Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Withdrawel

Hell-o, Life is a living hell,years of bad injuries, had to take Lortab,ect. It was so bad I made the mistake of getting on Methadone. Traded one nightmare for one that was much worse. I've gotten off methadone and went right back to Lortab 10/650, about 25 a day.I cut back to 14 a day and really want out of this nightmare but it seems the more times you quit, the harder it gets each time and cold turkey is not an option. A bullet would be better.The lower I get, the harder it is.IF I ever get off, the pain from injuries makes life unbearable. Anyone know if there is any way out? Can't take much more.I almost died from the cold turkey method.Also out of money, job, ect. Also, I wanted to say thanks, BEFORE I CRAWL OUT OF MY SKIN...Broken Bones
This is my 75th hour off loritab, it has not been easy at all and i am jonesing right now it is so hard to live drug free. I need some support to keep from hurting myself.
Broken, if you have strong pain, you may need to take the pain meds, and just work on not abusing them. Have you discussed pain management options with your doctor?

earthgirl...your post worried me. Hang in there...the first 3 or 4 days of withdrawal are the hardest, you are almost there!! Post more..tell us what you are going through. It helps. And if you are seriously thinking of hurting yourself..PLEASE tell someone, or go to the ER, talk to someone, as soon as possible.

WW
Stop trying to do this by yourself! Go into a detox facility tonight! Right now!, Go!.......why are you still reading this? Go, Go, Go.........Did I mention that you should GO?

This stuff is no joke. Please guys, get some help from a detox center. It will change your life. Sometimes we have to admit that we are not strong enough to do it by ourselves. Chad
hey people:
just wanted to let you know, there is a way thru! i've gone thru
a lot of the same stuff that both of you are feeling right now.
i also agree with Phillychad, you don't have to go thru this stuff
alone! the fact that both of you posted says that you want alter-
natives to the dead end you've found your selves in. please listen
to chad and get your selves into detox or a 72 hour suicide watch!

there are even worse places than here you are now, dead is one of
them. please don't try to do this by yourself anymore!

keep an angel on your shoulder!
kip
Broken and Earthgirl.......I know what you are going through. Actually, everyone here knows. We are all at some point of addiction. It's a living hell. Listen to the advice of these great people. They've all been there. I'm there now.  I'm in no place to give advice....I'm still seeking it myself. But I can offer sympathy. Hang in there and keep posting. It does help to know you're not alone.
Hello out there.  I have posted before & been reading this forum for about a year.  I myself am in an addiction hell, only I have went from the hydros to the oxy's and talk about withdrawal----One day and my legs and body hurt so much I wish I were dead, the shakes and shivers and sweating etc make it hard to even function.  I REALLY want to be free from these pills!!!  Any help is appreciated.  C.
Has anyone heard from Jenny?  I haven't seen her post for a couple of day's and I am worried.  Thanks a bunch guys....Susan
Please don't try to detox by yourself! It's very dangerous.
I know this might sound Hollywood,butyoga has really helped my pain,infact if I go a couple of days without doing it,the pain comes back.So maybe you could look into that when your feeling better. Good Luck,Love,Bijou....
In the last few days I've been selfish about focusing on my problems, and then I read what I came to this post for, once again people in TRUE PAIN! Wether it be in the heart or in the body.

Broken, Earthgirl, Dream87, we are all with you.

Broken I so agree with Phillyclad, Go to the detox center, But checkout how they detox you first.  Make sure it's not meth, Or find a new one if you don't want that hell.  One that deals with let's say darvon, you get tappered off of. Again we also know the phy's pain to, maybe other suggestion will help from pain mgmt doc.

Earthgirl, Please, Please don't feel alone enough to do something that drastic, Please.  We are all feeling you at this time.  Just like katie say's The people here can help with an ear or some advice and they really are special! Don't feel alone.  They just helped me out of a bad week by just listing to me and being there, even though I don't know them, they know me, because we all have this bond that ties us, weather it's pain or addiction or depression, we share a common bond that even your best friend may not understand.  And the best part is that these beutiful people don't mind being used for something, and that's nonjudgemental compassion.  Please don't feel alone, keep yourself busy, start typing it will take your mind off of things.

dream87, we are proud of your great start.  Your almost through the 2nd step, the 1st was your deccsion to stop.  Stay strong read some of other posts you might find some suggestion that will help with the withdrawls.

