cold turkey

Hi i need some help an advice. My long term partner told me just after xmas that he'd been smoking herion after his best friend an partner in crime confessed all to his wife. I had already susspected this for some time after finding dirty pieces of tin foil etc. I was made to feel like i was going mad an imagining things. Any way it stopped for a while an he did his turkey an was fine.At the beging of december i gave birth to a beautiful baby girl,a week later he was back smoking herion again hangin out with the boys who i suspected 2 of them were dealers which i know now are.It was to readly available all our cash was being smoked away.Things got worse an he was dashing out of the door at six in the morning for a hit before starting work at half seven another hit at dinner an a big one before comming home leaving him sat in the chair with it but not with it if you know what i mean.Things come to a head a few weeks ago when he started coughing up blood an our little boy asked why he was so sick in the morning when he got up an why he had to go out all the time. He is now gone cold turkey as i type this i can hear him thrashing about as this time the withdrawl is a hell of alot worse i suppose it would be going from 6 bags a day to nothing. HOW DO I HELP HIM WITH HIS WITHDRAWELS THIS TIME?????  WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT??????? WHAT CAN I DO???????????  ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
all i can say is be supportive. he is going to have severe flu symptons..maybee up to 2 weeks or as few as one week. 6 bags is a lot a day
Helpful - 0
Just draw him some baths, don't let him out of the house or he will try to score.  I wish you lots of luck, I will be thinking about you.
Helpful - 0
If I may ask, why cold turkey? Have you explored other alternatives? Have any clonodine?
Helpful - 0
check out the health pages here on the forum for the thomas recipe.  get the ingredients for it.  it helps alot. also get him some bananas to help replace the potassium he has lost.  also immodium ad for the  stomach issues.  hot baths with epsom salt is great.  Nd heating pad for the rls, or an electric balnket.  also insure and gatorade.  he can do this.  its hard, but you wont die from w/d.  see if you can get him to read here on the forum.  its always good to know you are not alone.  keep posting.  if i can help you in anyway, just pm me.
cathy
Helpful - 0
Hi answer to your question he didn't want to carry on as he was an believes going cold turkey will be faster to do as he is on a waiting list to see a drug counceller an there is a long waiting list.I must admit no i dont think he has looked at alternatives apart from subutex but this is all new to me so not sure really what to ask where to go!!!! what is clonodine if you dont mind me askin????
Helpful - 0
I was addicted to that horrible stuff for 8yrs. Your partner will be feeling horrible just now, the best thing you can do is be supportive.  Everyone on the forum is right though, hot baths will help with aching bones and muscles. Electric blanket will help the restless legs (rls) and bananas will provide potassium. These will help to an extent. I also went cold turkey, not the nicest feeling in the world but he CAN do this.............i did it and i never thought i would get off that horrible drug. I wish you and your partner all the best.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community