Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Please help with 12 day sleep loss from oxycontin

I have been 12 days since cold turkey quiting of 160 mg daily of oxycontin,I need serious help in the sleep department I beleive i am throu the worst of the physical withdrawals but need sllep soon or will have another nervous breakdown please help i also have lost 14 lbs due to lack of appetite
Call your doctor and get a prescription sleep aid. There's Ambien and there are benzodiazapines like Xanax, Ativan, etc., that will put you right out.  Just be careful using them because they're also addictive.  My experience has been that doctors readily prescribe these drugs for insomnia.  They usually don't give you a hard time like they sometimes do with opiates.
Just read you other post.  Are you taking the prescribed amount of Ambien?  I've always had to triple the dose for it to work for me.  Anyway, the benzos are stronger and if you tell your doctor the Ambien isn't working, he would probably prescribe one of those.  The other thing that's bad about Ambien is that it wears off in a few hours and you're wide awake again.
ahhhhh!!!! just kidding, calm down, I know it can be SO tough at times, keep up the good work, you are doing so well, try the recipe, the l-tyrosine, zinc, 5htp, it actually helps with your mentality.  Other then that, you just have to wait it out.  We are all here for you
Thanks I am so glad i found this forum I never have used drugs in the past and really didnt use oxycontin for the high i used it to deal with pain from a two level fusion on my lumbar spine
the reason i choose to come off the oxycontin was my soon to be wife does not  like the drug and works in the medical feild my sex drive fell to nothing and i started withering away from activity, I choose to try the summer with no oxycontin and try other remedies for pain, with the help of you guys and girls i have been strong enough  so far my dr thinks i should stay on it for qualities of life issues,how long does the sleep dep last for
I have starting eating again but lack the sleep i have ambien 10mg is it safe to take double dose  thaanks
Like I said, I have to take 3 Ambien for them to work.  They'd be very hard to OD on and since they are short acting shouldn't give you much of a hangover.  I've never been able to take just one and have it work.  I know they're the latest sleep aid but to me they seem kinda weak.  I always wake up a few hours after taking them too.  I prefer something stronger like Ativan or Xanax or even Valium but with them you sometimes have a little grogginess in the morning although it goes away. What I do is keep taking em til they knock me out. Try doubling your dose. Ambien should work quickly.  If you're not asleep in an hour take another one.  One caveat:  Ambien causes amnesia so make sure you go to bed when you take them.  It's very embarrassing to find out you called 6 people the night before and don't remember a word you said.
I am also on Ambien and have to take at least two to go to sleep. You are right about it wearing off quickly, because last night something woke me up around 4 and I had to take another one.  I alternate the Ambien with either Restoril, which is stronger, or Sonata, which is also new and wears off very quickly but if effective if you can catch the wave and go to sleep.  My own personal experience is that restoril and dalmane are stronger and will help you sleep through the night, though the latter does leave a strange taste in your mouth.  With any of these, though, I have to take at least two to get to sleep, and have had chronic insomnia for 23 years.  Tough getting the docs to understand that and prescribe enough sleep pills to last a month.  Another alternative is Tylenol PM or any other over the counter sleep aid (you can save money by buying the generic brand of benadryl--same thing).  Although these take longer to work and will leave you somewhat groggy in the morning, I have almost always had success with them in a pinch.  Funny that the doctors prefer you to be on benzos than benadryl, because when I told my doc, he immediately raised his eyebrows and gave me an Rx for restoril even though I didn't ask--the Tylenol PM was working fine.  Anyway, take what you need to get to sleep, but as others have warned, be aware that the benzos are addicting.  It's a double-edged sword for someone like me who simply cannot sleep without medication.  I've tried, and gone 72 hours without sleeping before I finally had to take something.  So be careful, but for god's sake, get some sleep!  Good luck!
Just checking in to see how your doing?  Still on the Bupernex? Is it still keeping the WD's away? Keep me posted oin how your doing.

I went in today for a Cryoablation procedure (where they freeze the damaged nerves to kill some of my pain.)  The procedure sucks to say the least but it works.  I'm sore as hell from the entry site and will be for week or so.  The doctor asked if I wanted pain meds (narcs) and I said no.  Asked if wanted Ultram, said no. Walked out a "free" man.  I'm still on my tapper down which is going okay so far and said "NO don't want any more"  today for the first time!  Think I'm making progress, Schlub!

Thanks for your help.  Hope your doing well.   Nod

I must take issue with some of the advice given above.

This is why I have often said on this site
tori anne call
tori anne call
Any comment acceped. JustMY experiece.(again sp)v
LMH
LMH