Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Vicodin

I was in a car accident 6-8-99. As a result I suffered a ruptured disk. I had surgery 12-20-99. I have been taking Vicodin since Aug. I have just recently realized that I am addicted. This really scares me. I called my Doctor and he did not seem concerned . He said I was probably not adicted. I told him I tried not to take the drug for one day and nearly went insane. Shaking sick feeling horrible. Then he said well maybe you are addicted. He told me to just stop taking it. But I cant the withdrawal is horrible. I need some help. Please help me. I DO NOT want to be dependent on drugs. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you, Lana
Lana,You need to ask your doctor to ween you off Vicodin over an extended period of time. Then go a couple of weeks drug (vicodin)free. If you feel you still crave the drug after a couple of weeks you need to get proffesional help. Just remember the doctor who got you into this situation by over proscribing your medication may be the last one to recommend proffesional help so you may need to get this on your own. I hope this helps you out. BUT REMEMBER THIS YOU ARE THE ONLY WHO CAN STOP AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CHOICE YOURSELF.THE FIRST THREE DAYS ARE PURE HELL THEN THINGS SLOWLY GET BACK TO NORMAL.
Lana, there is good information on this forum if look on down around Oct/Nov.  Look for Hydrocodone -- it is Vicodin.  My husband also got hooked after an accident.  When he ran out, he resorted to heroin.  He hadn't done that in over 20 years.  Hydrocodone woke the monkey up!  He quit everything cold turkey Jan. 1.  I've never seen anyone so sick.  His stomach still hurts today.  Please find a physician who will help and understand addiction.  Will pray for you tonight.
After reading several of the responses by the doctors it is obvious they know very little about how potent and distructive this DRUG is.  My wife and my mother-in-law are both addicted to vicodin.  They have been for several years.  It has only cost my wife four jobs, she has been in three car accidents (all her fault) and she is constantly depressed and miserable.  We have two kids in elementary school and I know they are being affected by this.

This drug is worse than heroin because it is legal.  All anyone has to do is go to a doctor and tell them they have a headache and they ask for vicodin and no problem, here is your prescription.  I know this for a fact from all the times I have driven her around to the different doctors as well as from all the bills we receive.  We have been in Hawaii, Northern California, Southern California. In every case she has been able to get vicodin.

Why hasn't the FDA done something.  This problem is widespread and getting bigger.  There are plenty of pain medications out there that don't have the same addictive properties that vicodin has.

As far as I'm concerned doctors are not concerned.  The prescribing of this medication means easy money for doctors. Otherwise, it wouldn't still be available.

I mean, why risk going to jail for buying heroin off the street when you can easily go to the doctor and have him hand it to you. It's just not called heroin, it's called vicodin.

I am going to check to see if the FDA has a web site that you can e-mail to.  Also e-mail your congressman and anyone else to let them know that this drug should be made ILLEGAL.
Legal? Morphine is "legal" than too. I don't see your reasoning on this. I have had my ups and downs with this drug. It is a forbidden fruit that once tasted...Anyway, the "other" pain meds you may be referring to - drugs like Ultram - that doctors freely prescribe because it does work and doesn't carry the stigma of Vicodin, are just as addicting. The truth of the matter is - there is a need for Vicodin. People use it for pain. Some responsibly, others not. Some doctors, as in my case, kept me on too long. I didn't even begin to feel any euphoria from the drug until the 3rd or 4th month I was on it. Short term is the key here. I'm sorry to hear that your wife has a problem with this drug. Do NOT help her obtain it though...I have been to different doctors - sometimes in hopes of procuring the drug. If I had been to the doctors you wife has I may have a worse problem, but I haven't found it so easy to get. Sure, there's croakers everywhere who'll prescribe to those who don't need it. But it is wrong and unjust to deprive those who get relief from this drug and use it responsibly. Just because someone uses them to get high doesn't mean that the person with a fractured leg should be forced to only have Advil. We all make our own choices whether it's legal or not.
I agree, it is wrong to depribe others of the pain killing effects of Vicodin.  I am an addict, I took vicodin for quite some time for Kidney stones, nothing else would have cured the pain.  Now I am addicted for the euphoria and the physical dependency I have.  I agree, it is not easy to get vicodin, I continually had to return for tests and prove my need about once every month.  Still I became addicted, not my doctors fault, sort of my fault, once I felt how good it was, I took it as directed on the bottle 2 every 4 hrs. (whether I was in pain or not).  Then it got out of hand.  To the tune of 15-20 pills a day (depending on what stregnth I was given) Now I suffer everyday, I haven't taken pills for about 10 days.  I want to.  But I can't.
Kim
i'm sorry phil
but you should never argue from the particular to the universal.

