Understanding withdraw`

I have been with my wife for several years but in the last two years she has developed a problem with xanax. It started out normal and then it became where she was not happy without them. To the point she would take 10 to 15 blues in one day. She is clean for 4 weeks but I am afriad she will fall again. I have stopped her ablity to get any for now but you know people when they are determined. Could someone tell the systoms that come with being off of this drug for a long period time so I now what to expect
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry that no one has answered you. It is a weekend and early in the day still. I am sure someone will help you as soon as someone with an answer gets on here. Hang in there.
Helpful - 0
Thx for your concerns it is nice to know there are people to talk to on these issues
Helpful - 0
My DOC was xanax... can you give me a little more info please such as why your wife took them in the first place, was it the doctor that prescribed them for her, has she tapered and /or had withdrawels? I am more than happy to offer you advice but I need to know where she is at now.. good luck and please let me know so that I can advise you to the best of my knowledge... also if you scroll down there are a couple of people who posted yesterday in redards to xanax that you may find helpful ...
Helpful - 0
Good Morning,she is lucky that you care,this is not a post of what to watch for but things I hope you are saying to her(or the things I would like to hear from the hub)Do you tell her what a great job shr has done getting off pills?do you tell her how you love that her personality is back and it makes you happy.Do you tell her how beautiful she is without the drugs?And do you tell her you love her?Instead of waiting for the shoe to drop praise what she has accomplished now.You are a caring husband or you would not be here.Congragulations
Helpful - 0
lovely post from cookie... sometimes we forget what sometimes is very important...PRAISE xx
Helpful - 0
My wife has always enjoyed taking xanax. She has phobias that keep her from enjoying her life such as not being outgoing or stresses about everything. She would take the pills to fit in and have a good time. Then it became where should could not deal with anything and everything stressed her out. It got to the point she would be in a bad mood without them. After being on them for a while she shut everyone out and went around half out of mind and you could not have a serious conversation with her. She began hanging out with others that did the same thing. I got her to get off of them one time but she got back on. She told her doctor she could not sleep and needed something to help he unwind at the end of the day so she put her on them. Then she would take them in one weekend all 30. Now that she is off she seems depressed at times and I scared she will try to go back. She does not like what she becomes but she misses them to.
Helpful - 0
I am trying to keep my wife positive on what she is doing. I praise her all the time I know what she is going through is not easy and I am here to help. It just gets hard sometime because you dont know if it is u or is it the drugs that causes her to be depress
Helpful - 0
I know how that feels.. initially they were prescribed to me because I was stressed, anxious, could not sleep... however i had an underlying problem that needed to be addressed.. I took the xanax as prescribed and yes they made me feel better - for a while.. your wifes doctor should know that xanax is a short term med, max 4 weeks otherwise the med does not work and all the anxiety comes back even while taking them and then INTRODUCTION TO ADDICTION.  Xanax does not work after the required 4 weeks hence your wife self medicated, just like I did.. Again, she could not deal with anything simply because the med stopped doing its job.. it is also a mood altering drug and it is the mind that craves it not the body.. although withdrawing is naturally a physical plus mental thing an addict has to go through.. I would be so anxious that i would pop a pill.... of course it never took effect for at least 20 mins but just the fact that i 'just' popped one in my mouth, i instantly felt better.. see, its a psychological thing.. Your wife obviously needs help addressing the reason why she needed them in the first place, just like I have to now.. of course if she doesn't there is a real threat that she may go back to them unless she gets the help she desperately needs. With the right doctor and counselling she will get there but not if her issues are left wide open otherwise she will feel the anxiety and stress...surely her doctor knows that xanax is only short term relief  and in your wifes case, a more serious underlying problem with herself - self esteem, not being able to face the world, etc... She misses them becaus they somewhat made her feel better even though she was half out of her mind and could not have a serious conversation.. after all xanax is a hypnotic... please let me know how things go and I will get back to you as soon as i am able and help you to the best of my ability.. good luck
Helpful - 0
Darling I would bet it is not you,we mourn the loss of our little helpers and there is so much more to quitting that just the physical withdrawl the mental can kick your butt.You go thru extrmr guilt,you wonder If you will ever be happy,you are soo embarrased that we got to this place and you have to fight that little devil in your head that trys to tell ya those pills were not that bad.SO do not take it personally it is really hard .I am glad your here stay with us ,It is as hard on you as her.But things can get better
Helpful - 0
i do love you lots! thank you x
Helpful - 0
BACK AT YA SWEETIE now get some sleep!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
First, you sound like a very caring husband. I don't know your wife or your entire situation but I totally agree with cookie: praise her efforts and point out the positive changes youve already seen in here. Try as hard as you can not to berate her for her past actions. She cant change the past, only the present and the future.
Second, she has made "drug" friends that shes hanging out with and these associations seriously threaten her sobriety. Why dont you plan a lot of activities (fun, inexpensive, nonstressfyl) for the two of ypu AND arrange group activities with quality friends that she might develop friendships with. She needs your help: do more than is required. That's how relationships work. Now is your time to carry the relationship. It will all be worth it when shes better
Third, i would seriously try and find her a good psychologist. She's clearly abusing Xanax bit "why" that started may help her prevent relapse. A psychologist can help her and determine if she needs treatment for anxiety (there are lots of anti-anxiety meds that aren't benzoids) but personally I think a person is better off starting with a psychologist as opposed to a psychiatrist especially at the beginning. Psychiatrists generally believe a prescription is always the answer.
Finally: to answer ur question (about time LOL) I think you will ne able to tell when she starts acting like she did before. Also if she stops talking about her recovery its most likely because she is not in recovery and has relapsed
Helpful - 0
cant sleeeeeep... i need to stay awake so that I can sleep tonight and then hopefully wake up at a reasonable hour tomorrow..im trying to retrain my nutty head! x
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community