Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes yes that is exacly what I am doing. Without the percs I am so depressed that I just want to stay in bed. But how can I get a doctor to prescribe this med as an ani-depressent. I also take imipramine 150 mg a day, zoloft 100 mg a day. With all that antidepressent in my system I still dont feel right till I take my percs. I too hade a bad time ajusting to the antidepressants. When I first started on amitriptaline about 9 years ago it was bad at first, and my wife was really scared. I had really bad dreams, and was walking in my sleep, and I felt really druged all day. I almost lost my job(I have been a chef for 20 years now). But when I finally did adjust I had the most productive time in my life. I was taking vicodin also. I did this for about 3 years. Then my doctor called my wife and said he was conserned because I was going through so many vicodin. She felt that there was a problem so told him she has never known me when I wasn't taking some kind of drug. Back around 1975 through 1981 I was a heavy pot smoker. Living in Florida then, it was very cheap and easy to get.Strangly enouph I had no problem with stopping. Probly because it's adverse affects on me were so easy to see.So any way when I called my doctor for a refill he said no more untill I come see him first. So I got scared and dropped the ball on the whole thing. It was easy to do because I was only taking one a day. I know now that that is hardly enouph to be a addict. But when I moved up here to Maine I got a very good job and good insurence. So I went to a doctor and told hime I was having migrains again which I really was, but never as many as I told him I was having. He gave me 100 percodans a month. Then I really started to take them alot! It took 2 years to hit bottom. When I did I told my wife and doctor what I was doing. He said it is so easy to fall into that trap and it happens so often. So he sent me to an adiction specealest. I saw him for a while and it really didn't help that much. He put me on xanex for a while and I really didn't care for that so I basicly faked a recovery.Now I am up to 50 pills ever month and a half or so. So I am up and down depending on when I have them and I dont. So what do I do? They are the only antidepresant that helps me. Should I tell my doctor that? Or will he say that is wrong and cut me off totally?
  If you have any suggestions on this please let me know
Does your doctor know why you take hydrocodone? And if he does what does he say about it? I want to be honest to everyone and still take these pills. I know taking them is not good for me and soon I will have to deall with that too.

Thanks for you fast response to my last post and look forward to hearing form you again.

John B.
Helpful - 0
I've been prescribed the painkillers for pain.  I haven't told my doctor outright that they work on my depression but I'm sure he knows this due to my appearance and demeanor.  I did tell him that I quit my latest SSRI and haven't had a problem with depression lately. I'm not suggesting that everybody that suffers from depression be put on opiates.  In my case, the underlying reason for my depression was constant pain.  I think that maybe someone here like Dan could give you some more advice about dealing with your particular problem.

I also want to remind you that I am an addict but there is no way I'm going to screw this thing up.  I let my wife get the pills from the pharmacy and despense them to me on schedule.  I don't trust myself enough to be in control of these meds.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should consider having my wife do the same. I did try once to let her have them and eaven hide them and only let me have them when I really needed them. But that just didnt work. She just put me on a giult trip every time I asked for one. She knew that I wasn't in pain. She does know that they help with my deprestion. She just doesn't think that that is the way to deal with it and would just lable me a junky. How can I get in touch with Dan so could talk to him. This thing is just tearing me apart.

Thanks:  John B.
Helpful - 0
I think that Dan has read some of your posts and is giving you some advice.  It's probably not the stuff you want to hear right now but good advice nonetheless.  Believe you me, I have been where you are now and it sucks.  I can only tell you what works for me and me alone.  Don't get the impression that what I do will work for you.  I just have a lot of mileage behind me and am able to cope with things on a different plane.  Addiction is just such a multifaceted syndrome that I don't think we'll ever have the final answer.   You have to figure out what's good for you.  Remember, it's only a life and death matter!
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry, but your line about the "bad" people screams for a response, and I am the one to do it!!!!!!  First, who decides what a "bad" person is?  The republicans?  The doctors?  Anyone who doesn't agree with another opinion?  Secondly, I have seen that site and I am sure the people are very good, but that's the problem.  It is a very nice, little bubble, but seems really fake.  And the fact that one cannot speak freely, being screened by a moderator and all, makes it appear to be an "R" rated movie that has been "Edited for Television." That may be a warm and fuzzy little site for shiny happy people, but it seems that the people on this site are real.  I can feel their pain, pardon the cliche.
Helpful - 0
I also looked into the addiction forum on the MGH site and was disappointed.  It seemed like a clique of regulars that ignored the newcomer.  Several others that I'm in contact with have the same impression.  If you aren't mentioned on their daily "roll call", you don't exist.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community