Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Withdrawal and Klonopin.

Since I used to drink excessively I suffer from withdrawals when I drink.  The only way I can drink these days is if I take an antianxiety drug the day after I drink.  I drink very infrequently.  Anyway, is Klonopin a drug that I can just take every once in awhile after having drank?  Or is Klonopin a drug which you have to take according to a specific regimen?
I hardly ever drink and when I do it is only a beer or two at the most.  The only time I drank a lot was when I was in college.  I don't know if I became addicted to alcohol during that time which was four years ago or my body can just not handle alcohol.  Samuel
I'am a ex Herion user and right now I'm on the Methadone program. I'm just wondering what kind of damage will this drug to do me if I stay on it to long? I've been on it 2 years now and I do have problems with my digestive system (irritable bowel)constipation. My finger nails and toe nails are getting thin,plus my teeth aren't doing to good either. I don't know if the Methadone has anything to do with this,that is why I'm asking. There is one more concern,at the age of 43 I'm all so starting to put on weight and that is not good! If you can help me out here I sure would appreciate it! Do you think I should come down on my dose?, right now I'm on 70 mg,what do you think I should?
I HAVE BEEN TAKING KLONOPIN FOR THREE YEARS. I TAKE 1/2 MG IN THE MORNING AND 1 MG IN THE EVENING. I NO LONGER WANT TO TAKE THIS DRUG. WHAT IS THE BEST SUGGESTION FOR THE TERRIBLE WITHDRAWEL HEADACHE I GET FROM THIS DRUG?
Jennifer, be careful coming off this drug, my Mom did the seizure & halucination thing bad coming off of a combo of klonopin & oxycontin. I searched on klonopin & the seizures can be caused from just coming off of it. Good luck to ya!
I TAKE KLONIPEN.FOR ABOUT 5MNTHS IM A RECOVERING VICODEN ADDICT.NOW IM WORRIED IF I WILL BE ADDICTED TO THIS MEDS?? THANK YOU...TAMARA W.
Yes, Klonopin is addictive too.
I have been on klonopin for 3 years for restless leg syndrom, I was taking 2mg at night before bed, 9 months ago it quit working I think my body got immuned to it so I told the Doctor I wanted off it, so he cut it down to 1mg for 2 weeks and 1/2mg for 2 weeks then stop. I went through major withdrawal, my stomach went nuts. I went through alot for 2 weeks  couldn't even leave the house. i  went back to my Doctor he said i was having a majott anxiety attack and put me back on the klonopin. So in March he said to quit taking it again so I took 1mg for 10 days then 1/2 every other day for 10 days. It didn't work. i was off it a total of 6 days  not sleeping, head foggy, irritable, and shaky.  I called him and he said it would take 7 to 10 days to get out of my system. On the 6th night I had a major anxiety attack. So now I am back on the Klonopin 1/2mg every night before bed, I sleep now my head is foggy my jaws hurt and I still feel shaky inside and nervous. I want to go off this and will try again. I wish I new more about this before I went on it. i was told it was a safe drug to take. It worked but will I ever be the same??
Yes, you will be the same.  You must, at some point, bear with the withdrawal symptoms until they go away.  I know it is hard, but the only way to get beyond this problem is to stop the Klonipin and wait out the withdrawal.  Although it is uncomfortable it is not something you can't deal with.
So how long does it take to get off the klonopin how slow should I go?
It is hard to say how long the symptoms will last.  You can't really taper down from 1/2 milligram because even if you can break it to 1/4 it will probably just prolong the withdrawal.  I know anxiety is very hard to deal with but it won't kill you.  Perhaps your physician can prescribe Buspar to help with the anxiety.  You might want to wait the few weeks until the Buspar has a chance to work and then try to stop the Klonopin.  You might also try adding in some Valerian or Kava to assist in calming you.  Take care.  Brian

Has anybody tried to get off klonopin by using natural products analogues  such as GABA or Phenylalanine?  Any commnents?