there are many people who do nedd pain medication
to control legitimate pain.

there will always be people who are prone to abuse certain things.
that fact should not serve as a reason to deny it to those that do need it, and do not abuse it...

i'm sorry you have been subject to the pain of addiction, and i hope you family copes well, and begins a successful recovery. however, the drug war is already out of hand. the last thing people with chronic pain need, is another means of relief banned.

regards,
matt
I was prescribed vicodin for cluster headaches.  I am now addicted to them.  I have to take them before I get out of bed so I feel good otherwise I feel sick... I cannot go to a rehab place.  I have to do this on my own.  I've kicked cigarettes by myself and crack cocaine on my own.  I have to do this by myself. Is there any literature, anything that can help me ?????
get yourself into a treatment facility quickly they work stay is atleast 3 weeks, if you live in ct. beach hill hospital is great, i know i also was addicted to vicoden, go there
lana, does your doctor still give you these, vicoden is the worst narc you can take, how many do you take? get into an inpatient treatment facililty they will help with the withdrawels by use of medication in connecticut beach hill hospital is great good luck email if you have any other guetions docket3@aolcom
I was in an accident in 9-96 and have had cronic pain ever since.
I to am addictied to Vicoden Es. I went to rehab for two weeks last year to get through the withdrawls. But because of the pain I started again. It is out of control now. I am up to 15 a day. I just cant seem to stop. I will lose my husband if he ever knew I was taking it again. If any one has suggestions on how to get through these withdrawls please let me know.
I have taken vicodin only on the weekend evenings for pain/pleasure. I now think I am addicted. I have sweats all day long every day and feel overall sick. Not any GI problems, just loss of appetite and sweats. Sometimes nausea. Do you think this is Vicodin withdrawl and if so I am stopping starting now but hopefully will this go away?  What are the long term effects of what I have done to myself from being addicted like this?
That is definately one of the withdrawl symptoms.  You might want to think about talking to your doctor.  There are some medicines that can help with the withdrawls.  Also work on tapering the medication. God bless.
Dear Lana,
you need to go to a bood store or library and get the book,
"CLEAR MIND, CLEAR BODY" right away. Drugs can stay stored in the bodies fat cells for years and this book explains this in detail and tells you the CORRECT program to do. I have myself done this program in approx. 2 weeks or so and my body feels 'CLEAN AND FREE OF ANY DRUGS" AND I HAVE NO CRAVINGS OR DESIRES FOR ANY DRUGS AND NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. good luck
I was taking hydrocodone (Vicodin) for over 3 years and have been off of them for about 3 months and are still experiencing post acute withdraw symtoms (itching, sweating and shortness of breath and random irritations all over my body). I've spoken to just about everyone on the subject including the manufacturers and no one seems to have any answers. ANYONE READING THIS WHO IS TAKING THESE MEDS FOR NO GOOD REASON SHOULD STOP IMMEDIATELY OR YOU'LL BE PAYING FOR IT FOM MONTHS. I no longer have cravings for the drugs because of what they have done to me and just want these symtoms to stop!!
I'll be running out to get that book immediately. Please advise if any off advise comes to mind.

