Nurofen plus withdrawal
Hi everyone - I have just come across this forum - and would like to ask help and advice.  I have been taking nurofen plus (ibuprofen + codeine sulphate 12.8 mg per tablet) for 5 years - I take about 24 tablets per day (all at once - like the feeling along with the pain killing effects)
I must give these up - for I understand this is addiction - and must find another way to deal with pain.
I guess nurofen is much like tylenol (2? 3? 4?) - dont know which one.
So on Sunday I took 24 and on Monday I took 12 - felt lousy today and took another 12 - the plan is to stay on 12 for 3 days and then go to 6 for 3 days.
Do you think this is feasible?  I have to continue working and functioning - I have a family of 4............ So - I cannot just go c/t.  I am thinking that perhaps cutting to 6 on Thurs might be too much, but I am due to go to the US on the 14th for a week with my daughter - work and fun - and I want to be off for that trip.
Any advice would be so helpful.
Thank you in anticipation
chewey
Get as many tools as you can. But I can't stress this enough, when you are 5 days clean start taking Naltrexone. For me any my many many relapses I regard it as a miracle drug. Not only does it reduce your craving for all drugs including alcohol, but it also clears your mind from the never ending prison that is addiction. I take it every day, its not addictive, and most of all it works! Any GP will give you a script if you tell him what you want it for.

Please Please try it!!  

Naltrexone, I agree is very useful and if it is keeping you clean then I would agree that for you it is a 'miracle drug'.
However, a Liver Function Test (LFT) is indicated before Naltrexone is started for a variety of reasons.
Well done to everyone who is doing well.
It is easy for professionals to 'downplay' the seriousness of Codeine addiction as our working day will be dominated by Heroin and Crack users.
If you need support your local drug service should run some kind of psycho-social programme to help equip you with the psychological tools to stay clean.
We have just launched an on-line programme that will be really useful for people who work or do not feel that the usual approaches are suitable or attractive.
I cannot recommend NA strongly enough. I send my clients along to the local groups and the majority attend time and time again.
You will be taken seriously and people will help you.
Never underestimate the power of the 'share'.

Best wishes to everyone

G
Substance Misuse Specialist  (Suffolk UK)
So, I have unfortunately got myself into a predicament, made worse only by the fact that this is round #2 for me. Have been taking 40(ish) N+ every day for what must be almost 4 years. About a year ago I saw a doctor and managed to wean down on codeine tabs which I really didn't stick out for long once I had come off them - maybe a month? I now have to do this again, but probably on my own as i can't imagine going back!
I went to another doctor a while ago (one I didn't know) and got not a lot of help there unfortunately. So I am now just trying to taper off the actual N+ tablets myself - which I have half heartedly been attempting for months!
My stomach is wrecked and I basically suck.
I can't really get time off work so I will have to do it this way and hope I can reallly stick to it.
My partner knew last time but there is no way I can tell him this time.
Ummm...any encouraging words appreciated.
Has anyone succesfuly stopped doing it this way?
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
I wish I had checked back on this thread sooner, as I thought it was dead.

None of the old regulars seem to be posting anymore---weird!

Anyways:

I am still off the Tram and Nurofen :) It's a miracle, and I am really grateful. I struggled on and off for four years and now I am free of it.

My advice, based on my experience: find out WHY you need to take so much of this stuff. In my case it was finding out I had low thyroid that unlocked the key. After I was put on T4 thyroid replacement (although it took a few months), literally the day came when I just didn't want to take Nplus anymore, like, the "need" for it had been removed. I believe, in my case, that is what caused this whole mess for me: undiagnosed Hashimotos. It causes a lot of annoying symptoms one of which is joint pain and emotional 'downness'. Nplus filled this hole for me, and over time I started taking it because I HAD to as well as that I wanted to. It cost me a lot of money, maybe even my fertility, etc.....but I just glad I am free of it now. It was like a prison in the end, and I really feel for those of you still caught up in it.

This thread isn't active enough anymore for daily support I don't think, but I will try to look here when I can.

This thread helped me immensely, even when I was still taking the pills, I would read everyones experiences and felt better. And then the day came where I too became a success story :) You can too.

