getting off suboxone

hello, im a 5 yr op addict recently on suboxone 16mgs a day...after reading upon it i want off....plz hlp...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello, how long have you been on suboxone? What plan has the doctor suggested to you? From what I understand some doctors put you on it short term and taper until you're off, while others keep you on it for a while as maintenance. Why do you want to stop? Is it not helping you, is it making you sick? Do you still crave the opiates? Sorry for so many questions.
Helpful - 0
Don't listen to everything you read. The only people that wrote on here about suboxone and there bad experiences did not do well with it. All those who did and trust me there's alot aren't here anymore posting about it because they have sucesssfully moved on with there lives! Please don't make the wrong decision and get off it too soon just because of someone else's experience. I am so sick of this happening and I aways see the person who does relapse after and than trash talk suboxone like ot didn't work. It did it just wasn't used right! Suboxone saved me life and hundreds of others on here.
Helpful - 0
I'm on suboxone and it literally saved my life. I've been on it for quite sometime now and there isn't really anything bad I can say about it. What have you heard that's so awful?  I can't think of one negative thing.
Helpful - 0
Id just like to second all the other posts.it aint a miracle drug and you need to taper slowly after long term use. But if youve tried everything else or your a long term user,its a life saver im 2years 3 months clean because of sub.people will back you up no matter what u decide.
Helpful - 0
thnks to all for responses...after reading up on sub, every one is saying that the wd is worse than any other op..the whole reason i got on a sub prgm was fear of wd and now i feel like i set myself up for far worse...my sub dr is going to try a fast taper however after using op's for so long, i feel that wld not be the best option, so im damned if i do and damned if i dnt....not to mention the sever depression i have had since starting the subs....i just wish i cld be the old rebecca but i think she is gone forever and im not liking this new rebecca very much....
Helpful - 0
also wat if i need to be on it for life?...not cool at all..and the reason is in my area the sub drs are like puppet masters...es like very week itslike rollin dice.."will he give me my script this week?"...he once denied me the script bc i had an e.r visit and i actually brought the script they gave me to his office to turn it in..he told me to "use the drugs since u went and got them"....i thought i was doing the right thing, i mean a few mnths ago no freakin way wld i have "turned" in any op script, but i was punished for it none the less...i begged and pleaded and he seemed to take sme sick pleasure in watching me behave that way...so i went home and stared at this script for almost 48 hrs...i tried to tell myself "i will show him"!...i will beat this with out any hlp...hahaha...letsjust say i was wayyy wrng by hr 52 i was at the pharm and took all the pills with in 6 hrs....after i thought that this kind of "recovery" prgm is making my addiction worse...i mean how can i trust the saftey net that subs provide if i never knw if i amgettin em this week?.....i think i need to just be done with em but how?....thats my question...how....ct wont cut it..tried tooo many times and failed horribly
Helpful - 0
have u tried getting off of subs? if so is it as bad as most say? thanks for any and all advice....
Helpful - 0
I really think you're reading too much, everyone is different and if you've been taking opiates for 5 years I personally think the subs will work for you. Why are you asking yourself if you'll be on it for life? You're getting way ahead of yourself but I really think you need to find another doctor, that is just ridiculous!!! I go once a month and they do a urine test to make sure I'm not on opiates and get my script. Why do you have to go weekly? That doctor sounds evil. Anyway this is my 2nd time on suboxone, last time was 7 years ago and I was on them for about 2 years and that was the only thing that stopped me from using. I started lowering my dose until I was a 1 mg and then stopped. Nothing happened to me, I understand everyones different but had I gone thru what some people have said about suboxone I would not have gone back last year. It's been about 8 months this time. Look for another doctor, you'll be fine, don't freak out and take it one day at a time. If you didn't have the subs, after 5 years on opiates do you think you could just stop? I couldn't and the subs stop the cravings completely. As far as depression, I started on Cymbalta about 5 weeks ago and feel 100% better. I didn't want an anti depressant but I gave in and I'm glad I did. Write me anytime you want and ask away... Later and feel better
Helpful - 0
I've went a few days without my subs and the withdraw was nothing compared to opiates. I also agree you should find a new doctor. I go once a month too and get them monthly.
A fast taper will set you up to fail in my opinion.  You need to get through the mental part too. I take an antidepressant too and it makes a world of a difference. I've been on them for 3 years and I'm just now tapering. Its no walk in the park, but its not as bad as opiate wd.
Helpful - 0
See all these posts :-) you'll be ok
Helpful - 0
Yea I dont know what youve been reading but trust me subs arent as bad to come off of. If you take them as your suppose to and wean off slowly it can be very painless. Its when people read peoples stories online like this and then quit and try to taper very quickly that its painful. Then they write negative stories online about there experience with sub. Sub can be a life saver and you need not to worry about how long youll be on it. It wont be for life trust me there are very few about 2% that stay on it for life. Just focus on your recovery and when you feel your ready you will know.
Helpful - 0
thanks...
Helpful - 0
i wish i cld go mnthly...the drs around here are pretty much filled so u just follow watever rules they have in fear of being kicked frm the prgm....i never gave a dirty so one wld think after a few mnths there wld be some level of trust but like i mentioned i think he gets sme sick pleasure from seeing us dance for him.....if i cld find another dr i wld leave his prgm asap but that is not an option right now so i guess i put on my most comfortable dance shows and get to 2 stepin....;)
Helpful - 0
