Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

THIS IS NO JOKE: If you're on Subutex, Methadone or Suboxone, GET OFF NOW!!!!!!!!

how come no doctors really know what the long term side effects and the many actual DAMAGEs to the body subutex does?? I stayed on it for about 10 years and it was the most HORRIFIC detox that I almost died. I encourage EVERYONE to (if you're already on it)-GET OFF OF IT, or you're just gonna make the detox harder and harder with time...and if you're thinking about getting PUT on it, THINK AGAIN!!!!! I would LOVE to go around EDUCATING DOCTORS about how HORRIBLE this medication is. I am about to face the dentist in an hour and am MORTIFIED to do so because I have METH-MOUTH. (funny thing is, I NEVER DID METH!!). It's ALL FROM SUBUTEX and how it just sits in your bones and builds up over time and seems to EAT away your bone marrow and rapes your body of calcium. And the refuse of medication that just sits rotting your bones makes a later "appearance" in the show whenever it is you decide to detox. That's when it comes PURGING out of every single pore of your body as well as through your TEETH!! (just like the bones in your body). It has been FOUR MONTHS and my body STILL aches UNIMAGINABLY, I am in a constant state of Incredibly INTENSE anxiety, frustration and impatience. I don't wanna EVER get out of bed and face the world, even though I Must...Feels like groundhog day because it never changes. I wake up everyday in intense agony. And all over my body my skin has broken out in "PLAGUE-like" Acne-some places CYSTIC. (my body is detoxifying from the outside in) I don't WANNA leave my house because I feel like a monster. like I'm CURSED. This medication is THE DEVIL. It NEVER WANTS U OFF OF IT, it grabs ahold of your SOUL and never EVER lets go. (until you get FORCED to(the law/jail)or you just get so SICK of taking a godamm PILL every morning just to feel like the rest of the human race does when they wake up. It is hell on Earth, and you are absolutely INSANE if you stay on this med after reading this!!! THIS IS NO JOKE!!!! Email me if you want me to GO ON even!! ***@****
The reason they know little about the long term effects of buprenorphine is, there have never been long term studies done on it. The longest studies ever conducted where 6 months. We have been guinea pigs for the FDA and Pharms. Doctors take an 8 hr class, give a bunch of cash($10,000) here, and they can prescribe subs on any schedule they want. You must have gotten on subs as soon as they where made available in the U.S. They had less info then, and they still have very little info, no studies, no proof of effectiveness or side effects. I have a lot of anger and resentment toward the field of medicine as well, but I can't control what other people do. I realized that I was part of the problem, as long as I still used methadone and subs. Now, I try to be part of the solution and educate people about these drugs. i will help in any way I can.

So, are you getting off subs, detoxing now, or what? With a long, slow taper, you can minimize the symptoms of detox and good nutrients can help speed up the healing. Is there anything we can do to help or any info you are looking for?
Hi I totally agree with you & weaver..I was on the hydo/oxys only to go up to a 12 year Methadone ride..They wanted me to do the Subs and I said no way..I did for 4 days and I could not take them also it made my detox off of 3 drugs now 4..The things you are describing above is just a few stages I went through..I am no spring chic so it took many, many months of many different stages..One from High Anxiety (Benzo too) to a very, very weak stage not even saying anything about all the other physical & mental issues.I always say on here because of my experience from going c/t from all 3, that it is better to do a slow and easy taper from the drug you are on.And Not play the merry-go-round..BUT on the other hand I have also read lots of success stories from people using these Subs and say they where a life saver..So I guess in the Long Run there is no easy way out but for some it was a bit less intense..What ever works for who ever is working it.OK Keep up the Good Work and now you can live free from the beast of any addicting Drug!!
Bless
By the way, subs saved my life, hands down, but I had to go against my doctors recommendations. I was told I had to take them for 2 years for them to work. I asked for the research or to review the case files that proved his theory, he looked at me like I was a smart donkey. He had no proof or reasoning behind his subscribing methods. Two years at $200 a month sounds better than 30 days for $200. Can't explain it any other way. My point is, all drugs can be used to help or make things worse. i can even say that about methadone now, which I could not when I first detoxed. Just wanted to clarify that I am angry at the system, not the drug.
I thank you for posting this. I'll remain silent on this except to say: It can cause liver damage, is wildly variant in it's fat solubility from person to person (more so than Methadone.) I was depressed and had a constant headache on Subutex. I experienced memory loss as well. Weaver is absolutely right about the lack of long term studies. Typical FDA of today. (There's a lot of money at stake and is touted as a 'cure' - or even as being 'clean'. I've seen that here on the forum.)
Methadone also stores in fat and bone; I've just discovered that I've lost almost an inch off my frame during my time on M. Methadone also attacks the pancreas and thyroid.

While these drugs are definitely indicated as harm reduction measure in some cases. I do feel that people should be educated and have their eyes open going in. So, again, thank you.

Suboxone and Methadone are the only opiates I'm aware of that the state (in the US) has sanctioned as being ok to be addicted to for no other reason than that one is already addicted to opiates. As far as I can tell, a good case could be made for standardizing on a "better" state-sanctioned opiate. Nevertheless, those are the two that are available if you're going to do replacement therapy. It surprises me that many people, both doctors and addicts, seem to willfully or ignorantly ignore the fact that these two drugs are both just a form of opiate, no "better" or "worse" inherently than heroin or opium.
Yeah, I'd like back what my friend above says with one proviso. Methadone and Suboxone are much harder to come off than non-synthetic opiates.