Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Withdrawal and Klonopin.

Since I used to drink excessively I suffer from withdrawals when I drink.  The only way I can drink these days is if I take an antianxiety drug the day after I drink.  I drink very infrequently.  Anyway, is Klonopin a drug that I can just take every once in awhile after having drank?  Or is Klonopin a drug which you have to take according to a specific regimen?
I hardly ever drink and when I do it is only a beer or two at the most.  The only time I drank a lot was when I was in college.  I don't know if I became addicted to alcohol during that time which was four years ago or my body can just not handle alcohol.  Samuel
I'am a ex Herion user and right now I'm on the Methadone program. I'm just wondering what kind of damage will this drug to do me if I stay on it to long? I've been on it 2 years now and I do have problems with my digestive system (irritable bowel)constipation. My finger nails and toe nails are getting thin,plus my teeth aren't doing to good either. I don't know if the Methadone has anything to do with this,that is why I'm asking. There is one more concern,at the age of 43 I'm all so starting to put on weight and that is not good! If you can help me out here I sure would appreciate it! Do you think I should come down on my dose?, right now I'm on 70 mg,what do you think I should?
I HAVE BEEN TAKING KLONOPIN FOR THREE YEARS. I TAKE 1/2 MG IN THE MORNING AND 1 MG IN THE EVENING. I NO LONGER WANT TO TAKE THIS DRUG. WHAT IS THE BEST SUGGESTION FOR THE TERRIBLE WITHDRAWEL HEADACHE I GET FROM THIS DRUG?
Jennifer, be careful coming off this drug, my Mom did the seizure & halucination thing bad coming off of a combo of klonopin & oxycontin. I searched on klonopin & the seizures can be caused from just coming off of it. Good luck to ya!
I TAKE KLONIPEN.FOR ABOUT 5MNTHS IM A RECOVERING VICODEN ADDICT.NOW IM WORRIED IF I WILL BE ADDICTED TO THIS MEDS?? THANK YOU...TAMARA W.
Yes, Klonopin is addictive too.
I have been on klonopin for 3 years for restless leg syndrom, I was taking 2mg at night before bed, 9 months ago it quit working I think my body got immuned to it so I told the Doctor I wanted off it, so he cut it down to 1mg for 2 weeks and 1/2mg for 2 weeks then stop. I went through major withdrawal, my stomach went nuts. I went through alot for 2 weeks  couldn't even leave the house. i  went back to my Doctor he said i was having a majott anxiety attack and put me back on the klonopin. So in March he said to quit taking it again so I took 1mg for 10 days then 1/2 every other day for 10 days. It didn't work. i was off it a total of 6 days  not sleeping, head foggy, irritable, and shaky.  I called him and he said it would take 7 to 10 days to get out of my system. On the 6th night I had a major anxiety attack. So now I am back on the Klonopin 1/2mg every night before bed, I sleep now my head is foggy my jaws hurt and I still feel shaky inside and nervous. I want to go off this and will try again. I wish I new more about this before I went on it. i was told it was a safe drug to take. It worked but will I ever be the same??
Yes, you will be the same.  You must, at some point, bear with the withdrawal symptoms until they go away.  I know it is hard, but the only way to get beyond this problem is to stop the Klonipin and wait out the withdrawal.  Although it is uncomfortable it is not something you can't deal with.
So how long does it take to get off the klonopin how slow should I go?
It is hard to say how long the symptoms will last.  You can't really taper down from 1/2 milligram because even if you can break it to 1/4 it will probably just prolong the withdrawal.  I know anxiety is very hard to deal with but it won't kill you.  Perhaps your physician can prescribe Buspar to help with the anxiety.  You might want to wait the few weeks until the Buspar has a chance to work and then try to stop the Klonopin.  You might also try adding in some Valerian or Kava to assist in calming you.  Take care.  Brian

Has anybody tried to get off klonopin by using natural products analogues  such as GABA or Phenylalanine?  Any commnents?

PS: or any non-diazepam antidepressant

PS: or any non-diazepam antidepressant