So try and find out if there is anything else wrong with you that is creating this 'need' for the Nplus, and then take the advice of people here who have been successful.

Good luck!!
Just for the record, I've been finished with Nplus and Tram since February 10th 2013.

:)
Are you from UK?  did you get on subs from drugs n alcohol?
I am waiting to be allocated to a keyworker n wondered how long the processs took to be prescribed subs as i need to be off codeine n re-build my life x
Have you contacted your local drug n alcohol service? They offer things like counselling n depending on funding substitute perscribing eg subutex. They may try to help you reduce or write a journal on your daily use. It's all confidential. Would you consider this? Did you contact your GP? (Sorry on iPhone so can't read your posr same time as typing to see if you mentioned GP).

Evey x
I've been a N+ addict for about 5 years taking 25/30 a day. Like everyone else in the end I was taking them just to feel normal. I'm very proud to say that today is Day 17 of my going cold turkey. I knew this was the only way for me to quit. It has been a total nightmare with all the withdrawals especially the restless legs and lack of sleep. I had to confide in my mum which was the hardest thing I've every done but she has been so supportive and actually stayed with me for the first couple of weeks. Had she not have I'm sure I would have relapsed. The restless legs have eased off now and I'm actually managing nearly 6 hours sleep a night but my calf muscles are very sore which I'm sure is the result of me constantly having to move my legs for the past two weeks. I've still got the runs and am reluctant to take Imodium cos I took them at the start and that when I started to vomit so am worried to take anymore. I have zero energy and feeling very low. I'm very concerned by the comments on here about people that have gone back on N+ after quitting. I feel very strong about never going back on them but am sure others felt that way too so any advice on what happens to make you return to these life ruining pills would be greatly appreciated. Forewarned is forearmed etc etc. I never want to go through this again and although I know I'm not fully over all this yet, I do feel I'm well on my way. My last N+ tablet was 18 days ago so I know I'm over the worst. Still can't quite believe I've finally done what I've been wanting to do for years.
Hi Angie & Welcome. This is an old thread. What you should do if you'd like to ask a question is go to the orange button at the top of the page and click on it Then cut and paste your above story into it and hit send. It will then appear on the forum. When you see the little hour glass thing, it means it's an old thread. They're dated.
Oh ok thanks, I'll do that
Hi, I have been here before, I had gone through the pain of CT from N+ and also managed to quit smoking weed and cigs.
I lasted 8 months clean.

At the end of my Ct last time I felt so energized and like a new person, that I managed against all odds to start a new business.

The stress of doing that (my excuse) got me back to the dreaded N+ so that I could physically cope on my own the labour that was required to set the business up.

So I am back in the s*** and again I have to face and deal with this now as I have many commitments to deal with including travel in the coming months.

So here I am on DAY 2 of CT, feeling horrible physically and emotionally for having let myself and my family down after such a good progress.

I had relapsed about a year ago and have kept it a secret, when I told my wife, she was furious for a few days before she calmed down and decided to again help and support me in my battle with the poisons.

It is so easy to relapse, no matter how long you have been of, you are always in the danger zone if like me you have an addictive nature.

I am committed to fight my addictions no matter how many times I have to do it.

Good luck to all
Gus I remember you, and I am sorry to hear you are struggling again :(

I hope the CT went ok!

I am still off them, believe it or not. I have a whole nightmare now, and that's trying to get the right Thyroid replacment meds and all that jazz. But nothing was as awful as being a slave to N-plus. I am very glad to be free of that.

@ Angie809, WELL DONE!

As for why people go back, well, numerous reasons I'm sure. For me, the last times I went back was because I was sufferring from untreated hypothyroidism and didn't know it. So the pain and discomfort kept driving me back--I was self medicating!.

Others have other reasons I am sure.

Once I got on thyroid replacement, the urge and want to take so much Nplus just evaporated slowly.....I no longer needed them and so I was able to wean down and finally off. I always encourage people here to get checked for things like that to make sure there isn't anything wrong.
I was a OTC codeine addict for 5 years and found it very difficult to get a clear picture of the withdrawal process from anywhere. This made going through it very difficult, I had 3 failed cold turkeys and 2 years of failed taper plans. I think if you know what to expect it takes some of the fear away so this is my experience of getting off the drug.

