Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Vitamin B12

I just had a pop-up ad on this site for vitamin B12 patches...Years ago doctors would provide b12 shots when you were "run-down" and your system needed a boost to get back on the road to recovery.  Has anyone tried B12 patches or shots to help them over the hump of withdrawal?
I take a B-Complex shot with folic acid added. I am convinced it has helped me. B vitamins, especially B-12 are very hard to digest and absorb. Especially if you are taking any kind of antacid meds.
I give myself a B12 shot weekly til i am back on my feet...withdrawal depletes alot of our b storage and we also need a good B complex like Big 50 by GNC....alcohol, drug abusers are usually found to be malnutritioned to some degree,,,,restoring the vitamins we need are a must..most heavy drinkers are deficient in magnesium...they also need the aminos to clean their receptor sites that alcohol has been hogging up for years
I used to give myself a B12 injection at work when I was having an off-day or just dragging. It works! lol

I wish I could have tried B12 injections for withdrawal considering how drained and energyless I felt... Unfortunately, as far as I know - taking B12 orally isn't much help like GoingToMakeIt says, and I didn't think about getting injectable B12 beforehand. Would be interested to know if it helps though (I would bet it does). Have no clue about how well the patches work.
I have been wondering about this too.  I would like to get a b12 shot but how do you go about doing it?  Tomorrow I see my sub dr., could I ask him?  Do drs. prescribe a b12 shot and you take it home and do it or do they do it in the office?  

One other thing, I take a multivitamin (one a day women's formula) and it has b vitamins in it but I also have a bottle of B super max formula and was wondering if I could take that along with the multivitamin or would that be too much.
b 12 shots are in vials and cheaper if prescribed im in a situation where im withdrawing from drug and alcohol and trying to detox and had my first shot so far its helped heaps i have to have another shot which is all B12 family costs $70 here in Australia but maybe worth it will let you know i was a user 6 months on and off since 2005 alcohol frequently the doctor usually injects it for u and makes you wait 10-15 minutes after at surgery in case any side effects. but i will say well worth it to anybody :-)
The B12 can be given sq with a small needle in the fatty tiessue or IM into the muscle with a inch needle...they will fill a bottle for you and you can take it weekly and give the shot to yourself or if u know nurse or something   not hard
I got curious and looked this up...

Apparently, B12 can be taken orally with no problem... and that it is an old medical myth that B12 is only effective when injected. 0_o    The myth comes using B12 in the treatment of pernicious anemia, where people genetically lack the ability to absorb it from the GI tract. In which case it's pointless to give them B12 orally and it has to be injected. For everyone else though - no problem.

There is also a nasal spray version available.

You are probably already getting enough B12 from your diet, and the excess is just excreted into the urine. So I wouldn't bother taking more than one B12 supplement but it's not likely to hurt you to take more than one.

Great, thanks for the info worried and sablezen.  I will keep ya'll updated.  Hugs!  Lyn
Thank you ...and to all who responded.....where does one get it?  (as I said, this all started due to a pop up ad on this site for the b12 patch, so I might try to order...if it is legal)   I do have an appt with my dr on Friday and will discuss it with him.  He does not know I have been off the vic for amost 3 weeks (with some hycomet for cough during that time) and am suffering ....perhaps he will perscribe some b12 to help me get thru this, and no more vikes...yeah.  Will keep you posted.
O.K,,,I went to GNC today and got liquid b12 .You take one dropperful per day...I just took it and will let you all know.  You mentioned that we are probably getting enough naturally daily and the rest would just be secreted ....so, what then does the shot do that the oral can not do, doesnt it also get secreted?  Anyway, I am anxious for anything that can help and if some of thes b12 helps, great....will let you know....Oh, also, one another question for all who have had the shots...how many cc's or ounces (not sure of measurement units) do you get in a shot?  Thank you
I just wanted to add that I am tapering off on my methadone imon 20 mg. I in the past foru days have been taking vitamin c adn vitamin b (b's) supplements ladn it has worked awesome!!  I have so much energy and feel great.  I got addicted to the rush and high methadone got me, mainly cause i was wanting to be supermom and do everything.  I take this instead of the drugs and it safe and healthy for me. I suggest anyone to do this if they have withdrawals or are feeling sluggish instead of taking more meds.
I hate to jump the gun, but I do feel better today and got a lot more done on just my first dose of b12.  Tomorrow I will double up as I read enough about this to know that I can not do damage ......and......anything that helps.  Medhelp does have posts about B12 which vegatarians use ...and ...how to go about getting it legitimately for injection.  
There is something to consider. Addicts and alcoholics have digestive systems that are in need of repair. It takes many many months to get back to normal. In the mean time, extra vitamins and minerals and amino acids can be very helpful. In fact it could be the difference between a successful recovery or not. Especially with alcoholics. Another factor affecting B 12 absorbtion is called the Intrinsic factor. If you have been using antacids or meds like Zantac, you have a lower Intrinsic factor. This will keep you from breaking down the B-12 into a usable form.