MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

how long.....

Hi everyone.  I am finishing my 3rd day clean from 15 years of being chained to tramadol.  This is the hardest thing I have ever done.  How long does this pain from withdrawal last? ?? I am scared of figuring out how to live and function without this drug. I have been on it so long I don't remember how I was without it.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Fyi, the poster named Karenlovesher4 is also on day 3, maybe you guys can be withdrawl/get clean buddies.

I KNOW that fear of wondering how in hell am I gonna live w/o pills. I just wanna tell you that right now your brain is rebounding and it is not "right" so the thoughts and fears you are having will subside as you improve. Your thoughts don't reflect reality right now! Like everything, you will re-learn how to live one day, one moment at a time. You are doing it right now! Keep focused on the present, and getting through the next hour. That's all you need to worry about:)

You're doing good!!!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Was reading your post and just wanted to chime in....
Hold tight and push yourself forward....the above post is right, w/d is NOT for the faint of heart, its for us bad *** beasts that can do it! You are one of those beasts so push yourself! I am still amazed by how much inner strength i found in myself thats really in all of us if we want it bad enough. Take hot, long, soaks in the Epsom Salt bathes and stay hydrated the best you can. My brain "zapps" came in waves where i found all i could do was sit down, put a cold rag on back of my neck, and breathe.
If i read corectly, your family is with u, get strength from them! Let them push u as well....moving forward, ALWAYS!
Helpful - 0
I am starting to feel better.  Just very very weak and shaky.  I hope the brain zaps stop soon as well. ....
Helpful - 0
Oh no I won't. I'm done with drugs. 19 days off oxy today for me. I remember my doc just giving me them few to try to see if they worked better than the oxy. They didn't. Or I didn't feel them? I ended up throwing them out after taking a few when I started my oxy detox thinking they would help. Then I started reading the scary horror stories about them and thought f¡ck that. So chucked them. Hang in there,you will feel better soon! xox
Helpful - 0
Krissy
Don't listen to your doctor.  It is very addictive. I was one of their first guinea pigs.  I didn't want to go on anything like percs set or vicodin. So they told me and my parents it was as addictive as tylenol.  The reason you are seeing so much about it now is it both sits on your opiate receptors as well as affecting 9 chemicals in your brain as an ssri. So you get hit with a double withdrawal.  It's not worth it.  It is also a dangerous withdrawal.  Seizures. My doctors were concerned because of the duration I was on it more so than the dosage. At times I was on more than 600 mg a day but for the last several years I was at 400 or less. I started tapering about a year ago but once I got down to 200 mg  it seemed to stop working.  I was experiencing withdrawal anyway.  Don't take it please. From what my best friend said of her withdrawal from oxy then her withdrawal from tramadol she would choose the oxy. W
Helpful - 0
Hi honey:

I had a lot of pain coming off 8 years of oxycodone.   Some of it was the same pain that I had BEFORE I went on the meds, just turned up 1000x.   Other pain was brand-new....like lower back pain, the one area of my body (lol) that I never had any issues with.

The lower back stuff went away in about 2 weeks.   I turned a HUGE corner on day 16.  I know it is hard, but try to just keep putting the 24 hours behind you.   Do anything you can (besides taking Tramadol or opiates) to make yourself feel good.   Long, hot baths, bracing showers, watch funny movies (I must have watched Get Him to the Greek 11 times) eat whatever your stomach can handle.

I know everyone says to eat healthy foods, but in the first 2 weeks of withdrawals I just let myself have whatever tasted good.  I couldn't handle much more than Ramen noodles in days 1-10, but I distinctly remember somewhere in the 2nd week, my wonderful husband going out at 2 am to an all-night supermarket to get me a package of Dove bars because I was craving them, and he wanted me to have a treat.

Your opiod receptors are screaming right now and your body is perceiving that as pain.  Anything that will increase your endorphins will help...and that means anything pleasurable, from sex, to laughter, to a deep massage.

You're doing great; detox is not for the faint of heart.  Keep posting; soon this will all be a bad memory!

Hugs,
-Robin
Helpful - 0
The withdrawal are different for everyone. How much have you been using daily? Length of time and quantity = severity and duration in most cases. If your at day 3 then awesome! No reason to turn back now...
I'm on day 2 of wd' s after using tramadol for 5 yrs about 10-12 100mg a day....yikes!!!
Helpful - 0
Oh wow,I didn't even know tramadol has been around that long. I always thought it was relatively new because of all the controversy about whether or not it was addictive....my doc gave me a sample pack months ago and told me it was non addictive....from what I've read,what a big fat lie that was!!! I've also heard it's harder to detox off tramadol than some opiates because of the anti depressant in it. So if you've made it to day 3 cold turkey,I commend you!! Hang in there,and someone that's been on tramadol will be a long soon I'm sure. :) keep posting,it helps!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community