The withdrawal starts on day 2 anywhere from midday to late evening depending on your level of dependance. Typical symptoms include restless legs, insomnia and feeling wired

Day 3 is the worst you are likely to experience. Typical symptoms include restless legs, insomnia, feeling wired, diarrhea and feeling like you have a dose of the flu.

The acute phase of withdrawal lasts 5-7 days and is unpleasant.The only medication that will help during this phase is Valium (Diazepam 5mg three times a day) and sleeping tablets (Zopiclone 7.5mg once a night). If you are going to use these I would advise you to only to use them during this phase to avoid triggering another addiction.

Days 8 - 14 this phase can be  difficult if you don't know whats going on. Unlike the first week, where each day gets a little better, it can seem like there's no improvement (HANG IN THERE!). Symptoms during the second week are restless legs, insomnia and feeling wired. However you will feel better than week one.

Day 14 - 21 The main physical symptoms are over and you will feel more relaxed and the restless legs should be settling down or gone. Now that the wired feeling has subsided a heavy depression can descend for a couple of days but this will soon lift. Gradual improvements are usually felt each day. Insomnia still persists.

Day 21 - 28. Things start to get a lot better! Unfortunately the insomnia will continue but you will start to feel a lot better emotionally and mentally. By the end of the week or sooner you will start feel "Normal" again.

Day 28 The insomnia may persist for while. How long will depend on the length of your addiction and how much you used. 8 to 12 weeks is typically the absolute maximum unlike benzodiazepine post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) which can persist for months or even years with lots of unpleasant symptoms.

Throughout this whole process your brain is readjusting to the absence of the opiate drug. Once it starts producing sufficient quantities of dopamine and endorphins the withdrawal is over.

Things that help in my experience are:
>Imodium (binds to the opiate receptors in the colon and helps prevent diarrhea and cramps)
>Sugary foods (help lift mood) but not milk or dark chocolate which contains theobromine which is a stimulant similar to caffeine but weaker.
>Keep hydrated
>Avoid Caffeine (not good for insomnia)
>Emotional support (from family or friends)
>Hot baths (eases restless legs and promotes sleep)

In my experience getting "clean" is the first step. I would recommend attending Narcotics Anonymous to stay off codeine long term otherwise the chances of starting the whole sorry cycle again when life gets difficult is high.

I hope this information helps, it has been learned through bitter experience. Codeine addiction pretty much destroyed my life but now I am clean and in recovery. If I can do it anybody can. GOOD LUCK.  

THANK U!
8-12 weeks is the maximum it takes for the brain to readjust from codeine withdrawal. Benzodiazepine PAWS can last for years. Just to reassure anybody reading this
Hi, I've only been taking nurofen plus for a couple of weeks now, about 30 pills a day. I was wondering if I'll have the same withdrawal symptoms?

I have been n+ free for a year now... I have posted before, I wish everyone the very best of luck here... life is just so much better being free of this addiction. I look back and cannot believe all that I went through and how I used to behave. Also, opiate withdrawal in your brain can take up to a year... it isn't a matter of just a few weeks. You will always experience ups and downs, it is only now that I am completely back to where I was mentally... and this is the case for many people. Read up on PAWS for opiate addiction, it will state all of this. So, after several months and you still don't feel how you used to feel, keep strong, it takes time!! You have got over the physical side, the mental side takes a lot longer (which is why many people end up relapsing). Furthermore, REMEMBER as human beings - we have days were we feel low, or sad, or lack motivation and energy... thats just what being a human is like. I had to remind myself of this because the pills just completely numb you...

Anyone need any help just ask.