My heart is with you all, strength to you !!!

peace

mickytim
Just another vote of confidence to hang in there and PLEASE don't be affraid to get HELP.  Look in the phone book, many detox places also have 800#'s you can call to just talk to someone confidentially.  Call. Talk. Open up, get it out.
Durty
Everyone thank you for your support. I made it through lat night by readind step 1 and 2 in the NA BOOK THE DEPRESSION IS THE WORST. bEING BI-POLAR AND ON lITHIUM AND ZOLFOT AND rEMERON, i KNOW i HAVE TO GIVE IT TIME.  i PROMISE TO MY FELLOW ADDDICTS i WILL NOT HARM MYSELF TODAY.  i SO APPRECIATE YOUR COMPASSION.
I HEAR YOU AND KNOW THAT YOU CARE. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE AND HOPE WITH ME.  iS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I COULD BE DOING TO HELP MYSELF?  i STOPPED TAKING THE ATIVAN, IS IT TO SOON FOR THAT?
hey....its Kristen.....I'm here...send me an email if ya want to to ***@****

I know what your going through....detoxing sucks so bad....but hang in there, it gets better....let me know whats up and maybe I can encourage ya.....love ya...kristen
Hi earthgirl..I don't know about the ativan..how much were you on? I do know that it is important to taper off ativan, it can be very dangerous to go off it cold turkey.  I think you are being very hard on yourself if you try to go off opiates as well as the ativan all at once!

How are you doing today?

love,
WW
I'm so sorry you guys are in so much pain....I've been there and its hell.....if you want to talk on AOL IM you can message me at cnjsmom1111 and maybe talking through some stuff will help....life is definately better on the other side and anyone that wants it bad enough can do it....you came to the right place, this forum.  I have had the greatest love and support from these guys on here....just get everything off your chest and we'll all be here for ya.....we've all been through hell too.

WW, how are you doing girl?  I've been thinking about you and wondering how your doing.  My boyfriend broke up with me over e-mail last week, so I've been grieving ALOT, wanting to "NUMB" ....is there any way we can talk through regular email?  If so, send me something at ***@****  Thanks for all your support...hope your on top of the world!!!!

Hang in there everyone and thanks for being here.....love, kristen
Man, I know just where you're at. I have severe injuries; back, pelvis, femur, ankle, wrist, arms, and I'm on a maintenance dose of oxycontin (100 mg twice a day). For a long time I beat myself up because of being on an opiate. Why? Because the War on Drugs and incultration said so, that's why. No good reason. I really needed the drug in order to live pain free.

Finally, it occured to me that damnit, If I was going to have any kind of life, I had to have the drugs. The trick was not abusing them. So I didn't. Wasn't easy at first, but over time it became easier and easier. Now I'm on a stable dose, I don't fool around with taking any more than is prescribed and I'm in good shape. I get to have a life relatively free from pain, can got to work and perform like I need to, go fishing on the weekend, and in general have a normal life.

So I gave up trying to get off the drug; accepted that I was one of millions who required it to have a life; accepted that in the War on Drugs, I was not one of the enemy. I'm one of the guys that the medical profession wants to help have a life as long as I'm not playing games always trying to get more drugs just for kicks (I dropped them in the sink; I dropped them overboard; the dog at them; martians landed in my back yard and stole my prescription; the druggist's assistant ate my entire prescription, etc., etc.) I show up on schedule, get my script, take it as prescribed, go about my business having a life. You can do it too.

What you CAN'T do is detox from opiods based on your own solitary will power. Can't be done. And even if you could do it, what would you do about the pain? Endure it until you descended into a chronic pain depression and then seek treatment for that?

WHY BOTHER? Those drugs are there for you use when they're the only way you can have a reasonable expectation of leading a normal life. Go for it. A hundred years ago, you'd just be left for dead. Now you've got a chance for life. Take it.

All this in my humble opinion, of course.

