Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am a regular on the other site. And I can tell you that like any other site it has its good days and bad days.Some of the people are great and some are not, but you have to take the good with the bad. I know that this site sometimes is the same way. I started posting here first. That was back when Chad first got clean. By the way hows it goin buddy? Hope to hear from you soon. I am currently starting to detox myself again from pain pills and these sites are a great help, but also can be harmful if you let others hurt your feelings or you hurt others. You have to take what you need and let the rest slide off. I will be on both sites as I am goin thru this process of withdrawl and recovery and hope to hear from you good people for your help and prayers. Thank you all for being here for one another, it is a wonderful thing.
Helpful - 0
Yes this is a wonderfull thing. I have been fighting this battle with pain pills for over 20 years. I have learned more and now feel better about myself in the last two weeks than in all the 20+ years I have been on these stupid pills.
  Lets all keep our heads up and no more feeling ashamed of our problem. Now we have eachother, and lets try to keep those people who have nothing good to say out numbered.

SUCCESS TO ALL OF YOU: John B.
Helpful - 0
Hey. Thanks or all your help and I hope I was of some to you. Lets not loose contact with one onother. I would like to know how you are doing. I am talking to Dan and he suggested a methadone treatment for me. So I will give it a try. It will be scary telling my doctor. I just hope he will agree with that and not just cut me off totaly.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU: John B.
Helpful - 0
Robert, I sympathize with your desire to expose this hospital and its doctor. However, when shows like 20-20 jump on the bandwagon, legitimate pain sufferers are the ones that, well, suffer. Good doctors hesitate even more to prescribe medicines that work for those with arthiritis and other constant pain. Please think carefully about what you are doing. One bad doctor does not mean all doctors and hospitals should panic over prescribing. Not being an addict yourself, or in pain, you do not realize what having a sympathetic doctor who prescribes in MODERATION means to us. Just a small plea. Thanks for listening.

I whole heartly agree, recently my room mate with nueropathy due to aids was cut off his oxycotin that he used RESPONSIBLY for two years because his doctor got investigated for some reason. Mike didnt abuse them - but he was told he would not be prescribed them anymore to go somewhere else. He did, my doctor, who was absolutely shocked and agreed with the fact he most likely got investegated....who suffers here are the people that use them the correct way for the correct reason. Of course he is addicted to them, thats to be expected, but he was FAR from abuseing them.
Helpful - 0
That is all.  I dont want my future jeopardized because of the lame few.  I get very upset at the thought of no longer having the correct meds that work for me.  There is no way a Doctor would take away insulin from a Diabetic, why should my Doctor take away this medication that has given me a new lease on my now wonderful life. It is not a life full of "Highs" and "Buzzes". It is a life WITHOUT PAIN.  If MY DOCTOR does decide to stop or change it let it be HIS decision.  Sandy, dont you think that this issue almost has the same sensitivity as the other issue that starts with an "A".  It is kind of like "Freedom for MY Doctor to choose my pain meds without worrying about the Gestapo behind him. Kind of like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, MY doctors choice.
Helpful - 0
That is all.  I dont want my future jeopardized because of the lame few.  I get very upset at the thought of no longer having the correct meds that work for me.  There is no way a Doctor would take away insulin from a Diabetic, why should my Doctor take away this medication that has given me a new lease on my now wonderful life.

It is not a life full of "Highs" and "Buzzes". It is a life WITHOUT PAIN.

If MY DOCTOR does decide to stop or change it let it be HIS decision.  Sandy, dont you think that this issue almost has the same sensitivity as the other issue that starts with an "A".  It is kind of like "Freedom for MY Doctor to choose my pain meds without worrying about the Gestapo behind him.

Kind of like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, MY doctors choice.

Those out there that have NO idea what Chronic Pain is like I envy you. But I dont envy those that do not have the compassion to relate to how we feel.  Lives are ruined or uprooted. Vacations that come to a roarig halt.  Missed lunch dates with my kids at their school.  When the pain in not in control (before the pain meds and the fine doctor who knows that I need them) everyone around you if effected.  I also am involved in acupuncture, chiropracric, meditation, and Yoga.  I do not use the pain meds as the cure all band aid. My Oxy is part of the BIG healing picture.  Thanks for listening and I did not mean to get on any soapbox.  See, You all are so easy to talk to and such good listeners!
Have a great PAIN FREE weekend everyone!
MARCIE!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If this posts twice it is because my paw hit the "submit" button by accident I am so sorry!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community