking a multi vitamin, i was shooting for 5mgs but , if they dont get their license back on friday the doors will be closed, for not only me but a few 100 people. i saw that at walmart , and was goin to pick it up, ive been to my therapist who also detoxed off methadone , and she thinks its very doable also. i went to my family doctor who gave me clonodine, she recommend i ask for trazadone or something for sleep.my stomach hurts , but i cant tell if its from the anxiety or the detox, most of my fear is that i do have something big and important to do on Saturday with my kiddo, and if they close on friday then well ill be **** out of luck,  when you say long recovery does that mean i will be stuck in bed for a month , or do they get manageable
Hi.....well you wont be stuck in bed for a month but you do get hit with a debilitating ''energy crash'' that hands down is worst then any of the other opiets  it like your watching tv but you dont have enough energy to even get up and go to the bathroom  it is crazy  the only thing that seams to help at all it exorcise  witch seams impossible  my wife got me out every day for a walk each day we went a bit farther  just know it can be done  sleep always seams to be a ishure it took me 2 months to even get close to a good nights sleep  trasadone is worth a shot but I have found the only thing that really helps is time...keep posting for support I have helped a lot of our members off this drug....YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
........................................Gnarly.........................................
Thanx man, i just got a letter saying that saturday will be my last does, unless i transfer to another clinic, my clinic lost their lic. on apirl 30th, i dont have a option to transfer , its to far , and being that im on 7.5mgs, i guess sunday will be my jump date, im fighting everything inside me , to not worry or be scared, im sure ill post again as the days get closer.
God Speed.
Hey dude....just touching bases with you.....so saterday is it....well congrats for taking your life back we will be here to help you threw this  just know it is always worst in our minds then it turns out to be....try not to let fear get the best of you  we can get you threw this  keep posting for support I have to work tomorrow but I will check back with you tomorrow night...may God be with you
....................................................Gnarly......................................
Thanx Gnarly_1 actually , they gave me my weekend bottles , so i have todays and tomorrows, and thats the last of it, they closed the clinic today, it was on the news i guess, 167 people didnt get placed in another center, i choose awhile back to not get transfered and ride it out and quit. im just having a huge time getting over the anxiety of all of it, im probly just adding to the situation, but im worried i made the wrong call, i want to be off of it , im tired of worrying will it hinder my life, ive been saying for years that next time will be when i stop taking it , they made it so hard for me to taper down to 7.5, if they would of just put the request in , i would be at 2.5mgs. but oh well , it is what it is. im afriad of having a bad panic attack, and dying from the increased bp and heart rate. last night my chest hurt so bad.Im rasing my daughter, and this worries me that i wont be able to be there for her ,physically or mentally, i dont know i dont have a choice at this point , but other then take todays, and then do it.
btw i just wanted to thank you, for taking time out of your day to respond to me. its a super boost knowing someone out there that i dont know cares enought to reply.
Hey Dude.....well first off your not going to dye although you may feel like it... if your in reasonably good health your going to be fine....now as for your blood pressure  it is normal wile detoxing for it to be a bit high  as for the anxiety  it was one of my worst symptoms so this is normal also....it does make it seam worst then it is  deep breathing helps as do a good hot soak in the tub...I have said this a million times but '''you just got to be ok without being ok for a wile''  this should be your mantra wile you detox....remember it is only temporary....methadone withdrawals come in waves  it will peak in 7 to 10 days remember to force the fluids  eat small meals even if your not hungry....get some ez to prepare meals your not going to feel like cooking  sleep is impossible but I found that rolling up on the sofa in a big comfortable blanket wile lissing to some soft music will give you a stat of deep rest   it will also help relax you we will be here to walk you threw the whole process so keep posting
......................................Gnarly.................................
