Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

So Disappointed in myself

I don"t even know where to begin. I have been battling the Lortab addiction for 15 years. I have been on and off this rollercoaster ride for years. I had 3 months clean a short time ago and stuggled thru all the withdrawls and I have Lupus went for my regular checkup and boom I started up again. The day I went in my dr. office I knew better than to take the script because I knew I would fill it but the drug addict in me was on the ride before I even hit the pharmacy!!!! I went through 30 Lotab 10 with 5 refills in 1 1/2 months. Of course that is supposed to last me 6 months but I took as many as I could as fast as I could and refilled them on the day they could be refilled. I can still remember feeling great when I went in to see the Dr. I know what I am in for, I have been through this many times before but this seems worse because Christmas is coming up and I am NOT JOLLY at all. I am a very active 50 year old women with a nice job, I have this Monday And Tuesday off but I have to work the rest of the week. I have a family who does not know and has never known, whenever I go through withdrawl I blame it on the Lupus. I think this withdrawl is going to be much harder because I have some family problems of my own. My husband has bladder cancer and has to go through BCG treatments starting Fruday. His cancer has been caught early and he has no pain with his treatment so no chance of any pain pills for him, he is not an addict like myself. I really need support because I am already in withdrawl, my last Lortab was yesterday at 800 in the morning. I like many of you here am very active in my son's school, worship leader in my church, nice job but the bottom line is I love the way the opiates make me feel. Although this last relapse to be honest except for the first high in the morning was not that great, I SO love the Lortab with my tea in the morning it gave me such energy. Please someone help me through this I feel so alone and dissapointed in myself. Last night I literally sobbed over the loss of my pills, as you all know they are my best friend. I am so irritatable and go from being hot to cold in a skinny minute. I have NOENERGY which is always the hardest thing for me to go through. Please send me some support, I know in a few days I will be over the shakes etc. but I feel so alone. So much is the mental part in knowing I have no pills so I spiral down because I am lost without them. I MISS THEM!!!!! I so want to make it through this I am so tired of it all I just want to crawl into bed because my legs are restless which I do have the restless legs by hylands. Any help would be appreciated I need some help from other struggling addicts.

Magnolia
Are you ready to quit for good or are you just wanting sympathy till you can get a refill?  You already know this is no way to live.  I don't mean to sound harsh I just want to know where your head is.  That feel good feeling from the pills is a false feel good.  They can eventually ruin your life.
do not beat yourself up.we didnt make these pills they are given to us.i have primary M.S. and tons of rebuilds i struggle with the same thing every day.you have just try to stay strong and understand what you are.i am on day 2 of cold turkey i wish it would just go away for you but it wont you have to keep fighting no one else can do it but you.
I would not post if I was looking for sympathy for a refill. Yes I know this is no way to live that is why I am reaching out for help. My head is to get clean and I was looking for support through the withdrawls, NOT SYMPATHY!!!! Of course I know it is a false feel good but I have a problem with opiates and was looking for maybe somone like me to help me through, they are ruining my life but your comment certainly does not make me feel good about this community . I don't know where you are in your recovery but your comment is not a positive one

Magnolia
I think the time has come to actually test out the words of the songs that you sing in church...opiate addiction will require a level of faith in yourself and the ability to reclaim your life.  It has been for me a true spriitual reawakening and caused me to examine my religious practices inside and outside church.

It will be hard to work from two mental perspectives, one being the active addict and the other being the person wanting to quit....whichever one you feed, will win.  No one has the short answer to addiction, but everyone agrees it is a process that requires hard work, patience, and self-love....I wish you the best.
Thank you for your response. I have had Lupus for years and to be honest I don't need the Lortab for my Lupus. I use it as a crutch because I have a problem.  I am looking for someone who may be like me to help each other stay clean. I want this so much I have been clean before and I finally felt good but went back to the insanity of the drug. What do you do for the withdrawls, what helps you? Have you been clean before? I so want this for myself but I do good and then relapse. Thank You so much for your comment to me I really need some strong support right now!!!!
I'm sorry Magnolia I truly wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I saw in your post where you talked about the refill and I just wanted to make sure you weren't just waiting on the refill.  I'm glad that's not the case.  I am like you and can relate to you that's why your post hit me.  I see some posts and just want so badly to stop people from refilling from Dr.  
I agree completely with what you said about the words in the songs. I struggle so much with that but I am so broken down right now as I write this. I so believe God can heal me but I am so shaky right now that nothing really makes sense today I am crying as I write this but I know I must pull myself together and I am the only one who can. I don't know if you understand this but today I feel alone and broken. How Long have you been pillfree and how did you do it?