I also read a post about a woman who is finding it hard to conceive... I haven't heard about this yet, my periods stopped for months and months - around 10 months... but they came back after the blood transfusions I had. My blood count was so low and I was majorly anemic, that was the reason why they had stopped. They can also stop due to malnutrition, imbalance of hormones and weight loss... all of these are related to nurofen plus abuse... But again, I had three blood transfusions. My blood count went from 4 to 8 to 13.7 and the next month I was completely fine :)
am reading yer posts,,, Many Thanks keep going x
Hi Gina,

Hope you are ok and managed to get on the road of recovery. I haven't been on this site for a while as life events took their course - my father passed away suddenly and I had to travel home to Africa for the funeral. In my early days of recovery I felt that if something like this happened I would certainly deserve a drink or a drug such as n plus. As it is I continue to be sober and clean. I am 2 years and 3 months clean and sober, which is amazing given that I was so addicted to n plus. I guess you will have read my story and so know what happened to me. I am clean and sober today because I have accepted that I am an addict, I can't stop on my own so go to both NA and AA which have helped me tremendously. Recovery is possible and I feel very blessed that I am in it.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with my father just before he died and I must say I connected with him in a way I could not have imagined and I know this was because I was clean and sober. Prior to this I had not seen him just over 2 years and when I did then I was steeped in my addiction to n plus. I could not be bothered to communicate, isolated, felt tired weak etc. but seeing him when I was clean and sober was incredible and that is why I know today that n plus would only make things worse for me as I grieve his loss. Wish you all the best with your recovery and you can do it,
Hi, I have spent the last few days just reading thru this and coming to terms with the fact that I'm an addict. I'm not even sure anyone still reads this, but for me this is the first step in my recovery I guess. I kind of always knew the nurofen+ was a problem, but honestly didn't know I was addicted. I just always made sure I had some on me and would have 2-3 at the slightest ache or pain, and they made me feel better really quickly, and I love the energy hit I get. I have never taken the huge amounts I have read about - probably around 9 - 12 a day on a bad day, and some days just 3. But I would get panicky if I didn't have some somewhere. But I must have been living in a bubble, because I didn't even think this was an addiction problem, I remember holidays when I didnt take them, and always felt sick and achey and yuk by day 2 or 3, but put it down to change in weather, or lack of coffee or stress, and would head off to a chemist to get some nurofen+ and things would be better. This has been going on for about 8 years (maybe longer, I can't really remember).
Two weeks ago I thought that as I am trying to get fit and working out and dieting, I should get off the pain stuff (for some strange reason I always feel that when I'm taking a bit I get a 'pot belly' tummy). So instead of buying my usual nurofen+ while at the shops on Wednesday  I got plain panadol. As usual that night the small niggly pain started in my back and shoulders, so I took regular panadol and went to bed early with a wheat bag. The next morning I had a sore back again, and a slight headache so had a coffee and a few panadol and off to work. By lunchtime I was still feeling yuk, so went home early and took more panadol and rested. By Friday I honestly thought I had come down with the flu, and sent my boyfriend down to get me some Lemsip and a sinus spray, and spend time in bed. On Saturday I thought I was dying with the worst flu ever and ached and my legs couldn't get comfortable and I was sneezing all the time. I moved around a bit and cleaned for a while, but felt so bad I just ended up in bed. Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, but I was exhausted because sleep just wasn't possible even though I felt so bad. Monday I dragged myself to work, and finally stopped at the chemist on the way home, and got nurofen+ thinking the panadol just wasn't strong enough for this flu. And by the time I got home, I was feeling 60%. I cooked dinner, and took a dew more and went to bed finally able to sleep, and feeling like I'd finally beaten the flu. Tuesday I work up with a 'hangover' headache (even though I don't drink) and popped a few more nurofen + and off to work. Back to normal again thank goodness.
I wasn't happy about taking the nurofen + though because of the excercise and bloated tummy thing, so for the first time ever, I googled these little pills to see why I had this side effect. And to my horror I started reading about how common this addiction is. What a reality check!!! I have since spent every spare minute reading everything I can find, and having to admit to myself that I am an addict. I feel like I'm in shock and need to make changes. I have an addictive personality, with my biological mother being a heroin addict (thank god she adopted me to a loving family) I have always always avoided the party drugs. I've tried and loved speed, but knew my risks, so I stayed away. I don't drink and try to limit my smoking. My best friend is struggling with an ice addiction, and I have been pretty judgmental and harsh trying to help her, never realizing I too am an addict!!
So here I am trying to work my way through this emotionally, and knowing I have to get off these horrible little pills (even though I took 3 just to register here and type this out) . As I said im not sure if anyone is still out there on this formu, but this is my first step in admitting my problem and I feel better (slightly) getting it out and on here. Next step is quitting, and hopefully getting some support here? Anyone out there who can offer advice and support, please do - I will be extremely grateful.
Hey Mickey. Glad you've taken the first step in deciding to quit by asking for advice. Withdrawal from a codine addiction is one of the hardest things and that's speaking from experience.  I was a heroin addict for 5 years feeding a daily habit of $200-$300. Heroin is an opiate, same as codine. I tried going CT but that was near impossible. I'm not down playing the withdrawal symptoms of N+ but it no way compares with the withdrawal of heroin.  Yes symptoms are exactly the same - flu like symptoms, stomach cramps, restless legs, constantly going to the toilet, hot one minute cold the next, night sweats, insomnia, head congestion, restlessness, the list goes on. But with heroin withdrawal, times that by a factor of 5 compared to N+.  I got off heroin only because my family found syringes in the bin at home so I had to fess up.  As I said CT could not be done so I went to the doctor who placed me on the methadone program. Now I know many in this forum will say "STAY AWAY FROM THAT S***!  IT'S WORSE THAN THE HEROIN". But let me say that if your committed to quiting and you use it exactly what it suppose to be used for, it works.  I've been heroin free for 10 years and never looked back thanks to the methodone program. Now to N+. I'm an addictive person by nature. But aren't we all in one form or another?  I was addicted to N+ for 3 years, taking anywhere between 30-60 a day. Lucky for me, I had no Heath issues relating to taking so much of the pills but I got sick of chemist shopping, the embarrassment of refusal, the constant running around from chemist to chemist.  Back then, we could get N+ in 72 pills per packet until the government stop that and only allowed a max of 5 does per week in a packet.   Anyway I knew what CT was going to be like and I knew I couldn't  do it so seeked help from my local doctor.  She developed a plan for me to slowly taper off the N+ and also prescribed me Valium/diazepam also tapering these along with the N+. The Valium eases the withdrawal symptoms considerably but PLEASE do not substitute this drug for the other because Valium can also be very addictive.  It's only used for short term to ease your withdrawal symptoms.  Get yourself some Imodium or Gastro-Stop for the cramps and diarrhea.  Also there's a herbal medicine called Crampeze which helps with the restless legs and tired legs. Mickey, I'll be honest, it won't be easy for the first couple of weeks so prepare yourself. Take some time off work and have a friend there if possible for moral support. It's much easier then doing it alone.  Also. Please read Pottsy918's post as he has it pretty much spot on about expected time frames and symptoms. Good luck Mickey and all the best. If you need so moral support, pm me any time.
Please please please!!!!! Make it happen. Life is too short and people out there love you. A silly pill should't be a death sentence. I was addicted to N+ also for 9 years. Be strong and overcome this. Take up a hobby and keep busy. It will only get easier. Trust me. If you can't do it for yourself do it for your kids. Take care my friend!!!!!!
Hi Mickey,

