Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Relapse is not just a event, it's a process.

Relapse Symptoms

1) Exhaustion- Allowing oneself to become overly tired, usually associated with work addictions an excuse for not facing frustrations.

2) Dishonesty- begins with a pattern of little lies; escalated to self delusion and making excuses for not doing what’s called for.

3) Impatience- I want what I want NOW. Others aren’t doing what I think they should or living the way I know is right.

4) Argumentative- No point is too small or insignificant not to be debated to the point of anger and submission.

5) Depression-All unreasonable, unaccountable despair should be exposed and discussed, not repressed: what is the “Exact Nature” of those feelings.

6) Frustration- Controlled anger / resentment when things don’t go according to our plans. A lack of acceptance. See #3

7) Self- Pity- Feeling victimized, put upon, used , unappreciated: convinced we are being singled out for bad luck.

8) Cockiness – Got it made. Know all there is to know. Can go anywhere , including frequent visits just to hang out at places that allow drinking or drug use.

9) Complacency – Like #8 no longer see’s the value of a daily program, contact with other alcoholics\ addicts, feels healthy, on top of the world, things are going well. Heck may even be cured !!

10) Expecting too much of others – Why can’t they read my mind? I’ve changed, whats holding them up ? If they just do what I know is best for them? Leads to feeling misunderstood, unappreciated. See #6

11) Letting up on disciplines – Allowing established habits of recovery slip out of our routines, allowing recovery to get boring and no longer stimulating for growth. Why bother?

12) Wanting too much – Setting unrealistic goals: not providing for short term successes: placing too much value on material success, not enough on value of spiritual growth.

13) Forgetting Gratitude – Because of several listed above, may lose sight of abundant blessings in our life today.

14) “It can’t happen to me” Feeling immune; forgetting what we know about the addiction and it’s progressive nature.

15) Omnipotence – A combination of several attitudes listed above ; leads to ignoring danger signs. Disregarding warnings and advice from fellow members.
COMMUNITY LEADER
This is a very good thread Sophie, thanks for sharing this~~
would this be a good one to add to the health pages??
COMMUNITY LEADER
I believe it would be.  
Thnks Sophie.... I agree put this n the health pages.
Thanks for sharing.  Good post.
COMMUNITY LEADER
bump
Great post if you look for the sighs you can often nip it in the bud if you see yourself falling into a pattern often a spouse is a good indicator also those around us often see the change first thanks for sharing Sophie......Gnarly
Great, great post...hope it is at the health pages soon !
Wow this really hit home, especially (1)(2)(3)(5) and (13).  I need to continue to read this on a daily basis to remind myself
Sophie will continue to help those who come after her.. lesa