Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

cincee

it has aslways seemed to me whenever i used everything in my life would go wrong, when i used  i would get flat tires every week.
when i used i got arrested at least 50 times' for things that i was not even part of doing.
i think they call it murphy's law , well it always had a strangle hold on my life ,whenever i  did drugs.
I somtimes thought it was my father praying for me, so i
would say to him stop praying for me , i crashed my car,
lost my job and broke my ankle  that week.

there is the other side of this story, once i started on the
road of staying clean the oppisite happened, everythin that could go right did, instead of spending my money on drugs,
and buying 5 dollar tires at the junk yard  i, bought sears steel belted raidels and never got a flat agian.
i never got arrested agian, inever lost my job agian,
i got custdy of my kids, ect, ece,
when i got clean and went to meetings it was like i was invisible
to the cops, and invisible to bad things coming my way.

i am writing this because  cincee posted that the only na meeting she could find was i the bad lands,in her town
and she would not go there unarmed, well my experence
has always been ,whenever we make that effort or surrender to
go to meetings , we seem to be invisible to trouble.
i grew up in the bad lands in philly so i understand her concern.
when ever i went back to the badlands to start meetings
or attend them i was a little leary but nothing ever happened.
CINCEE -call the na hotlone and ask , there are a lot of meetings not listed , talk to smeone sbout ,in your area.
You are such a refreshing optimist!!  I can hear the 12 Promises reasonating throughout your post.... I have to admit, I AM skeptical---I can't imagine just being in this program will allow me to " intuitively know how to handle situations"  or that I " will never face financial difficulties again..." I WANT to believe, but I just think there are a LOT of idiots out there who will never have a brain in their head, no matter WHAT!!!  And  those that were terrible w/ money will STILL be poor managers, sober or not!!  Am I too cynical?  Too literal? I would love to think I can look forward to all those things, but it seems like such a Pollyanna viewpoint to me.  Please, Hippy----tell me your secret to letting yourself lose your skepticism.  I AM working my program and have a sponsor and go to meetings.  I'm just getting ready to do Step 9--AAACCKKKKK!!!!!!  Perhaps I just need more time in the program.Peaz
Hey,

Wheter it's AA or NA....

THose promises come true!

Funniest thing is, I always worried about the cops getting me (Pulling me over while Dunk or high, etc...)

Now, I can't WAIT, and the sons' of ******* don't even SEE me! Just like you said, Hippy.

I mean I still do SOME stupid things, like drivng WAY too fast sometimes, but i guess I'm stuck with that "Invisible serenity" - We've talked about that very subject at my home meeting MANY times.....

Good luck....
And, Hey.... "All we are sayin' ...is give Peaz a chance!"

O.K. -- not very punny, but hey, I'm SOBER on a Monday morning at work.... What do y'all expect. Huh?!

Jess

Hey, what fabulous typing.

I'm tempted to just leave it at that.

My other big issue about meetings is that I'm not ready to be recognized.  Can't I be sober without telling the whole world?  Please?

I only brought it up that day because I was a little lonely and wished I could just talk to someone who was fighting the same battle.
I have been waking up at night worried about you.  Please tell us your story today.
You know... I USED to have a problem with that whole recognition issue too...

But, I'll tell you what. Everyone in those rooms are people with egos just like YOU have. We don't LIKE the fact that we're addicts or alcoholics! Why would anyone "Tell" on YOU --when if somebody hypothetically said to me, "Guess who's in Narcotics Anonymous?"... My answer wouldn't be, "Who?"

My answer would be: (knowing that the only way that the person could really KNOW if someone else is IN NA/AA is to be AT a meeting), "Oh, you're in NA.. Good for you."

See....
Jess
well, as far as managing money that is a job for a pro.
but i went to live with my father whhen i was 12 and he was and is a aa member, i watched him talk to people and give advice when asked, anyone who listened to him are did well and life was good for them and still is if they are alive , that was 30 years ago, my father has 37 years sober in aa.
very few people who did it there way never made it,.
so as for myself , i am a na member, and i have found that the nore you give the more you get.
getting ivolved wuth a home group  is vital, just stopping at a meeting here and a meeting there  like the lone ranger ,dose not give ya a chance to get to know people, and relationships
wiht other recovering addicts is a big part of the recovery process, a sponser who knows what is up  is important.

i traveled around the country tring to find the people who wrote
the na basic text, because i was not going to meetings if i was not giong to learn who to work it. i did not like meetings or the people for the longest time ,  but something that sticks
out in my mind is  GO THE EXTA MILE, to help others, i made the coffee at my 1st home group for 2 years
i started about 100 meetings during the 80's and 90's when i 1st started back in 84 there were only 10 meetings, and we were were imeshed with aa, and group therpy, so that took a couple years to straiten out.
But I HAVE heard gossip about meetings before.  And in-patient detox, too, where supposedly trust is everything.  It's been from someone who's relapsed.

And I'm not even ready to be recognized by other addicts.
how the heck do you post a question on this site
Hey, where are ya this morning to tell me what day I'm on??
There's no football today is there;)
Good morning glam queen lol It must be day 9 for you cause it's 10 for me.No football today,just appts. with dentist and shrink lol.Did you have a good weekend? When is your sis coming?

pixi
OMG, it's tomorrow.  I had kinda put it outta my mind, but I am going to have to get busy today.  (putting away the good silver,etc.)  At least I don't have any drugs to hide;-)

Oh, my neck hurts just thinking about it!!!
Will,you be my friend?Please pick me for your team? lol im in a fog,forgot how you said you were doing today......oh yeah not at your best huh?It will get better!It has too.i hope your day gets better.

pixi