Many thanks for sharing your experience, as it reminded me how sneaky those buggers of a pill can be. So pleased that you have made the connection between your usage of n plus and it's addictive qualities. It took a life saving operation, brought about my destructive use of n plus to make me finally realise I was an addict, I was mentally and physically addicted to n plus. I consider myself very blessed and fortunate to be nearly 2 and a half free of n plus or any other drug or alcohol for that matter. Like you I started with the odd n plus here and there for period pain. But in time, like have noted, I begun to rely on them, and this was because of the warm buzzy feeling I got from them. In time this buzzy warm feeling became elusive, and wherein the past 4 tablets would have delivered that feeling, I found myself having to increase the number of pills to get that high such that I was on 32 per day, and this caused me to have a perforated bowel, bleeding ulcers and peritonitis. I was a walking wreck and even in this state of degeneration did not make the connection between n plus and addiction... Why? Because I am addict. Today I go to NA and love it, love being free from those demons which I tried to give up on my own many times and failed. Today I know that one n plus will never be enough, as one will kick off the craving in me and before I know it I will be back in that place of living hell. You have identified your problem, well done, now please do something about it as you will never defeat n plus; it will destroy you. Help is out there, you just need to be open, honest and willing about your addiction and desire to stop using n plus. Wishing you all the best.
Two and a half years free of n plus it should read and I did this minus any aid of other drugs. Recovery is possible.
Hi Nphelp
your story sounds a bit like mine, but I'd already had my kids by the time I was at the stage where I aneamic, half starved (approx 40kg's) low potassium, low blood pressure, low everything and no periods.  Because of the Nurofen + i have had 3 small bowel re-sections, developed epilepsy and a broken leg. I know it sounds wierd that Ive blamed N+ for seizures and my leg but the seizures were caused by my body reacting to tramadol which I was taking to try and get high cos I had no N+ and didnt want to go through another bowel resection. I was given tramadol  but it started doing nasty things to my brain, causing violent seizures...horrible.  When I stopped taking the N+ after about 24 months my periods returned. My broken leg was caused by havig brittle bones caused by low oestrogen caused by having no periods caused by N+. So it all leads back to N+....its evil  Give it up as soon as you can and be a happy family
Can someone tell me if they think i have an addiction to N+.
I have to take some everyday...although i can manage just two but just for the hell of it, i will take up to 12.
I don't have any bad symptons or anything...however i have lost interest in sex completely but that could be due to my anti anxiety pills.
I have taken N+ for many many years...like more than 10...
Is what i am doing a problem........i notice you all are talking numbers in the range of 60 per day...
Or perhaps i am reaching for excuses to give myself a reason to keep doing it?

