Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members
Avatar universal

Prescription Fraud Advice

I write this with hope of much needed advice. I thank in advance anyone that reads this and takes the time to lend some help. This is a summary of my situation:

I struggle with dependancy of the prescription medication Adderall, In recent months i let my addiction get the best of me and began making and writing my own scripts. Some we're filled, others we're recognized as bogus and turned down. Enevitably, it caught up with me. The doctor was informed and was sent the phony scripts via fax and the Attorney General was informed. A couple weeks back i began getting phone calls and even a card left on my front door from an agent needing to talk to me, being stupid i igored the messages. Today i was followed by this agent and was confronted in the lot of a local grocery store. He told me that he has a file of evidence linking me to the passing of phony scripts in the area, he went on to say that all the pharmacies and my insurance has ID'ed me in this illegal act. I denied any knowledge of this at the time despite the overwhelming evidence. He asked me if i had a moment to go to the station and i informed him i was on my way to work, he accepted that and made it very clear that on the next business ri am meeting with him Tuesday) he gave me his card and sent me on my way.

At this point im horribly scared and confused on what to do. I contemplated denying the charges all the way but the amount of evidence against me is substantial, but im lost as to why i wasnt arrested on the spot? I'm lost as to what to do or what approach to take. PLEASE help, i am beyond scared =-/
16 Responses
Avatar universal
Thanks to everyone for the response. I am located in Penn. and the biggest issue with the advice you gave is that i am a young kid that doesnt have ANY money to invest in a defense attorney. I am so scared because i know how bad this could be. I just don't understand why in the love of Pete they would just let me go free for an extended weekend and say to come back Tuesday if they definitively had me nailed. Wouldnt one think that perhaps they dont have quite enough to arrest me if thats the case? I dont know what approach to take because either could backfire so very easily. Also, when i go Tuesday, in everyones opinion, will they arrest me then or will i be on my way again and be left awaiting a court date? It's so tough to read this situation because at this point nothing seems to be for sure. Thank you again for the response guys, i really do appreciate it, the only thing im lost on is how they let me go free when they had me right there. Most of the articles/research i did, the person trying to pass the script was arrested immediatly after trying to or filling the prescription so in a way my mind wants to think that maybe if i just stop now this will be ok, but that may just be the anxiety taking over. I dont have any offenses related to anything like this so i suppose that will work to my advantage. If anyone has any more insite on what the authorities current position is and why this was left go temporarily, it would be again, much appreciated. Take Care until next time guys.
172023 tn?1334675884
How young of "a kid" are you?  If you are underage, I'd say you need to come clean to your parents and see if they'll help you with this mess.

If you do get arrested, ask for a lawyer right away before saying anything at all.  The lawyer will know how to plea bargain as mslkpage suggested.  

175363 tn?1200949921
A person commits what is commonly called prescription fraud if they obtain possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception, or theft.

It also is a crime to attempt to obtain a controlled substance by fraud or deceit, etc. The crime of attempt is considered complete when you knowingly present an altered prescription to the pharmacist. It is not necessary that the pharmacy actually provide the medication in order for you to be convicted of attempt. These laws do very from state to state. You should do a google. It may also depend on the drug.
The state must prove that you acted knowingly or intentionally when you tendered the prescription. This can be established by circumstantial evidence, meaning by considering the circumstances surrounding your conduct.
The penalties for attempted prescription fraud are somewhat less than for the completed crime, but both are felonies that can result in prison sentences. Your best bet is to seek out an experienced drug defense lawyer in your area who can advise you as to the likelihood that the state will be able to prove you had the intent to commit the crime.
I personally feel you should cooperate, they are alreadt being easy on you and may tire of it quickly. U may want to post to another poster on here named attorney, he/she may be able to better assist you.
Good Luck,

Avatar universal
There is cardinal rule in the mafia: never admit anything to the police without speaking to an attorney first. NEVER! Hey if these people who deal with the police daily follow this, then you who have zero dealing with the police should talk to an attorney before admitting anything. I am preplexed as to why you are not in JAIL already. In my state they would have come busting in and BOOM. If you search the news, about 6 months ago a guy in a wheelchair in Fl. did  the same thing you did and received 25 years in jail. I would think about that: 25 years in jail.
Avatar universal
I just spoke with someone who knows the law (in this State. She said it could be the Doc. you have been seeing did not keep very good records therefore the police do not have a hard enough case unless you confess. She also said: do not deny or admit. If they prove a case aganst you they can also charge you with lying to a police officer. Stand silent and bring an attorney with you to speak for you. Or demand an attorny before you agree to speak. I am telling  you once you are in the police station you will want to confess because they will seem trusting. You go that road at your own harm.
Avatar universal
Oh hell, what the hell state are you in?
Avatar universal
Dont you think it would be best to just throw yourself at the mercy of the court?
I would think if you came clean with the judge(not the police) and tell him that you are an addict he might go easier on you.

I do agree with you on not talking with the police.They dont care one way or another.They have a job to do and I dont think that to many cops are going to go out of thier way to help someone out,besides how could they help in this case.
Avatar universal
You didnt tell me how is the taper going?
93654 tn?1247502934
You can't throw yourself to the mercy of the Court until a case has been filed with said Court.

Find a good criminal defense attorney in your area, and tell them you're willing to make a plea bargain as long as it includes treatment.
Avatar universal
Yes the police have a job to do. They do their job and go home at night and eat dinner and play with the kids and kiss the wiffe/husband and go to sleep; you, as should be, do not add into any of this. (Do not FLAME me, I know that there is the odd police person out who takes pity and goes the extra mile...but I have delt with the police all over the world and all over the world they are the same: THEY ARE THE POLICE). The judge? Yes if it goes that far. My point is to try and not drive there at all. Staying silent and allowing an attorney to speak for you just means you are not admitting guilt but you are, through an attorney, willing to listen and entertain any/all deals or pleas.
By the way F: have a delightful new year. (pain free and all that).
Avatar universal
i am in the same situation you are in at this moment... believe me it is not that easy. I am looking at 30 days in jail and thats not all. i am looking at loosing my house loosing my medical and loosing my kids because i have no one to looking after. I am screwed but i will make it through! i don't want to scare you but believe its not easy. i am not sure what state you are in but you need to be carefully.

I have been fighting over a year... and it is still getting me no where. believe me its a rough road a head. i am not sure if you believe in God but keep your faith... you will do fine. I wish i could give you my info so I can help you through this one on one but you can do this here.

Just take what is coming and move on. with drawl is not easy but you will get through it. start getting off them now. that way you don't have to worry about it while you are in jail.. thats if you go there. some times you just get probation and you are good to go... I hope that is what you get...

Good luck on it and I hope you make it through.

Avatar universal
Yes...if you are arrested there will be a time during arraignment where they will instruct you on how to fill out a form to request a public defender.  After completing the form and submitting it one will be assigned to you, you will have an appointment set to discuss the case with him or her, and then will have a first appearance with the court scheduled.  The attorney will look at the case, discuss with the DA what they are pushing for, decide if it is worth fighting (trial) or pleaing out and negotiate a "best offer" with the DA.  A private attorney would be better but once the legal train is on the track it is vital to get representation.  The details of the process vary state by state but this is the general format.
Have an Answer?
Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333897642
City of Dominatrix, MN
Avatar universal
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.