Francois
From broken bones, Wow I couldn't believe how many people responded from yesterday post. I feel too bad to write much, pain and withdrawl. I am still cutting down, slowly. It REALLY helped just knowing people listen.One detox center wanted 28 thousand dollars, and it would still be cold turkey, hell I could get a brain transplant for that much. I would need one if I was stupid enough to pay that much for cold turkey method........But talking to you guys really has helped. If I feel good enough later today, I would really like to write to KRISTEN, I think she is having some of the same problems that I am.....Not just the drugs.....Anyway, thanks again (everyone)I feel a little better reading your letters....GOT to go (to see if I can break another bone! Ciao BROKEN BONES
Hi everyone,
I'm having a hard day! My back pain is really bad today, hubby went to a barbeque with our friends that I wanted to go to, but am in too much pain to go along.  And, at the same time, the mental cravings to use are hitting me today..the addiction demon is beckoning. So I logged on to get support from the Forum, and lo and behold, I feel much better and got the strength to ignore the demon. I am also re reading my journals from the withdrawal week, and remembering the hell..rereading the parts where I wrote to myself, saying "read this again when you are tempted to try to use just a little, and remember how it sucked your soul away from you".

I knew this part would come. Some of you might wonder why I choose to not use the meds since I do have high pain. I would never tell anyone with pain to do what I've done, but I tried to use appropriately and failed, repeatedly, and I think that the pain I have is not nearly as high as some of the other folks in our Forum Family with chronic pain, like Skipper, Angelica, Francois..and forgive me if I am forgetting anyone...Cindi you have chronic pain too if I"m not mistaken?

Broken, and earthgirl..I do hope you've made it ok through the weekend, and hope you've gotten the help and support you deserve and need!

My heart and hope is with all of you, and I thank you for being here to get me through my first "craving" day.  

love,
WW
oh Katie...my thoughts are with you...and I'm sending you TONS of healing energy and strength. I am still off work, lying down with my laptop, and am able to be online a lot, so please feel free to email me..***@****  

Anything I can do to help you get through this, I'll do.  

I remember when my first day of withdrawals, one of the hardest parts was not knowing what to expect..the dread of "how bad is this really going to get"?   Have you gotten some brand name Immodium AD?  That will help a lot when the diarhea hits.  

Stay glued to us..and please know you are not alone.

You can do this!

love,
WW
Well I went 27 days, messed up and took some pills....but i stopped..I DO NOT want to go through that detox EVER again....I'm in so much emotional pain....My boyfriend broke upwith me and hasn't called in 5 days....I called once, but he never returned it....I feel so alone and hate life...I took about 20 lortabs within a 3 day period....and dont have any more, and have no desire to get more....they actually didn't even do anything for me except make me sick to my stomach...

Thanks for being here everyone....
ok folks. This morning I took my last 5 lortabs. (yes all at once.I thought of spacing them out but decided to swallow them all) That was at 8:00am...now it's almost 6:00pm. I'm clammy. I'm cranky. I have no energy. Oh boy. Here we go again. Guess it's time for the "cold turkey recipe." I don't have any valium yet but I did get some "kava kava root" and will try that and hope I can sleep thru some of this. I already dread waking up tomorrow morning. Waking up and knowing I have no lortabs to get me thru the day is a depressing thought. Guess I'll keep checking back here for moral support. By the way....why is it so hard to post a new comment? Grrrrrrrrrr. Guess I'll go dig in the bottom of my purse.....ya never know! I've found 1 or 2 pills there before! Wish me luck, ya'll. It's gonna be a long night.
This is a tough weekend for all, it is the last weekend before the weather turns colder and those of us chronic pain people will be scambling by November to find a solution like that 1 pill that will heal us all, that doesn't exist.

I to am feeling this pain and the pain that I can't take just 1 pill, but have to take them all If I have them.

WW, standing next to me is my x who is trying to tell me that this was a problem that could have been controled If I was a strong person, or we were strong enough people, see the difference in why I talk to all of you.  Sometime its so hard to deal with the people who just can't seem to understand what true pain or addiction is, without insulting us.  

It's funny cause I don't wish this on my worst enemy.  Stay strong tommorow, all the positve thoughts in the world to you, from us.

Broken, earthgirl, katie, and kristen, We could'nt be with you in person, but we are dam sure with you in spirt.  Like the football song says fight, fight, fight, and just know we are here, and have been there, It is a tough battle on all fronts I will survive even though as you see from my x, I'm not a strong person.  Guess that why she's my x.  