Tam

Tam
MARA2412..You are in a really old post..Go up to the top and hit the Orange Button that says POST A QUESTION..Then you will get some replys..OK! You will be starting your own POST..

-------------OLD POST-------------------------------------OLD POST------------------------------
hi..
Ive never actually been hooked on N+ but I just spent a week inside a hospital detox facility, trying to get off heroin, and they stuffed me up with the N+ pills instead.I'm no stranger to heroin withdrawal, it ends in four days, six maximum...however, its been ten days, and the damn chills aren't going away,i'm still weak as a sick dog. How long do the chills last? I wake up with them and they last....I'm living somewhere where its still summer and people are turning on their ac's and i don't even have a fan on and am shivering under the sheets. HELP.
Hi all im about to quit (tapering) N+ from today - was on 30 a day - x2 lots of 15 throughout the day.
Just to feel bloody normal....!!

I have tried to come off several times but to no avail - it just cannot carry on - i can't continue to take the time off work to get to various chemists - the money side of it is 'killing' me.

I am on Christmas break (New Zealand)  from work so figured its the best time to start tapering as i work a 9.5 hour day on my feet for 90% of that 9.5 hours.

I'm in desperate need of help.
My husband once had an addiction to tramadol about 18months ago. He had to stop taking them due to having two seizures one of witch we could have been in our car with him driving the other he had in work.
He stopped taking tramadol and went cold turkey, he didn't suffer any symptoms of cold turkey,  but I just thought he was doing really well.
I've recently found toilet roll rolled up in a bunch with 16 tablets of n+ inside. There where 5 of these toilet roll bundles all with 16 tablets of n+ inside.
I didn't know how to handle this again. I confronted him about this and he told me he had to go back on them because of the way we have been arguing. I feel so hurt I've tried to be there for so long I just don't know where to turn. He's now saying he has stopped taking n+ but yet again  is showing no symptoms of withdrawal.
please can someone help and give me some advice as I don't know where to turn next.

