Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

does prosac help with an addicts depression.

i was wondering about the depression addicts go through,
and if prosac is an option that works, also is there anyone who has taken meds for this type of depression
and what is there experence.
i have read so much about how  drugs have a negitive effect on our brains, and how there may be some damage.
my personal experence is that the depression go's away
within a year after we stop useing,
but i have found that the winter months have brought about a pretty strong depression even after being clean for 5 and 10 years.

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
TY Phil and Cindi for making us able to post 2 quesiton!
Hippeee...hugs to you hon!
Suzie
The anxiety/depression is the worst for me, much worse than any physical pain.

I seem to have bouts of anxiety, followed by depression, but I can tell you this; The three worst days of my life were when I tried Prozac, paxil, and then remerol for these symtpoms.

They seemed to amplify the symptoms. I am sticking with excercise, positive thinking, and the very occasional Klonopin for the tough anxiety days.

Hoping these are fewer and fewer as the days away from drugs grow. I sometimes have the "what's the point of life" type feeling, but know that is just a lie. The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. IMO, if I am not doing that, and reminding myself of that, I should not be suprised when i get that pointless feeling.

As my doc always says, "its great to get off the pills, but you have to replace it with something". I have been exercising and spending time with my family, more Bible study and Tennis on my good days. Hope this helps.

In God's Grace

Rex
Meant last post to Michael/Everyone...

Rex
I am in terrible pain now.  My head.
Suzie
Sorry to hear that, what are taking and in what amounts?

Rex
Hey, I hope and pray you are doing better my friend.

Rex
I am taking ultram and ibuprofen.  Watching for rebound so cant take it everyday.  I am hurting so bad i cry and crying fricken make s it hurt worse!  This reminds me of why i originally went on the stadol!  I cannot take this day in day out.  
I am supposed to take my daughter skating in an hour.
Suzie
Will pray for you dear. Hang in there. Think outside of yourself - try to focus on other things.

I get constant headaches, but a few excedrin always get me out of it. Can you go the ER and get something to help?

Off to church but will be back later...

Rex
Rex,
  My wife's doc said zoloft should be in the drinking water. after heart by-pass. Zoloft helped a lot. I'm so pitiful when I cry especially when I look in the mirror at poor old pitiful me.
To All  Look for "IN Touch" Charles Stanley in your cable guide.You'l quit dragging around all the guilt from the past.  PS If anyone comes up with a way to undo what we've done in the past. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. and don't tell me to fly backwards around the world like Superman. I think I did that one night.
   B'Belt

Look for Joyce Meyer  you will be blessed.
They gave me toradol for my headaches and within 20 mins they are gone. Maybe they would work for you..You can get an injection at drs. too.Ill be praying my friend...  J.E.W.
Well I actually took prozac for 3 years the inital year or two it helped tremendouly with depression but just like everything else your body will develop a tolerance. It is non addictive however I was taking it more for obssesive compulsive disorder. I used to be a real clean freak and after a couple of months taking it I actually almost turned into a slob. Also it will initially surpress your appetite I lost 30 pounds the first two months I liked that. I wish I could take it now for the depression but it does not work for me. It may help you though just remember it won't make you feel better immediatly give it a few weeks and you will probably notice a difference, just don't give up! Man do I have a bad head ache actually for the last couple of days and I can't take anything for it that stinks!
Hope everyone is doing ok today :)

Michele
Read last post to Rex. Zoloft has least side errects. No immediate results .I'd say 10 days. No high, no buzz, but you don't sweat the small stuff and Susie dear, you won't cry as much. Can get samples from docs to try for a month or so.
    Doc B'belt   I'll bet my wife would have left long ago without zoloft. She should have. Plus she has a lot of love.
Go tp GOOGLE.com and type in your drug. Tons of info. best search engine I have found. I'm proud of you for your progress . Be proud of yourself. Is there anything you can keep down  Tomato soup,etc?
   B'Belt   Your body is wanting to rid you of something can you flow with it? is Nausea present? if so take something for that  suppository phenegan probably best.
  Praying for your victory,
    B'Belt
Hi, fellow Compulsive!  I am on Celexa and that has helped with the crying.  I am still using, 10-12 norco 10/325 a day is what they are prescribing me, just had nerve surgery.  But not being able to clean, too high a dose of neurontin made me either so giddy that I would be bouncing off the walls or so sad I was laying on the floor sobbing.  They knocked my neurontin down to 300mg twice/day and put me on the Celexa.

I have been on Zoloft, Prozac, Ascendin, Elavil (not all at the same time!) in the past and they don't work right away, but I felt immediate relief from the Celexa.  No more headache, no more compulsion, and best of all, NO FOG.

Good luck~Connie
Thanks I will look into that. I am having so much anxiety now I don't now what to do with myself. Especially when I wake up in the morning. My hands get tingly, and I start rocking back and forth this drives everyone crazy, but I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. I don't like benzos since they make me so tired and I really hate that feeling. Do you know of anything that I can do to make me feel better when I feel so anxious? I have to breathe into paper bags sometimes just to calm down, if it wasn't for the anxiety I would probably be doing ok. Any info would help tremendously.

Thanks,
Michele
I was on prozac for a couple of years for depression.  It takes awhile for it to work, but it did help me.  On about the third year I got off, wasn't depressed anymore. (that was while I was still on meth, not when I was detoxing.)

