Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Need to quit - for good this time

Hi - I'm new to this forum and have been reading everyone's posts, all which sound all to familiar to my situation. I started on Vicodin's after having surgeries and just liked the energy they gave me to be a wife, a mom and a full time employee. However, I believe I've lost 2 great jobs because I would be high at work and not able to focus on my tasks and I now I have another great job that I don't want to put in jeopardy.  Also, my marriage is in trouble because of my addiction and my husband doesn't know that I'm still taking them.
Right now I'm on 1 1/2 days cold turkey and just need some moral support. I can handle the withdrawal symptoms since I've done it before, but this time I need my MIND to agree with me.  Thanks to all and good luck!
Sounds like its about time you make sobriety your lifestyle again. Little by little an addict burns the bridges they so carefully constructed over their lifetimes. Those productive days you remember are probably nightmares to the loved ones around you. What we perceive as good sound behavior looks a lot different to others. In other words. We fool only ourselves. Pathetic right? That's no way to live. Don't wake up in your fifties and wonder where your life went. Let me tell you, it happened to me. BUT! It's never too late. So get ready for a wild ride. You didn't get this way yesterday and you won't be all better tomorrow. Good Luck and remember. You can do it....ike
Wow your story is almost a copy of mine. My husband says he will never leave me but I know he can't deal with this much longer. I too took the pills for the energy, the mommy of a 1 year old and a 2 year old, a wife, and a college student. My husband asked me the other day what I loved more my family or my pills. Boy oh boy that was a slap in the face because the hardcore truth was I loved the pills more than ANYTHING. I was super woman on them and now I am on day 5 and can barely get up the energy to go to the bathroom. I get pissed off when I have to pee. And that's for real. I had to make the choice in my mind first that this is it!!!!!!! If I keep going I am going to lose everything and be alone for real. You just have to think of your life And your family every time that craving comes up. Please stay strong. We all have it in us we just sometimes have to dig real deep. Also ask yourself the same question that my husband asked me. Girl all I could so was cry after he asked me that because I was truly putting pills in front of everything else in my life including my husband and children. YOU CAN DO THIS
Hey there, welcome. Gonna say what I say one thousand times: you gotta cancel ALL your contacts. The doc, the street, etc. Delete phone #s. Have you done that? If you leave the door opened to get some, you will. Trust me, we've all done that and learned the hard way. You will have cravings, that's part of detox. But it's just your mind screaming at you because it wants it's fix.

Look up the Thomas recipe. The stuff on there will aid in wds. Also, to STAY clean we all need aftercare. Anyone get clean, staying clean is the work!:)

Keep posting!:)
I could not of said it better then jifmoc!!!

I just wanted to add one thing I did over 2 yrs ago is got some Videos and paperwork on Addiction in a more Scientific way. This will not cure you, but if your Hub or Family watches or reads they might give you more support. Do not beat your self up, it is a Disease and like all others we need help & support.
Bless
Funny thing is I know all of this, but this addiction is such a mind f*ck. I train for 1/2 marathons, eat healthy and have NO problem quitting sugar, red meat, etc., but this addiction gets a hold of you! I know what I'm doing and how I'm damaging my body, but the amount of control it has is unreal. That's what I can't get past
refills - you are SO very right! What I thought was an "energetic, productive day" my family probably thought I was a total nut because I was jamming around.  However, when I was on the Vico's, I would be all energetic and start a huge project and then run out of them and never finish.  Needless to say, I have about a dozen 1/2 finished projects around my house that drive my husband insane. I'm only on day 2 of no pills and so far it's all I can think about. It *****
Hi and welcome! So glad you found this site! You will find lots of help and encouragement and definitely lots of us who understand right where you're at!!  Congrats on the 2 days!!  Keep hanging on and posting!! We are all routing you on!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
The pills give you a false sense of security. You need to get to counseling, support groups, na, aa, celebrate recovery, church,.
We aren't  supposed to be super humans. Living life on life's terms.
Everything has a time and place. We set out own bar too high.

Change your way of thinking. You are better without pills.
Believe in yourself.
There is always hope.
There is freedom from the chains and bondage of addiction.
Keep the faith,
Debbie
atthebeach - That was a really nice comment you made there. It is true. I am on day 8 right now and am really starting to feel that the chains are lifting off of me. It is a relief, but things are still difficult.

nvvicaddict - I too felt like a super hero on my preferred substance, oxy. I felt like I could do anything. Going to work and staying up insanely late was no problem with the help of a few of those blue pills. Well, make a long story short, the fun stopped real quick, and quickly I became a slave to the substance. No longer felt like super man. I just needed the pills to feel "normal." The mental part of quitting an addiction is so difficult, but you have to move on and come back to reality. Stay motivated and try your best to have a positive attitude that you are making a healthy decision. Keep posting, everyone on this forum is so great!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hey how are you doing?
Keep on keepin on.
Recovery is a marathon not a sprint.
I'm doing better today than I was yesterday. Withdrawal symptoms aren't as bad and I got a good night's sleep last night. Thank you for checking on me, means more than you know :)
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your welcome. That is good news. Stay hydrated. Eat light foods.
Move around as much as possible. Are you working today?
You have been through this before.
Staying clean is what you need to focus on.
Cutting your supplies. Having a new mind set. Doing things
Differently this time around.
Please consider getting some outside support.
No man is an island..
Keep up the good work.
Congrats on wanting to reclaim your life.