Pain management in GTA

While being on these forums I read so much about pain management soctors. From what I read they help with pain, with changes when tolerance occurs, they help with tapering, etc. Do we have this??? My dr has never suggested it yet even though he will write small scripts for percocet it has never been enough to help with the pain. I am in the process of detoxing because I'm out and want off the roller coaster. I still have the original concern of the pain. How do I get a pain specialist without a referral, can a walk in dr give a referral?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
At one time I thought that if I could just get enough pills and opiates to not run out that life would be great. When I started actually  getting that amount is when life really became a nightmare .  You may find that once you get off of the rollercoaster and stay off for a while that you can control the pain using other methods aside from opiates.They are not a solution for long term pain control.
Helpful - 0
I agree completely and it would be a complete lie if I said I could resist one in front of me at this point. The reason I posted the question is because I feel like I got into this mess without medical support. I'm 34 and have been living with extreme pain and in a way self medicating, I get the scripts for 2 a day but they were never enough even in the beginning because the pain was that bad. I want to detox and reevaluate my situatiation but from all that I've read they are the experts, I have multiple ulcers and cannot take any anti inflammatory meds even OTC so I'm trying to make a future plan to work with someone educated. Maybe a dr that specializes can help to find alternatives. My dr always waves his hand at me and says so young so young.....I want someone to take me seriously and help in all ways. Make sense?
Helpful - 0
It becomes"one is to many and ten isn't enough." a very viscous cycle to say the least..
Helpful - 0
Drs are now scared to properly prescribe pain meds. The rules are so tough that the people that need them can't. It's so easy to abuse and/or get hooked.  Just following dr orders can still get you hooked.
Proper pain mgt should prescribe enoug to help with pain. For me the issue because a the reason you need them. Some injuries just don't warrant oxy or 120 percs a month
Overall DEA is killing drs
Helpful - 0
I have an addiction I won't lie, but I also have severe pain. I want someone to listen and try things. It doesn't have to be scripts. I can't afford physio and I need real help so that I don't go back. I want a dr educated in pain I'm just not sure we have them here. My dr is useless, best bed side manner ever but useless nonetheless
Helpful - 0
There are a lot of us on this site that deal with moderate to severe pain on a daily basis and do it without opiates. There are many alternative treatments for the pain. Many times if you quit the opiates, you have less pain than you had while on them. It takes a little while for this to occur, but it will if you give it time. Research opiate induced hyperalgesia. It's basically when during long term opiate use, the brain tricks your body into thinking it has more pain than it really does just so you take more pills. This is a real condition that affects almost everyone on long term opiate use. I can tell you that I have severe back pain. I need to have at least 2 surgeries, but have no insurance. I have 2 other areas of my back that are so damaged that they can't do surgery. I have been off of the opiates for 113 days. I still have pain, but it is a lot less than I thought it would be and I am no longer a slave to the pain meds. I would definitely check into alternate treatments for your pain, just try not to get stuck on telling yourself that you need opiates and nothing else will work. We as addicts are great at doing that. BTW, what kind of pain issues are you dealing with?
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your replies. To be honest we all know that opiates are helPful for the pain but ca do absolutely nothing for the cause. I'm just looking for a caring dr who will help me discover the best course of treatment, my hope would that it be non prescription narcotic or not. Maybe surgery would actually "fix" it. Some days I cannot even move but you're right in the fact that I will never know the true pain until I get off the dope that masks it. Im trying, it's really hard but I'm trying. Does anyone know  if such types of specialty dr's exist in the GTA and if you don't trust your dr how do you get to see one?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community