Magnolia

Hi mag!! I know u can di this. Right now your emotions are boiling to the surface cause they have been numb for so long. Go with it for a bit and let it out! Then when u get a good cry you can dust yourself off and move forward.  Your in for a bumpy ride for a few days but as a wise person on here told me (wolfmedicine) distraction, distraction! That saying will become your moto for the next little bit. Call a friend and talk about anything but your wd's   That helped pass sine time for me. Sit outside if the weather permits. Take a short walk or until your able.. A short drive. Play music, read your bible. Anything to keep your mind busy. This too shall pass I promise! U can do it. Just think positive and in times when u can't. Fake it till u can!! You have to reach down deep and just take it as it comes. Before u know it you'll be better u just have to keep in mind u were a normal functioning person before this and you'll be amazed how u actually can be again without the pills. I'm clean from Xanax for 25 days and opiates for 12 days. You know what? Music is better, prayer is better, food tastes better, the leaves on the trees are crisper and more beautiful  and my children's laughter is so much sweeter!!  Just look to the future my friend. The pills LIE to us they tell us they give us energy, make us happier, more social, a better us. THEY DONT!!! When your head clears you will see that, just remember... Feeling crappy for a few days or weeks is a blip on the radar of life. Don't waste one more second on them. You can absolutly come out feeling better once the poision is out of your body and the REAL you shines through!! Good luck!
Thank you for responding. As I read what you wrote to me the tears are pouring down my face. I know the pills have lied to me but my emotions are so raw right now. You are the first person I feel has given me real encouragement on this board. I need someone to help me place all these emotions right now and you did and I thank you for that. I am off for 2 days thenI have to work. I am worried about the withdrawls and working but I quess I should just get through today first. I am usually showered and dressed by now but absolutely no energy, but your post really helped me. Congradulations on your clean time, you are a success !!!! How long did it take for you to feel good I know everyone is different but I am curious!!!!  Did your family know? Mine does not, Thank you again so much after the tears stop I am going to take a hot shower and try and eat something, will try to fake it till I make it, thanks SO MUCH!!!!                   Magnolia
Have you tried to go to any NA meetings? If you have been struggling with this for so long, the first step is admitting we have a problem. You have done that and now its time for action. Are you willing to go any lengths for your sobriety? I would look up some AA or NA meetings. In the meantime, there is a drug called suboxone that is similar to methadone in a way to get you off your opiate addiction. Ideally you would go on the suboxone and with the help of your doctor, you would wean off it within a year, although that depends on treatment plan with your MD. You may ask your primary for a referral or go ahead and look up chemical dependency doctors. the suboxone has helped my husband get off the hydros, now they have to wean him from suboxone. Good luck and feel free to message back....from recovered alcoholic 7 years sober
You are so welcome and I'm glad I helped. On day 3 I could somewhat face the world in small doses. On day 6 I had to go to my child's thanksgiving play and party. I was so woried that someone would notice something was "off" with me but they didn't. I ended up having a wonderful time and it was a great distraction.  Take some motrin and a b complex vitamin WITH food and see if that helps with the low energy. It helped me some but really it's a waiting game.  I am a stay at home mom so I didn't see much of the real world at first but to be honest I think it would have helped speed things along if I had. Don't give up!! It will pass. I understand the chronic illness thing. My mom has fibromialgia (sp?)   She is 72 and has to take lortab to function. It's sad really cause i know she would be much  more active if she wasn't on them. My dad is 74 and won't even take a asprin.  On thanksgiving he played basketball with my boys!! See rhe difference? When or if y have grandchildren they will LOVE an active grandparent to spend time with. Your kids will love it too.  Trust me on that one.  Your still so young and u don't want to be house bound in 20 years cause those pills have sucked the life and energy and motivation right out of u. That's what I believe happened to my mom. I love her so much no matter what but I wish she was my mom u had even 5 years ago. We went shopping and gambling and to rhe beach. Now just getting her to go to walmart is a chore. She's a young spirit and so so funny. I just hate it for her.  Don't let it get like that for u.  That's one the reasons I decided to run from them.  I'm only 38 but I could easliy see this nightmare stretching on forever if I let it!! No thank you.  I want to he happy and energetic without being chained to a pill bottle, don't u? Now let's get the show on the road!!    
Oh and yes my family knows. I told every single person except my father. He's very sweet but I knew it would worry him too much. I've hurt enough people so I let that 1 go. My family was not shocked at all. Come to find out I thought I was hiding it but they knew.  Chances are so does my dad. They notice how often u take your "medicine" they notice how grouchy u are when it's running out. Believe me. They already know. Just bite the bullet and tell someone u know loves u no matter what. I bet u have many to chose from. They can be a great help. I told my sisters and when I'd call sick and whinnying they would baby me for about 2 min then say "come on u can do this. Now suck it up and meet me here or there" sometimes I did sometimes I couldn't but either way it gave me  that certain kick in the rear to get over myself. Ya know?