Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I believe you are doing the right things.  I don't have any experience with ALATEEN but how else are they going to learn?  And it won't cost you any money.

Take care of yourself and your kids first!  You don't need any harassment, especially right now.

I don't know for sure how DEA handles these matters but they sure have most doctors scared.
Helpful - 0
Hi Susie,
Is this man the kids dad?
Whether he is or isnt you are doing the right thing!
Your poor little babies!  From your post it sounds like if he truly had the desire to get his act together you would let him come back.  Is this what he is currently bothering you about?  I mean the phone calls, him not wanting to get his clothes is he wanting you to tell him that he can come back?  If he got help would you let him?  Or would he have to get his act together first?  If he comes home before getting help I see this as a vicious cycle happening.

Susie, you have finally had the last straw.  Something has to change.  You are very couragous!  Keep in mind that your kids are watching your every move right now.  This is one of lifes lessons they will NEVER forget.  

My Mom left my dad after 10 years of marraige.  He was an alcoholic who ultimately lost his family because of this disease.  He would counsel people at AA meetings and then leave the meeting and go drinking.  My mom had never worked a day in her life.  She stayed home and took care of us.  I was 10, my sister was 8 1/2  (and a juvenile Diabetic). Like you Lisa my mom was courageous. She had the guts to do what most might not have.  We went from a big home on the water, belonged to Yacht Clubs, my mom was a volunteer in the hospital, Special Olympics, the Diabetis Center. The perfect life (so to speak).  We ended up on food stamps, in a trailer, and a mom who worked (for the first time in her life) in  factory assembling pens for a living.  NO Child Support.  MY POINT TO ALL THIS IS WAS MY MOM WAS MY BEST FRIEND THEN AND SHE IS NOW.  Susie, my sister and I were little but we grew up fast because of our environment.  My mom is a hero to me.  She did the hardest thing she could ever do!  My sister and I have a relationship with my mom that kids who come from an OZZIE AND HARRIET type of situation would never know.  I cant put into words how much I love my mom.  I love her more for what she did for us.  I tell her to this day that she made me what I am.  I know from that experience that life gives you no guarantees.  That situation prepared me so much more for life.  And now it will help me prepare my daughter and son to be a survivor in their life. This is hard to explain Susie but what I mean is I feel like young children who have strong, supported caring moms like you WILL TURN OUT OKAY AND WILL LOVE YOU MORE IN THE LONG RUN.  

That whole scene back then was traumatic at the time.  We went from donating all our toys to charity every year for the needy one year to RECEIVING TOYS FROM CHARITY (THE NEXT YEAR) BECAUSE WE HAD NO MONEY WHATSOEVER! Pretty ironic dont you think!

What I am trying so hard to get across is do whatever is best for your kids and you.  YOU THREE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN YOUR WORLD!!!! Your kids will learn from you SUPERMOM that you cant help those who dont want to help themselves. You are teaching them that even though you can love someone so much sometimes that just is not enough.  Let your babies know that they are the most important thing in your life (which I am sure they know but its always great to hear again and again!).  They must know that if they are in that situation one day that YOU DONT HAVE TO STAY IN IT!!!!

It tears my heart out to know that they cry for him at night.  I have an idea for you. WHAT IF you had your kids (do you have boys and girls or both?) write on paper how they feel.  I mean just tell them to write down what it is that makes them cry.  What are they thinking?  What kind of sense are they making of this?  I mean why do they think he is gone? I mean could you say something like if you could tell ____ whatever you wanted to say what would you tell him?  After they do this as part of your LAST intervention with him SHOW HIM THE LETTERS.  Let him see and read what you are seeing those kids go through first hand!
Let him know that you have cut him all the slack that he is getting from you and your kids.  Let him know that he has made a mess of his life and that he will NOT be allowed to bring that on to your kids. They are precious little souls that should not have to be dragged through his world.  

You said that you could tell that your boyfriend was calling you from his moms house.  Do you mean that he found out what your phone number is ?  Is his mother an ENABLER or WHAT!  Please stay strong!  What a great Christmas present to yourself and to the kids.  A whole new life! Please Hang in there.  Your kids will thank you for it. Later on down the road if he does get his act together maybe he can meet with the kids or something that way the kids get some closure if you even think they need it.  Are there addiction counselors for kids that they could maybe talk to?  Susie, you have handled yourself so well through this.  You know his mom is LOCO. You dont need him as a boyfriend and you dont need that woman (his mommy)in your life!  You are young and smart you have two wonderful, sensitive kids.  You all are going to make it.  Please dont let that man bring you all down please.  Life is so short.  The kids will be grown and in college and you will STILL BE a human punching bag, verbally abused, will a house messed up all the time for someone with CHRONIC FLU SYMPTOMS!!! I want you to stay strong. I dont ever want him to one day just break you down with the name calling and ruin your spirit! You know you are doing the right thing NOW RUN WITH IT SUSIE!!!!!!!   There is a fine man out there somewhere just waiting for a lady like you with two sweet kids. Someone who deserves you and the kids. PLEASE DON'T GIVE IN. Now Susie I want you to give me something to hope for, for you three!
MERRY CHRISTMAS SUSIE.  WE LOVE YOU TOO.
Love to you and your sweet little angel kids.
Marcie.

Helpful - 0
I for one am for turning in Drs. who over prescribe, I watched my Mom go through numerous detoxes & it was disgusting what the Drs. had given her!! I have back problems & right now my favorite drug in the world is Lodine, it works better than a vicodin for pain (for me) it is non narcotic (sorry...no buzz) and non addictive. Bottom line is it works better than vicodins or percocets for relieving pain, why arent more Drs. trying this avenue?
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I know how your wife feels.  After several years of prescription drug abuse myself.  I believe that sometimes we get lost in the pain and believe that any narcotic med. will help any kind of pain, including mental.  We don't mean to hurt those closest to us, but sometimes there is no other course of action.  Don't give up on your wife. She can only help herself but you have to be there to support her.  I lost evrything that ment anything to me.  My marriage of 10 years, my home and just about my life.  Doctors don't think sometimes before they prescribe.  Dr. are sometimes so busy, they just want to get to the next patient and get through their day.  Just like us.  Sometimes it's the money.  If they give you what you want you keep coming back.  So, really who's fault is it?  I think everyone involved.
Helpful - 0
Sad
You are all very sad and you need a life.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community