Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

What causes a Kidney Stone???

Exactly what causes a kidney stone and how do you know that's what it is?  My right kidney has been bothering me a little bit lately.  Thanks!

Trout
A kidney stone is a hard mass developed from crystals that separate from the urine within the urinary tract. Normally, urine contains chemicals that prevent or inhibit the crystals from forming. These inhibitors do not seem to work for everyone, however, so some people form stones. If the crystals remain tiny enough, they will travel through the urinary tract and pass out of the body in the urine without being noticed.
For unknown reasons, the number of people in the United States with kidney stones has been increasing over the past 30 years. In the late 1970s, less than 4 percent of the population had stone-forming disease. By the early 1990s, the portion of the population with the disease had increased to more than 5 percent. Caucasians are more prone to develop kidney stones than African Americans. Stones occur more frequently in men. The prevalence of kidney stones rises dramatically as men enter their 40s and continues to rise into their 70s. For women, the prevalence of kidney stones peaks in their 50s. Once a person gets more than one stone, other stones are likely to develop.
Doctors do not always know what causes a stone to form. While certain foods may promote stone formation in people who are susceptible, scientists do not believe that eating any specific food causes stones to form in people who are not susceptible.
A person with a family history of kidney stones may be more likely to develop stones. Urinary tract infections, kidney disorders such as cystic kidney diseases, and certain metabolic disorders such as hyperparathyroidism are also linked to stone formation.
In addition, more than 70 percent of people with a rare hereditary disease called renal tubular acidosis develop kidney stones.
I hope this helps………
I hope I m saying this right..but my understanding is that it is a build up of calcium in the urinary tract. A dear friend of mine gets them perpetually. Not pleasant.
OUCHHHHHHHHHHHH is al I have to say I have had a few , it is some of the worset pain I have ever felt ......
avis
They can be caused by a variety of reasons. The main reasons is too much calcium, and the biggest culprit is too many carbonated drinks...cokes...

I got them a whole lot when I was using.

It can cause pain in your kidneys, and it will hurt when you have to go pee, and when you do, only a little will come out. The pain will usually start in your kidneys, then move to your back, then side, and will usually double you over eventually. It can also cause nausea and vomiting.

""NOTE"""....I dont know why this works, but it worked great for me a few times. Try taking a couple of regular alka-selzers. The regular kind, in a cup of 3 to 4 ounces of water. It will dissolve the kidney stone away. Not saying this will work, but it did for me, and I have heard it has for others:)

Hope this helps!!:)
Having had too many to count, this sounds more like an infection than stone related. If you have pain extending from your kidney into regions such as the groin and or back, then indeed you may have a kidney stone. Either way, seeking treatment is a good idea, in the meantime, drinking water by the gallons water will help flush a small stone.
Kidney stones are very prevalent in the south due to the amounts of ice cream and tea we drink. The calcium in the ice cream is what most kidney stones are made of, and one of the components in tea causes the break up of the calcium and allows it to cause stones. My Grandpa had them all the time..quit drinking sweet tea and ice cream as much, and his number of kidney stones decreased dramatically.