Aa
A
A
A
Close
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32.1k Members

Paxil vs. Zoloft

From a patient's perspective what are the meaningful differences between Zoloft and Paxil? I know that they are both SSRI inhibitors and have similar side-effects.  I guess Zoloft stays in your system longer than Paxil.  I have been on Zoloft before for several years off and on, usually between 50 and 100 mgs, but have stopped taking it for about 3 months.  I have not suffered from any withdrawal symptoms.  My anxiety symptoms and associated depression which led me to take Zoloft in the first place persist and have increased in intensity on some episodes.  Zoloft definitely helped me with these symptoms but never completely rid me of them.  I am now considering Paxil since it appears to be more directed to social anxiety disorder which is definitely my core problem.  I have concerns however because I've seen many postings discussing the difficulties of getting off Paxil.  I have not seen such discussions about getting off Zoloft.  Please tell me more about Paxil and whether it is more risky than Zoloft.  Thank you.
1 Responses
Hi there. I'm getting off Paxil right now that was prescribed for postpartem depression. It worked great1 But, I'm experiencing terrible withdrawl symptoms. I've even been reducing dosage more gradually than the doctor suggested, because I can hardly stand it. Sever dizziness, nausia, headaches (all everyday, all day) and occassional numbing in hands and feet. Definitely do your research before you make a decision to switch.
Have an Answer?
Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333897642
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.