keep on taking it, an addiction is harder to kick than to just stop using.
lana, i can not tell you how smart your are to realize this early on that you have a serious problem that there is plenty of help for! to be quite frank your doctor is a fool. in fact many doctors today still do not understand addiction. hence prescribing these narcotic pain killers ie. vicodin ect...
although doubtfully intentional these prescriptions are helping people like you and i and many others get terribly addicted to drugs.
there is help trust me. i have been through this. i was hoplessly addicted to vicodin for over two years, following a very general type of surgery. when i realized that i could not do without, i to panicked! i would do absolutely anything to get those damned pills. i became a slave. lets gets some help for you earlier rather than later! now please realize that i to tried to stop on my own, and experienced the same type of hell you did. the withdrawls are not fun, but hardly life threatening.
trying to stop on your own, all by yourself is hard and highly
undesireable. i thought i could do it, thinking i was the strongest most self-willed person alive. but that trait was not enough, and soon after my own attempt, fell back into the addiction deeper and deeper. i eventually decided to get trained help. help from people who know and understand addiction. i went to a nice center where i was put in detox. i was given the proper medication that spared me 95% of the uncomfortable side-effects. you don't need a large sum of money to do this, if you have insurance, that can help. in any case what's most important is your health. call some rehab centers in your area and do some basic research. depending on the advise of some informed proffesionals, you will be guided in the right direction.
its o.k to be scared, i was scared to death, but since have emerged a healthier drug free person. that seems to be your goal.
be patient with yourself, but please get some help. please write me if you have any more questions.
begin taking care,
david
bob, i feel sorry for you. weakness has you by the balls
begin taking care,
david
I am not surprised your doctor would have this attitude. There is a group known as 'involuntary addicts'... they were prescribed and found themselves in your predicament. Their stories and the hell they went through was very revealing. It was started by a man in sweden addicted to benzodiazepines. I saw the web site once but am sorry to tell you I did not bookmark it. But a search on Benzodiazepines may turn it up for you, which was how I came across it. Best wishes.
I have been taking hydrocodone for approx. one year I am quite determined to quit on my own I am down to a pill 10mg a day. Any other suggestions on how to quit and what to expect.
Now that I think of it I read somewhere that there were plans to start a national database program where a doctor or pharmacist could check to see if a patient had other prescriptions for addictive meds out all over the place. It would be assistive in preventing the abuses we are reading about here. I think it entailed the use of the patients social security number as the ID.. that any drug of addictive nature would have to be registered when dispensed to that number. Thus if someone has an opiate or benzo addiction it would show up in the data base that he/she have numerous prescriptions for these meds, the dates and locations and doctor names and also the reason for the script. This would alert the medical provider that they should consider what the real problem the patient has is. Has anyone heard of this ??? Sounds helpful if it can be implemented.
all of our stories are the same..back pain, car accidents, etc...my story is no different.  taking the vicoden es off and on for various reasons.  i really had no withdrawals at first.  now i only 5 left and i am afraid.  i want to stop.  when i come to the end of my supply i say...this is it.  then i get a hold of some more of those damned pills.  i have been diagnosed with endometriosis, pelvic adhesions and one of my disks is screwed up.  but i know that i am not in enough pain to be taking these things.  my ob/gyn will not give pain pills and the guy who xrayed my back did not give vicoden.  just vioxx for osteoarthritis.  i did not ask him for the vicoden, though perhaps he would have prescribed...maybe i am in for a long haul of real and imaginary pain..HELP how will i know when it is real pain or not?  can anyone give me some help...i have only 5 pills left.......
Vicodin addiction is a *****! I have been addicted for about 18 months, and all these postings I read hit home for me. Today is my first day of BIG time tapering, However I and you do not need big brother watching us, never has and never will work.
For the most part, we got our selves into this mess,(no one shoved these pills down our mouths), We CAN get our selves out of it.Not going to be easy, but 'we will survive'. (Jerry Garcia)
Pray for us all...............