Sending you all, energy and strength to get through today and everyday!

Peace

mickytim
IT IS MONDAY A.M. 3:OO AND I CAN'T SLEEP. I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECKIN AND TELL YOU THAT IT IS DAY 5.  i WAS OONLY USING THE ATIVAN A FEW TIMES A DAY ALONG WITH A VALIUM IF I HAD ONE FOR DETOX.  IT FEELS LIKE IT IS GONNA BE A LONG DAY.. THE GOOD THING I WANTED TO PASS ON IS THAT I HAD A FRIEND OF MINE WEAN ME QUIICKLY FROM 20  PILLS TO 6, 5, 4, 2. THAT SEEMED TO BE EASIER ON MY BODY THEN IT HAS IN THE PAST.  i KNOW THAT WITHOUT YOUR LIFELINE HERE AND MY FRIEND I COULD NOT HAVE MADE IT.  BLESSING TO ALL OF YOU FOR A SAFE DAY. LOVE, ME
It sounds like you're in the classic vice: you have chronic pain for which you need narcotic painkillers but you're also addicted to your source of pain relief and can't stick to a strictly therapeutic dose. I was in the same situation when I blew a disk out in my back. My orthopedic surgeon couldn't understand why I needed so many vic es'. What he didn't know was that I was getting them from two other doctors AND and I was calling in my own scripts at the same time -- that's how bad my habit was. I can tell you this: after you've detoxed from the vics (or Lortabs, same thing), if you can stick to a normal dose of the stuff, you will get relatively normal pain relief from them. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. The greatest challenge is sticking to that prescribed dose. After detoxing, you'll want to "reward" yourself by taking a big dose "just this once." Of course, once you do this, you're right back in the **** again and might as well have never detoxed at all.

For what it's worth, I'm going to re-print my cold turkey detox recipe for Lortabs (yes, with the right combo of drugs and non-drug therapies, you can detox yourself from this drug). I know, because I developed this formula in order to detox myself from a seventy-five (yes, 75) vicodin per day habit. So, here it is. If you're going to do it, follow it to the letter or it won't work. The one rx drug you'll need to make it really work is some kind of benzo like valium, klonopin, librium, xanax, ativan, etc. So, if you have any relatives that can help you out with one of these drugs (or a doctor, of course) the benzos wll help make the results much more successful ... but if you can't, the recipe can still work ...

Here's my tried-and-true do-it-yourself "cold turkey" detox protocol.

Supplies you'll need first:

As many Valium, Xanax, Librium, Ativan or Klonopin as you can get your hands on.

--- first day off the opiate, use enough Valium or whatever, to, if possible, sleep through most of the first couple days. Then start decreasing the dose until you're down to nothing in about 5 or 6 days. You'll have to do the math. The Valium or one of its sister drugs will help tremendously with the anxiety and, somewhat, with the body aches. Valium may make you eat like a pig and, when withdrawing from narcotics, one usually craves sweets, so I'd be ready to indulge myself with lots of treats, along with some good escapist movies to take your mind off of evrything. That always worked for me.

VERY IMPORTAT: Around-the-clock access to either hot baths or a Jacuzzi.

--speaking of those goddamn thigh cramps that seem to love to show up in the middle of the night, have that hot bath or Jacuzzi at the ready. Don't hesitate to spend the majority of the week in that hot water if that's what it takes to get you through it. You may be wrinkled, but you'll have your sanity. Don't underestimate what the hot baths can do to relieve the withdrawal discomfort. They really, really work. Heating pads between the thighs can help with those cramps, too, but not nearly as much as the hot baths.

Brand-name-only Imodium (over the counter at the supermarket. Don't ak me why, but the brand name just works better.)

-- if you're a normal Lortab/Vicodin addict, you'll be getting the runs by no later than the second or third day off the lortab. In my experience, it's an especially unpleasant variety. At the first impulse, take two or three Imodium and respond to returning urges with two tabs. It's important that you do it at the slightest rumbling from your guts. Immodium is also an opioid class drug and, even though it's action is mostly confined to that part of the brain that affects bowel motility, I noticed a slight relief from the overall withdrawal feeling when I took the Imodium -- just don't overdose on the stuff thinking it will relieve all the withdrawal symptoms - it won't - it will just constipate the hell out of you at very high doses. Stick to the dosages I recommended.

