Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Ultracet?

whats ultracet? i know its a pain reliever with tylenol, but does it give you the energy and motivation of vike or percs? I ask because I had to change doctors, and while he wasnt too happy to write for the vicodins i have been on for years, he had no problem with ultracet and he gave me a script.....so im basically asking, do people  get addicted to this drug? should i not even start it?
Ultracet is fundamentally Tramadol or Ultram.

The short answer is yes, it's addictive, no you won't get the same "buzz" you did from vicodin. It also happens to make me personally nauseous (I'm a norco addict).

From a scientific standpoint, the reason it's less buzzy is that it's far more selective about the neuroreceptors it hits. Its active ingredient is a stripped-down synthetic piperidine-analog of codeine. This means its agonistic effect is almost exclusively mediated by the substance's action at the μ-opioid receptor. This means it hits ONLY the opioid receptors, and not "them and everything else nearby".

Since opioids generally act upon one or more of the human opiate receptors (the euphoria, addictive nature and respiratory depression are mainly caused by the Mu(μ) 1 and 2 receptors), you won't feel has happy or buzzy on it. The nearby euphoria switches aren't (at least in theory) triggered.

It IS however an opiate. It DOES hit the μ-opioid receptor. This means you CAN build a physical dependence on it, it's just much harder to work up a psychological one.
I took Ultram years ago for chronic pain.  I didn't care for it.  I was on it for quite a while.  I think I took 2 or 3 a day and I don't remember the dosage.  But it did make me feel "high" or something.  It wasn't a good feeling at all.  When I stopped taking it, I didn't have any wds but from what I've read, a lot of people do.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Are you looking for energy and motivation?  This drug is highly addictive and can have very serious consequences when coming off them.......sara
Highly, HIGHLY addictive.  Throw your script away.  Trust me!
COMMUNITY LEADER
There you are!!  Thank you........
wow... ok thanks!! why are docs so willing to prescribe it then?
The doctors (some,not all) have been fed a load of crap about tramadol being a great,non addictive pain reliever. They get this info from the drug reps who are only parroting the manufacturers lies.  I believe this!!  Many people get addicted to tramadol,love the feeling,and have horrible withdrawals. It,also,contains an antidepressant which means it's not a drug you can just stop!
Glad you checked in here...
Vicki
I can't speak for tramahater, but from a chemistry standpoint they should be substantially LESS addictive than most other opiates. She may have had a bad time with them, or has some information I'm not privy to, but again, since they only target the μ-opioid receptor and not the Mu(μ) 1 and 2 receptors (where euphoria, respiratory depression and ADDICTIVE NATURE stem from), at least in theory they should be less addictive.

Indeed, if you read the drug's history when it was introduced back in the 70's, it was marketed as a less addictive opiate. Note that "less addictive" doesn't at ALL mean "NOT addictive". It just means that it's addicting fewer portions of your brain than say Vicodin.
Note that Tramadol has the antidepressant, from what I understand Ultracet does not. They're both just the same core drug.

Personally, I can't feel ANY effect from them in comparison to Vicodin or Norco, outside of nausea.

happypill:

Think of it like this:

Vicodin hits portions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of your brain. All 5 do different things (make you feel good, slow down your breathing, etc.). All 5 get "used to" getting the opiates, so they alter subtly to "expect" those opiates.

Ultracet allegedly hits only portion 1, so 2-5 don't get triggered, nor do they expect their cut. Portion 1 may still get hideously dependent, but the argument is 20% is better than 100%.

This is not to say you would have 20% of the WD symptoms, or only 20% of the difficulty quitting, just that less of your brain overall is affected by the meds.
As was mentioned, THIS DRUG IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND CAN HAVE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES.

For whatever reason, doctor's prescribe them as if they are harmless.

Please happy, listen to the members who have actual EXPERIENCE with them and be very, very careful. I hate to see you switch your DOC and find yourself in a dangerous place.

Just curious, are you looking for energy through the pills or do you think you could possibly deal with the pain using Motrin? I am not certain what your pain is from or what level it is but that is something to consider.
Yes,Jordan,but when one is an addict,one takes more than recommened thus getting more drug.  The chemistry is correct unless you put it up against an addict,then all theory is out the window.  There are many people on this forum who have been horribly addicted to this drug
Now,I don't know if "happypill" is an addict or requires pain relief. But,judging by her screen name it's a safe bet that she'd be better off without Ultracet...

Vicki  xo
YES it is HIGLY ADDICTIVE its a synthetic opiate we have hundreds of people addicted to it .For many it cause euphoria .It works as a double whammy of a antidepressant ands a pain meds .Coming off of it is heLL.
Ultracet=tramadol AND acetominophen...the apap is the only difference. It's just bad news. The end.  :)

V.
Touche.

Admittedly, my experience with Ultram was only for about a week, and was literally because I couldn't find my usual DOC. Moreover, I was in no way attempting to recover at that time. So, while I was certainly taking over recommended dosage (around 40 a day or so; they seem weaker than Vicodin), I can't honestly evaluate them against a recovery standpoint.

Further, your analysis of hp's desire for the meds could indeed spot-on. If so, then you may well be right about the propriety of taking them.