So  ok tomorrow is your first day.....so tonight you wont sleep because your worrying about things....I was told once that worrying is like praying for what you dont want.....  just know YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
recovery is a  ''we'' thing not a ''i'' thing as soon as your up to it get to a N/A meeting the support will really help you threw this.....your going to need outside support the only way to do this wrong is to try and do it alone.......keep posting for support.............Gnarly................
i actually slept last nite, just closed my eyes next thing i know its 4am, i got up went and got a puke bucket cause i had my nervous sick feeling i normally get , and then smoked a cig and went back to bed.its 8 am now and the nervousness kicks in , i keept saying im not goin to be able to do this, i keep saying someone call for a bed at a rehab center , but i know everything is full ,everyone keeps scaring me ,i personally know some people that went thru this, one told me its nothing , a few sleepless nights a bunch of bathroom runs, the other tells me its pure hell , and by day 9 they caved and said they couldnt do this. i dont know who to believe, im one of those guys that need to know whats coming up ,i sit here for hours trying to think, is my stomach goin to hurt like it does now, am i goin to be so sic i cant move, ive watched to many videos i think , trying to prepare myself for this, no sleep, body aches, cold sweats, diahrea, does that all come at once, what am i missing. im actually hungry this morning , i dont know what to eat. im afraid to get sick and puke it up . i been drinking gatorade.
You can do this.  Don't be afraid. Give yourself positive affirmations it helps.. ten milligrams is low jumping off is doable. You have the right expectations so you won't be dissolutioned. But you can do it. You just gotta ride the no energy no sleepsh#t. But for me it was annoying but tolerable. You are stronger than you think.  You can do this!!!!!!!
Thank you kelcoo , so far im feeling ok, just nerves really , im actually jumping off at 7.5 , just trying to keep focused, one min, im like i got this, next min like **** is that my heart racing, i dont got this. its it ok at this point to take some valrian root for anxiety, i was always afraid to mix drugs when taking methadone, i must say this is the longest ive gone with out taking it in 8 years, thats my first accomplishment. i do want a new life, i do want to be free, just afraid i wasnt ready because i got kicked off my taper before i got to 2.5mgs. i know one thing i have to do is stop watching those negative videos out there, of ppl that jump off at 100+ mgs, does it make a diff if u jump from such a high does as compared to what i am jumping from.
Right on for making  it a mother minute.I would say it's okay to take valiroot can't type. In my opinion jumping off at 100 is ewe way harder than 7.5 is by a long shot. You can do this!!
Day 2 , cant say much just feel a tad off today i got good sleep last nite, few complaints so far is , mouth is dry as hell, no matter how much gatorade i drink, and just a weird sense of off ness in my head. hope this goes smoothly , it likes waiting for a slow death, but i never done wd before , no clue what to expect.
Was wondering how your doing?
Hey Dude just checking up on you.....the withdrawal hits in about 3 days from methadone so hang in there....it is a good sigh that your not feeling much so far.....sleep is a huge benefit I dident sleep at all for like 2 months....you have kept your dose low and tapered properly so this might not be that bad  keep posting for support
...........................................Gnarly..................................................
Day 3 , doin fine, slept good last nite, just a little bathroom and stomach issues, everyone keeps scarying me, ive only ever been on 17.5 mgs for last 4 years, i was down to 7.5, when i jumped. i just cant imagine one day not feeling like myself. ty you guys for wondering about me. i keep just thinking its goin to be so bad and there goin to have to take me to the hosipital.
Day 4 , so far so good i guess.
well my friend thank God  for the get out of jail free card    every so often we get someone that beets the whole process   your that guy
im happy for you  it was a real mofo for me to kick and most others now put some aftercare in place to keep from having to do this ever again...............................Gnarly.............................
i dont think im home free yet , been being hit with cold chills all day, and sneezing.
Day 5, morning, cant complain to much, everything feels ok, slept fine last nite , a few cold sweats, but i just rolled over and went back to sleep.
Hey Dude.....well your only getting minor symptoms  the sneezing and sweets are all part of it  at least your sleeping good that is huge  just take it one day at a time  you should recovery quickly
..........................................Gnarly.......................
Day 6 , slept well, other then these random stomach issues in the morning , anyone else have churning stomach sounds when detoxing off this.