Hi there and welcome! This is an older thread that you are posting on. You will get much more support if you create your own post. Just go to the top of the page and hit the 'post a question' link. There is also a forum called 'living with an addict' that would be a great place to get support from others going through similar things. Please don't let your husband's behavior make you feel like any less of a wife. Unfortunately he is doing what addicts do best. Lying, making excuses, and manipulating. You are going to have to give him a big dose of tough love. Don't enable his use in any way. That may mean making some serious ultimatums and standing behind them. I know it's a very hard thing to do, but it may be necessary. He is going to do what he wants regardless of how it affects you or anyone else. It doesn't have anything to do with how much he loves you, or how good of a wife you are. Addicts can be very selfish and get so wrapped up in their addiction that they can't see anything else. Please get yourself educated about the disease and get some support. Don't let him drag you and your family down with him. Take care of yourself and please try to keep your head up.
This New Year marks the anniversary of me taking N+ for 10 years straight. not something I'm proud of I started taking 2 a day, the thing is I didn’t take it for anything in particular I took it knowing that the last time I had a head ache they made me feel good so it was purely a feel good factor and then it escalated and now I’m taking 32 a day and have been taking that amount for the last 2 years it's been increasing, the new year marks a change and I think I've done pretty well so far I've taken my dose down to 6 a day and with in a few weeks will bring that down to 4 and so on I started well before Xmas and it's a long road but I've been here before when I gave up smoking so I know I can do this, the trouble is N+ is like smoking to me I love taking them I enjoy the kick they give me it's sad and pathetic that I see it that way and very shameful but that's why I never wanted to give it up I'm giving up now as I feel generally unwell all that N+ is toxic for the Liver and Kidneys and if I don’t stop soon then Ill be pushing up daisies plus I’ve just recently got married and I don’t want my wife to be a widow, she does not know about my addiction…nobody does but you get to a point where you grow so tired of travelling the 4 corners of the globe telling lies to pharmacist’s just to get me a fix, nothing worse than when you go into a chemist and you hear whispers from the staff “oh look there’s than man again”

So new year and plenty of changes,  when I first dropped my dosage I felt it, really did feel like crap so while easing off N+ I've been taking a Vitamin called Wellman which really does help me no end it takes the edge off the N+ withdrawal but with a bit of wheel power I can beat this once and for all, what would make me happy is not having to be a customer in a chemist for the wrong reasons… no more lies…and a bit more money in my pocket, each box of 32 in the UK is £7 that is £49 a week, when I think how many pills I’ve sank in the 10 years I’m surprised I’m still here to tell the story I mean even if I was taking only 32 a week I would of put away 16640 tablets over 10 years, yet mine is over that figure and to think I’ve spent well over £4000 it’s ridiculous and has to stop, I take each day as it comes, I find the secrete is not to sit around being idle…do things and keep the mind occupied, I’ve recently gone back to the Gym as this help’s a lot I don’t feel like it at all but I have to burn this out of me and get the body back to normal again and hey I feel so much better in health thank god
Hi everyone, I last posted in 2012, September. I kept on taking these things but last September I stopped and now only take them occasionally, perhaps 5 or 6 once a fortnight. It's good, I don't crave them or think my evenings are torment without them. I just live a regular lifestyle and deal with real feelings as I get them. That's life and it's good. It's good to be truly yourself and not to be poisoning yourself, wasting money, lying to people, driving miles to find new chemists, living an illusion. I just hope I haven't done too much damage.

It took me a few days of getting it down in halves over a week and now I've been clear long enough to know I'm never going back. Good luck, everyone, there is easily enough good stuff about a sober life to make it worth trying!

Cali.
Hi I've been taking N+ for 3 years and know exactly what you mean when you say, you enjoy taking them - me too, I like the high and the extra confidence they give me. Now I've started to see that I'm an addict and must stop, which I've began today by only taking 6 N+ instead of 36.
Good luck to you
Counting down to 5 May 2014 when, god willing, I will be 3 years clean and sober; clean of that insidious pill - N+ - which nearly killed me Easter Bank Holiday Monday in 2011, resulting in a 10-day stint in hospital.

By the time N+ was ready to finish me off, kill me, I was on 32 per day, having started on 2 here and there 2 years beforehand.

My view, and it is my personal one, clean for me means ZERO N+ pills, not 1 or 2 here and there or every fortnight. If I have this attitude I leave the door open for that insidious pill to ensnare me when I least expect it.

Clean for me means complete abstinence from N+, and I say this because with hindsight and recovery helped by NA, I can see how those white evils got me.

I thought I had them “licked”; but what I didn’t realise is that I had unwittingly crossed that line where I wanted to stop, couldn't stop taking the white evils, but had to take them in order to feel normal, keep off the shakes, sweats, function, live, go to work etc. I was the walking dead, and I never ever want to feel like that again.

And thank god recovery is possible! And recovery for me means:

1) Accepting on a daily basis that I am addict, my life becomes unmanageable when I use N+ of which I am completely powerless. I apply the same thinking to alcohol.
2) Going to NA meetings, sharing and developing a spiritual connection with a higher power of my understanding.
3) Doing the NA steps.