All, please bear in mind, I'm answering the question posed, namely: Why are doctors willing to prescribe them more easily than other opioids. It's important to note that doctors generally are NOT addicts, and don't think along those roads. From a strictly theoretical standpoint, a less-addictive substance must seem a much better choice, especially in light of the prevalence of opiate addiction in the US right now.
BTW it just as addictive if you take 4 a day or if you take 20 a day .As with any addictive drug you start out on a lower dose and as you become more tolerant the more you take .Getting off hydro is far easier then tramadol so I would not fill it .
There is also the risk of seizures if you abuse this med .As well it effects the serotonin receptors in your body. We have had members end up with serotonin syndrome when they abuse it as well.
By the sounds of it, some of the other members have better advice than mine on this topic. I can answer the chemistry questions about the med, and even provide a medical rationale to its prescription (I'm NOT a doctor!!!), but I cannot speak to the long-term effects.

Take what you will from my words, but it appears avisg, vicki595, and, as always, IBKleen know what they're talking about from a practical standpoint, at least more than I do. I'd listen to them.
Yes,Jordan,you're right: Theoretically, it does seem to be a better drug to prescribe and many people DON'T have a problem with it...and it's prescribed for folks presumed not
to be addicts.  I mean, what addict says to the doctor:"You know, I abuse meds so be careful what you give me".    On this forum though...we're addicts or related to an addict.
So...we always come from that perspective.

Just curious...how long have you taken Vicodin and relatives?

V. xo
Me?

I started on Vicodin/Percocet about two years ago. I had balcony collapse from beneath me and broke both feet, collapsed both arches, and tore half the ligaments in both.

I started out taking the recommended dosages, which did nothing for the volume of pain I was in, so I started exceeding it. I naturally ran out much quicker than expected. When I tried to get a refill, my doc told me I needed to wait. Lamenting this to an acquaintance at the time, he mentioned he had a couple hundred he'd sell me. After factoring the doc visits, it was actually cheaper to buy through him. So I did.

Two months later, the pain was pretty much gone, so I stopped taking the meds. That's when I started getting extremely violent WD symptoms. What I SHOULD have done was go and fess up to my doc then and there, but I was scared I'd be arrested, or branded a druggie, or what have you. I bought more, the WD pain went away.

As we all know, tolerances go up, and before I knew it, I was taking 7-10 a day. This scared me, so I went, got signed up with a Sub doc, and switched over. I stayed on Subs for about 5 months until, while working on one of the disaster relief projects after the fires out here in California, the structure we were trying to reinforce collapsed, driving a splinter of wood into my left eye. It hurt. A lot.

Problem was, I was Subs. As you probably know, pain meds do nothing while on Subs, so I got myself around 200 Norco, and started taking them until I got relief. It took about 20 or so a day. As the Subs lapsed and I switched firmly on to Norco, I found myself unable to taper any lower. The Subs themselves had driven my tolerance through the roof.

Here it is, about a year after the splinter, and I've been taking around 30 Norcos a day. I'm switching back to the Subs tomorrow, and I'm going to try and keep it down to around 12mg a day to start, but I'm still scared shi*tless.
Wow,Jordan...that sounds like it was rough!  As with so many of us,we start out trying to get pain relief and it turns crazy,bad and awful. My love affair was with barbiturates so I HAD to taper. UGH!!  When I stopped(finally!!) so did the pain. Imagine that!! It only took me 20 years...  So,I've not taken Sub. Are you sure that 12 mgs. is the right dose to start? Is that why you're a bit scared?(A lot scared?)    I thought folks started at a very low dose,like 2mgs.,and went up. But,I don't ever pretend to be a sub expert.It's
way too tricky and I'm always learning. So,that's why I ask. You can enlighten me.  

V.  xo
Hey there!  To answer your question.....Two reasons I think docs freely prescribe it.  1.  They have been told too much BS from the makers of it, and they truly believe it is safe.  2.  They don't get in trouble from the DEA, YET, for prescribing it like they would some painkillers.  Maybe trouble is the wrong word, but it "looks bad" when they give out lots of narcotics.

Seriously, if I had a choice between arsenic and ultracet right now, I would seriously consider just taking the arsenic and getting it over with!!!! : )  The other way would just be too slow!  I have been addicted to just about every controlled drug in the PDR, and ambien and ultram were the worst two I have ever detoxed from....EVER!  Including some Class II narcotics.  It was absolutely awful. And if you remember, both those drugs were said to be "non-habit forming" in the beginning!  I can tell you from personal experience that that is a crock of $hit!  

Did I make myself clear here???????????   LOLOLOLOL  

Have a good night!

Lea Ann
Lee Ann~  I have some "old lace"  if you ever need it~  Which you won't!!!

I think happypill has gotten the  answers~

xo
Old lace?
"Arsenic and Old Lace"...ever hear of it?  A movie...very good...
Bwahahahahaha!  I get it now!  I'm such a dumb blonde!  I crack myself up sometimes!  

All I can say is that I wake up in a different world every single day! : )  But y'all love me!??!!!!?? LOL