1) Exhaustion- Allowing oneself to become overly tired, usually associated with work addictions an excuse for not facing frustrations.
2) Dishonesty- begins with a pattern of little lies; escalated to self delusion and making excuses for not doing what’s called for.
3) Impatience- I want what I want NOW. Others aren’t doing what I think they should or living the way I know is right.
4) Argumentative- No point is too small or insignificant not to be debated to the point of anger and submission.
5) Depression-All unreasonable, unaccountable despair should be exposed and discussed, not repressed: what is the “Exact Nature” of those feelings.
6) Frustration- Controlled anger / resentment when things don’t go according to our plans. A lack of acceptance. See #3
7) Self- Pity- Feeling victimized, put upon, used , unappreciated: convinced we are being singled out for bad luck.
8) Cockiness – Got it made. Know all there is to know. Can go anywhere , including frequent visits just to hang out at places that allow drinking or drug use.
9) Complacency – Like #8 no longer see’s the value of a daily program, contact with other alcoholics\ addicts, feels healthy, on top of the world, things are going well. Heck may even be cured !!
10) Expecting too much of others – Why can’t they read my mind? I’ve changed, whats holding them up ? If they just do what I know is best for them? Leads to feeling misunderstood, unappreciated. See #6
11) Letting up on disciplines – Allowing established habits of recovery slip out of our routines, allowing recovery to get boring and no longer stimulating for growth. Why bother?
12) Wanting too much – Setting unrealistic goals: not providing for short term successes: placing too much value on material success, not enough on value of spiritual growth.
13) Forgetting Gratitude – Because of several listed above, may lose sight of abundant blessings in our life today.
14) “It can’t happen to me” Feeling immune; forgetting what we know about the addiction and it’s progressive nature.
15) Omnipotence – A combination of several attitudes listed above ; leads to ignoring danger signs. Disregarding warnings and advice from fellow members.