Wish me luck that I get to 3 years, and in order to get there I will continue as I have being doing for nearly 3 years.

It is a good feeling to say today that by 5th May 2014, god willing, I hope to report that I will have had a 100% success rate – I will have not had had a single drug or drink – over the last 3 years!

Best of luck to all.
Woo hoo - 5th May 2014 and I am 3 years clean and sober today!!!! Thought I would share my good news with you - 3 years clean of those awful, insidious white pills otherwise known as N+!

And for me, staying clean has only been possible thanks believing in a higher power, who in my case happens to be God, going to Narcotics Anonymous, and ACCEPTING UNCONDITIONALLY THAT I AM AN ADDICT, and am powerless over drugs, as is N+!!

Wishing you all the best!
Thank u and GREAT willPower.
an you die from over use of nurofen?
My bf as been taking a packet a day ...goes searching for them. He told me he is addicted. Hes got bad stomach pains and doesnt eat much. Sleeps after work ..hardly talks to me .,in his own little world ...no sex for 6 months . I feel so lonely and depressed as his addiction is making me unhappy .
hi just read your post , feel very happy for you please can you tell me a plan for me I am so sad that I am addicted to nurofen plus and feel so hopeless as to stop frightens me so much .
great post  makes me feel more empowered and ready to start on the journey of becoming clean and nurofen plus free ,  why oh why when did i ever think that a small white tablet would rule me ,destroy me, depress me and so cunningly convince me to buy it because for a few tiny seconds it elated me , must be a little crazy i suppose to succumb to it in the first place , actually i find it quite frightening now that i did not heed the warnings . i need to be a warrior not a coward the more i write the more i realise, thank you for sparking off a response in me finally. good luck on your journey , you truly are a warrior bless you.
Hi everyone, I have been addicted to Nurofen Plus for over seven years and have been in and out of hospital because of this horrible drug.  I have suffered from a perforated ulcer, low blood count, low iron count and various other sicknesses.  I have tried to go cold turkey on a number of occasions to stop taking N+ but with no success I get to the end of week one and the withdrawls are just too much, having to sleep in a hot bath all night because sleeping in my perfectly good bed does not happen, having to lie to everyone and say I have stopped taking them when really they know the truth just by the way I act.
This time I am going to ween myself off them, I have the support of my fiance not so much my parents.  My parents do not know how to deal with this situation, my mother thinks I am just another attic, her exact words "its like heroin and your an attic" my father is a businessman and deals with it like a business deal.  They wonder why I dont talk to them.
I am so determined this time to get my life back on track, I have tried to get in contact with Dr Grieve but with no success yet, I am going to attend Narcotics Anonomys, when I talk about it its feels good.  I am so happy my fiance found this forum, I CAN DO IT!!!
are you still not taking the nurofen plus.
Thank you for that positive message - I am on the first day of going CT having been on about 20 NF+ per day.  feeling  bad now but want to make it to th other side xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dave -just read your post and would very much appreciate the tapering plan you have been on.  I am trying to get off Nurofen Plus - take between 12 to 14 a day and really need to stop!  I tried CT and got to Day 3, but the depressed feelings were horrible (not so much the physical symptoms) - I need to taper gradually to cope with this.  Hope you are getting on well! xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there, do you still want that tapering plan or am i too late?
Hey u still on here,I would like u to send me your tapering plan,I'm trying to stop taking n+,on day three but feel really bad,this cold turkey thing is not working.
I'm now three weeks off a 2-year habit of 24-48 N+ per day. For me, the cold turkey withdrawal (though hell) was the easy part. The hard part is staying clean through the following months of vague depression, lethargy, restlessness and low motivation. I don't know if or when this will ever end -- it scares me to think perhaps I've *always* been (and will always be) this way, and that the N+ habit was simply a means of self-medicating a preexisting condition.

My wake-up call consisted of bloody vomit one morning followed by the three weeks of debilitating gut pain thanks to the ibuprofen. Fortunately these symptoms have almost completely subsided.

I notice my days tend to be much better when I stay busy and productive. Exercise helps a lot too. Anything, really, to give me some sense of self-satisfaction. I'm hopeful but worried that I won't ever feel truly normal again.