Now, this is very important to short- and long-term reovery - I can't emphasize this one enough:
L-Tyrosine [NOT L-Lysine] (qty 50 of the 500mg caps) - an amino acid freely available at the health food store. Costs about 12 bucks a bottle.

WHY?
Chronic use of narcotics depletes the brain of several critical neurotransmitters responsible for well-being and mental performance and attitude.
Plus:
Bottle of 100 mg B6 caps (the B6 helps the L-Tyrosine be absorbed)
Plus, high-potency magnesium and zinc suplements. You may have to buy each in separate pills.

My experience detoxing with L-Tyrosine says take 4000 (four thousand) mg. (8x500mg caps of L-Tyrosine) with two 100mg B6 caps along with your zinc/magnesium supplement every day for your "detox week" to provide your brain with the raw material it needs to replenish its stores of these neurotransmitters. Many feel the difference on the very first dose. (I did, big time!!) ***Take it on an empty stomach, either first thing in the morning or at bedtime. You can continue this regimen after the first week if it continues to make you feel good. I continue to use L-Tyrosine every other day with very few exceptions, although now I cut my dose to 1500 mg of L-Tyrosine. I cut down on the dosage beause it can cause the runs at high doses. But for your first week, you need the high dose of L-Tyrosine and should just put up with the runs. It only happens once after each dose (if it happens at all) and it's not the "buring runs" that you get from withdrawal. It also happens within the first hour and won't return, so it's something you can plan on. Also, the Imodium justight cancel out the runs, anyway. So, it's livable at least for that first week. Besides, the L-Tyrosine will make you feel so damn good so quickly, you won't care! You'll be looking forward to your morning L-Tyrosine dose, believe me! L-Tyrosine will make you feel alert without being nervous, peaceful without feeling sedated, and just generally GOOD, despite the withdrawal. It's truly THE discovery of opiate withdrawal therapy.

Multi-vitamins (most junkies don't eat too well, so this one's just for good sense).

Acording to some literature, you also need to add copper, phosphorus and Vitamin C to fully complete the dopamine, norepinephrine converson. You might have to do some hunting at the health food store to find the right vitamin or vitamins to supply all this stuff. Health food stores generally care multis that, instead of carrying every vitamin known to an, carry instead all the "metals" we need such as copper, Magnesium, zince, phosporous,etc. I esily found a multiple that contained large doses of zince, magnesium, copper, vitmamin C and lots of other things for very little money. In any event, I got a VERY good result from just the L-Tyrosine and B6 alone. Don't let any difficulty finding the whole laundy list of minerals and metals stop you fro using the L-Tyrosine and B6 -- it works like gangbusters anyway!

By the way, the zinc and magnesium tip was supplied by a contributor to this site called "pillpoppa" who cliamed it was the magic formula for recovering from long-term methadone use, so it sounds like an important part of the fromula for you in particular. Even though I never used methadone, I was using this multiple with large doses of zinc and magnesium (without realizing it) and, at first, I couldn't figure out why I felt so good so quickly after stopping the Lortabs. The I realized I was getting all that zinc and mag with my multiple! Pillpoppa's formula really does work, my friend. So, don't skip any of the instructions I've given you here. Add it up, and it doesn't cost as much as a visit to the doc for a big fat Lortab rx! Remember: all the details of my recipe are necessary to complete recovery. Then, just will yourself to stick as close to the prescribed dose as you can for your pain and, hopefully, you're home free!

WARNING: Avoid L-Tyrosine if you're on an SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) such as Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, all those kinds of psychiatric mood elevators, etc.

If you have any questions or just want to talk today, I'm enjoying a rare chance to use my PC all day today and will answer you as fast as I can. Remember, despite what the goaddamn doc might like you to believe, you haven't done anything wrong. You're a normal, decent human being who's fallen into the trap these modern medications have set for us all. You're not alone, Broken, and will never be alone as long as you come to this site. Believe me, we've ALL been where your at. We understand you and accept you and will support you through your trials. Lean on us if it helps. That's what we're here for.

Your friend,

Thomas