Sharon
Before I met opiates, I took paxil 20mg to help control the depression that my arthitis pain caused. It also decreased the number of arthritis flare ups.  After becoming addicted to opiates and then going clean, the depression was huge.  I met with a shrink who diagnosed me with OCD (mostly the obsessive part.)  They increased my paxil to 40mg to help the OCD which it did tremendously, apparently a higher does need to treat the OCD - they say 40-80mg.  Anyway, it really helped the depression that the opiates caused after becoming clean.  I have found it to be a tremendous help.  But everyone is different.  I would suggest speaking to your doc about it, it really can't hurt to give it a try.  Key is to give it some time as most SSRI take weeks/months before you get the complete benefit from them.  
Take car Mr Hippee.
Nod
Oh, Honey, you're having a bad panic attack, aren't you?  Can you get into the doc tomorrow?  If not, just go ahead and get thee to the ER today.  You have to bust this attack and make it go away or your little heart is gonna have some damage from all that adrenaline.  Does taking a nice bath help?  Are you married, can your husband give you a massage and calm you down?

You need quiet, dark, calm.  You CAN get through this Michelle.  You will make it.  it's just that old nasty anxiety that is rearing it's head.  It's trying to show you how powerful it is, but you ARE stronger.  I believe in you, Michelle.  You are a wonderful person.  I have read your posts, and only a caring, loving person could write those beautiful words.  You fight that Panic attack back with all the love from everyone here, Sweetie.  All of us, the lurkers, the regulars, the sometimers, we are all here and sending our positive energy your way.  Can you feel it?  It is warm, fluffy and light yellow.  Give that love physical attributes so you can see it through the panic.  Michelle, can you feel your power growing?

Do you want to call me collect?  Or email me?  I'll stay with you.  I have been in your shoes so many times, hon, and I am still here.  You always get to win, Michelle, ALWAYS.  That is one of the rules of panic attacks, the human always gets to win.  You hold on to that, ok?  509-734-2485.

***@****

write me back so I know to get off the computer and man the phone, ok?

We love you.   Connie
I've never been on them, but what I understand is the newfangled selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitor drugs (SSRI), like paxil, prozac, are only of use if one has a seratonin deficit. Despite this, they appear to be blanket prescribed. My guess is that there is a placebo effect going on with them, people simply feeling better becuase they believe the drugs are helping. I could be wrong, but this is what I have gathered.

They told me that I needed to be on SSRI anti-depressants if I was going to stay clean (a reputable treatment facility said this to me, over the phone, when I had about a month clean). They said that I would use again, for sure, because of my long-term history of opiate abuse. They were full of ****. At least so far. It's been almost 9 months, and I am not depressed, and I am clean. My advice to anyone who does not have a history of clinical depression: Give it at least a few months of clean time before you decide to go on that stuff. I had taken enuff pills to last a lifetime already, didn't want to be altered or dependent on anything anymore, and haven't needed to.
Regarding your question about prozac: My personal experience - I've always had a melancholy nature, thinking sad thoughts and worrying too much about things I couldn't control. When my son was born 15 years ago, my biochemical inclination plus post-partum depression made me feel sad beyond comprehension. It's hard to explain; the best way I can is just to say you feel paralazed emotionally with no joy for life. My OB put me on prozac in '87 - and within a few weeks I actually felt like I could function again. Stayed on prozac for years...long story short - for some reason in '01 my internist took me off prozac and put me on paxil. In hindsight, I realize now in the short period of a year, my emotions see-sawed and within this time is when I got addicted to vicodins. Not really sure if there was a connection - but, I changed jobs (different insurance that Dr. didn't take) - just quit paxil cold turkey without thinking anything about it. I've since read about the symptoms that go with quitting paxil without tapering off of it.  The last year I've suffered addiction, depression, pain - you name it.  I started back on prozac recently, and I can really feel the "fog" lifting again. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably be on this the rest of my life.  Plus I've been supplementing with different amino acids and vitamins (see post several threads below).  This has honestly reduced my cravings for vics and alcohol plus I actually feel "just a little" natural energy again.  Sorry to ramble on so long.  Hope all with depression realizes (IMO) that it's usually a bio-chem thing that can be treated; left untreated, I think is what makes one so vulurable to relaspes and such.  Think of it as being "chemically challanged"....smile   Love you all, Lisabet
Hey pretty girl - I'm so sorry to see you suffering so bad - headaches are the ultimate *****.  I looked in my "natural remedy" book about headaches and they suggested lots of B-Complex. The best is the liquid drops you can get at GNC. Take about 4-6 droppers a day, along with lots of water.  (Although remedies are like pasta, you keep throwing it at a wall, sometimes it actually "sticks")...smile.  Just a suggestion - couldn't hurt to try it. Love ya, Lisabet
Are you using ultram again? Sorry to ask .... but I thought you quit. Can ultram be used on an "as needed basis"?? I am tapering and my hands have been hurting. Now I am remembering why I needed pain meds to begin with .... I am very stubborn, so I will complete my taper and eventually get off this tramadol. I hope I can find something to use once in a blue moon .... if I am in really bad pain. I don't want to project ... so I'll just think positively .... have you tried Imitrex for the headaches? What is causing these headaches? Hope you feel better .... G
Good morning all, hope your weekend was good. Let's all have a good week, help each other and continue to win the small battles. Stay positive, don't get down if you slip a little and keep trying! thanks to all of you!

teeitup!
Hey guys...I'm back. My fiance & I went to San Diego for the weekend. Had to get away. Feeling better but not much. Thanks for caring.

Fleet...On one of your posts you signed it "Finished." Can you please be careful with that. The reason I ask is because in the past there was a problem with people using several "handles" & I don't want people thinking it's happening again. Thanks.

FINISHED!!