thank u all for the advice and words of encouragement...i feel less alone in this battle of mine...pain pill addiction is such a private hell...no one knws about it until its to late....families may think smething is going on but they never really knw until u either admit it or are so distructive  that u cant hide it any longer... ive lost everything ive worked for my home family friends everything and now as i sit here alone typing i look around and realize this site is all i have....a virtual shoulder...a cyber hug....in place of my family and friends....i will continue with the subs until i have a better handle on my emotions and mental state, i also feel i shld ask for smthng for the depression as after reading more i see that its is normal for me to be feeling this way...its so amazing that after mnths of group therapy and one on one couseling sessions that ive recieved more hlp and encouragment from this site...i wish i wld have joined sooner....thanks guys i look forward to sharing my recovery process with u all...keep me in ur thoughts as u all will be in mines....
Helpful - 0
Sounds like a good plan :-) you won't feel alone on this site. I haven't been here long but people are very caring and very nice so stick around even if it's just to say hi! Anti depressants do work but you may have to try a few before you find that works for you but don't give up. I was on Lexapro years ago and it worked and now they put me on Cymbalta which is also suppose to help with pain. I've been on it for about 6 weeks and I feel totally different. I was angry and down and didn't want to even talk to anybody and it's been a welcome change for me. I now go to work and I'm not sad/mad and I talk to people, I feel good! They started me on 30 mgs and the doctor wanted me to go to 60 after the first 3 weeks, but I feel fine at 30 so that's what I'm doing for now. Take care of yourself and a big cyber hug to you!! Hope you have a good night.
Helpful - 0
HI your at 2 high a dose to just quit you need to start to taper off ......we are not aloud to give out taper plans on the forum best bet is ask your doctor he can work one out for you togthere are other websites if you google sub you may find a taper plan but im all for getting your doctor involved when you get down to next to nothing your withdrawal wont be that bad coming off 16 will feel like a freight train hit you stick with us rhrew your taper we can support you its not ez but it will be worth it good luck and God bless......Gnarly
Helpful - 0
Suboxone  was a life saver for me as well as my wallet and probably family.  Off of opiates to a year on subs. I tapered from 8mg a day down to cutting 2mg strips into 0.50mg pieces once per day.   It was a program offered by a shrink and she saved my life.  I would go in once a month pee test and get another months supply,[She also gave me a script for Clonidine for when I was ready] it was up to me with her encouragement to reduce the doses over time but no pressure.  According to her research the success rate is much better with a longer taper.  A chance to have some normalcy return to your life.  I took my last 0.50mg dose on 3-10-12 and I suffered mild to moderate withdrawals consisting mostly of extreme fatigue. I am seeing a marked improvement begin this week, just fatigue very easily.  I am walking everyday until I return to running as previous to withdrawals. Thats my story...it worked for me!  Let me know how you are doing maybe I can help!  
Helpful - 0
ok so i just left drs office for a count and i had 2 more than i shld have and he flips!...when he asked me why i was completely honest with him telling him about the fears i was having...i told him i tryed to cut back to see if i was able to function on less...his reponse per batum.. "i will tell you when u are ready to taper, i am the dr, u are the addict, trust me and u will be a success story not a relapse waiting to happen"!....i was shocked into silence, put my head dwn and just agreed with everything he said even though i feel he is not "all" right...i mean did u guys have a say in ur recovery?...i really feel this dr is hurting my recovery...i think about using every time i knw i have to see him and when i leave his office its worse....last night i was up all night even though i took my subs....i dnt knw what to do guys...this is not good....
Helpful - 0
I honestly feel so bad for you, I know you say changing doctors isn't an option but I really think your recovery is nor going to be good with this doctor. You sure you can't find another one even If it's further away, the majority only require monthly visits so it may be worth it for you. This is the 2nd time you've been honest, the ER script and now this and that was his response?!! I'm sorry but you are the patient (customer) he works for you and he has no right taking to you like that. I would be reporting him ASAP! Yes, I do have a say with my doctor at every visit, last month they tried to get me to see the nurse practitioner (no offense) but I'm private pay and it's expensive and I told them I wanted to see the DOCTOR and I did. You either find a new doctor or you will fail, I wouldn't take that kind of talk from anybody. He's doing it because he can get away with it, if you have some now start looking for a new one and if not when you go back you better start standing up to this guy or it's not going to stop. When I read your post I was so mad!!! Wish I could give him a piece of my mind. I don't know what else to tell you but being honest with him isn't cutting it. So I imagine you didn't ask about anti depressants, do you have a regular doctor? Maybe they can help you out with some. So sorry girl, write me anytime. If I lived near you I'd go with you on your next visit!! I'm still mad.
Helpful - 0
you are correct! i did not ask for anything for depression...i just wanted out of his office....he makes me feel like an addict not a recovering addict...its funny that none of my pain managment drs ever made me feel this way.... feel like i already failed...i knw i cannot keep dealing with him...its only a matter of time before the addict in me says eff it u dnt deserve this....with my health i knw i can easily get back into pain management but i am so sick of having a partial life...if i can make it until another dr has an opening maybe ill be ok but if i am to be honest with myself i knw time is ticking and i dnt think i can take much more...this is the reason i started this thread bcuz i knew i wld be getting off of the subs one way or another and i wanted hlp and support....thank u so much....
Helpful - 0
Hey there!  You've got a lot of work to do here...you have to find another doctor to care for you!!

What you describe of your current doctor is horrible and disgusting. He should lose his license to practice medicine!  I'd love to report his a s s !!

Suboxone is a good drug when used appropriately and it's saved lives. You do NOT have to stay on any drug you don't want to take, however. You need to find a doctor somewhere who will help you taper off. You also need a lawyer!  

From what I've been told, the wd's from Sub are no different than any others and tapering makes it most tolerable. I'm worried about you...this doctor you see is a very toxic individual.  How much are you paying him? It's worth it to him to keep you on Sub forever AND TO KEEP YOU DEPENDENT! He's sick...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community