Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Taking Suboxone while pregnant

I have been taking suboxone for 3 years now and I just found out I was pregnant with my second child. I am just really worried what Suboxone can do to my unborn child. I know the first trimester is the riskiest and I am extremely stressed out. I have began lowering my dose because i do not want my child to go though withdrawal when it is born.  On the other side of things I am worried I might have a miscarriage trying to get off of Suboxone. Does anyone have any suggestions. Has anyone been through this? Are there any doctors that can offer some much needed advice? Please help. I am scared & stressed out. Thanks.
You should really talk to your doctor, but they might be able to switch you to a drug called Subutex, which has the same active ingredients as Suboxone, but without the Naloxone, which can be harmful during pregnancy.  It is generally not suggested that people on Suboxone switch to any other medication (i.e., Methadone, etc), because it can cause withdrawals, which increases the chance of miscarriage.

The best thing would be to discuss this with you doctor as soon as possible, so he/she can give you an informed decision, based on your situation.

Good luck!
I have been taking Suboxone for 3yrs and I am pregnant w/ my 2ND child while on suboxone. I also know of another girl who has had 2 babies while taking suboxone. My 1st child I had while taking suboxone is ABSOLUTELY perfect. He will be 2 in Dec. He weighed 7lbs. and 3 oz @ birth. When I had him, the hospital knew I was on this medication and monitored him just to make sure he was ok and he never showed any signs of WDs. He is on the level he should be as far as talking and his mental development. He's actually very smart. My doc told me it was best NOT to stop the suboxone while you are pregnant. It was better to continue instead of stopping. Of course, this medicine hasn't been out but for several years so there hasn't been much research done on taking it while pregnant, but I am currently 34 wks w/ a lil girl and u/s show she is growing and she's measuring a little above average. 57th percentile! So, as far as my experience goes w/ this...its better than being on the other "stuff" and my babies so far are perfectly healthy! GOOD LUCK!!
My family has the real me!!! Suboxone does not change who I am in any way shape or form. It keeps me safe from relapse. I am taking suboxone b/c I was addicted to pain pills & heroin once upon a time. I also do not think it is safe to take sleeping aids and xanax while pregnant. Suboxone may be a "drug" but it is sure better than relapsing & is also monitored by a doctor. Sure, I would would love to stop taking it, but I dont know if that would be safe for me or my baby. What you are suggesting is def not for me. If I go into w/d I could lose my baby and then it would never "see the real me" as you say. Thanks for trying though.
I would just talk to your doctor about how much is safe to be taking or if you could switch to a different med. I understand that you can't just stop, my b/f has been clean thanks to suboxone for over a year now because of heroin and oxy addiction, if it wasn't for sub who knows where he would be right now. Just make sure you DO disscuss this with your doc because there are meds that are OK for a pregnant women to take to prevent w/d.
good luck and have a healthy pregnancy
Oh wow you're lucky. Suboxone changed me big time. I can't even begin a list of ways because I don't feel like wriring for hours. If you're happy on soboxone then by all means stay on it. You should switch to subutex (while pregnant) which is straight buprenorphine, it doesn't have the naloxone in it. Talk to the doctor, Once you have the baby you should really get serious about your recovery, life is short. Drug use is a symptom of the disease. Are you currently in a 12 step program or regularly seeing a therapist. Do you have a support group. Anyway good luck to you and your unborn child.
First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!!! Secondly, I have given birth to 2 babies while on suboxone.  With the first pregnancy, I was told to wean off of the Sub- bad idea. I ended up going back on pain pills (yes, while pregnant), but THANK GOD I soon found an awesome doctor who agreed to put me back on the Sub. for the remainder of the pregnancy.  I was able to get by on only 1 mg. of Sub. a day during that pregnancy.  I gave birth to a full-term, VERY healthy baby! He was not "addicted", had no withdrawals, and is extremely intelligent and advanced for his age.  I decided to stay on Suboxone after that pregnancy (who knows- maybe for the rest of my life after all I've been through with the pain pills).  I became pregnant again 2 yrs. later, but was on 6 mgs. of Suboxone at that time.  I was (and still am) with the same awesome doctor that monitored me through the 2nd half of my last pregnancy- so I knew he would keep me on the Sub. again (and he did actually switch me to Subutex while pregnant- although he said it really wasn't neccessary to change).  We talked about tapering down to a lower dose by delivery, but later decided against that decision.  So, I gave birth to my 2nd child on Sub.- once again, healthy, no withdrawals, and exceeding all of his milestones at now 9 months old.  Oh, and I also breastfed both of my children with no problems at all either (since Sub. is dissolved under the tongue, obviously receiving any of the medication orally wouldn't be effective anyway)- and with both of them I had to abrubtly stop nursing at a certain point for 2 different reasons (the only reason I added that bit of information is to let you know that they did not go into any withdrawals from nursing either).  

Ultimately, it's your choice to make, but I feel I made the right decision by staying on the Suboxone and it had no ill effects on my children at all.  Just make sure you are upfront and honest with all of your doctors, and make sure the hospital knows upon delivery as well (in case of a C-section- pain control would be an issue).  

