Pain killer Addiction

I have a friend that is 10 years sober.  He is about to have surgery that will require some sort of pain killers for up to a month.  He is talking to his Dr about his problem but I want to help support him.  How do I know that he is handling this the way he should?  Is there anything I can do to support or help him through this time.  I don't have any experience with addiction.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well,just keep an eye out. 10 years is a long time so he is going to guard that,I think.
Be supportive.It's difficult to be in pain when there's addiction. The line gets blurry with pain/pleasure.  But,I have a feeling,as I said,that he'll guard this.  Just watch the pill count if you can. He's mostly going to be in pain,get relief and need company like everyone does.  You could also ask him what role he'd like you to play. Keeper of the pills? To dole out every four hours?  Not leave pills around? Only have enough availaable for one day? Just some ideas...I guess,really,I'd just ask him.
All the best~
Vicki
Helpful - 0
I just had surgery (and had just gotten off pain meds) and it helped me to have someone to give me my medicine AS NEEDED...not as I wanted.  It helped to have support and someone around who understood.  If nothing else, just be there for support and to help in anyway you can!! : )

You're a good friend to offer to help!
Helpful - 0
Will i ever get any good sleep again? i am on day 3 of trying to get off oxycodone/vicodin and the withdraws really suck but not as bad as not being able to sleep! i am desperate for a good nights sleep!!!!! any suggestions???
Helpful - 0
I'm same boast as you i know how you feel i'm craving one for now to be honest...but i keep reminding myself...not goin go anywhere just gon make up excuses and go back and forth, and im using suboxone...but not for long only for 2 weeks u still get craving it helps you feel super normal just gotta have a strong mental not to be tempted to do any vics/oxys.
Helpful - 0
take advil. I don't wanna say do any vailum but that will help..or muscle relaxer...easy to get addicted to so I woudn't advise it. unless you have self control literally. soma's i hate it but when i cant sleep it knocks me out...before
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community