I am a recovering addict and have adhd, therefore cannot take the 'upper'meds for my condition. What else can I take?
for adhd? why can't you take upper meds? ritolin or adderal is what is usally given. i am not sure what else is available
I have two sons with ADHD.  The 'upper meds'  'boots' is talking about are the ones the are in the amphetamine class...extremely addictive, if abused.  Ritilan, Adderal, Focalin, Daytrana are a few more in that class.  He/she also added that they are an recovering addict, so I assume that they have abused, or are afraid that they will abuse these meds.  Boots:  I know of one that isn't an 'upper'.  It's called 'Concerta'.  My son was on it for a short time, but they bothered his stomach alot, so he had to stop.  Perhaps you could try this one.  Plus, I'm pretty certain there are other meds out there that aren't in the amphetamine class.  Do a google search for ADHD & meds and see what you come up with.  Best of luck!
There are some natural meds out there now for ADH that are not habit forming...your doc is the best one to help you with this

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community