Best wishes to you and GOOD LUCK!
I have been on suboxone for over 5 years now and am currently taking 8 mg a day. I weaned myself to 1mg a day 3 yrs ago when I got pregnantwith my son and he came out healthy and is still healthy. I just found out I am pregnant and feel like at this point I don't know if I am going to be able to wean myself again. Will it effect the epiderrul? I do relate to what she said above about wanting to be yourself again because i def am not myself on suboxone. I studder, cant think at times, find myself rambeling on with people, have trouble breathing and more. I think i would be fine as far as not wanting to get back on the pills if I could just get off this suboxone
Well, I am also pregnant and on suboxone. I was recently told suboxone can cause down syndrome (not by a doctor just by a friend). So I have been searching and searching and have yet to hear a story saying that any woman had a baby come out messed up in any way from it. I like suboxone. I was on pain pills for 3 years, and methadone for 2 years. While the methadone did its job the suboxone is a life saver. I have a good job, have a great man in my life, and will soon have a great baby in my life. I have no intentions to get off of it any time soon. I am 100% me, it may give me a little boost when I take it but I never feel "high", I have no side affects, I feel more like "me" than I have in 5 years. I know this comment doesn't really help you because you posted a year ago. But I just wanted to say a few things about suboxone. Oh yeah, my parents have been through this whole rollercoaster of drug addiction with me, they went on pain so I did, they went on methadone, so I did, they went on suboxone so I did and they too say it was the best thing they ever could have done and are so greatful that they helped me clean my life up and get it together before it was too late.
Apparently you have no idea about the disease of addiction. Yes, it was causes by bad choices we made in our lives(mistakes), but not one addict in this world one day woke up and I want to be an addict. I am on suboxone and also pregnant and a recovering opiot addict. My OBGYN and my Phsycotrist tell me everyday that it is better for me and the baby to stay on the suboxone, then risk me going through withdrawels, because if i'm going through withdrawels, it could hurt the unborn baby. It is also much safer to stay on the sub than to go back on and relapse while pregant. We are addicts, and even recovering addicts have a tendency to crave their drug of choice. Sub not only saved my life and made me the person I used to be before I became an addict, it has taken away any cravings I used to have. I am proud of all the women out there who decided to be on suboxone while pregnant, then to be out there abusing drugs! You have made the RIGHT DECISION!
I have struggled with addiction in the past to opiates.  I found out I was pregnant in 2008 with a due date in May of 2009.  I checked into a detox as I wasn't sure if I could stop doing the pills alone.  After detox I got hooked up with a doctor that gave me Subutex throughout my pregnancy and in May of 2009 I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby girl.  She is now almost a year old and was switched to Suboxone after I gave birth.  I have switched doctors since being on Suboxone as the first doctor only treats patients for a certain amount of time.  My  new doctor is great but is privately insured and is not allowed to prescribe me Subutex.  I have been trying to find a new doctor to take me as a patient but they either aren't taking new patients or won't prescribe a pregnant person Subutex.  I am tappering off of Suboxone now and am taking 12mg a day and want to be off everything by the time I give birth but I don't want to just be cut off and be sick.  I have called so many places and have come up with nothing.  Is there anything anyone could suggest so that I can have a healthy tappering off of the suboxone or subutex?  I have read that stopping the suboxone cold turkey could cause miscarraiges as well so I'm really stressed about this situation and don't know where to go from here . . . . . .
Hello everyone, I am a 31 yr old that have been addicted to Vic. for 16yrs, a very long time! I found out about suboxone and have been 100% clean for 12 moths. It's been awsome! I here everyone out there when they say they don't feel normal without the "durg" I have found my normalc with suboxone! I just found out yesterday that i'm pregnant and I'm so worried! I do have a little girl and quit the Vic's cool turkey with her with no problem, I guess it was easy for me because I knew I had a little one inside me! I guess what i'm wondering is I'm on 24mg daily and have cut myself down to 8 mg yesterday and today, I think I want to come off of them all together but am worried for the baby. Your guys input have been great, but I guess I want someone elses oppion that have been in my shoes! Thank You Everyone! And KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
I know this is a pretty old thread and most of the women who have posted here have already delivered their babies, and most likely all healthy.  
I just wanted to say to anyone on Suboxone/Methadone/Prescribed Pain Meds that it is always best to get in to see a doctor ASAP and talk to them about your prescriptions before tapering off or changing your meds. And NEVER stop taking the prescribed med cold turkey, NEVER. (Unless you're on such a low dose that the doctor says it's okay.)

I, personally am on prescription pain medication and have seen a specialist for my high risk pregnancy and he told me everything should be fine.  Many women have had healthy pregnancies and babies while taking prescribed medication.  There is hope and ways to help the baby after birth and taper off later in pregnancy.

I hope this helps anyone with this issue and if anyone would like to contact me via PM to talk, I am happy to help.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.