Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Withdrawal from Vicodin

I've been taking about 6 Vicodin a day for over & year & now I'm out. What will the withdrawal be like? Anything I can do as far as over the counter products or easy to obtain herbal or natural remedies? Please answer fast. Thanks
Withdrawing from vicodin can be very painful as well as dangerous. If you are addicted and you want to get off it cold turkey you should look up the Thomas Recipe that is listed in this forum.  I have been on vicodin ES for a year and a half taking 8 to 10 a day.  I decided to admit that I have a problem to my doctor and she is weaning me off. This may also be a good idea for you unless you have the will power to just get off of it cold turkey.  I sure would not be able to, but I have heard of people doing it.
My doctor just started weaning me off.  What she is doing is she started me out with taking 7 vic's for 5 days, then I'll go to 6 for 5 more days, then 5, 4,3,2,1.  I hope this will work for me. This forum has also helped alot.  I'm trying to open myself up to people.  THis might help you as well.
I am also going to councilling and I'm taking ativan 2mg. for the anxiety that most people face when withdrawing.  
I wish you all the luck.  Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Thanks. What's the Thomas Recipe? I went into "search" but couldn't find it. And what does the withdrawal REALLY feel like? Thanks again.
And I just can't believe I did this to myself. My family will still love me but I just don't want anyone to know. When I get home from work today at 5:00 my husband will have cleaned the house & dinner will be ready & my little 6 year old will run to me, SO happy to see me. Where am I supposed to go in this little town where everyone knows me & I know everyone. I am in big trouble I think.
Don't be so hard on yourself.  This happens to people.  No one is perfect. I also have children.  2 little boys ages 6 and 3 who are my life.  I know how you feel.  Try not to be so hard on yourself.  I found in my life that when I tried to quit taking vicodin that I could'nt do it.  I kept it a secret from everyone.  You should try to tell someone about it.  Maybe just talking to us will help.  I come from a very good family too.  My mom is like my best friend.  I finally told her that I was addicted to vicodin.  She was very supportive.  Don't underestimate people.  I figured she would be so mad.  Does your hubby know?  THe point is that you want to get help.  
WHy do you want to quit cold turkey?
I heard that withdrawing is horrible.  You get really bad stomach cramps, insomnia, anxiety.  I heard it lasts for about a week.  It's also really dangerous to just quit vicodin cold turkey that is why I'm curious why you just want to stop cold turkey.  Help is out there.  
As for the part where you are worried about getting counsilling because you live in a small town and everyone will know you.  Look up NA.  Narcotics Anonymous.  They have closed meetings and open.  Closed meetings mean that the only people aloud in are addicts.  Open meetings mean anyone can go in.  Family, friends, ect.  YOu may want to find out where closed meetings are in your area..
I'm going to look up the Thomas Recipe for you and I'll send it in just a few minutes..
What choice do I have? It's already started. It's Sunday, I'm at work; the only one here so I can't leave; I took my last one this morning & nowhere to go to get any more, obviously. I'm expected home after work at 5; where else would I go? And back here tomorrow at 8:30. I don't WANT to but I don't see where I have an option.
P.S. Thank you. I feel just a little better telling SOMEBODY. Thank you for responding to me & caring because I AM a good person & again, I can't believe I got myself in to this situation.