Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Every site has a few problems but I assure you the moderator rids the site of problematic people.

Anyway I have been to both sites and if you are looking for a site where people tend to stay for longer periods of time, then that is the site for you.

This site is a good site as well. The other one is just run better.
Helpful - 0
First to "John B." you had a great post!  You are so right on with your examples of how life changes w/o needed pain meds.  I would rather you type from your heart than attempt to constantly worry about spelling and grammer.  Please don't mind show off's who do not have your best interest at heart attempt to display their comedic talents here on this board.

To CINDY:  It is so upsetting to know what Robert and his family are going through.  Cindy, I must be honest too and say that I can relate to your "plea".  It has taken so MANY years to finally find a doctor who has me closely monitored with the proper medication.  I have arthritis, TMJ and Fibro.  I went so many years on drugs like Verapimil (for bad headache pain, it was a blood pressure pill) that made me swell up as bad as Elvis.  I also would pass out because of such a high dosage.  I have run the full gamut of meds and thank God and my doctor I finally have such a wonderful quality of life. My kids have their mom back.

And to ALL:  I am so glad that there are more nice and kind ones here than people filled with rage and hostility.  I can't name all of the WONDERFUL that I admire, but people like Cindy, Brighty, John B., Vonn and Jess, Brian (who got back from CA)just to name a few.  We all come here and pour out hearts out one way or another. Who wants to get blasted by some smartass humor on spelling or someone who won't even post their name PASS JUDGEMENT on someone who DOES post their name.  I just want to say that I don't take you all for granted for a moment.  I think your great.  I have been coming here for a year.  Most of the times I leave this board feeling like I have learned something new.  Sometimes I am here just to read the incredible passages by BRIGHTY.  Anyway, I wont ramble any more but I just wanted to take this time to say no matter how hateful this board can be I am thankful for YOU who are reading this now AND all my other friends on this board.

Sincerely,
Shelly

Helpful - 0
I find the site to be good for letting it out. But I agree about the staff not being around much. Maybe it's a money thing.If you are comforted by hearing other people are as bad or in worse shape than you, it helps knowing you are not alone.God luck to all who need the help.If it gets you through the night...
Helpful - 0
Wow I didn't mean to get everybody so off track here. I know my spelling is bad, and I am not a typest. Friends and family just sort of chuckle over that now. The one person that made that one post has there own problems to deal with and I am sure when he or she is ready that they to can benifit from this site.
  Since my last post I have started to have some really bad shoulder pain. It only lasted a couple of days, but I went to the ER, and you got it. I got some pills vicodin at first. Then a scrip for 100 percs. Now this three week waiting period befor my next scrip turned into only one. It was a good week tward the end I felt so good to be doing things without the meds. I woke(spelling?) up thismorning and went as long as I could. Then finaly about 1:00, after a morning of just laying in bed a I caved in. I should have known better as long as I have them in the house I will take them. Oh how I look forward to the day that my doctor hands me a scrip and I say "no thank you I don't need them anymore". I don't see me runing out of pills till the first week in Jan. That will be a bad month for me. I know I have to beet this thing. What is it going to take for me? When will I just say I have had enouph? I hate who I am. I eaven feel I only love my wife and daughter and friends because of and, when I am on the pills. My daughter is so sweet. We adopted her right out of the hospital. She is 6 now and everyday she jumps out of the shcool bus and runs tward me with open arms and almost knocks me over. We have a very good relationship. No body knows what I am going through (exept now all of you) and it has been this way for 20 years, and through the raising of three other children. I don't want them to know untill I am ready to really stop and start living a reall life. They all know I take pain meds but they don't know what these drugs are really all about and what they can do to you. I leveled with my wife about a year ago but then I started to tell her I was better. I just wasn't ready then. You all know what I mean. I know we all have our stories to tell. So lets start sharing them with one another. I will be gone in about a week and a half for three weeks. We are going on a cruis to the Bahamas a trip we have been saving for and looking forward too for some time. Of course I have a doctors appt. right befor I go so I have enouph meds.
  Lets all keep our heads up and just know that we CAN BEAT THIS THING. Have some faith in that God given will to live. And thank you for all your support. What a great gift we have in eachother.

I will be reading and maybe posting till I leave so till then.
            SUCCESS TO YOU ALL

PS. sorry for all the misspelled words
Helpful - 0
You are right. I am using the percodan to controle depretion. And it certainly get rid of it. But the pill wears of and depretion comes back. You are a good person thank you for you responce.
             John B.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the complement!  I've been on all the SSRI antidepressants in the last 30 months but for one reason or another I couldn't handle them.  Everything from Prozac to Paxil and some others have some rather bizarre side effects for me that I cannot handle for long.  Plus they can take from 3 to 6 weeks to kick in.  I've been legitimately taking hydrocodone now for several weeks, three times per day.  My depression is long gone now and I am able to function physically as well.  On the SSRI's I felt tired and weak most of the time to the point of staying home in bed for long periods.  That's how it is with me in a nutshell.  If someone wants to say that I abuse my hydrocodone,  well all I can say is that this abuse has brought me back into society as a functioning and contributing member.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community