PS: or any non-diazepam antidepressant

PS: or any non-diazepam antidepressant
I am happy to write I am free of Klonopin Addiction. The
withdrawal was beyond horrible. I was medically detoxed in a treatment center but continued to have withdrawal symptoms for months.I became suicidally depressed. I then made the most important decision of my life, I became a member of Narcotics Anonymous.I started going to meetings daily , and got support from other addicts. I need to take Prozac for my depression and
I also have had success with KAVA KAVA. I feel Klonopin is a highly addictive, dangerous drug- especially for people with the disease of addiction
I have been taking 5mg of klonipin a day for going on 6 years.  I was diagnosed w/panic-attack anexiety disorder, and believe me, I had it bad.  The next day....20 years of anexiety hell went away instantly.  I also tried all the SSRI's and currently am on 150mg/day of Effexor, which seems to keep my moods fairly even.  I think I can cut the klonipin use down to
mabey 2mg/day, but I "freak" when I'm out and am concerned about
liver damage from using this stuff.  But HEY....I guess I have to be on something since this panic stuff is so bad.  I have learned
this much about klonipin.....the key to reducing intake is to do it VERY gradually.  Another thing, anyone who drinks while taking this stuff is playing with fire!  It stays in your system
longer for a very long time...I would suggest anyone wanting
to get off this stuff to taper the dose by .25mg a week.  Plan
for a long tapering-off period.
I HAVE BEEN ON KLONOPIN FOR YEARS AND I HAVE TERRIBLE WITHDRAWAL  SYMPTOMS.  WHAT TYPE OF TREATMENT IS THERE?
Essentially the only way to get off the drug is through tapering the drug down slowly, giving your body time to adjust to lower dosages.  Eventually through this process you can at least decrease your withdrawal symptoms.  There is no "quick fix" and you probably will have some withdrawal symptoms.
I got down to 1/4 mg of Klonopin and I quit last Friday from there. I had been on a regimen of 1/2 mg Klonopin for at least a month. This is a medication to watch. I took it exactly as perscribed and I have to admit that I just got the craves. Went up on the boards and I am calming down. Don't know how long this will last but I need to get off this.
I was on klonopin for almost 3 yrs. I suddenly stopped taking them. there was about 3 to 4 weeks of withdraw. I still crave them, so sometimes it gets almost unbearable, but i get through. The only side affect that i feel from this is hard to describe. It almost feels like a electrical shock, in my brain and through out my body. It comes and goes, jarred feeling. Before that , i was addicted to xanax that my doctor had prescribed, that was a horrifing experience coming off that. so the withdraw of klonopin was nothing compared to that. Has anyone felt same side affect as me ?
I've been on klonopin for almost a year. I recently went from 1mg to .5mg. I started this a few days ago. I've been having bizarre dreams & stomach cramps. I was originally put on this for post partum depression & now I feel like I don't need to be on the meds anymore. I used to be addicted to cigarettes & was able to quit them. I hope I can get through this & be done with the klonopin soon. Reading other peoples stories have helped me get through this. Thanks!
i went cold turkey off of klonopin after taking for about 2 1/2 years.  I got pregnant and could no longer take it.  I have had some horrific side effects.  My anxiety it severe and all i want to do is take a klonopin.  I have been off it for 2 weeks and one day now.  Does anyone know how much longer i will have to go through this withdrawal.  I don't know how much more i can take.
I have been on klonipins for 6 yrs and have a 3 yr old...My dr. wanted me to switch over to buspar I tried it, but didn't like it. So she ended up giving me one 0.5mg of cloninpin a day...She was a very good dr. also a high risk dr. ( not that I needed one) and was at one the best hospitals in the country... I know that doesn't answer anthing to do with w/d, but maybe you can run it by you're DR. and see if they agree, I know how it is to live w/anxiety...NOT FUN!
If you've been taking klonopin that long and you stop, you're probably suffering rebound. It's actually a fairly dangerous thing and should be watched accordingly. If your blood pressure spikes to high from the physical withdrawal you can suffer stroke or heart attack. Have your doctor deal with it accordingly.
*sigh* ignore the above post by me. I had one of those *poor attention span* moments where I did some word substitution. Klonipin for clonidine. I guess I'm having a particularly difficult weekend here, and it's causing me to be distracted.
no savas..you did get that wrong...but i must strongly say it is NEVER safe to just stop taking meds like benzos, you have to gradually wean down...people who have stopped suddenly can have seizures and other problems...no one should just stop these types of drugs, its very dangerous...but savas is right about the clonidine also....lol!